nullify you

by soundofmind

A/N: Please listen to the song as you read if you're able. Click here to listen. All the music and singing is done by me!

Don't you know all the words you say
Will quickly give yourself away
What you think
Is a lie
Is a mask
You can't hide
Don't you think that you're gonna be found out soon
'Fore the sunset and sunrise, before the moon
Takes a breath
In the sky
Nullify you

There's a million things you do
That reveal how you'd really move
When it is
Only you
All alone
What's to prove?
Takes a breath
In the sky
Nullify you

Nullify, nullify, nullify, nullify you (x4)

Forget, forget
I see it in your eyes
It's yourself you despise
Forget, forget
You think only you're dark
Can't you see we all are marked
Forget, forget
We're starting over

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:20 am
Riverlight wrote a review...

Hey sound! I'm gonna try to do give you a review. I may or may not be trying to remember *how* to do a review, so, sorry if this sucks XD

Likes
Listening to this and reading the lyrics alongside it gives me some sort of melancholy pleasure, if I may be so bold as to steal the pair of words from the lips of Lucy Hale.

Dislikes
While repetition is a good way to get things across to a reader, I feel like someone reading these lyrics rather than listening to them might drift off, in a sort of way. I personally preferred listening to how you're singing "nullify" rather than reading it over and over and over. (Kinda like how I probably just used "and over" one time too many.

soundofmind says...

Thanks for the feedback, vil!

Riverlight says...

You're welcome!

Riverlight says...

You're welcome!

Valkyria wrote a review...

Hello Sound,

I'm not a singer, so I'm no expert on anything musically, but you have a beautiful voice. And it feels haunting and sad when you sing.

What you think
Is a lie
Is a mask
You can't hide

I love the rhythm in that section.

I had to look up the definition of nullifying, but I interpreted your lyrics as breaking free from a negative relationship, and you're pointing out all their flaws in front of them.

I see it in your eyes
It's yourself you despise

It's like a slap to the face.

Athena

soundofmind says...

Thanks athena!!

Noellee77 wrote a review...

Hey fellow song writer,
Some suggestions from experience, when you hold out a note doing things such as a dot for every beat you hold out. You already space well so good job on that. You have good flow, although you lose your flow at "nullify, nullify, nullify, nullify (x4) ". With how you fade there you would be best fading the lyrics. Like so:
nullify, nullify, nullify, nullify.
nullify, nullify, nullify..
nullify, nullify...
nullify....

soundofmind says...

Ah, by flow do you mean that I get off-tempo? I don't really play with a metronome/click so I'm sure there are times where I get a little off timing-wise, and time signatures has never been a strength of mine. That said, I'm not entirely sure what you mean about changing the way the "nullify" repeats fade out. Do you mean to just leave more space between the repeats until I just... stop saying it?

I'm glad you gave the song a listen though!

Noellee77 says...

When I stare you lose flow I mean you lose tempo and tone. You get stuck on the nullify part so staggering it can sometimes give you a better flow, and doing a count done fade seems to help people control the tempo of the fade.

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:36 pm
Tanishka says...

This is amazing! You are a really good singer. I wish I could record like this.

soundofmind says...

Thank you so much Tanishka!

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:21 am
silver877 says...

This is amazing.

soundofmind says...

Thanks silver!!

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:24 am
legolas1122 says...

wow this is amaZing how did you do that !:)

soundofmind says...

thanks legolas! Haha, I don't know how to explain how I did it, but I did write and play and sing the song! It's taken lots of time and work to get where I'm at and I still have a long way to go!

legolas1122 says...

oh good luck to you !

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:33 pm
Morrigan wrote a review...

Hi bby it's good to see you.

I find it hard to critique anything that you put out. Maybe it's your enchanting voice or your simple but sophisticated lyrics, but you've got some STUFF.

So, in lieu of me recommending change, I'll tell you what I liked about it and why I did. That's valuable feedback, too!

I think we might have spoken about Elliot Smith before, but this song really gives me a "Between the Bars" vibe. Lyrically, it's not so similar, but the idea is similar. Forgetting, starting over, things that someone is doing that are out of character. I think this is a very powerful theme. The difference between your song and his is that your lyrics seem to carry bitterness for the subject of the piece. It's an interesting idea. So your song further explores the idea of selfishness and lack of empathy, as well, from the subject, but also maybe a little from the singer. But I get it. I'm always salty about people only caring about themselves, too.

While many people use the symbols of the sun and moon in their art pieces (I won't limit this to literature), they are literally the most physical embodiment of gods that humanity knows. Two orbs floating in the sky, each ruling a domain? I love that you've used the sun and the moon in a deity-like way here. It's like you're saying, "stop doing that before the truth comes out and god finds you." I don't know if this is what you're doing, but that's what I got out of it.

As for the musical structure, I think it's effective. You know how to play to your vocal strengths. What my favorite and most unexpected part of this was that you end the lyrical section on an unresolved chord. It mirrors the lyrics- starting over- something unfinished. Eventually the outro gives us a more satisfying sound to end the song on, but I love that you chose to do that at the end of the lyrical section. I might... uh steal that.

You can already tell that I loved this song by the lack of criticism and abundance of literary analysis. Please continue to tag me in all of your lyrics so I can bask in their glory. I hope that this proves useful to you! See you 'round!

soundofmind says...

Ahhh, thank you so much Morri! I love the song suggestion - I love the sound!

And oh, yes, the lyrics are definitely bitter both ways! I think the subject matter of the song is pretty heavily inspired from a story of mine, and what you've described is really accurate!

And haha, yeah, sun and moon symbolism is everywhere, but I'm glad you were able to appreciate it here!!!

Thank you so much for your feedback! It's so fun to read your analysis of the lyrics and it really is helpful to hear how other people interpret it! :) <3

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon