z

Young Writers Society



A Fool's Bucket - Ch. 15.2

by ExOmelas


Buck saw Myal for the first time in a week as he left Pires’s office. He desperately wanted to go and talk to her, but as soon as she noticed him she ducked into the nearest room along the corridor. And that was the scullery, so it was unlikely she had urgent business to attend to. He supposed it hadn’t been very long, so she probably hadn’t got his note yet. Or worse, she had.

He decided to retire to his treehouse. For one thing he had to make some notes on how to go about not offending the ambassador. So he quickly stopped by Victane’s to retrieve his bucket, and in it his papers, then dashed back across the town square to his treehouse.

He’d taken Simone with him to Victane’s – something about her slightly furry company had helped to quell his ever-rising nerves – so now he had to very carefully hold her out towards the tree, shielding her from view with his baggy sleeves. Then he checked nobody was in his immediate vicinity and let her scurry up. A moment later the sharp scent of curry drifted town to Buck’s nose. He scurried up the rope, then plonked down next to Simone as she snacked on her reward.

“How about just you and me for a day, eh?” Buck said, giving her a quick scratch on the head. “I’ve got a bit of work to do but how about after that some relaxing?”

Simone looked up at him for a moment, then stretched out a couple of her legs and continued eating her curry bites. Buck smiled and sat with his back against the treehouse wall, legs straight out in front of him. As he grabbed his papers and quill, the sun peeked out from behind a cloud and streamed right in across his legs. He sighed contentedly, poised his pen over his paper, and promptly fell asleep.

The next thing Buck heard was a knocking sound. On his door? He twisted around to see out the window but it wasn’t as if someone could have been floating in the air. Down below was Erson, and, taking a step back from the tree to stand beside him, was Myal.

Buck tilted his head to the side. “Did you just… knock on my tree?”

“I… uh, yes,” Myal said. She frowned up at Buck. “Do you even have a door?”

“Sort of,” Buck said. He hadn’t bothered to pull the rope back up so he gave it a quick shake. “You’re both welcome up if you like.”

“I think not.” Erson scoffed, though Myal had been looking down quizzically at her loose mid-length skirt.

She shook her head and looked back up. “Uh, yeah, no. Could you just come down here? We want to talk to you.”

Well those were absolutely words he wanted to hear, even if they were in a slightly exasperated tone. He swung out the window, planting his feet against the trunk, then walked down to the ground. He considered tying up the bottom of the rope and throwing it back up through the window, but he wasn’t sure if they would have left by the time he had to go back up. A magic rope falling to the ground might have raised some questions that quickly led to Simone.

“So,” he said, straightening his tunic. “What did you want to talk about?”

“You, mostly,” Erson said. “A little bit of the ambassador’s visit, but mostly you.”

Buck was quite glad to have the tree trunk at his back. Other than that he felt quite exposed by the opening of this conversation.

“Look,” Myal said, wide eyes concentrating hard on him. “You know you hurt us both, and we know you’re sorry for that. But you have to understand that everything going back to normal for you… it’s like you won. It’s like you set out on your quest to use us to get what you wanted, and now you have it. You might regret how you did it, but ultimately our pain still brought you back where you want to be.”

She ran out of breath as she reached the end of what she was saying. Buck wondered how long she’d practiced that for, if she and Erson had run through what they were going to say together just as he and Pires would have done. Somehow he doubted the planning was quite so intense.

“So we have an offer for you,” Erson said. Even if it wasn’t as particular a strategy as he might have concocted, that was still a pretty smooth way to cover for Myal as she regained her composure.

“Oh, uh, what’s that?” Buck asked, forcing himself to stay in the moment.

“We want you to leave,” Erson said, holding his gaze with a furrowed brow.

“Leave?” Buck exclaimed, “But I just got back!”

“No, no,” Myal said, waving her hands in front of her. “Not leave Resador. I certainly don’t want that. We want you to leave Pires’s service. Prove that you’re no longer a conniving puppet-master and everything will be forgotten.”

Buck took a slight step back so that he could properly lean against the tree. It wasn’t a start in shock though. He’d imagined this might be the sort of thing they asked for when he said that if there was anything he could do to make it up for them. He’d been putting off imagining what he’d say, so he just had to wing it and see what came out of his mouth.

