Home » Literary works » Short Story » Other

Tuesday

by anonymousx

Amy ran the straightener through her already flat, black hair. She needed to make sure that her appearance was perfectly unflawed. Her make-up had already been done, but she leaned into the mirror, double checking for any mistakes. She couldn't afford them. She smiled, then her face returned back to her normally complacant and resting frown. Her small, New York apartment was spotless, but Amy was the type that if she had visitors, she'd still find something to clean, a mess to perfect. She had a job interview today at a new editing company. It was a start up, and normally Amy didn't take the risk, but she had grown tired of her current company and rent was increasing next month. She needed to make the leap, no matter how much anxiety that it brought her. Her boss, Roger, was constantly harping on how she wanted things to be perfect, so much so that she lacked creativity. He told her that she couldn't think outside of the box, and he needed her to step it up. He never once mentioned he was going to fire her, but in her head, she was never going to amount to what he wanted from her.

Amy paced around her apartment while waiting for the time to pass. It felt like the clock on the wall was taunting her with every strike of the minute hand. She got ready too early. She always did this. Her mom used to tease her about how early she got up and got ready for school or other events. "Sit down, take a breath, life isn't so serious," her mom would whisper. "You always act like you have ants in your pants, Amy." It never made her feel better. It always made her feel worse. Her siblings weren't like this. Her older sister was the star of the show. Amy never felt like she could reach the top like her sister had. Her younger brother was the same, but was the baby of the family so even though he made messes and talked back, he was always given everything he had ever wanted. Her parents never told her directly, but she knew that she had to be perfect, otherwise things would just go wrong.

Amy looked at the clock again and knew it was time to leave for her interview. She would be at least 10 minutes early, which gave her some time to make sure she found parking and found the office on time. She thought back to her job with Roger and how secure it was. Did she really need to make this change right now? It's always possible that Roger could give her a raise if she asked? Or maybe, just maybe, she could cut back on a few other expenses to make up for the extra raise in rent. Amy groaned and sat down on her perfectly positioned sofa, and adjusted the TV remote on the coffee table. She decided that, in this moment, it was better to stay and gain tenure at the job she had, then to start something new and risk upsetting the universe. 

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:39 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hello, here to leave a quick review!

It was a good read, and you really bring out the character of your protagonist with your words.
It was simple and short and written with great detail.

"Amy ran the straightener through her already flat, black hair. She needed to make sure that her appearance was perfectly unflawed. Her make-up had already been done, but she leaned into the mirror, double checking for any mistakes. She couldn't afford them. She smiled, then her face returned back to her normally complacant and resting frown. Her small, New York apartment was spotless, but Amy was the type that if she had visitors, she'd still find something to clean, a mess to perfect."

"Her boss, Roger, was constantly harping on how she wanted things to be perfect, so much so that she lacked creativity. He told her that she couldn't think outside of the box, and he needed her to step it up. He never once mentioned he was going to fire her, but in her head, she was never going to amount to what he wanted from her."

This was a really great introduction and helps your understanding of the protagonist, and how she thinks and behaves. Also, I think you meant 'complacent' here instead of 'complacant'.

"Amy paced around her apartment while waiting for the time to pass. It felt like the clock on the wall was taunting her with every strike of the minute hand. She got ready too early. She always did this. Her mom used to tease her about how early she got up and got ready for school or other events. "Sit down, take a breath, life isn't so serious," her mom would whisper. "You always act like you have ants in your pants, Amy." It never made her feel better. It always made her feel worse. Her siblings weren't like this. Her older sister was the star of the show. Amy never felt like she could reach the top like her sister had. Her younger brother was the same, but was the baby of the family so even though he made messes and talked back, he was always given everything he had ever wanted. Her parents never told her directly, but she knew that she had to be perfect, otherwise things would just go wrong."

This was a really important paragraph and I really like how you tell us about your character and what growing up was like for her. You also learn about her insecurities and her mentality regarding her parents.

"Amy looked at the clock again and knew it was time to leave for her interview. She would be at least 10 minutes early, which gave her some time to make sure she found parking and found the office on time. She thought back to her job with Roger and how secure it was. Did she really need to make this change right now? It's always possible that Roger could give her a raise if she asked? Or maybe, just maybe, she could cut back on a few other expenses to make up for the extra raise in rent. Amy groaned and sat down on her perfectly positioned sofa, and adjusted the TV remote on the coffee table. She decided that, in this moment, it was better to stay and gain tenure at the job she had, then to start something new and risk upsetting the universe."

I can understand her need for perfection and it was really interesting to read because I have never met a perfectionist before. Her habits and actions are typical of a perfectionist and it reflects her anxious nature as well.

Over all, this was a good read. Not much happens in this story, but it's interesting to learn more about the different kinds of people you might encounter in life. The plus point of your story is it's simplicity and I really hope to read more of your works.

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:57 am

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!!

First Impression: Well this was quite an interesting read. We go into quite a bit of detail about our protagonist here and her personality and backstory is really brought out well here. Seems like a neat little package here...so anyway lemme get down to a touch more detail down below.

Okay...well quite a start there. Certainly a couple of interesting lines there to draw the attention of a reader right away. Its also got some really good background there about the protagonist and how they generally work, and also the boss so its got some good information there right at the start and its easy to figure out where this story is going and what the possible stakes here might be. A pretty good start at any rate.

That's some pretty nicely done backstory right there. It certainly sums up the sort of situation that she grew up in quite well and introduces us to what the family is like as well. Its definitely helping connect the reader with the character and really setting the scene here for what's happening.

Oh...okay...well that was a bit of a twist there in the end. Did not expect her to just give it up and convince herself that she didn't have to do it after all. Well...at least its done fairly realistically and upsetting the universe definitely sounds like a bad idea so perhaps it was a good plan after all on Amy's part.

Overall: Overall I think you've done a great job here with this little story. Not much happens here, but its still quite fun to read and its definitely bringing across a lot of character and backstory despite the lack of too much plot. Anyway, that's all I've gotta say for now. :D

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:24 am
ImaginativeAlice wrote a review...

Hey, Alice is here to give a review!!!!
(Probably after a long time)

It was a good read, I rarely come across peaple who are dying for perfection, I am really not that kind of a person and I don't want to be. The little things you added about her family and what they think about her personality is great. I see one of your work right next to this one named Monday, I am definitely gonna check it out.

TINY MINY NITPICK

She smiled, then her face returned back to her normally complacant

I think 'complacant' was meant to be 'complacent'

SUGGESTIONS

Maybe you could have simplified some of the lines in the work like these ones, these lines are complicated and the readers will get lost with words.

Her younger brother was the same, but was the baby of the family so even though he made messes and talked back, he was always given everything he had ever wanted.

Her make-up had already been done, but she leaned into the mirror, double checking for any mistakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and adjusted the TV remote on the coffee table.

It's a habit of a perfectionist, I mean what the hell!!!

"Sit down, take a breath, life isn't so serious," her mom would whisper.

My mom just say the opposite thing lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope to read your other works
Bye!!!

PaigeFantasy wrote a review...

hi, good job! this to me seemed like a story about a young woman going to work on a Tuesday.
I like the little backstory you added for Amy. it just added a little more to the story, and I then thought of her differently.
I also like how she thought she had to be perfect, perfection with everything. it just adds even more to it. :)
I hope you have a good day, and keep writing like this!

anonymousx says...

Thanks! This is an extension of a short series about if Tuesday was a person, how they'd act, their personalities, ect. I wrote Monday in 2014 and just found this website again so thought I'd throw in my second chapter.

PaigeFantasy says...

cool!

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind