z

Young Writers Society


18+ Mature Content

Back In Town

by Rascalover


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

Life doesn't wait for you to move on. The Earth keeps spinning; businesses keep succeeding, and the days keep adding up. A year later, his name still triggers her into panic, and when her brother called her letting her know he was back in town, she sat straight up in bed and immediately messaged a confidant to see if he was actually back in town. She jumped up, brewed a cup of coffee, and paced around her small apartment. Flashbacks of his anger and violent ways caused her to tremble and smoke a pack of cigarettes before she heard back from Chelsea.

“I stalked his social media. Looks like he is back in the city. Need anything don't hesitate to call, and keep your eyes peeled for the next few weeks. Who knows how long he'll be back in town. If you actually see him, call the police and tell them your life is in danger. To my knowledge he has a warrant out for his arrest. Stay safe, love ya babe.”

Chugging the rest of her coffee, Tiffany placed her taser in her purse and debated on not leaving the house until she got word he was in the wind again. She knew full well Justin had a warrant out for his arrest. He had left Ohio for Colorado while he was on probation. His history of domestic violence was enough to land him in jail and house arrest multiple times, and he never learned his lesson. The scars on Tiffany's thighs, her missing teeth, and the war-like flashbacks she held in the recesses of her mind was proof of that.  


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 1962
Reviews: 58

Donate
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:20 pm
View Likes
Lezuli wrote a review...



Greetings! Just want to write a little review for you. WaterSpout below me covered most of it, so I'm just going to add onto that.
#1: This isn't actually something wrong with the story, but if you wanted to add some extra emphasis I would start a new paragraph at 'A year later'. It would make that sentence stand out a bit more.
#2: "A year later, his name still triggers her into panic". Here 'triggers' is in present tense while the rest of the story is in past tense. Easily fixable, simply change it to 'triggered'.
#3: "Need anything don't hesitate to call". This sentence seemed uncomfortable to me. I think adding 'If you' to the front of it would make it flow better. But if you like it the way it is feel free to ignore me.
And that's all I have for you. This was a nice short story. I really liked the way you ended it on a cliffhanger like that. I hoped this review helped you in some way!




Rascalover says...


Thank you so much! It definitely did!!



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 10511
Reviews: 83

Donate
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:47 pm
WaterSpout wrote a review...



Hello, Rascalover, how are you doing?
This is probably the biggest cliffhangers I've read in a short story. Not that it's bad, I'm just stating it. The story was fine. Actually, great. So, without further ado, I'll get started.

A year later, his name still triggers her into panic, and when her brother called her letting her know he was back in town, she sat straight up in bed and immediately messaged a confidant to see if he was actually back in town.

Okay, at first, I thought you wanted to say confident, and that you placed it in the wrong sentence, I Googled it and Confidant is basically someone you share secrets with. So, there's nothing wrong here, thought I'd shared that.

Who knows how long he'll be back in town.

I don't know how important this really is, but I would suggest replacing the period with a question mark.

To my knowledge he has a warrant out for his arrest.

This needs a comma in between knowledge and he.

Chugging the rest of her coffee, Tiffany placed her taser in her purse and debated on not leaving the house until she got word he was in the wind again. She knew full well Justin had a warrant out for his arrest. He had left Ohio for Colorado while he was on probation. His history of domestic violence was enough to land him in jail and house arrest multiple times, and he never learned his lesson. The scars on Tiffany's thighs, her missing teeth, and the war-like flashbacks she held in the recesses of her mind was proof of that.

I would like to comment here. So, the main protagonist, Tiffany, has been beaten so hard that the police got involved, and Justin is a wanted criminal? And Tiffany feels the need to carry a taser? I mean, I'm not even sure how many people do that.
Anyways, I think that is all I can say. There's not much to comment on, only the littlest grammar mistakes and the plot itself. Overall, this leaves a lot of suspense for Tiffany, whether she'll be okay or not. I hope you keep on using YWS!
With caution,

WaterSpout




Rascalover says...


Thank you so much!! %uD83D%uDC95



WaterSpout says...


No problem!




'Like' and 'equal' are two entirely different things.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time