“No,” he said. He blinked, more surprised by himself than by the two of them. “I just… I can’t. Pires took me in. She gave me a purpose, a thing that I was good at. She’s the only reason I am the person I am today.”

“Well, exactly,” Erson said, folding his arms. “We think she’s a bad influence on you.”

Buck exhaled like he’d been punched in the gut. ‘The person I am today’ was meant to have been a positive statement.

“What would I be without Pires? Without my clothes and my paint and my bucket?” Buck groaned.

“You’d be Buttane!” Myal screamed. “Our friend, Buttane! Is it so tortuous to imagine yourself back in that life? You were going to help me find performers for my court barely more than a week ago!”

Buck sighed and faced roughly north, thinking about his time in the Royal Valley. The current conversation made him think of Hilene in particular. He wondered if he was having fun up there, moving cattle back and forth day after day like the needle on a metronome. As nice as it had been to meet Loilyn and Holyon and Ikilyn, he knew immediately that that was still how he saw that place.

“I’m sorry,” Buck said, his eyes getting hotter and starting to sting as tears appeared. “But it’s just not me. I’m Bucket. I never really saw myself as Buttane, even when I was up there. Maybe… maybe for a moment I thought I could be, but that’s as far as I ever got.”

Myal was staring straight at the ground.

“Then you were never my friend,” she mumbled. When she looked at him her eyes were screwed up but just about holding back the tears. “I want you to leave.”

“I just can’t,” Buck said.

“No! Leave the city! That’s what I want. I clearly don’t know who you really are but you look too much like my friend and I want you to leave forever! I know you’re not going to but that’s just what I want.” With that she turned and sprinted away, presumably letting the tears fall now that he couldn’t see them.

A few people had started to turn around to watch. Going by the pointing and muttering between several of them, the three of them had been instantly recognised.

“This is awfully exposed,” Buck murmured.

“Yes, well. How do you think I felt?” Erson snapped.

“When I humiliated you at that feast in the palace the first time you were down here?” Buck asked.

“I was actually thinking of when you exposed my relationship for a lie,” Erson said. He set his jaw. “But don’t you think that sort of proves my point?”

“I’m so sorry,” Buck said. “I should never have hurt either of you.”

“You’re hurting us right now!” Erson snarled.

“I know,” Buck croaked.

“Then do as we ask!”

“No!”

Erson stared at him for a few long moments, the crowd watching on with breath as bated as Buck’s. “I have my answer then.” As Erson turned to go he let out a small fart. He chuckled as he looked back at Buck. “That one was an accident actually. My farts are more genuine than your words.”

And then he walked off, leaving Buck in a cloud of stink and shame.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:34 am
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



I'M BAAAAAACK

and man, what a way to hop back into this

I looove how this conversation turned out. It read so smoothly and it didn't feel farfetched at all. The reasoning behind everything made perfect sense to me, and the emotions were well within reason. There wasn't a part I disliked about this chapter, and I sadly can't tell if that's because I'm glad to be reading this again, so imma just jabber through my thoughts and find out.

Myal is a star here. I've been waiting for this moment with such worry, and I think you paced it out really well, as in you didn't jump into it too soon, and you didn't have this scene too late either. It feels like it was a good pace reaching this scene.

And now I'm here and like... GUH I love this. 1) I love how rehearsed Myal's initial speech is and the fact that Buck recognizes that she must've rehearsed it. 2) I love how emotional Myal is and how heartbroken she is. 3) I love how what she asks of Buck changes from leaving Pires to leaving for good. It just... escalates so WELL for me!

I can't stop squeeing every time I try to elaborate on anything.

Myal starts out with a request for Buck to leave Pires as a symbol of his continued friendship and loyalty to Erson and Myal. This feels like a perfectly reasonable request for her because he would theoretically have a safe haven with them already and that Buck really doesn't support Pires' manipulating for self-gain. And Buck finds it perfectly UNreasonable because, well, it's Pires. His closest friend, really! Even I was like, but... Buck can't do that!! Anything but that, Myal!!

