Home » Literary works » Short Story » Fantasy

Becoming the Big Bad Wolf

by AilahEvelynMae

My name was Lynn. When I was younger, I was despised by the other wolves. I was an outcast and I was hated by all those who belonged to my pack. I was seen as a weakling who was better off dead. I was a liar. This is my story of how I defeated my greatest enemy and became known as THE BIG BAD WOLF.

My life was already ruined before I was born. Unlike the rest in my pack, I am half Wolf and half human. I was the son of the leader of the pack. My father was known as the bravest wolf to ever live. Whenever he spoke, the others cowered before him. My father was big in stature and he was so muscular that the wolf cubs cried whenever they saw him. There were many legends about my father. I have heard that he once slaughtered an entire village of humans and ate them alive. Another legend says he attacked a school of children and murdered them all… with his eyes closed. Others say he was so ruthless, that he must have been born without a heart. I believe that this is true. My father was heartless. He craved murder. But more than anything, he loved Sarah-Lynn.

Sarah-Lynn was a beautiful woman who lived in the people village. She is also my mother. My father desperately wanted to marry her, but every time he approached the people village, the villagers would cry “WOLF! WOLF! It is the big, scary, and UGLY wolf!! My father’s heart was broken, because of the way the people treated him. The grief became too much to bear. One night, my father approached the village of Sarah-Lynn. My father knocked on her door, then hid in the bushes beside her small, but lovely home. Sarah-Lynn answered the door. “Hello?” She said. “Good evening” replied my father. “Who is there? Said Sarah Lynn, cautiously looking around. “It is I, the love of your life” answered my father. This night was the first night of a beautiful relationship that changed both of their lives. Every night, my father would hide outside her house. They had the most romantic conversations, but still, my father was too ashamed to reveal his true identity. “If you saw me, you would never feel love for me” he replied, as she begged him to reveal himself to her. My fathers relationship with Sarah-Lynn completely changed him. He was no longer a heartless monster, but rather a wolf who was ashamed of himself. My father was desperate to become human, but he knew it was

not possible.

Finally, one night things changed. “Please” Said Sarah-Lynn “don’t hide from me anymore. I promise I will still love you. If I cannot see you, at least let me feel you.” That is not possible” replied my father “the temptation will be too great. You will open your eyes.” The next day when my father met with my mother, he found that she had ripped both of her eyes out. “I did this for you, my love. Now I will never see you, but you must let me feel you. Please, come closer so that we may be together.” My father agreed. They began to meet. They grew closer, until one day my mother told my father that she was pregnant with his child. Yeah, that was me. That was when my father told her who, or what, he really was. She still loved him for who he was. She loved him. She cared for him.

Like I said, my life has been ruined since before I was born. Why? The curse, that’s why. Yeah, so my parents tried everything to make my father human. They tried medication, special diets, surgery… but nothing worked. My father was disowned from the wolf pack. They acknowledged him as a disgrace to the pack. He no longer belonged to them. He was also an outcast. My parents visited the Fairy Godmother as a last resort. She was an old, crazy lady, but she was able to guarantee my father a chance to become human… as long as he went on a long and boring quest and gathered six magic items first. That is another totally different story though. Long story short, my father ALMOST completed his quest. He DID find five of the magic items, but he died before he found the last one. He died from choking on a jawbreaker… I know, it’s a pretty pathetic death. SO ANYWAYS, after his death, the Godmother reminded my mother of one tiny tiny detail she forgot to mention…

“If your husband does not complete his quest for whatever reason (probably death), it is your unborn child’s responsibility to complete the quest by his 21st birthday or ELSE HE WILL DIE TOOOOOOOOOOO. When he completes the quest he will become human and you will all live HAPPILY EVER AFTER. You can all be together and feel so, so happy!”

So… yeah that’s about it! Except the last part of the quest was the hardest part and it was literally impossible. The final part of the quest required me to capture the most hated person in all the land. I searched far and wide, hunted down horrible murderers, but yet I could not find the most hated of them all.

In my darkest days, the days I felt like giving up, I remembered my father. I remembered the strong wolf he was. He would not have given up. I needed to do this. I needed to be loved. I can’t give up either. I must press forward and live up to his expectations for me. I remembered my mother. Her beautiful, smiley face. I don’t want to be alone anymore. I want us to be together. I want to be normal, like the rest of the humans.

When my father died, my mother cried so much that she drowned in her own tears. Once she was gone, I was left to live with the wolf pack. I was ridiculed. I was the son of the disgrace of the pack, who had once been seen as a hero. I was half human. I was not as strong as them, or as fast as them. I set out to complete my fathers quest when I was eight years old. I promised the other wolves that I would complete the quest and make them proud. I needed them to like me. I needed someone to belong to. I don’t want to be an orphan anymore. I had never had a real family like the rest of the wolves, so this was my only chance to become who I was meant to be. If I could complete the quest, I could become human. Maybe, just maybe the Godmother could bring my parents back. We could all live together forever, as humans… just the way it was supposed to be.

Every year, I returned to the village of my mother to remember her. I hid on the outskirts of the village. Away from the prying eyes of the humans. When they see me, they want to kill me. As I approached the village I saw a boy. He is surrounded by his family. He is so loved. But then, I heard the cry of the boy “ITS A WOLF! A WOLF! The big bad Wolf is here!!!” At first I panicked. Then, I realized that the boy had not seen me. I was still out of sight. All of the villagers flooded the field where the boy was standing. When they arrived, the boy burst out laughing at them. “Haha, you are easily fooled! Such scaredy cats! Ha ha!” The villagers scoffed at the boy, turned around and returned to the village. “Such a brat” I thought “why does he get to have a family and I do not? Why does he get to be human, but I am a horrible monster. Why?”

The next year, I returned to the village again. I saw the same boy standing in the field surrounded by his family. He looked slightly older now. Again, the boy proceeded to cry “WOOOLLLFFFFFFFF! IT'S A WOLFFFF! HELP ME!” This time, the villagers ran even faster to meet the boy. And again, he burst out laughing at them and teased them for being so easily fooled. The people seemed even more agitated now, they scolded him and then returned to their homes.

The year after that, it happened again. Except this time, when the villagers were leaving I heard something that caught my attention. “He has done it again.” Said one of the villagers. “He must be the most hated person in all of the land. Such an annoying kid” said another. They laughed and then walked away.

I had an epiphany. This is him. This is the one I need to capture. I had never hurt anyone, especially a child. But I had to. This was my only chance. I had to live up to my father’s expectations, avenge my mother’s death, prove worthy to my clan, and beat the curse that was bound to kill me on my 21st birthday, only one year away. I remembered the words of the fairy godmother so clearly,

“Your son must complete your quest by capturing the most hated person in the land. You can all be together again! You will be so loved and you can become the person you are meant to be.” and now I had found him. It was time.

A few weeks later, I approached the village. I saw the boy. He was alone with his sheep in the field. “Here I go… I CAN do this” I thought as I tried to control my fear.

3…

2…

1…

GOOOOOOOO!

I ran as fast as I could. I pounced on the boy and he began to scream.

ITS THE WOLF! HE IS HERE!!! PLEASE HELP ME!

This was the first time I ever saw him close up. He was very handsome. He had coal black eyes, with sun-streaked brown hair. His skin was already ice pale, but when he saw me up close he went cross eyed and his eyes rolled back into his head. He was human. I despised him. He had everything and he was everything I wanted to be.

It was easy to capture him after that. I just picked him up and took him back to my small home in the forest. “Fairy Godmother! I have completed my fathers quest! I have done it! Please make me human!” At first nothing happened. The room was quiet for multiple minutes, until I tried calling again. Nothing happened. “Why is nothing happening? I have done what you have asked! Please… I want to be human now…please...”

“Oh silly you” said a small voice. I looked and saw the fairy godmother. “You poor thing” she said. She chuckled and sat down at a chair I had positioned to face the small window I had in my home. “Take a seat” she said “we have a lot to discuss.” “What is going on?” I asked. “Why am I not human yet?” “You poor thing” she repeated again. I was so confused. “Look at yourself” she said. I looked at myself in the reflection of a puddle I used to bathe. I just looked like myself. An outcast. An orphan. Someone who doesn’t belong anywhere. A tear escaped my eye. I did not like looking at myself. I was ashamed, just like my father. “I don’t understand.” I said. She smiled. “I know,” she said. “Sometimes the truth hurts. Sometimes we want what others have. Sometimes we want things so badly that we try to make them true, even though they are not meant to be. As a result of that, we start to believe they are true.” “I don’t understand,” I said. “Lynn, look at yourself.” I looked again, but had to look away because of the shame I felt when I saw myself. I was not who I felt like I was supposed to be. “You are a wolf Lynn. You are not a human. You are not half human. That is not possible. You want it to be true, but it is not meant to be” “But… my… my father… my mother is a human! I don’t know what you mean. I’m almost human. I’m not a wolf. I am almost who I want to be! My father was the bravest wolf of all! My mother was beautiful and she was a human. Human. They loved each other. We were a family…. I’m going to be a human… I’m so close…” the fairy godmother smiled at me. “You are so innocent Lynn. You are so hurt. You feel so alone. You are not the person you have made yourself believe you are. These are just imaginations Lynn. You were abandoned as a wild cub. You made these things up. You wanted to be loved. You didn’t want to be a weakling. You didn’t want to be different from the other wolves in the pack. Lynn my dear, you have tried to become someone you are not.”

That’s when I realized she was not there. The Fairy Godmother was not there. I was not Lynn. I was just a wolf. Only a wolf…

In that moment it all made sense. I remembered the other wolves laughing at me whenever I told them about my parents. All of these legends I had heard of my father… they were all made up. They were childish stories told to the village children to make them behave. Who am I? If I have lied to myself so much, how can I even know what is true? Everything I believe is false. Everything I know is a lie. Everything I am is a result of my desire to be someone I am not. Now it all came together. My parents story was not real. I had made it all up. I had made myself believe it. I forced myself to believe. I had hidden my pain and pretended it was not there.

Now it was all resurfacing. I should have cried, but I did not. I am not weak. I am not like my father. I am stronger than him.

From that day, I decided who I was going to be. I was no longer going to be the outcast. The weakling. The orphan. No, I was going to be something much greater. I was going to become who I always wanted. I was going to make sure others feared me. I became the heartless creature I am today. I devoted my life to terrorizing the people. The humans. I am not one of them. I am a wolf. I am the Big Bad Wolf. My first kill was the boy who cried Wolf. Ever since then I have craved murder and I rejoice in destruction.

I am no longer a liar. I am no longer confused about who I am. I am the Big Bad Wolf. I am not who I am meant to be, but at least I am not a liar. I have defeated my greatest enemy, who was a little half-wolf, half-human boy named Lynn.

He is gone now. He is dead and he is never coming back.

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:40 am
HikariHateke wrote a review...

Oh wow I'm not sure how to review this.

Not because it's bad don't worry its really good. I love stories like this where they take a classic and use a new perspective!

There were some parts that weren't as smooth as others (I'd point some out but it's almost midnight here so maybe later and only if you want)

I kinda agree with fantasy that it all being in his head took away from what could have been something more fleshed out and angst (but if consider myself an angst addict so maybe that's just me lol)

I don't really have much more to add atm cuz again in tired but I think overall it was good!

Sunflowerdemon3712 wrote a review...

This story was fantastic in so many ways. it shows how someone who meant well could be twisted by there own imagination. I love the twist I didn't see it coming but it was done perfectly. I would love to hear that story for another time you refranced I think it could be some background and I would most definetly read it. thank you for your time and have a great day! :)

Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:05 pm
MissGangamash wrote a review...

Hey, I'm here for a review!

I like this twist on the boy who cried wolf story, but I think the ending, about it all being a fantasy kinda ruins the story. There are parts in this that really remind me of The Brother's Grimm Fairy tales, like his mother ripping out her eyes and drowning in her tears, which is why I think the ending doesn't fit.

Technical things -

You jump tenses a lot, going from past to present.

You need to start a new paragraph when a new speaker has dialogue.

You mention that his father was heartless then tell us that his heart was broken. These two things don't fit together.

'I have heard that he once slaughtered an entire village of humans and ate them alive' - if he slaughtered them, they would be dead.

The more conversational parts of this, like extending words 'HE WILL DIE TOOOOOO' and 'WOLFFFFFF' makes the piece come across as very childish. Also the parts with 'yeah' and 'anyways.' This is a sad story about someone who's live isn't want they thought it was and is now an outcast. These off-hand remarks really mess with that tone.

If the Fairy Godmother wasn't real the whole time, what happened that made him see reality?

If you are sticking with the ending, I would remove the first paragraph, because there you are already revealing the twist. Also, who was his greatest enemy he is referring to? Himself?

Anyway, like I said, I liked they way you reworked a known story, but I think you should have stuck with the darker tale instead of going down the cliche 'it was all in his head' route.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the feedback:)

Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:13 pm
NastyMajesty says...

OH MY GOSHHHH! THAT WAS AMAZZING! Only thing I have to say is that you have to have a new line every time your speaker changes but otherwise omg that was amazing I loved it keep it up!

Thank you, it really means a lot to me that you reviewed my story. Hope you have a great day!!!
Ailah

Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:34 pm
Georgie says...

Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:34 pm
Georgie wrote a review...

Wow! This was really interesting. I loved it! Was NOT expecting that twist towards the end. Honestly, I'm sold on both versions of this wolf, be it half human or one who has imagined it all. Something to note, though, is that you should put a line break when someone new talks.
"Like this!"
"Really?"
That's my only note though. It was very creative, suspenseful, and original. Well done!

Thank you so much for your review! This is the first story I have ever shared so that means a lot to me.

And thank you for that! I was a bit confused if I should have line breaks or not, but I really appreciate you letting me know :)

Have a lovely day!!
Ailah

Very well; I hear; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness