z

Young Writers Society



The Lost Dragon 25.1

by soundofmind


Chapter 25: You're Not You When You're Hungry, Here, Have Some Soup

Before he could get any more concrete answers James was forced to eat, which he took as a personal offense, but also, he understood.

Once his adrenaline phased out and dread pitted in his stomach, he had started to feel the effects of what Robin affectionately called almost dead for two weeks. Apparently, all of that resulted in him fainting in the doorway, not that he could remember how, or when. But it was both embarrassing and humbling, and even though he didn't know what everyone's motives were for keeping him alive, he was grateful. To a degree.

If it meant there was any hope for him to save Clandestine - if she was even still alive - then it was worth it. He was the only one who knew she was captured, and... he didn't know of anyone else who would miss her.

He knew about her time-capsule experience, which he was admittedly, still unsure about, but he realized he knew nothing about her other close friends or family.

Did she have any?

All of her loved ones had died decades ago, but had she managed to make new connections during that time? Was he the only one? It wasn't like he was going to get answers to those questions any time soon.

All of this swirled around his head while he sat on his bed, with a bowl of soup.

Vegetables swirled around in the warm, bubbling broth as he spun them around slowly with his metal spoon. His appetite was nonexistent, but he could feel the aching of his body, begging for food. For something. He just wasn't sure if it would stay down.

It didn't help that he was being watched.

Bo and Mel hung back in the room while Raj and Robin left with Mickey. He wasn't told why, or when they would return. After he'd been given the soup he was told to focus on that before anything else.

But instead, he ended up focusing more on the room. It helped, in some ways. He was able to chew and not think about how the soup felt like a drop of water in a hollow well, or how nausea kept creeping up in little waves.

The the mattress he was sitting on was firm, but the very surface was soft. The sheets were thin and clean, and a faded orange-brown. He wondered if that was a practical choice. In a room for the sick and wounded, the color would be easy to wash without worrying about stains as much.

There were five beds total in the room, all lining one wall. He was on the second from the door, and the other four were empty. On the other side of the room, there were several open shelves and storage compartments where a lot of familiar herbs and medicines were kept at a height that was easy to access. But the thing that was more peculiar was that all of the shelves and tables up against the wall looked like they were carved out of it with precision and intentionality. In fact, every wall, every ceiling, and every floor he'd seen had been made of stone. He had only been in one room and the hall, but it was beginning to set in that they might really be underground.

No windows. And he didn't know where the exits were.

Tension crept into his neck, shoulders, and hands. It was always there, but in moments like this, it made him stiff. He tried taking in deep breaths. Again. Taking a sip of soup, swallowing, counting, breathing.

Surrounded by strangers. Surrounded by mages. Underground. No sun, no exits. With no idea how large the underground bunker was, or if it even qualified as that.

Another sip, another swallow, another breath.

And then there was Clandestine. Trapped, underground as well if his suspicions were correct but in indefinitely more agony. It wasn't fair that he was the one rescued. If Bo and Robin had caught up just a few minutes earlier - not that he knew exactly how long he'd been lying there, bleeding out - then Clandestine would've been here too.

And maybe Carter would be...

Well, he didn't want to think that far ahead just yet.

His spoon clinked against the ceramic bowl a little too loudly, and he flinched. He gritted his teeth, hoping no one saw that.

"How's the soup?" Bo asked.

James's headshot up and he looked across the room. Bo and Mel were sitting at a table where they had been talking quietly. They were only a few feet away, really, but he had been blocking them out without really realizing it. They hadn't been saying anything relevant, so he'd stopped listening.

"Fine," he said curtly.

Mel was in a chair facing away from him, and she turned around in it to face him.

"I want you to finish," she said, somehow both gentle and commanding at the same time. Like a doctor. "If you can."

James just looked at her. He wasn't going to argue with her, but still, he didn't want to. But it would be childish to fight it.

"It's not poisoned, you know," Bo said.

James paused, with the spoon to his mouth, and glared at him.

Mel reached across the table to slap Bo's arm, and Bo laughed.

"I'm kidding! I'm kidding!" Bo said, brushing Mel's hand away.

"Yeah, well he didn't think it was funny," Mel retorted.

Bo's smile faded, and his expression softened as he looked over to James. "Sorry. Not funny."

James didn't know how to respond to a conflict so quickly resolved about him, without him. He looked between Mel, sipped the soup, swallowed, and then replied.

"It's... fine."

Bo got up from his seat, and James watched him closely. His head had to tilt back just a little to follow the man's height. Bo sat on the edge of the table instead. It only brought him a few inches closer, if that.

James set his spoon down in the almost-empty bowl and looked up at him.

"I would like to leave now," he said simply.

Bo blinked. With his one eye. Despite his appearance, he managed to wear a very gentle expression.

"You want to find Clandestine," Bo said. "Don't you?"

James's jaw tensed, and he set his bowl on the bed. He turned to Bo, unable to meet his eyes, but still sending a pointed gaze in his direction. "Listen. You don't know her, and you don't know me. I appreciate the help, but I didn't ask for it. I don't know what you want from me, but yes, I am going to go find Clandestine. And you're going to let me go."

Bo and Mel briefly glanced at each other.

"We're not holding you hostage, if that's what you think," Bo said.

"We wanted to save you," Mel said.

"When Robin and I found you, you were still holding on. You could still be saved," Bo continued. "That's as deep as it goes, man."

James bit down a bitter remark, and looked down at the floor, but kept watching them out of the corner of his eyes.

They seemed genuine. Bo continued talking before James could think of a reply.

"We also want to help find Clandestine. I know we don't know her, but if she was one of us, we'll do everything we can to save her. Especially if she was taken by the kingdom. I know they're not kind to their prisoners." Bo paused, leaning forward just a little. "We've gone undercover before, and as mages, we have resources and abilities that the kingdom may not be prepared for. We should have some of the element of surprise. We can--"

James got to his feet, slowly. "Why do you keep saying 'we'?"

Bo's eyebrows furrowed, and Mel frowned.

"James, you can't seriously be thinking of going in alone -- are you?"

"Also," Mel chimed in. "You literally almost died. I healed you, but it took a lot of work, and you're still in recovery. I don't like the idea of you running off at all, but especially not by yourself."

James shot her a glare, and that was when Bo stood up, towering over him once again. James looked up.

"Look, I know you don't have many reasons to trust us right now," Bo said, keeping his voice soft. "And I know there's probably a lot more going on in your head right now than we know. But I promise you when we say we want to see Clandestine safe just as much as you do. We look out for other mages, and we rescue them from people like Carter. That's what we do. This might be one of the hardest rescue missions we'll go on. And honestly, whether or not you want to come with us, we're going to go after her again anyway. We've been preparing for the trip already. But you know more about her and the Commander--"

"That an assumption?" James cut in, challenging Bo with a stare.

"-- If you think we don't know your real name or your fake name - I really don't know which - but, point is, we did find out who you are. We know you're wanted--"

James felt the urge to run.

"--And we could honestly care less. Anyone who's an enemy of the kingdom, and doesn't have a problem with mages--"

He inched back a few steps, noting where the door was, wondering how far he could get through the halls before he'd get caught again.

"--is a friend of ours. I don't know how you want us to prove that to you, but like you said, or uh, implied - we could have left you for dead, but we didn't. Take that for what it is."

Somewhere in the middle of Bo speaking, James's stare became unfocused, and he was looking somewhere beyond him. Through his head, at the wall.

Allies.

For the first time in his life since he'd become a criminal, he had allies who knew who he was and actually wanted to help... break into the palace? Did they even know what they were signing up for? They knew he was wanted, but that hardly meant they knew everything. They couldn't possibly know why.

There were so many details that needed to be discussed, and yet, the burning question that rushed to the forefront of his mind robbed his attention from all of it.

"My horse." He stuttered. "Where is my horse?"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 3775
Reviews: 378

Donate
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:45 pm
View Likes
Omni wrote a review...



Heya Sound! Exciting to jump back into it! :D sorry not sorry for all the questions last review XD

Before he could get any more concrete answers James was forced to eat, which he took as a personal offense, but also, he understood.


I think it's interesting that James, a survivalist by nature, would be affronted by... having to eat to survive? The focus of this sentence here is like "GOD I HATE IT butiguessihaveto" lol which I think it would be more interesting if it focuses more on the fact that he had to eat to survive, even though he had more pressing matters.

Once his adrenaline phased out and dread pitted in his stomach, he had started to feel the effects of what Robin affectionately called almost dead for two weeks. Apparently, all of that resulted in him fainting in the doorway, not that he could remember how, or when. But it was both embarrassing and humbling, and even though he didn't know what everyone's motives were for keeping him alive, he was grateful. To a degree.


Hmm, that's a pretty nonchalant way to say you almost died, JAMES. He's over here like "I guess I should say thank you??? for saving my life? Ugh" James is Gen Z in a nutshell.

"When Robin and I found you, you were still holding on. You could still be saved," Bo continued. "That's as deep as it goes, man."


Ouch. I'm sure Bo had good intentions, but that line would hurt anyone, and I'm sure it hurt James. Like, OKAY I get it, you didn't actually care about me but you didn't have to, well, announce it or anything lol

"You literally almost died. I healed you, but it took a lot of work, and you're still in recovery.


I want to put this quote here for future reference.

Okay! Your writing is wonderful, I love it! Buuuuut (sorry that there's always a but here XD)

This chapter part isn't needed. Blunt, but let me explain why! I love James and stuff! James as himself tho just doesn't hold enough weight, especially now that we're... learning more of James by himself kinda. He didn't open up before this, so it's a bit weird for him to open up to us now, and I feel like that's a bit of plot convenience.

Besides this, I think... I think this chapter would have been better as James recovering, like, on the verge of death. That way, we could see more of vulnerable!James in a setting that is more out of his control, since he hasn't actually... well, hasn't actually opened up to anyone besides Clanny. Hasn't even opened up to himself all that much.

We see a lot of explaining in this and the last chapter about how the recovery took time and was a lot of effort.

"You literally almost died. I healed you, but it took a lot of work, and you're still in recovery.


Like it being said here. This is just telling us versus showing us what actually happened. I much more prefer this scene being a mixture of the soup but also James actually recovering.

I do enjoy the soup-eating scene part of this chapter! It was nice seeing James' concern for Clanny. The Bo speech part just didn't seem natural to me. James wasn't feeling it, and that might be the reason why i wasn't feeling it, but I just wasn't feeling it.

I do like the fact that it's setting up allies for James, and that's shocking enough for him!

Can't wait to see where this goes! I know this is a lot of setup, so I'm interested to see what this is setting up to.




soundofmind says...


i currently have no brain power to give detailed response but i DID read and tank u again for feedbaks... incheresting thought... jaems more vulnerable

noted noted yes

james is gen z vibes yes



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:27 pm
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



HELLO, IT IS I -- back again. Let's go.

Before he could get any more concrete answers James was forced to eat, which he took as a personal offense, but also, he understood.


This sentence feels rambly and hard to follow. Like I get what you're saying, it just feels like there are clearer ways to actually say that, you know?

Although, James!! I'm excited to meet him since he's clearly an important character.

If it meant there was any hope for him to save Clandestine - if she was even still alive - then it was worth it. He was the only one who knew she was captured, and... he didn't know of anyone else who would miss her.


Awww, my heart :') This is so w h o l e s o m e and gave me so many feels. I NEED for you to reunite them, okay? It's now the law.

He wasn't going to argue with her, but still, he didn't want to.


This is another sentence where I GET what you're saying, but it's kind of rambly and confusing to get there, you know?

Bo's eyebrows furrowed, and Mel frowned.

"James, you can't seriously be thinking of going in alone -- are you?"

"Also," Mel chimed in. "You literally almost died. I healed you, but it took a lot of work, and you're still in recovery. I don't like the idea of you running off at all, but especially not by yourself."


Okay, so this bit confused me for just a moment. I figured it out fairly quickly but it did trip me up so I thought I would mention it. With Mel being the last person to have an action (frowning) I just immediately assumed that they were the next person to speak. So then it kind of confused me when Mel "chimed in" with the next dialogue. I'm assuming the first person to speak was Bo, but I think that could be clearer. Maybe just do a flip-per-o of the first line? Have Mel frown before Bo's eyebrows furrow? idk, options. Just maybe something you might want to look at clarifying?

Okay, that's all I got for you! Another great chapter! James seems like a loveable dummy-head who is gonna be super frustrating but also really cute and make me love him even as I scream at him for being such a stoic idiotic hero dude.

Good stuff! Super excited to learn more about the three in this chapter :)

~Shady




soundofmind says...


James seems like a loveable dummy-head who is gonna be super frustrating but also really cute and make me love him even as I scream at him for being such a stoic idiotic hero dude.

I am LAUGHING SO MUCH AT THIS DESCRIPTION AND I LOVE IT... stoic idiotic hero dude... yes... that is HIM ... THANNK U

Also omg lol thank you for pointing out my confusing rambly sentences and that whole dialogue tag/who's talking mix-up. I found myself kind of struggling with all of the many characters in the room so I'm glad you pointed that out!!



Shady says...


I am LAUGHING SO MUCH AT THIS DESCRIPTION AND I LOVE IT... stoic idiotic hero dude... yes... that is HIM ... THANNK U


hahaha in this edition of reviews with Shady... xD



User avatar
135 Reviews


Points: 4325
Reviews: 135

Donate
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:29 am
View Likes
SilverNight wrote a review...



Here to review another of the wonderful soundofmind's chapters! :)

Before he could get any more concrete answers James was forced to eat, which he took as a personal offense, but also, he understood.

Once his adrenaline phased out and dread pitted in his stomach, he had started to feel the effects of what Robin affectionately called almost dead for two weeks. Apparently, all of that resulted in him fainting in the doorway, not that he could remember how, or when. But it was both embarrassing and humbling, and even though he didn't know what everyone's motives were for keeping him alive, he was grateful. To a degree.


Ah, yes, I fully support the idea of getting James fed. For these two weeks, has he actually been out cold and never waking up once? That might lead to starvation/dehydration issues, so either he should be downright famished right now, or they found a way to feed him while he was asleep, or he woke up every once in a while for a few minutes and they aggressively feed him some yummy yummy soup so he doesn't die before he goes back to snoozing!

I'd also suggest changing the last part of the first paragraph to "but he also understood", as it'll improve the flow. c:

All of this swirled around his head while he sat on his bed, with a bowl of soup.

Vegetables swirled around in the warm, bubbling broth as he spun them around slowly with his metal spoon. His appetite was nonexistent, but he could feel the aching of his body, begging for food. For something. He just wasn't sure if it would stay down.


The use of the verb "swirled" twice made somehow me think "Oh, so James' thoughts are vegetables" and I moved on for a bit before realizing that wasn't exactly a correct thought. Which is hilarious, although maybe that connection might not be what you're going for XD

Fortunately, if you feel like avoiding repetition, there are plenty of synonyms for "swirling" and it'd be easy to replace one of them. Would "whirling" or "spiraling" work better for his thoughts?

The the mattress he was sitting on was firm, but the very surface was soft. The sheets were thin and clean, and a faded orange-brown. He wondered if that was a practical choice. In a room for the sick and wounded, the color would be easy to wash without worrying about stains as much.

There were five beds total in the room, all lining one wall. He was on the second from the door, and the other four were empty. On the other side of the room, there were several open shelves and storage compartments where a lot of familiar herbs and medicines were kept at a height that was easy to access. But the thing that was more peculiar was that all of the shelves and tables up against the wall looked like they were carved out of it with precision and intentionality. In fact, every wall, every ceiling, and every floor he'd seen had been made of stone. He had only been in one room and the hall, but it was beginning to set in that they might really be underground.


I have to point out that there's a extra "the" in the first sentence, but this description is magnificent. I really like the idea of everything being carved right out of the rock! It's a great way to show that this place was created by someone with talent and dedication (and who knows, maybe that's important for later).

No windows. And he didn't know where the exits were.

Tension crept into his neck, shoulders, and hands. It was always there, but in moments like this, it made him stiff. He tried taking in deep breaths. Again. Taking a sip of soup, swallowing, counting, breathing.

Surrounded by strangers. Surrounded by mages. Underground. No sun, no exits. With no idea how large the underground bunker was, or if it even qualified as that.

Another sip, another swallow, another breath.


Uh oh, he's having a mini panic attack. The way you alternate the sentence structure and length to make some longer and some shorter really gets the point across!

James's headshot up and he looked across the room. Bo and Mel were sitting at a table where they had been talking quietly. They were only a few feet away, really, but he had been blocking them out without really realizing it. They hadn't been saying anything relevant, so he'd stopped listening.


For the first sentence, there's just a missing space that should be between "head" and "shot", and I think it might need a comma after "up".

"It's not poisoned, you know," Bo said.

James paused, with the spoon to his mouth, and glared at him.

Mel reached across the table to slap Bo's arm, and Bo laughed.

"I'm kidding! I'm kidding!" Bo said, brushing Mel's hand away.

"Yeah, well he didn't think it was funny," Mel retorted.

Bo's smile faded, and his expression softened as he looked over to James. "Sorry. Not funny."


James doesn't like these jokes. ;-;

"We also want to help find Clandestine. I know we don't know her, but if she was one of us, we'll do everything we can to save her. Especially if she was taken by the kingdom. I know they're not kind to their prisoners." Bo paused, leaning forward just a little. "We've gone undercover before, and as mages, we have resources and abilities that the kingdom may not be prepared for. We should have some of the element of surprise. We can--"


I'm very glad James seems like he's getting backup. c:

Another tiny thing, on "we'll do everything". I think it should be "we'd do everything", since the use of "if" earlier shows it's conditional/hypothetical!

"Also," Mel chimed in. "You literally almost died. I healed you, but it took a lot of work, and you're still in recovery. I don't like the idea of you running off at all, but especially not by yourself."


Oh, so she's a healer! That makes the time you compared her manner to a doctor's rather accurate indeed.

Somewhere in the middle of Bo speaking, James's stare became unfocused, and he was looking somewhere beyond him. Through his head, at the wall.

Allies.

For the first time in his life since he'd become a criminal, he had allies who knew who he was and actually wanted to help... break into the palace? Did they even know what they were signing up for? They knew he was wanted, but that hardly meant they knew everything. They couldn't possibly know why.


awwwwwwwwww yeaaaaaah, James has a Gang™

"My horse." He stuttered. "Where is my horse?"


Oh, yes, we need Elliot! Billy and Elliot are definitely the best horses ever. 10/10. c:

Thank you again for your work! I'm enjoying getting to read and review it so much. <3




soundofmind says...


Did I totally forget that James might be hungy... maybe? BUT I also know sometimes if you don't eat for a long time like, your body kinda just .... adjusts and you're not hungry anymore until like, people give u food... IDK

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT

Bless u for catching my littol errors and I'm glad u r happy for james 2 have a gang :,) I am TOO LOL



SilverNight says...


:,)

<3




Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.
— Corey Ford