z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Alarmer's Market

by waywardxwanderer


The Man Who Sells Death has a business of bombs ‘cause it’s booming

He’s got poisons and shotguns and greed and unkindness the same

The Girl Who Vends Time says the market is so time consuming

So she’s run out of stock, and the storefront’s gone up in a flame

The world, it turns round on an axis

Of an extra 180 degrees

Time’s tipping over, clocks turning like wheels

And cities fall in a slight breeze

The Lady of Life says that sorrow should not go unspoken

She thinks moments mean far more than all of the time that we spend

And she says that what was once whole can never truly be broken

Though a life may be over, death does not equal the end

Rocks may fall, insects scream

Serpents crawl, dreamless dream

At the end of the day, the one constant is change

So in that particular way, it’s all the same

Those who aren’t blind and shall never be cannot see

Those who are thoughtless can think beyond measure of thought

Is a lie still a lie if the truth truly lies uncertain?

Can the spending of time make up for the time being bought?

The stores have been emptied and shelves hold not more than a breath

The market is closed and doors shuttered in light of the dawn

So together the Lady of Life and the Man Who Sells Death

They sing sweet pleasantries as they walk arm in arm ‘til we’re gone


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
968 Reviews


Points: 2
Reviews: 968

Donate
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:21 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



I think this poem is about change and how we can embrace it in our lines.Horror and happiness of life can coexist.Life goes on no matter what happens.There are many questions to ask about life.We can’t spend time thinking,we must live life.I enjoyed reading this poem.This was a nice read.I hope you have a wonderful and amazing day and night!






Thanks so much for the review!



User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 81482
Reviews: 672

Donate
Sun May 30, 2021 3:28 pm
View Likes
Plume wrote a review...



Hey there! I noticed this poem has been in the green room for a bit, so I just thought I'd give it a review to bump it out!

Wow. I really enjoyed reading this poem. The rhyme scheme was fantastic, the environment you created was marvelous, the wordplay... it was absolutely stupendous. I like this sort of mystical abstract market you've created and then written a poem about. The characters within it were super cool, what with the Lady of Life and the Man Who Sells Death and the Girl Who Vends Time. It's really great, and you should definitely be proud of it.

I think one of my favorite things about this poem was the rhyme scheme. At first, I was a little put off by the fact that it switched stanza to stanza, but I think by the end I was vibing with it. I like the alternation between longer lines and shorter lines. The longer stanzas had a more sonnet vibe to them (I'm not sure if that was intentional) and you can even kind of read them in iambic pentameter, which was cool.

I think some of my favorite stanzas were the last one and also the first one, especially the lines "The Man Who Sells Death has a business of bombs ‘cause it’s booming/He’s got poisons and shotguns and greed and unkindness the same." I'm a sucker for clever wordplay like that. I also thought the stanza about the lady of life was so poetic and beautiful. The lines about death not truly being the end and about whole things that can't truly be broken were both sad and hopeful at the same time, and I thought it was absolutely lovely.

One thing I wondered about was the character of the Girl Who Vends Time. I feel like you mentioned both the Lady of Life and the Man Who Sells Death more than once in the poem, but she only got one small line. I wondered if you could perhaps reinforce her being there, since now it feels a little more trivial/only there for the sake of that one line. At least that was my opinion. Again, this is more my opinion, so feel free to disregard.

Specifics

So together the Lady of Life and the Man Who Sells Death

They sing sweet pleasantries as they walk arm in arm ‘til we’re gone


I think that this would work better if you deleted the "they" at the beginning of the second line. I feel like you don't need it there because you've already said "the Lady of Life and the Man Who Sells Death" in the line before. The syllables would still work if you got rid of it, I think.

Overall: really great poem. The flow was great, and gah it was just so good. I hope to read more of your work on this site. Until next time!




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 184
Reviews: 27

Donate
Fri May 07, 2021 8:20 pm
View Likes
FourLeafClover wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm here to review your poem!

So, first of all, this is a really good poem!
I like the way you labeled things certain ways, such as "The Man Who Sells Death." It was a very interesting way of putting it, in my opinion.
I also didn't find any spelling mistakes (although I might have that wrong because I suck at spelling) or any other errors related to grammar, so that's also good.
I also like how you said things like "Those who are thoughtless can think beyond measure of thought." The lines like this leave multiple different ways to interpret them, and I think it's fun to try to figure out what authors mean, or if the author meant multiple meanings. It leaves the reader trying to solve a fun riddle, which is pretty cool.
Also, to add on to the awesomeness of your poem, it was extremely captivating. It really sucked me into it, and I know that many readers love it when that happens, so good work with that!

Now, the cons.
Luckily, I only found one con, so that means that you did a really great job!
The only con I found was that the wording would be slightly (but only slightly) confusing to some readers. For example, "dreamless dream" might cause some readers to think something along the lines of: "Wait, what? How can it be a dream, but there's no dream? That makes absolutely no sense." Those readers would probably be more of the practical sort that don't really appreciate works like this, though, so I don't think you have to worry about that too much.

Thanks for reading the review! I hope you have a fantastic day!






Ohh I didn't even consider that that may be a problem lol, thanks for pointing that out!! and thanks so much for the review!!!



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 390
Reviews: 103

Donate


If you can't get out of your comfort zone, you'll never find what you're looking for. Don't make things quick and easy to feel better short term. Make a change and then you'll feel better longer term.
— Frinderman