z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Butterfly Wings - Chapter 3 - Neon

by BlackThorne


Bags of chips and cans of soda gleamed from between sandwiches of shelf as freezers hummed. Daffodil stood in the candy aisle. Bags of candy swung on pegs sticking out from steel honeycombs and packs of folded over each other on racks. Layers upon layers of packaging and gleaming candies, sending sparse glints of light from neon tubes spinning off into the aggregate. It was half-dark, but still lit-up, half-shorted out, but still running.

Tak Tak Tak

Daffodil’s footsteps echoed on the flooring. It was cloudy out, a pale sunlight filtered through the window and tangled in her glossy blackish-brown hair.The gas station was dark, but still running. There was food here. Other things, too. And it was safe.

Tubes of neon light lined slanted metal shelves like waxy squiggles of cake frosting, glowing from behind glass freezer doors that reflected nothing. Bottles of Mountain Dew and Coca Cola in shades of black and lime leered from the shelves, rolled with brand-embossed labels and dripping with drops of condensation. A wave of cold air billowed out as she sucked open the sealed door, making her feel a little dizzy and reel, because she was so cold already. Clutching her hot water bottle to keep her head level, she grabbed a few rippled water bottles, of the cold kind, Dasani brand, and a lemon Gatorade, letting them drop into her eco-friendly cloth bag. 

Stumbling, she fell against a shelf. Her hot water bottle was by now more lukewarm, and losing heat fast. She wouldn’t be able to hold out for much longer. Soon, she would become gray and cold again. Her mind would cloud and the darkness would return.

She suddenly felt her fingers tingle, and her eyelids lift, to a flood of golden light. Her hands were on something solid and smooth. Rounds of pepperoni and melted cheese glistened as they sat on steel racks. It was the pizza warmer. She pulled herself up, onto her own two feet.

The darkness would have to wait a little longer.

There were no butterfly wings growing here. That was nice. Not many places were free of them, nowadays.

Packages of bright orange cheese cracker sandwiches oozing with peanut butter. A small frost-crusted box of pizza-flavored hot pockets that crinkled in plastic sleeves. Protein bars. Hershey bars. Wrinkled sausages of beef jerky that hurt your jaw muscles to chew. Moist snack cakes crumbling with glossy frosting and squeezing with cream filling. 

Food, that would keep her from dissolving into a ghost. That was important. So she needed this food not to rot. Some kinds of food would last longer than others. Like the frozen hot pockets compared to the beef jerky. She would probably expire before the beef jerky did.

She shook her bag and let the things shuffle around.

Food. Water. What else?

More things dropped into her eco-friendly cloth bag. Husky boxes of band-aids. A rattling pack of Advil. (Although a fever was probably the least of her worries.) A waxy tube of toothpaste, and a toothbrush with a faceful of soft bristles. A clicking lighter, a flashlight, dully shining batteries in glossy packaging. All of them went in the bag.

Running away. Packing. It seemed so natural. She wondered what she’d been like before she’d been so confused. What she’d been like when she was the real her. Had the real her thought of running away before? Had she daydreamed of leaving everything behind in lost minutes, of slinging a drawstring bag of travel supplies over her shoulders and letting the cords cut into her shoulders?

Was that why this was so easy?

Pushing aside the double doors, she felt around inside a grayish, waxy trash can standing outside, etched with white scratches and flapping a swinging lid. Her fingers hit plastic and she pulled out a soda bottle, empty except for a few iced-tea colored drops at the bottom.

Her shoes clacked across the floor and into the bathroom. It was almost pitch black, but a natural blackness. That thing couldn’t reach her here. She trickled a bit of bottled water into the soda bottle and swirled it around, then dumped it back out into the sink. Clean now. She pumped the soap dispenser, letting the slippery pink blob through the nozzle, bubbling sluggish, oozing bubbles. Soap. She would need soap, wouldn’t she? Soap was good to have.

Her arms ached. It seemed to come out so slow.

Why was she even getting soap from here? Here, a dark gas station bathroom hand soap dispenser?

What was she even doing here?

Well, here was safe. That thing couldn’t reach her here. Worms squirmed in her stomach as she thought of her house, blotted out with oozing shadow. It was an awful, cold blackness, that sucked away the light in her eyes and the feeling in her limbs. It was lucky she’d escaped. Lucky that here the floor didn’t ripple with water, or butterfly wings grow out of the walls and drip, or shadows didn’t collect in places they weren’t supposed to, with voices whispering out of them like tendrils of madness.

She was lucky.

Lucky.

She stepped out, bag now heavy with a bottle of hand soap. Bag now slung over her shoulder. AA security camera sprouted from the corner. Maybe it would have records of what it was like before all this. 

She went into the back room, and tapped the mouse. The computer screen lit up.

SURVEILLANCE RECORDS 9/9-9-29

>>9-9.mp4

The video was grainy, like sand, and had parallel lines sliding across the screen. A fluid image of a top angle of the counter rippled onscreen, dotted with a bubbly blue button.

>>PLAY

The picture unfroze, and started to move.

2X SPEED

The sky grew brighter. The cashier stood by the register, face jerking back and forth as her small movements were magnified. People blurred through the out-of-focus doors, swirling smeared paths around the shelves.

1X SPEED

Their movements slowed. She could see what they were doing now. A hassled woman dangled a pinched, glossy purse on her arm and rummaged for money at the cash register, ringlets of hair bouncing around her head. A man waited behind her, unshaven and unhurried, a bottle of coke in one hand and a dollar bill in the other. Two teenagers, pink-cheeked and glistening with the sweat of a recent run, opened the glass freezer door and handed each other a slick bottle of water.

What would it be like, she wondered? Just to live? With memories? Without butterfly wings growing out of you? Without shadows eating your home?

She closed the file, and clicked on the most recent one.

9-39.mp4

>>PLAY

It wasn't much different. The same cash register, the same counter, the same aggregate floor, the same tops of aisle shelves, the same crackly bags of candy, the same hot dog rollers and pizza warmers, glinting in the pale light. Except for one thing.

The light was a saturated blue. Not day and not night. Morning, early morning. When had the cameras booted up and started recording? 5AM? 6AM? Did they even turn off at all?

Because whoever was there, behind the grainy, watery file and the lines sliding across the screen, had gotten there earlier, and was eating a deer raw.

It splayed ungracefully over the terrazzo, half its skin peeled away like a corn husk, exposing the quivering muscles underneath. Its heart was still pumping, feebly, like a dying jellyfish, and the sinews shook as a boy, about fifteen, tore apart the entrails. His mouth was stained with layers of fresh blood on top of old, that dripped from its flesh and smeared the floor.The boy ate calmly, as if he was enjoying a steak on a Sunday evening. It was horrifying, but she couldn’t look away. Not until he got up, wiped his mouth, and dragged the deer away by its hind legs.

She held down the power button until the screen went dark, and didn’t move for a long time.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 31
Reviews: 62

Donate
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:36 pm
RadDog13579 wrote a review...



Hi @BlackThorne, RadDog here! Damn, this chapter is kind of dark. The ending really got under my skin, this butterfly wing fungus is creepy. Cutos if that what you were going for. I assume that some time has passed since the fungus started but it would be nice to have a set in stone answer. Also, I would try to break up the paragraphs. They felt a but clunky and lengthy. That's all from me! (4 more chapters to go) happy writing.

-RadDog



Random avatar
BlackThorne says...


Thanks for the review! :D I'll definitely take a look at the paragraphs.



User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 2198
Reviews: 36

Donate
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:31 am
starlitnight wrote a review...



well crap, that ending is giving me chills. i hope she doesn't run into that boy (or maybe i do?? who knows).

small note, there should be a space between these two sentences :) and take out the "a" in "a pale sunlight" because it's unneeded.

It was cloudy out, a pale sunlight filtered through the window and tangled in her glossy blackish-brown hair.The gas station was dark, but still running.


otherwise, this is a really well-written chapter! i like that you focused more on one character here, not that the switching perspectives were bad, but fleshing out a character is also good too~

keep up the good work! ^w^

~laynie <3



Random avatar
BlackThorne says...


thanks!! :)



starlitnight says...


you're welcome !! ^w^



User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:38 pm
Lib wrote a review...



Hiya, BT!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight. I'm here to drop off a review for you this Review Day to give this piece a little push out of the Green Room. I haven't read the first two chapters, so I apologize if I'm missing out some information. Without further ado, let's get right into it! :]

Now, the way you start this chapter off is interesting. Our main character is in a grocery store and she feels very ill. I have a feeling that there might be some disease, where in this area, there's butterfly wings growing out of people? And if they're completely covered by it at one point, they become ghostly, pale, and they die?? I'm not sure, but I'm trying to put pieces together with some of the pieces you've laid out in front of me. ^-^

Right, so let's talk descriptions. I love yours. In each paragraph, you give us the best possible details you could possibly give, and I get the most vivid images in my mind of whatever I read; the store, the hunger, the videos, etc., it was very well done, and I'll give you a very hearty pat on the back for that! :)

Speaking of the videos, I noticed that the tenses in those parts, were shifted over to the present tense. But if you look at it logically, it should have stayed past tense. All the other tenses in the story is perfectly fine, but you just need to fix up your tenses in the video scenes. And in a couple of parts in the not-video-scenes, there were a few tense mess-ups, so I suggest you look through that as well. =3

Okay, one last advice I want to leave you with: Always try to skim through your piece before you post it and look for minor errors that need some fixing up to avoid them.

I'm done with my review now! I hope this helped in some sort of way. Of course, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me whenever!

And as always...

Keep on writing!

~Liberty

~Happy Review Day~



Random avatar
BlackThorne says...


thanks! I appreciate the review! :D



Lib says...


Not a problem! :)



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 2965
Reviews: 44

Donate
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:49 pm
jster02 wrote a review...



I love the way you ended the chapter. It's creepy, sure, but it's a nice bit of insight into just how the virus is affecting everyone. I wonder if the people will start attacking one another or something. It'd certianly be an interesting twist, as gruesome as it sounds.

Anyways, this is probably my favorite chapter so far. I really liked how we got to spend some time with just one character long enough to get to know them a little better. I kind of get the sense Daffodil has been running away from things her whole life, which is why she says it feels "a little too easy." I'm guessing whatever shadow monster she's running from is a manifestation of that, seeing as it began at her house and drove her out. Maybe she's one of those people that can't stay in one place for too long or else they get restless? Regardless, I think you've done a good job of keeping the shadow monster a mystery for now. It really helps build suspense, though as I said last chapter, I do hope you explain it at some point. (But that's just my opinion).

Speaking of leaving things unsaid, I noticed Daffodil was using the heat to keep her mind clear, like you mentioned last chapter in the comments. I was a little surprised that you didn't have a scene where she discovers this at some point, as I know I would've probably been a little confused when it was first mentioned if I hadn't already known about it myself. (Unless that scene did happen and I missed it somehow). You may want to put that scene in somewhere to reduce potential confusion, though I'm sure people would figure it out on their own after a while if you didn't, so it's not a huge deal.

One thing I noticed in this chapter is that you spent a lot of time describing the food in the store. I counted at least two and a half paragraphs of it. This is fine and all, but there came a point where I was just skimming over them without really paying attention. You may want to condense these sections if possible, as they don't seem to add much to the story.


So, that's pretty much all I've got to say about this chapter. I really am enjoying this story, and hope to read the next chapter soon. Have a nice weekend!

-Jster



Random avatar
BlackThorne says...


yea, as this was for nanowrimo, a lot of stuff I wrote was just to stuff more words in :P I cut out some of it, and I'll probably cut out more.
as to the running away part, if you'll take a careful look, what I meant, at least, is that she'd spent a lot of her life wanting to run away.
finally, as will be clarified later, at least the existence of the shadows isn't individual.
thanks for the review! :D


Random avatar
BlackThorne says...


p.s. daffodil wasn't exactly using the heat to keep her head clear, she just kind of stumbled onto it. as a result, though, she is aware. at this point in time, though the heat keeps her head clear from the clouding influence of the plague, she's not quite in a totally clear headspace right now, which is due to the amnesia combined with her solitude.



jster02 says...


Solitude has an effect too? Should be interesting to see what happens when the characters start meeting up.


Random avatar
BlackThorne says...


in any situation, having no prior memories and being somewhere alone for a long period of time would mess up your headspace, plague or otherwise.




[while trapped in a bucket of popcorn] You know what the worst part is? It's not even butter. We're gonna be destroyed by... ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING!
— Blake Bradley, Power Rangers Ninja Storm