Rough, Uneven Edges

by Jaybird

Rough, Uneven Edges

I’m not the fragile piece of femininity
that I paint myself to be.
I try to hide my rough, uneven edges
behind pastels, defined borders
and cute avatars that
will never really be me.
I wield lowercase letters
instead of capitalization.
I say it’s for “style”
but it’s really because
I’m afraid of showing my abnormalities.

I’m not an “aesthetic” or “beautiful”.
Trying to figure out
how to format things
was never my forte.
Left for regular,
center for when I ramble too long
and right when I want
to hide my imperfections.

I can’t tell stories of boys and girls
entwined in a beautiful twilight.
I can’t stomach romances, and
hate watching the dark, gritty stories
that are panned off as “original"
but are really the same tropes
painted with a little less light.

I’m the one who wrote who
sat down day after day
and wrote a self-insert novel
in seventh grade
about a demon king
and girl who just wanted a friend.
I’m a slew of crossover fanfictions
that will never see the light of the internet.
I’m the girl who taught her
childhood characters how to turn
magic into swords and guns
because I always loved
writing fights like the
ones in the animes
I watched growing up.

I’m countless stories
stitched together with the same
worldbuilding thread--
unfinished on paper,
but told completely in my head.

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:49 pm
MiniGem26 wrote a review...

This is gem climbing out of her Jewelrybox for a review.

I really felt this poem. I loved every second! I could live in it! I do live in it.
The mix of faltering rhymes for truth just makes the effect that much better. I think this just flows amazingly. Thank you for this poem. Writing fanfics takes impressive in character role identification and I am proud of anyone who can. I am glad to know you. And I believe that you already know, you dont have to be a champion asthetic to be beautiful. You have achieved beauty through your very own attitude and sweetness and your powerful heart. I can't blame you for feeling off because of it though, because that is what the world is good at. Causing self doubt. That is why we need to get good at kicking the world in the butt. <3

This is gem signing off. Keep writing.

Jaybird says...

Thank you for your review! I'm glad you liked my poem. <3

MiniGem26 says...

You are always welcome.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:40 am
BEWriter wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this to be honest, and I definitely relate to it on a personal level! Please, keep up the amazing work!
Just a thought, maybe keep it as a rhyming poem or a non-rhyming poem. I think this would just help it flow a little better. Unless, of course, you intend it to be more of a free-verse, then I think it is great.
Thanks for the awesome poem!

Jaybird says...

Thanks for the review! I didn't realize there was a part where the poem rhymed - I was aiming for free-verse.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:44 am
dahlia58 wrote a review...

I'm afraid I'm not a good reviewer...But I've just got to say this. You're awesome. If you watched anime while growing up, wrote fanfics, self insert novels, and can recognize works utilizing overused tropes for what they are, you're simply great. I'd actually like to be friends with you, but since it's weird for a stranger on the internet to say that...Anyway, the poem itself is good. It actually feels more like prose due to the structuring, but poems are flexible I suppose.

I'm sure you've got a ton of amazing stories inside your head (especially if you've watched KNY). Keep up the good work.

Jaybird says...

Thank you so much for your review - and your compliments!

dahlia58 says...

My novel "Sleepless" is heavily based on anime (and light novels), if I haven't told you this before. Please have a look at it if you're interested (you don't need to leave a review or like, I'm just curious if other anime fans would approve of my style...)

dahlia58 says...

Like I said, you're great. No need for you to worry about "imperfections" at all.

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot