The Quest for Fire - Frozen Past - Chapter Nineteen

by felistia

The sky was almost pitch black overhead, the stars providing little in the way of light as the three dragons waited for the light of the moon. An icy breeze had begun to blow, causing the bare branches overhead to creak and moan. Apart from that, the night was deathly silent. No bird calls, no tiny creatures scurrying through the snow.

It wasn’t long before the full moon began to rise, casting pale beams of light over the dark landscape.

“We can head back now,” Shriken’s voice pierced through the night air, “There shouldn’t be any more patrols until morning.”

Zoltar sighed with relief as he got to his feet. His legs were aching and snow-fall from the overhanging tree branches had begun to build up on his wings. He shook them out, the wet snow splattering against the blackened tree trunks.

Felistia was standing up a few wing lengths away. The thin rays of moonlight cutting through the trees caught her scales, causing them to shimmer in an otherworldly manner.

“Felistia,” Shriken walked up to his sister, shooting Zoltar an accusing look on the way, “before we go I think we should talk. You too Zoltar.”

Surprise flashed across Felistia’s eyes, “Okay.” She settled down opposite Shriken, her tail curled neatly over her talons.

Slightly shaken by Shriken’s tone of voice, Zoltar scraped away the top layer of snow to reveal the pebble strewn ground. It would be warmer this way. He sat down next to Felistia with his wings tucked in tight to avoid the occasional lump of snow shaken from the trees.

Shriken took a deep breath, “I didn’t want to bring this up before because I know you trust him,” Shriken waved a wing at Zoltar, “but I’m afraid I have no choice now. Those Ice Talons shouldn’t have still been looking for us. Shiler has better uses for her soldiers than to look for prisoners who have obviously fled past the border. They must be looking for something else.”

Felistia didn’t say anything, but Zoltar could see her head working away. They’d have to tell Shriken about the jewels. He’d brushed it off last time, but he wouldn’t let it go so easily this time.

Shriken paused for a moment, before looking Felistia straight in the eyes, “He must have stolen something. That’s the only reason she’d still be looking for us. Zoltar’s no threat to her and now that you’re gone, you are of little significance to her as well. She’d only pursue us like this if he took something.” Shriken growled the last part, turning his gaze on Zoltar.

“That’s why you broke away from us wasn’t it. I knew that flimsy excuse of yours was a cover up. You could endanger us all.” Shriken hissed, his spiked tail lashing from side to side.

Zoltar felt himself shrink. The Ice Talon looked so mad. What was he supposed to do? He and Felistia had agreed not to tell Shriken about the jewels. He looked at Felistia beseechingly.

Felistia caught his gaze and nodded, flapping her wings to break her brothers rant, “Shriken, wait. It’s not all his fault. I gave him permission to take the Ice Diamond.”

Shriken stopped, staring at Felistia in disbelief, “You let him take what?” He spat, his back spines bristling.

Felistia gave him a hurt look, “The Ice Diamond. I let him take it. Besides, why do you even care? It’s Shiler that loves the stupid thing. It’s a rock with no special properties. It’s useless to the Ice Talons.”

“But you just gave it to a Shadow Talon. He’s from a different tribe.”

“Why does that matter? He is my friend. He has helped me many times and quite frankly can have the stone. And besides that, you said you wanted me to be the next queen, right? So shouldn’t I be able to make decisions like this without you questioning them. Either I’m the future ruler or not.”

Shriken huffed, hunching his wings, “It’s just…why are you giving it to him. Why does he need it?”

Felistia flashed her teeth in a slightly amused way, “It’s a long, convoluted story, but the short and important part is that it could save his tribe and if we can help with that, isn’t that the right thing to do? You of all dragons should understand that.”

Shriken was silent for a few moments, scraping at the snow as he stared down at it.

Felistia watched him, waiting.

Slowly his raised spines relaxed and his tail stop sweeping across the ground. He sighed, a cloud of frost breath flowing from his nostrils.

“I guess you’re right.”

Felistia’s stance eased, her wings lowering. She padded over to him and nuzzled under his snout, “Thank you for understanding. I should have told you earlier.”

Shriken batted her shoulder with his wing, “No problem. You had your reasons,” He looked up, considering Zoltar, “Sorry I got a little carried away there. I didn’t realize Felistia had given you permission to taking the diamond.”

“It’s okay,” Zoltar shrugged his wings, “I understand where you were coming from.”

He breathed a deep sigh. He wasn’t sure this was the best time to bring it up, but if not now, when?

“So now that we’re all kind of okay with each other, could you please tell me which one of these is the Ice Diamond?”

He reached under his extra layer of back scales and pulled out the two diamonds. In the clear light of the moon, they were strikingly different. One swirled with glittering silvers and pale blues while the other was a deep cobalt with flashing gold bolts of lightning across its surface.

Felistia turned to Shriken, a slightly guilty in her eyes, “Also I kind of forgot to mention that he took the Lightning Diamond too.”

Shriken put a paw to his snout, “Well that explains a lot.”

“Lightning Diamond,” Zoltar echoed. He could guess which one that was with its crackling surface and rolling blue center. He’d read very little about this jewel. Only that it was the source of the Wind Talons power, but why would the Ice Talon queen have it?

“Yes I know. Not much we can do about it now. Besides, it was never Shiler’s to begin with. That’s what started this whole war. Maybe if I ever manage to become queen, I can use it to make peace with the Wind Talons again. They were great allies.” Felistia sighed, getting to her feet, “Anyway we need to get back. The others should have returned by now, I hope.”

She flashed Zoltar a concerned look before turning to leave. Zoltar shared her unease. They should have heard wing beats or paws on snow, but it had been completely silent the whole time they’d been hiding in the forest. Still he could have missed it. Hopefully all this worrying was all for nothing.

...

Swarms of butterflies seemed to be swirling through Zoltar’s stomach as he trod through the paw high snow. It didn’t seem to have gotten deeper since this morning so Emerald and Shiraku’s prints should still be visible. They should be easy to follow. Still, he hoped he wouldn’t have to track them.

He picked up the pace as he rounded a corner. He could see the tree, but to his dismay they weren’t there.

He walked around the trunk. Nothing seemed to have changed. No new foot prints, no new scents. They hadn’t come back.

Snow crunched behind him and he turned to see Felistia padding towards him. From the look on her face, he could see she was thinking the same thing he was. Where are they?

HERRO!!

I'm glad Shriken is stopping everything to point this out. I was just talking about this last chapter, so yay!! It was strange that he called it a patrol 'cause I'm pretty sure they were just palace guards chasing them. But if he was referrin to the regular patrol, I wonder why the Ice Talons don't have night patrols, especially during this time of war with the Wind Talons!

XD omg Felistia is awesome. She is definitely showing signs of not only leadership but her relation to Shiler. The two sisters have at least some similarities! Felistia didn't have to defend Zoltar at all, but she barely hesitated before defending him and even partially explained the circumstances Zoltar was in. I definitely see what you mean by this was primarily Felistia's story now as she feels like the main character here more than Zoltar!

I found it funny how Felistia threw the "if I were queen" card though, bahahaha. This is what reminded me of her sister as Shiler does the exact same thing. Felistia is using that excuse to basically throw her brother's argument back at him though, which is totally childish and very much a sibling thing to do. XD "If I actually were queen like you want me to, then you wouldn't be questioning me!"

More importantly, though, I am intrigued by this Ice Diamond. Felistia seems to say that it's useless to the Ice Talons, however there seems to be some significance to the Lightning Diamond. Why is there inconsistency between diamond and tribe? Why does the Lightning Talon give power to the Wind Talons when the Ice Diamond is useless to the Ice Talons? And what kind of power does it provide? Can Shiler use its magic, or does it require a Wind Talon?

I question Zoltar's intelligence a little bit here. He seems to recognize the name Lightning Diamond, so why was he unable to recognize it before? Did it just slip his mind that there were other diamonds in existence? Or did he think about it and dismiss the idea that the Ice Talon queen would have it 'cause it's so ridiculous to even think about? So he just stole it without thinking there'd be repercussions? Did he have any theories about that Lightning Diamond when he stole it to defend his decision?

Also, is there a fire diamond? Or do shadow talons only get a ruby? :(

I'm really in love with the idea of lining up gems with the dragon tribes and their elements, and I love the look of the two diamonds here. I'm also super happy that at least the Lightning Diamond has some significance to the Wind Talons, giving it more value and significance to the plot.

I totally think the Wind Talons took Shiraku and Emerald prisoner. Part of me wants it to be the Ice Talons that did it, further villainizing them, but I also like the idea of the Wind Talons doing it so as to villainize them instead, making this feel like there isn't a clear right answer. But anyway, I'm totally calling it. :D

felistia says...

Thank you for another review. Loved reading your thoughts on this. :D

And I am back to this novel. Was busy binge reviewing an old novel today. You might even know the author. Sorry it took so long to get to this.

First Impression: Oooh another chapter without meeting Emerald and Shiraku. The wait killing me. But at least we got to know about the diamonds. And those...well more on that later.

Let's get right to it,

Beautiful little establishing shot as always.

Shriken finally getting the courage to question all the planning behind his back. Good for him.

This part does a great job of showing us that Shriken is pretty sharp. He managed to work it all out pretty well.

Good thing that it didn't fall out. Seriously Zoltar just invest in a sack or something next time.

It’s a rock with no special properties. It’s useless to the Ice Talons.”

I have a feeling that she doesn't quite know exactly what special properties that rock has.

He has helped me many times and quite frankly can have the stone. And besides that, you said you wanted me to be the next queen, right? So shouldn’t I be able to make decisions like this without you questioning them. Either I’m the future ruler or not.”

Seems a little out of character for her to just straight up pull rank on her brother and basically order him to listen to her.

Now this is the approach I'd expect Felistia to lead with.

“I guess you’re right.”

Poor guy's having a rough time now.

Oh yes. *gets on the edge of the seat with anticipation*

Yes Shriken yes it does.

Also *falls off seat*

Meanwhile in the brain: *PARTY TIME!!!!*
Here's the official theory as it was recorded in the Hall of Theories:
I believe that the jewels represent some form of source of power for the dragons. Ruby of Fire - Ghost, Ice Diamond - Ice, Other Diamond - Source of power? Moon Talon or Wind Talon?
Got pretty close I think.

He’d read very little about this jewel. Only that it was the source of the Wind Talons power, but why would the Ice Talon queen have it?

This whole source of power thing is very interesting.

Felistia sighed, getting to her feet, “Anyway we need to get back. The others should have returned by now, I hope.”

They better have returned or they shall have to answer to me.

Another death by anticipation inducing cliffhanger. You are really good at those.

Overall: Now we move that plot forward. And some character growth for Shriken. Things are going good. Now we wait for the fate of Emerald and Shiraku.

Mind: "You guys get the day off for this victory. But be back tomorrow to work on that haunted volcano theory" (wink)

felistia says...

Thank you again for another review. You're going to love the later chapters when we explore the diamonds. :D

HarryHardy says...

Your Welcome!!!
Can't wait!! :D

A Change Once here on Young Writers Society, in chat, chickens wanted variety. They complained to Nate and after debate became funky orangutans silently.
— Mea