And then things escalate when Buck explains how he's loyal to Pires, and it just works with Myal's emotions spiraling at the same time. She's saying things like he needs to just leave entirely then because her heart was broken! I mean, she had trusted him, had seen her own future with Buck as a loyal friend to build up her own court and just... these dreams just crash, her hard work she had put into things already seems completely null and void now. She wants to hold her own while also supporting her brother, and she undoubtedly feels completely betrayed. It may even be a first for her, thus her emotions going nutty right now. It's soooo relatable for me. I feel for her so much, and all at the same time, I feel for Buck and how he feels being requested such a thing of him.

It's just so emotional and I got soooo caught up in reading it and I am just so pleased by how it all developed here. I'm so glad, personally, that Buck chose to stay with Pires, but I also worry like... I don't know. Anything can happen and I just want everyone to be friends and love each other and work with each other and Buck just wants his dad back and I just.

Also, Erson!! At first, I was surprised he was even there, but I immediately wasn't because it's Erson, her brother, and the two of them are really close. Of course he would come to support her. And I love that he had apparently spoken and rehearsed this with her, and seeing him support her standing up for herself is just... MY HEART. I am just in LOVE with this, and maybe that's because I have a thing for sibling love, but I just LOVELOVELOVE this so much. He supports her, but he doesn't do the talking for her. He lets her have her say, prods her where she needs the help, and then stands up for her when her emotions inevitably betray her and she has to wrap things up sooner than she intended. Like GUH I love this SO FREKAING MUCH.

Now that I've breathed a bit, I'm really worried about how their relationships will play out -- but in a good way. Like conversations like this are so intense/dramatic, but I really just love how this played out and I really hope things work out and I don't know what's going to happen but anything an happen and I just.

I'm so glad I'm back reading this. I can't wait to read the next chapter!!




ExOmelas says...


Ahhhhhh i'm so glad this was your reaction!! All of this is exactly what I'm going for ^.^ I should warn you that I lose my momentum for a couple of chapters because it was the last few weeks of LMS and I was writing in like an hour on Sunday night and hadn't had time to plan. Basically the plan was to have this event lead to Erson doing a thing that caused Buck to leave after all but in even worse circumstances BUT because of events I set in motion when I spur of the moment decided to have the other nation finally get in contact I couldn't really do that so I maybe use up a thing that should have got more tension than it does in the next chapter... You'll see what I mean... I filled a lot of my time with fluff that I enjoyed writing though so that I didn't go too far ahead of myself, so hopefully that can be enjoyable to indulge in :P

Thanks for the review! :D



User avatar
1487 Reviews


Points: 154417
Reviews: 1487

Donate
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:26 am
View Likes
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Wait, Myal's back? YES! I kind of expected her absence to last for longer so I'm surprised we're seeing her character already.

And that was the scullery, so it was unlikely she had urgent business to attend to. He supposed it hadn’t been very long, so she probably hadn’t got his note yet. Or worse, she had.

Oh no, poor Buck! I hope she gets over this enough to at least hear him out <3

Buck tilted his head to the side. “Did you just… knock on my tree?”

Not sure how he would have heard this unless the tree was hollow?

She shook her head and looked back up. “Uh, yeah, no. Could you just come down here? We want to talk to you.”

I'm concerned that she's come with Erson, who clearly isn't Buck's biggest fan right now. I was hoping he would get a chance to talk to Myal on his own!

“No! Leave the city! That’s what I want. I clearly don’t know who you really are but you look too much like my friend and I want you to leave forever! I know you’re not going to but that’s just what I want.” With that she turned and sprinted away, presumably letting the tears fall now that he couldn’t see them.

Nooooooooo!


“I was actually thinking of when you exposed my relationship for a lie,” Erson said.

Wait, but wasn't that a good thing? Erson was about to be left behind anyway whilst the other half of this so called relationship sailed off into the sunset.

“Then do as we ask!”

“No!”

I don't think Buck would be quite so forceful in his response here, probably just drained!

Ooft, poor Buck. Not that he doesn't deserve some of this but this is such a public setting. He's kind of been ignoring how he feels about his whole relationship with Erson and Myal up until this point so I hope we actually see him react somewhat emotionally to this in the next sectionl, or at least not just brush it off.

I'm glad he's staying with Pires though. He's right, he wouldn't really be anywhere without her and she's very good to him. He's been her friend way longer than he's been friends with Erson and Myal.

I'm torn between wanting to hug Buck and wanting to hit him... so not too much has changed ;)

Can't wait for the next post!

Icy




ExOmelas says...


I'm torn between wanting to hug Buck and wanting to hit him

Perfect *grins*



User avatar
4102 Reviews


Points: 254163
Reviews: 4102

Donate
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:36 am
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Well I'm back for my weekly dose of humor mixed with serious emotion.

First Impression: Well that's a fair point that Myal brings up although I badly want to see them resume their friendship. *cries in corner* And wow there has been a lot of farting lately.

Anyway let us get to it,

He’d taken Simone with him to Victane’s – something about her slightly furry company had helped to quell his ever-rising nerves – so now he had to very carefully hold her out towards the tree, shielding her from view with his baggy sleeves. Then he checked nobody was in his immediate vicinity and let her scurry up. A moment later the sharp scent of curry drifted town to Buck’s nose. He scurried up the rope, then plonked down next to Simone as she snacked on her reward.


Yaay!! A Simone moment. I hope Buck eventually gets to keep her out in the open.

As he grabbed his papers and quill, the sun peeked out from behind a cloud and streamed right in across his legs. He sighed contentedly, poised his pen over his paper, and promptly fell asleep.


Love that undercurrent of humor as always. Most of the stories I review on here have all kinds of murder and darkness so reviewing this is always a breath of fresh air.

Buck tilted his head to the side. “Did you just… knock on my tree?”


Wait they knocked on a tree hard enough for someone at the top to feel it? How are they not grabbing their hands in agony right now?

“You, mostly,” Erson said. “A little bit of the ambassador’s visit, but mostly you.”


Well Erson certainly forgot about the ambassador's visit.

“Look,” Myal said, wide eyes concentrating hard on him. “You know you hurt us both, and we know you’re sorry for that. But you have to understand that everything going back to normal for you… it’s like you won. It’s like you set out on your quest to use us to get what you wanted, and now you have it. You might regret how you did it, but ultimately our pain still brought you back where you want to be.”


One thing there though is that well...Myal didn't exactly suffer did she? I mean yeah she's concerned for her brother and all but a) Buck didn't make Raddig do what he did and b) All Myal gets out of this is performers for her court.

Buck took a slight step back so that he could properly lean against the tree. It wasn’t a start in shock though. He’d imagined this might be the sort of thing they asked for when he said that if there was anything he could do to make it up for them. He’d been putting off imagining what he’d say, so he just had to wing it and see what came out of his mouth.


That, Buck, is why you never say that you will do anything.

Buck exhaled like he’d been punched in the gut. ‘The person I am today’ was meant to have been a positive statement.


That was a pretty hurtful sentence.

Buck sighed and faced roughly north, thinking about his time in the Royal Valley. The current conversation made him think of Hilene in particular. He wondered if he was having fun up there, moving cattle back and forth day after day like the needle on a metronome. As nice as it had been to meet Loilyn and Holyon and Ikilyn, he knew immediately that that was still how he saw that place.


Well that's an interesting development to see he never really got influenced by what went on there.

“Then you were never my friend,” she mumbled. When she looked at him her eyes were screwed up but just about holding back the tears. “I want you to leave.”


*wants to cry*

“I was actually thinking of when you exposed my relationship for a lie,” Erson said. He set his jaw. “But don’t you think that sort of proves my point?”


Wait wasn't that ultimately helping Erson too?

Erson stared at him for a few long moments, the crowd watching on with breath as bated as Buck’s. “I have my answer then.” As Erson turned to go he let out a small fart. He chuckled as he looked back at Buck. “That one was an accident actually. My farts are more genuine than your words.”


*frantically dons gas mask* Next time I need a warning.

And then he walked off, leaving Buck in a cloud of stink and shame.

What an ending there. Poor Buck.

And that's it for that.

Overall: Great chapter as always. Nothing grammar-wise that I spotted. Couple of really nitpicky things only. The plot is going forward I guess although I suppose things are a little slow until the ambassador arrives. And the conflict between Buck and these two deepens. Let's see where this eventually takes us.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry





The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket