Home » Literary works » Novel / Chapter » Fanfiction

The Augury of RiverClan - Chapter 7

by TheScribe

"Riverpaw," Pinestep meowed firmly, "is it your wish to enter the mysteries of StarClan as a medicine cat?"

"It is," Riverpaw answered as he stared at the brightly lit Moonstone.

Pinestep nodded approvingly and looked at the other medicine cats: Pearnose of ThunderClan, Aspenthroat and Honeypaw of ShadowClan, Cloudwing of SkyClan, and Slowflight of WindClan. They all dipped their heads as Pinestep motioned with her tail towards the Moonstone. "Warriors of StarClan, I present you with this apprentice. He has chosen th path of a medicine cat. Grant him your wisdom and insight so that he may understand your ways and heal his Clan in accordance with your will."

"Riverpaw! Riverpaw!" the medicine cats called cheerfully. Even Cloudwing, who had always looked so grumpy at Gatherings, seemed to be proud that another cat had joined their ranks.

"Touch your nose to the Moonstone so that you may meet with StarClan," Pinestep instructed. "May your dreams be filled with peace and prosperity for our Clan."

Riverpaw felt a shiver ripple up his spine as he pressed his muzzle against the stone and immediately fell asleep.

An orange and white tortoiseshell with stars in her fur dipped her head towards Riverpaw. "Welcome, young one," she mewed. "I am Dappled Pelt, and I shall be your StarClan mentor."

"Dappled Pelt?" Riverpaw asked in awe, eyes wide. "You.. you were the first medicine cat of our Clan!"

The she-cat nodded, her golden eyes shining brightly. "I will be your StarClan mentor, young one. It is my job to guide your paws so that you may do the best you can for your Clanmates and to do that, you must obey the will of StarClan and understand our ways."

"I promise that I'll do my best," he mewed giddily. "I want to learn how to read your signs and omens! But I don't want a prophecy." He paused for a moment and his whiskers twitched. "Unless, of course, it's a good prophecy, in which case throw it at me!"

Dappled Pelt mrrowed with laughter as her tail waved through the air. The she-cat shook her head and said, "You will receive a prophecy if it is time for one. But for now, there are no more to give out, especially not to apprentices. However, I do have a warning for you, young one..." Dappled Pelt sat down on the ground and wrapped her tail around her paws. "A kit will be born that shall hold the fate of ThunderClan and RiverClan alike in her paws. But for that to happen, RiverClan must survive, no matter the cost." Her golden gaze met his green stare; Riverpaw felt like her eyes were the eyes of every cat he had ever known. "Keep your Clan alive, Riverpaw."

Riverpaw felt his body jolt as he woke up back in the cave with the other medicine cats. Most were still sleeping, but Aspenthroat was not. "Do not share what StarClan has told you with any cat except your leader and mentor," she instructed. Her ginger and gray fur was covered in the dark of the cave on one side and bated in the light of the Moonstone on the other. Her amber gaze was simultaneously as warm as the green leaf sun against his pelt and as cold as a leaf bare wind. "May StarClan light your path. 

starlitmind wrote a review...

Thank you so much for posting the next chapter on here too even though it's harder omg <3 I was trying so hard not to read ahead so I could wait and have a genuine reaction for my review xD

OH are we going into the moonstone again? I don't know if that's the right way to phrase that xD but ooh, it's going to be so interesting to see everyone again!

I love how here again we get to see that "tradition" or cheering at important events - and I think the latter sentence is a nice tiny detail xD it's nice to see how they really take pride in your profession, if that's what you'd call it? duty?

I think this may be a bit of a quick transition? You could describe something like how he arrives - was he laying down and suddenly woke up, as one does after sleeping at night? or did he just kind of appear, like teleportation? I wonder if he felt dizzy or nauseated? Just some thoughts ^_^

I love how giddy and excited Riverpaw is - I'm guessing the human equivalent might be meeting someone that was your role model and a leader of the career / field you are pursuing. You portrayed that bubbliness nicely here, the way Riverpaw switched topics somewhat sharply and with the enthusiasm!

However, I do have a warning for you, young one...

of course you do >.> you mentioned that the dream he was having was foreshadowing, so I can only imagine what's going to go wrong >.<

Riverpaw felt like her eyes were the eyes of every cat he had ever known.

Are you saying her eyes are pretty generic / nothing special? Or a combination of all the cats' eyes? I'm assuming the latter maybe, because I feel like he would be in awe of her and as a member of the starclan, she must be pretty cool xD lol I'm sorry if your intention was super obvious and I'm just silly :p

"Keep your Clan alive, Riverpaw."

NOOO that's all we get to know AHHH the anticipation!! additionally, I wish Riverpaw could've gotten more time to talk to her; I feel like that could spark some short but interesting convos; but alas, I'm sure you can't stay there for too long, and I'm guessing you wanted to leave us with that foreboding sense (which worked!!!) I'm wondering who this cat is going to be , hm. I was going to say Applepaw, but I realized that the kit hasn't been born yet xD

"May StarClan light your path.

(oops just missing end quotation)

Okay so flooding, some saviour kit, and a threat to RiverClan 0.0 I think these are all connected? it's a bit early for me to make theories, since I'm not the best at picking up clues like that cx but hmm, I'm very intrigued (and worried) about what is in the fate of this clan :O

TheScribe says...

I won't mind if you read ahead-- sometimes, I find that it helps to read a chapter, right down your feelings about it, and then go back through and look at it again, if that makes any sense. If nothing else, it helps with length XDD

stygianmoon17 wrote a review...

Hey there, stygianmoon17 here for a review :D

My little list of typos:

He has chosen th path of a medicine cat.

"A kit will be born that shall hold the fate of ThunderClan and RiverClan

"Kit", unless it's a way of saying "kitten"

Her ginger and gray fur was covered in the dark of the cave on one side and bated in the light of the Moonstone on the other.

"bathed"

as a leaf bare wind.

This one is more like, I don't get it. "As cold as a leaf bare wind." what does that mean ? As cold as a bare leaf in the wind, makes sense I guess. But this doesn't.

Another thing I noticed was how you refer to the cats with healing powers, I think, as "medicine cats". Either it's medic cats, or healing cats, or "insert word that describes the person that heals people" cats. Or then, Medicine Cats. T
Otherwise, I don't have much to point out. The writing flowed beautifully and the descriptions were really intense. It's clear you know a lot about cats (and that you're also a huge fan of Warrior Cats ;)) which adds a lot ! Good continuation in future chapters, I'll be following them :P

TheScribe says...

In Warriors, "leaf bare" is what they call winter :P

"My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together."
— Bishop Desmond Tutu