z

Young Writers Society



lost in the waves

by Liminality, Arcticus, starlitmind



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
103 Reviews


Points: 390
Reviews: 103

Donate
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:29 pm
View Likes
waywardxwanderer wrote a review...



Hello! Wallflower here with a quick review (:

This poem is lovely! The imagery throughout the whole thing serves to bring the reader to the scene you describe, and the parallels and metaphors between other aspects of our world serves to create a universal feel in which everyone can take part.

The transition between the beginning, setting the scene, and the ending, the query of the fleeting nature of everything is so smooth and wonderfully done. Truly, this poem tells a story of human pondering and our sudden awareness of the nature of everything.

Overall, it's absolutely fantastic!! Your pacing and diction are lovely, and the concepts explored are vast, yet you've managed to fit them into a relatively short poem. Fantastic job!!




Liminality says...


Thanks so much for the review, wayward! :D



User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 5211
Reviews: 184

Donate
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:16 pm
View Likes
veeren wrote a review...



HELLO THERE YOU THREE VEEREN HERE FOR A REVIEW

can i just first point out how absolutely gorgeous these lines are?? from beginning to end you had me hooked on to the edge of the last word in each line yearning for the next. extremely well done on all of your parts, as i'm not sure who contributed what, but it was done to perfection nonetheless.

the one line i will say i have the most trouble with is

but the sand is thinning, and i wonder
how much longer the path will stay paved


while the line is written beautifully and i understand the thought behind it, part of me feels as if it's out of place. while it stays true the sentiment of being unsure of things coming and going, perhaps it's the idea of just something being paved that is throwing me off?

it could just be me, a city boy talking. when i think paved, i think concrete and sidewalk, and trying to imagine that disappearing in relation to the sand thinning is very difficult. while the metaphorical side of me is like "stop being so literal" my caveman brain is saying "sidewalk no go bye bye" so this may just be a me thing and i can put no blame on you all for this.

now as for the line

it's hard to restrain grains of sand
in your hand as the escape


like COME ON THAT IS SO GORGEOUS. the assonance??? the rhyme pattern?? in-line?? absolutely majestic i love it.

tying everything together at the end seemed to come almost naturally for you all. you took no effort to make everything solidified with one last thought and i enjoyed it very much. i hope you all decide to write more together, and if not i hope to read more of your works individually.

thank you guys for sharing!




User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22098
Reviews: 455

Donate
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:23 am
View Likes
Hijinks wrote a review...



Hi you three @Liminality @Arcticus @starlitmind! I loved your poem collab so I wanted to drop by with a quick review for you ^^

Aah wow I adore the imagery in the opening two stanzas. The idea of walking back and forth through a door frame, and then comparing that to waves lapping against a shore, is such a unique and unusual description - but it works super well and the image creates a bit of unease which suits this poem perfectly.

I also enjoyed the simple rhyming scheme; it creates a lovely flow between the lines, it's subtle so it doesn't create the feel of a nursery rhyme, and it doesn't compromise the line structure or imagery at all! Honestly I would expect no less from three such talented poets ;)

I have some more specific thoughts for most of the stanzas, so let's go through those as well!

we keep walking in and out
like waves moving to and fro at shore

So the images in this stanza convey a sense of tension, to me at least, and I feel like "walking" is a fairly neutral verb that doesn't do anything to add to this mood. I think something like "prowling" or "pacing" would be more specific and strengthen this couplet!
The other thing I wanted to mention is that this stanza is the only place you use a simile - you say you're like waves, instead of simply saying you are waves. But the rest of the poem talks about time as though it literally is sand. So I personally feel that if you simply cut out "like" in this stanza, and made the entire poem into a metaphor, it'd be even more impact. If you did that, you'd probably want to add a comma or dash after "out" so there's a nice pause there!

is each grain swept away a moment
that could have been saved?

I really like how you use line breaks in this couplet -> after establishing that the grains of sand = moments in time, it adds extra meaning by moving on to lament how they're lost (and could've been saved).
Between this one and the next couplet you do repeat "grain" twice, though, so I'd just suggest seeing if you can use a synonym, or reword it slightly, to avoid that repetition!

It's hard to restrain grains of sand
in your hands as they escape

Actually, reading this stanza, I definitely wouldn't suggest you swap out "grains" for anything else here - so if you do decide to get rid of the repetition, I'd recommend doing so in the previous couplet. The reason being, there's some beautiful assonance in this stanza - "restrain grains" and "sand / in your hands" create such a melodic sound - and I definitely don't think you should get rid of that c:

as they slip through your fingers, you know
they were never meant to say.

First, I really like how you end on a slant rhyme ("escape" / "stay") instead of a true rhyme, as it complements the idea of something (ie the rhyming scheme) not being meant to stay. It also just creates a bit of an unresolved feeling that matches the sentiments in the poem.
I do feel that the first line of this couplet is a bit awkward though? Not on its own, but if we take it in the context of the previous line:
"...in your hands as they escape / as they slip through your fingers, you know"
Because of your decision not to use punctuation, this starts to feel a bit like a run-on sentence. Usually, lacking punctuation doesn't have that problem, as you can tell when a thought ends that there's an unspoken full-stop there, ya know? However here the two thoughts - sand escaping and sand slipping through your fingers - don't feel fully separated, so as a result I read them as a continuous sentence.
I don't have any particularly good suggestions on how to remedy this, so just something to mull over!

All in all though, I love this poem so much. I enjoy how simplistic it is in structure, capitalization, punctuation, and imagery - it's an easy read but there's still so much to discover while you're reading it! I hope some of my comments & suggestions prove helpful to you all, and I really hope you write more poetry collabs in the future c: and maybe I can join some hehe

whatcha <3




starlitmind says...


THANKS FOR THE AMAZING REVIEW AS ALWAYS, WHATCHA!!! <3 <3 <3



Liminality says...


Thanks for the review, whatcha! Loved hearing your thoughts <3 (and yes we should definitely collab sometime!)



User avatar
137 Reviews


Points: 21503
Reviews: 137

Donate
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:03 pm
View Likes
stygianmoon17 wrote a review...



Woooow that frame. It’s so creative and original at the same time, and it gives off such nature vibes it’s awesome.

The poem is short, and yet each line is so effective and so unique in its very own way. I love the imagery, how it represents the way you try to hold on onto something that keeps slipping through your fingers. It’s beautiful. I know “beautiful” isn’t exactly the most descriptive word to use, since it kinda sounds like I’m in primary. But there’s literally no other word. There’s a beauty in this poem I just can’t find another word to use to describe it.

(By the way, this has nothing to do with any of this review, but the frame kind of gives off this tribal sense to it. Like a tatoo. Which for a poem about the impermanence of things, is pretty ironic.)

Aaa did hats pretty much it! I really don’t have anything to say about this poem except for praise after praise. So nice poem, and good job to Liminality, Arcticus and starlitmind :P




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 154
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:17 am
View Likes
Ducklinstories wrote a review...



Hey Ducklin here to review!!!

I really adore the flow of the poem it's really smooth and soft. The word use gives a good view of the message that you want to bring to the reader.

The lay-out is aesthetically pleasing and something I first saw on the site, so it's nice to see that people try new things!

The ending could have been a bit more powerful. sorry if it sounds weird but there is no better word to describe it.

Overall was the poem fantastic,
keep going

-E.





The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats