Home » Literary works » Short Story » Dramatic

12+

Untitled Short Story Ch. 3

by Honora

Isabelle looked at me square in the eye as she walked in the door. I had called her when I realized that I needed to talk to someone that wasn't my brother about this. If anyone was going to give me consolation about being stalked, it was Isabelle.

"Hey gurl! What was it you needed?" She asked, her cheery tone not fooling me as her eyebrow shot sky high with suspicion.

"Oh I don't know. Just wanted to hang, spill some tea, ya know." I said, shrugging my shoulder. Little did she know that I was going to be spilling gallons and gallons of tea to her. Even for Isabelle, she wasn't going to know how to handle what I had to say.

"Hmm, sure." She answered, her voice one hundred percent disbelieving.

I shrugged her off and walked over to the living room, leaving her to take off her shoes. She followed me as I started snuggling into the big comforter on the couch that I brought out from my room. She sat down beside me and grinned as she put the smooth blanket over top her legs. She sighed and I laughed as she revelled in the smooth touch.

After a minute or so of small talk, Isabelle's brows furrowed and she asked bluntly, "Ok what's going on Addy?"

My eyes sunk as I met her eyes, "Are you sure you actually want to know?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure cuz this isn't a walk in the park." I said, hoping to give her enough warning about how shitty the situation was.

She gave me one of her glares, her eyes slit and lips in a tight line. Yep, she was sure.

"Ok, well..." I gave her a recap of the previous night with the Dustin guy and the feeling I got that I was being watched. I would have laughed a few times at her reactions and hopes that I lost what was for my husband to take. Man, was she delusional. That was not where this was going.

Finally, as I was getting to this morning, her shoulders dropped as she realized that inbetween that time and now, there was no room for what she was hoping. I contined on despite her having little to no interest in what I was saying.

As I saw her eyes zoning out on me, I snapped, "Chris had a dream, okay!?"

Her head quickly snapped up as she searched my eyes for something, "Bull shit."

"I'm not lying!" I squealed, throwing my hands up defensively, "Why would I lie about something like that!?"

"No, no, I know that you're not lying but what the hell, Addy? What was it about?" She exclaimed, almost on the verge of hyperventalating. She was not going to like what I had say. I told her anyway. Her face growing more and more shocked. I swear, she almost had tears in her eyes.

"He's going to take your soul?" She asked, barely above a whisper, "No, you are Adeline...you don't fall in love. YOU advise ME against it so you won't fall for some phony...I forbid you. No, I don't even need to forbid you because you won't. You're you..."

She rambled on like this for a few minutes before I screeched, "Okay, enough! Jeez Louise! You basically just told me that I'm incapable of loving someone. Just because I don't go around like a slut doesn't mean I don't feel for anyone. You're just jealous because I can control myself." I paused but it was too late, I was mad and emotionally tired. I didn't need her ragging on me again about how I was a 'Miss Goody-Two Shoes' since I wasn't a hoe.

Isabelle's expression showed the hurt that I caused and felt bad. How she always managed to make me feel horrible for just saying the truth.

"Whatever. That's not really the problem here so I don't see why we should discuss it." She sniffed disdainfully, her nose up in the air as her lips pulled in a tight line.

I rolled my eyes to myself and forced myself to get back to the problem at hand, "So what do you think this is all about then?"

"I don't really know Adeline," she paused and I mentally noted how she used my name, a good indicator she was angry, "All I can say is that we can't get too worked up about it. This is going to happen either way so don't listen to his 'stay in the apartment' crap. Just keeping living I guess and see what happens."

"I suppose so," I said, not liking her thinking like the Council, "And I guess we can't assume that I'm going to die. I mean, his visions are always blotchy and we don't know the full picture." She nodded her head in agreement but stayed silent. After a few minutes, she told me she had to go and gave me a stiff hug, telling me everything would be fine. I shrugged it off as she walked out the door but she had no idea what was going through my head.

Left to my own devices again, I didn't know what to do. Chris had told me to stay in the apartment but I was going to go insane if I was left to think about what was happening. I went to my room and got changed quickly into a black skirt that landed just above my knee and a cute, black and white striped shirt. It hung just on my shoulder, showing the crevice of my neck but leaving the rest to the imagination.

Believe it or not, that was my brother's advice. He said guys are actually more attracted to a modest female because there is a mystery about her. It also showed a lot about a woman if she is confident enough to where what's "not in style". As a younger teenager, that's why I would wear my skirts but as I grew older, I found it more feminine and actually a lot more elegant. Men would open doors for me as I walked in stores and tip their hats to me and be respectful whereas when I wore jeans, there was no such treatment. Not that I looked down on jeans and such but it just wasn't for me.

Finally ready with a good outfit and my purse, I made my way out the door. A nice breakfast in a nice cafè sound about right for my mood.

I took the bus to the cozy comforts of Court Violet Cafe. An odd name I'll grant you but the deadly baking inside would make you forget any doubts about it.

I made my way to the back of the sitting area where they had multiple couches set up for customers. This is where I sat every time I came. The waitress came back and I ordered my usual. A strong coffee with two cream, one honey and they're dessert of the day.

I waited a short amount of time before the waitress came back with my order. I looked at the delicious looking dessert. It was some kind of glazed crossient with an assortment of raspberries, blueberries and strawberries. I took a bite and listened to Lewis Capoldi as it played on the speaker above me. I leaned back against the couch, relaxing as much as I could with my coffee in hand.

"Adeline?" An oddly familiar voice called out. I opened my closed eyes and almost grimaced. Dustin stood before me and I felt heat rush to my cheeks as I remembered how he had helped me. Although, with no drunken haze, I noticed his deep accent.

I forced myself to answer, "Oh, hi Dustin."

"How's the hangover?" He asked with a chuckle as he walked to the chair next to me and sat down. With the new information about the Immortal being around, I was slightly uneasy as he did so.

I smiled awkwardly, "Ehh, it was alright. I've had worse before so I can't complain."

"That's okay though. You were rather cute last night with how flustered you were." He said, chuckling. Awkward.

"Yeah, I guess so." I took a sip of my coffee to hide my face for a split second as I grimaced again. I wish he'd just leave me alone and go bug someone else.

Suddenly, I felt it again.

An intense need to look around myself and see if someone was watching flooded over my senses and I gave in to it. I scanned the little cafe but found no one popping out of the ordinary. I groaned as I didn't know what was going on in my head. Too much was happening too fast. I know the Gods hate me but really? I can't have even one day of my eighteenth year to be happy?

"Hello? Earth to Adeline?" Dustin said, shaking his hand in front of her face.

I snapped back to what was right in front of me. I took my last sip of coffee and was about to stand up, wanting to get away from the situation at hand. Maybe he was the Immortal and maybe he wasn't...I couldn't chance it.

You can't change was is to be....a little voice in my head cooed. For some reason, this calmed me and I stayed seated.

"So Dustin," I said cooly, "Where are you originally from?"

"I am from Britain," he answered, a smile on his face, "Did my accent give me away?"

I chuckled, "Well, I knew it wasn't from around here but I couldn't quite place from where."

"Ah well, whatever puts me out of the crowd." He said, giving me a wink. I rolled my eyes at the perfect display of an egotistical male.

I stayed silent, not wanting to give him the satisfaction he was looking for.

It was him that broke the silence before it got too long, "So how old are you, Adeline?"

"I'm eighteen." I said simply. I knew I shouldn't have told him, knowing him so little but for some reason I didn't care. If I was going to die, it may as well be by a hot, British dude.

"That explains some things." He stated, amusement lacing his words. I rolled my eyes again.

"And yourself?" I asked sassily in retaliation.

Dustin smiled, showing me his perfect smile, "I am eight hundred and sixty-two," he paused, giving me a second to comprehend what he was telling me, "The Immortal."

Shit.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:00 pm
shieldmaiden wrote a review...

Ah ha!!! Loved the ending. Not that it was a huge surprise, yet that he just came out and said who he was pretty surprising. I wish you hadn't ended it there. I want to see her reaction!!! However, in that case I guess you ended it perfectly. Now I'm on the edge of my seat to find out what happens next. Your doing a fantastic job!!

Honora says...

XD glad you like it!

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:40 am
Liberty wrote a review...

Hiii Honora!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight. I'm here to do a review for you like I said I would. :]

Ahh, I love it when best friends come to the rescue, shovel up spoonfuls of ice cream wih you, binge watch your favorite shows with you, and - oh I'm rambling. Started describing some people in real life. Oops. Actually, no, no regrets. Friends are awesome and I'm glad Addy reached out to Izzy. :)

Okay, so, uhh, I'm not sure whether Izzy is aware of the fact that Chris gets these dreams and there's some Immortal guy out there... Actually, I'm not even sure the rest of the world knows about this. But, what I'm trying to say, is wouldn't Izzy be more hesitant to believe what Addy told her especially if she wasn't in on this stuff earlier and/or she's a normal person? :|

Well, anyway, the tension between the girls didn't seem forced at all, but, geez, their kindnes sure did. I'm honestly wondering right now about whether Izzy is just going to back outta this situation, help out Chris and Addy, or just watch from the sidelines with some popcorn. xD

Anyway, off we go to the CV Cafe (yep, I gave it a shorter name)! Of course we were going to meet Dustin here. (I admit I keep on typing "Duncan" instead of "Dustin" because a charcter from my novella is named Duncan and it's just getting confusing xD)

Oh dear. Okay, so my suspicion was right from the beginning! Dustin is very much The Immortal and ahhhh! What's Addy gunna do?? *freaks out*

Okay, so, hold on. First of all, I dunno if it was meant to be sudden or anything like that, but Dustin just asking Addy's age all of a sudden is like, "Excuse me, it is impolite to ask a woman her age so bye." I honestly don't get how Addy can 8trust him so easily. I get he helped her after her party-of-a-sort, but... then the next day, they're sharing their ages. O.o It read smoothly, and not a hint of awkwardness was shown, but it just... Seemed odd to me so thought I'd point it out. :P

Anyways, this was an exciting chapter! I can't wait for the next. Oh, and, if you ever hanve questions about this review, feel free to ask me whenever.

And as always...

~Liberty

Honora says...

Hey Lib! Thank you for the review! Honestly, I know it all seems fast but that makes me happy because that is how I was trying to portray it! So, that is good XD
I will have to make it a bit more clear that the whole love, magicy feel is the world setting so everyone knows. I haven%u2019t really explained it well yet. :D
Thank you for pointing everything out! I appreciate it! :D

Honora says...

Liberty says...

Ahh, I see. Your welcome! :)

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 am
Gnomish wrote a review...

Some little things I noticed...

"She sighed and I laughed as she revelled in the smooth touch."
I'm not sure what this line contributes to the story. I think you could leave it out and that paragraph might not seem as slow.

"Are you sure cuz this isn't a walk in the park."
Cuz is short for because, and when it's used as a slang-type word it's generally spelt 'cause.

"I would have laughed a few times at her reactions and hopes that I lost what was for my husband to take."
Maybe I'm just being dense, but what do you mean "would have"?

"her shoulders dropped as she realized that inbetween that time and now"
You're missing a space between in and between.

"one honey and they're dessert of the day."
Their, not they're.

"shaking his hand in front of her face."
I think you just switched to third person here.

I'm sorry, I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but I don't see any problems with the plot, characters, descriptions, etc. I like the end of this, I think he admitted being the immortal perfectly. Also, have you considered changing the title of this story to The Immortal? Just a suggestion.
I hope this is helpful and please tell me if I was being to harsh! Looking forward to the next chapter!
-Gnomish

Honora says...

Hey Gnomish! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review! It is encouraging!
You dont have to worry about me being offended! Your help is why I am here!! :D :D
And yes, I was thinking about giving it a title. XD
Thank you again!

Honora says...

Thank you again!

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems