z

Young Writers Society



Children with Stars in their Veins (Chapter 6.1)

by mellifera


a/n: hey, thanks for checking out Starry Veins! This is the novel I wrote for Round V of LMS, and it's still a first draft! While I don't discourage any feedback, I prefer not to receive feedback on grammar! I'm not polishing this draft up yet, so I'm not as concerned about editing. I am, of course, open to all feedback, but I ask that you keep this in consideration! Thanks <3

*

[Rowan]

“Ow.”

Rowan rolled their eyes and tugged on one of Cassius’ curls. “I wasn’t even touching you.” They gently ran the comb through a knot in his hair, and Cassius squirmed. Again.

“I can brush my own hair, Ori,” Cassius grumbled.

“Really?” Rowan purposefully gave him another tug and Cassius yelped. “I wouldn’t have known. You always look like you’ve never seen a comb in your life.”

From where she was crouching to lace the tall, white hide boots, their ma pursued her lips to hide her smile. That made Rowan grin. Ember, from her place on Cassius’ bed, didn’t even try to conceal her snicker.

“They’re right,” she said. “Wear all the nice, pretty clothes you like, but you always look like you’ve just fallen out of bed.”

In the mirror, they watched Cassius roll his eyes. “It’s so tangled all the time, it takes forever. It just gets all frizzy.”

“That’s because you try to brush it when it’s dry.” Rowan held up the wide-toothed, ivory comb and waved it in Cassius’ face. “Use this when it’s not wet. Learn how to take care of yourself, rat.”

Ma stood up and gave them a stern look, even though her eyes were glittering. “Don’t call Cassius a rat.” She appraised Cassius and adjusted the collar of his tunic that curled out from his neck in a wing-like point over his shoulders. “He looks very pretty. The blue embroidery brings out his eyes, and the gold lace highlights his hair and skin tone.”

Rowan sighed, mostly satisfied with Cassius’ curls—it wasn’t like they would be able to tame them anymore than they already had—and set aside the ivory comb. “Everything brings out his eyes, Ma. Everything looks good with his hair.” They pinched Cassius’ ear, gently, and Cassius squawked, swatting them away. “I swear, you’re using magic.”

“Am not!” Cassius protested. “What would you even say to invoke that? Blend this mortal vessel to attire?

“You’d be more likely to turn into your own trousers,” Rowan replied.

Ember snickered again, doing absolutely nothing to help with the preceding of dressing Cassius for tonight. She was only half ready either, even though Rowan had implored her to bring her own clothes to put on while they and their Ma helped Cassius out. She’d tied back her hair with a silk ribbon to hide the fact she hadn’t brushed hers either, but there was some smear of something on her nose and she wasn’t bothering to wipe it off.

“Nobody’s turning into anything,” Ma said, and then grabbed Cassius’ hand and guided him to stand up.

She made a twirling gesture with her finger, and Cassius whirled around. The train of his pearl-coloured tunic flared out around his legs. Rowan crossed their arms, appraising the snowy outfit. Ma was right, even the white brought out the gold-bronze of Cassius’ skin.

“Are you excited?” Ma asked Cassius. “Fourteen already. The years fly by faster than I can blink.”

Cassius’ smile at his opportunity to show himself off waned. He glanced down at his hands, partially covered by the dripping gold lace off his sleeves. “Yeah.”

Ma’s grin melted into a concerned frown. She tucked a fallen strand of black hair behind her ear and opened her mouth to say something.

“Hey, Ma,” Rowan interjected, before she could say anything. They loved their ma more than anything but trying to get to the root of whatever was bugging Cassius would take more than some motherly worry. “Could you go see how the set-up in the gathering hall is going? I think Ember’s mum and Cassius’ dad were working on the cake, and they wanted your input on edible flowers.”

She met their gaze with a knowing look, and then nodded and reached out to gently pat Cassius’ cheek. “Don’t go and get into any mud or give yourself any papercuts now.” She crossed the room to the door, and it clicked shut behind her quietly.

They shared a glance with Ember, and then turned to Cassius.

“So, how are you really feeling?” they asked.

Cassius shook his head and walked over to sit next to Ember on the bed. “I mean, yeah. Excited. It’s my birthday.”

Ember put her elbow on his shoulder and rested her chin against her fist. “Uh huh. And I saw a phoenix last week.” She went to reach for his hair, but Rowan cleared their throat, and she seemed to think better of it. “You’re a terrible liar.”

“Am not!” Cassius swatted Ember off his shoulder. Then he shrugged, groaned, and threw himself backwards onto his bed with as much drama as he could muster. “This is the last birthday that Belle’s gonna be here with me.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Ember scoffed. “It’s not like they’re leaving forever.”

“I’m not stupid. I know she wants this, even if she’s too nice to say so.” Cassius frowned up at the ceiling. “She’ll go out into the world, and she’ll see how great it is, and then she won’t want to come back.”

Rowan sat down on the armchair Cassius had been occupying while they did his hair, threw on leg over the other, and stretched out their arms over the sides of the chair. “You’ve never been out there, how do you know it’s so great?”

“Yeah, and besides, who’s to say we don’t follow them?” Ember punched Cassius’ foot, but he either didn’t feel it or chose not to react. She winced. Punching his boot probably hadn’t been the wisest decision.

“Uh huh,” Cassius mocked. “And what if they don’t come back? Like, not even here, but at all?”

They frowned and tilting their head. Their hair slid over the exposed skin of their shoulder, untouched by their navy-coloured, velvet robe. “Why wouldn’t they?”

Glancing over between them and Cassius, Ember was frowning now too. Cassius pulled himself back up, his expression solemn now. “I overheard something. Something the council was talking about.”

Ember’s eyebrows went to her hairline and she smacked Cassius in the shoulder. “You eavesdropped on a council meeting and didn’t tell me?!

“How’d you manage to not get caught?” Rowan asked

Cassius’ cheeks darkened. “It was kind of an accident.” He looked up at Rowan. “But that’s not the point. You know the tales of the cursed ruins, don’t you? I thought you were just telling superstition, but the adults are fussy about it too…”

Rowan raised an eyebrow and leaned back. “You thought I was what?” Then, because they knew it would irritate him, they smiled. “‘It’s just superstition.’ You know, you sound like Stormy.”

That earned him a gaped mouth and a scowl. “I do not—”

“He said the same thing.” Rowan shrugged.

“Oh, grow up you two,” Ember snapped. “What do the tales say? I mean, are Belle and Stormy in danger?” She crossed her arms. “Margaretta wouldn’t let them go if it meant putting them in harm’s way though, right?”

“I don’t think she believes the stories about the curses or whatever,” Cassius said. “She seemed irritated by the questions about it. Said something about not believing the superstition.” He frowned. “Gracia asked if they knew about the dangers, Stormy and Belle I mean. Margaretta said they do.”

Ember glanced towards them. “What are the stories about the ruins anyway?”

“Explorers and treasure seekers that go to the ruins, or even near ‘em, they say they never come back. Those that claim to have gotten close say they heard things, saw shadows. There’s always something there, like its discouraging anyone from going to the ruins.” They slumped in the chair. “Imagine if they’re true. What if its some kind of protection magic? Think of how old that could be! It could be magic nobody alive knows anything about. And what about what could be buried in the kingdoms? What kind of history would be lost there? What about a real explanation for how the three kingdoms fell in the first place?”

“That’s not the point though,” Ember said. “If nobody who goes there ever comes back, why would Margaretta be leading a bunch of people there?”

“She said something about a key.” Cassius shrugged. “Says she’s sure that we have it. The Chronicler’s Guild. The council? I don’t know, someone has it though. She said something about how curses are like locks?”

Rowan pulled a clump of their hair over their shoulder and began to twirl it around their finger. “No curse is unbreakable, some just can’t be worked out. Yeah, it’s like locks. Some even get rusty, or too old.” They looked down at their sleek black boots and knocked the end of their heels against the floor. “So, she thinks she has the key. How wonderful would it be? To be a part of the expedition that unlocked the secrets of the ruins and their history.” They scowled. “If I was a year older.”

“Bully for them, they’re dumb for not letting you come,” Ember said. Then she hopped from Cassius’ bed, and grabbed his shoulder to drag him with her. “C’mon. We only have a few hours before the party starts, and I need help with the stupid laces on my dress. Besides, Lana wants you to do her hair, ‘cus Belle was off in the village with Ash doing gross romantic stuff.”

“Good to know I’m her second choice,” they said, trying not to smile. They failed. Alanna’s hair was nearly as soft as theirs, and thick as anything. On one hand, the silkiness made it slippery, but the thickness balanced it out. When they could get Alanna to sit still long enough, they loved working with her hair.

Ember linked her arms between both Cassius and Rowan’s, and then began to drag them out the door. At least Cassius looked a little livelier.

For the first time since learning about the ruins, Rowan hoped that the stories were only superstition.

word count:

1,656


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:21 pm
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Heya mel,

Shady here with a review for you today! It'll probably be on the shorter side because I'm not feeling great today, but alas, Team Tortoisers press on ;)

From where she was crouching to lace the tall, white hide boots,


The "white hide boots" really confused me at first. I get what you're going for, but I was like "what are hide boots?" and re-read it a couple of times before I understood. Maybe clarify a bit more what kind of animal the hide came from or add a hyphen or something to make it clearer what you're going for?

He looks very pretty.


Ahah I love Ma <3 Wholesome

“Are you excited?” Ma asked Cassius. “Fourteen already. The years fly by faster than I can blink.”


Wait did we do like a several month time-skip here?

Ember put her elbow on his shoulder and rested her chin against her fist.


I love her so much <3

That earned him a gaped mouth and a scowl. “I do not—”


ahahaha

Ember linked her arms between both Cassius and Rowan’s


Ember is everything and I swear if you HURT her I will--

~ ~ ~

Omg this is so cute! I love these three the most of all of your characters so far.

I stand by what I said about your nicknames being confusing. Is there a reason they're important? I'm just confused why you use nicknames that are nothing at all like the real name? Like Cassius becoming Cass? Yeah, sure, that makes sense. But like Isadora becoming Belle???

I don't hate the nicknames themselves. If you want them to go by Belle and Stormy and such that works -- but I am notoriously Bad at remembering character names (I am ashamed but I legit had to go through and look up Levin's name for my BtD re-write because I couldn't even remember my own character's name xD) but the nicknames are getting really really hard for me to keep straight at this point. I'm already trying to keep straight who is who, and then there's that added layer of trying to keep straight which nickname goes with who and then who that person is and it's just a lot.

But! I am absolutely loving this story! I'm so glad you asked me to review it because it is adorable and I'm here for it.

~Shady 8)




mellifera says...


Wait did we do like a several month time-skip here?


no? in the first chapter, Isadora mentions wanting to delay the expedition from the eighth day of the season to the thirteenth for Cassius' birthday? although I don't think I mentioned exactly how long it was to that time either, so I'll have to think about that. I apologise if that was confusing!

I will,,, also think on the nicknames. They were supposed to be fun, Softer things that they called each other? like, their "secret" names or the names that they called each other by, and there's a few that I actually kind of need for plot reasons later, but I will think about that being hard to follow. I tried to make it as easy as possible, but I'm sorry if it's just confusing! :(

thank you so much for your review!! <3 as always, I really do appreciate it!! (also I promise I'll get back to BtD soon!!)



User avatar
311 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 311

Donate
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:16 am
View Likes
Riverlight wrote a review...



Hello, @mellifera! Rather than do a chapter-by-chapter review, I am going to put the first six chapters plus the prologue right here for you today as I think you'd prefer one notification to seven, even if these reviews are shorter than i would normally make them.

Prologue
Woah. You've been at this for almost a year now... that's... woah.
Again... woah. Definitely an intriguing hook as a start of your story. I am already curious as to what exactly is going on here. However, it does feel long and awkwardly worded in a few parts.

Chapter 1
I felt some of your descriptions and wordings were a bit awkward, but mostly nice.
Heh, a kid trying to magic himself up a beard... that's new.
I feel like the dialogue in this chapter could be spruced up a little, and there isn't as much detail as I would like here. I am having difficulty painting a picture of these scenes in my head.

Chapter 2
I am not sure why "with" was italicized in that first sentence. I read it a few different ways, but it just didn't make sense. I am also pretty sure that second one is a sentence fragment.
I feel like this chapter is more focused on Ember than Mishal there at the start, though it improved as you went on.

Then she promptly sat upon the ground, or perhaps collapsed was the better word, and stared sullenly at the dirt.

I feel like you're putting in your own thoughts here, and it threw me off for a moment there. It's awkward and verbose, and it messes with the flow of the story.

Chapter 3
There was some excellent worldbuilding in the first half of this chapter, though I did notice a few tiny grammatical errors this time around. Like @HarryHardy said, it seems that you have created a complex magical system here that I would love to read about in greater detail pretty soon.

Chapter 4
Either... I am going crazy... or the places where you put the names are shifting... anyways... just... yeah, throwing that out there...
Ooh, I loved this first half. Lots of details, though quite a character dump. Love the "oops" at the end of the first half, made me laugh.

No One:
Still No One:
Not a Soul:
Me: Define Mishal
Cassius: blasted know it all that makes everyone feel stupid...

Also Me: DRAGON! YAY! :D

Chapter 5
Yelling... in the library? THAT'S EVIL.
Really doesn't feel like there's any plot development here, though we do get to see some training. I'm curious as to why Cassius didn't mention what he overheard just yet.

Chapter 6.1
Yes, I am about ninety-nine percent sure that the names are moving.
Just realized I am not a hundred percent sure how much time has gone by since Cassius is fourteen now... just saying...
Also, it is nice that he is started talking about what he has overheard. It really adds to the story at large at this point

Have a nice [*insert time of day here*]!!!




mellifera says...


as I think you'd prefer one notification to seven


incorrect, I will take all the notifications :P

Yelling... in the library? THAT'S EVIL.


RIGHT mishal how could you

without intending to sound defensive or non-appreciative, I would love if you could expand on some of the things you mentioned? I'm not sure what places you find awkwardly worded or long, or what dialogue you think needs sprucing up, etc? it's pretty broad, so I'm not sure if everything is awkwardly worded or just a few spots or...? I really do appreciate the feedback, I really don't want to sound ungrateful, but I would love if you could be a little more specific so that I know what needs fixing for draft two!

thank you so much for your review though!! Again, I really do appreciate it, and I apologise if I came across as defensive or rude!!

I hope you're having a wonderful time as well!



Riverlight says...


Would you rather me do a chapter-by-chapter review, or put it all here?



mellifera says...


whatever is easiest for you!



Riverlight says...


Ok, I
'll start on that later.



mellifera says...


ok, thank you!! I really appreciate it <3



User avatar
465 Reviews


Points: 29825
Reviews: 465

Donate
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:56 am
View Likes
starlitmind wrote a review...



HI HI <3 I'm back c:

“I wouldn’t have known. You always look like you’ve never seen a comb in your life.”


That can be me sometimes :3

their ma pursued her lips to hide her smile.


I believe you meant "pursed" instead of "pursued"

She was only half ready either


Maybe I'm just being dumb, but the "either" doesn't make sense? xD

Rowan had implored her to bring her own clothes to put on while they and their Ma helped Cassius out.


Since you have "their" before "Ma" you don't need to capitalize "Ma" since it's not being used as a name

cake


cake

Spoiler! :
Image


“She’ll go out into the world, and she’ll see how great it is, and then she won’t want to come back.”


Omg awww </3 I love that line

threw on leg over the other,


I believe you meant "one" instead of "on" :)

“Yeah, and besides, who’s to say we don’t follow them?”


Ooh, foreshadowing? :o I personally think "won't follow them" sounds better than "don't" since it's talking about the future

They frowned and tilting their head.


I believe "tilting" should be "tilted"

Cassius pulled himself back up, his expression solemn now. “I overheard something. Something the council was talking about.”


OOH YES FINALLY

Then she hopped from Cassius’ bed, and grabbed his shoulder to drag him with her. “C’mon. We only have a few hours before the party starts, and I need help with the stupid laces on my dress. Besides, Lana wants you to do her hair, ‘cus Belle was off in the village with Ash doing gross romantic stuff.”


Since you wrote Ember grabbed Cassius's shoulder, I assumed the "you" in Ember's dialogue was Cassius, not Rowan. I think it would be nice if you could clarify it was Rowan she was talking to! c:

Rowan hoped that the stories were only superstition.


You and me both. I think making "superstition" plural would make this sound better.

AND that's it! Okay, so I feel super bad for Cassius because he's overwhelmed with these thoughts of danger and death, and he can't even enjoy his birthday. I enjoyed seeing the softer side of him and how much he cares for Isadora. Also YAY, he finally spilled the beans of what he overheard :P Okay so the ruin stuff is getting more scary and dangerous-sounding, so I'm interested in how that will play out. Overall, another lovely chapter, and I hope this helped! :D

Image




User avatar
4100 Reviews


Points: 253913
Reviews: 4100

Donate
Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:46 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Now entering rapid review phase,

First Impression: Yaa!! Finally we are at the birthday party. The action should start soon. As for the chapter it does a really good job of showing the emotions of Cassius.

“Am not!” Cassius protested. “What would you even say to invoke that? Blend this mortal vessel to attire?”

“You’d be more likely to turn into your own trousers,” Rowan replied.


This is an absolutely hilarious image.

She made a twirling gesture with her finger, and Cassius whirled around. The train of his pearl-coloured tunic flared out around his legs. Rowan crossed their arms, appraising the snowy outfit. Ma was right, even the white brought out the gold-bronze of Cassius’ skin.


This is a lovely description. Also a clever way to describe the character. I love how you keep that as realistic as possible and don't just begin with descriptions for everyone.

“Are you excited?” Ma asked Cassius. “Fourteen already. The years fly by faster than I can blink.”


I thought he was twelve in the first chapter. How did he age two years all of a sudden?

“So, how are you really feeling?” they asked.

Cassius shook his head and walked over to sit next to Ember on the bed. “I mean, yeah. Excited. It’s my birthday.”


This really drives home how much Isadora means to him. Nice little touch.

“I’m not stupid. I know she wants this, even if she’s too nice to say so.” Cassius frowned up at the ceiling. “She’ll go out into the world, and she’ll see how great it is, and then she won’t want to come back.”


This seems like its a bit far-fetched. I know he is only fourteen but surely he can't think that they'd never come back.

They frowned and tilting their head. Their hair slid over the exposed skin of their shoulder, untouched by their navy-coloured, velvet robe. “Why wouldn’t they?”

Glancing over between them and Cassius, Ember was frowning now too. Cassius pulled himself back up, his expression solemn now. “I overheard something. Something the council was talking about.”

Ember’s eyebrows went to her hairline and she smacked Cassius in the shoulder. “You eavesdropped on a council meeting and didn’t tell me?!”


Wait, that was two days ago at least because we had all that training take place before this so why exactly did Cassius take so long to actually talk with them about this.

“Oh, grow up you two,” Ember snapped. “What do the tales say? I mean, are Belle and Stormy in danger?” She crossed her arms. “Margaretta wouldn’t let them go if it meant putting them in harm’s way though, right?”


I thought she already knew the tales. Didn't she talk about them with Mishal earlier when she confronted him about it?

“Explorers and treasure seekers that go to the ruins, or even near ‘em, they say they never come back. Those that claim to have gotten close say they heard things, saw shadows. There’s always something there, like its discouraging anyone from going to the ruins.” They slumped in the chair. “Imagine if they’re true. What if its some kind of protection magic? Think of how old that could be! It could be magic nobody alive knows anything about. And what about what could be buried in the kingdoms? What kind of history would be lost there? What about a real explanation for how the three kingdoms fell in the first place?”


Opening up a lot of potentially amazing worldbuilding.

Rowan pulled a clump of their hair over their shoulder and began to twirl it around their finger. “No curse is unbreakable, some just can’t be worked out. Yeah, it’s like locks. Some even get rusty, or too old.” They looked down at their sleek black boots and knocked the end of their heels against the floor. “So, she thinks she has the key. How wonderful would it be? To be a part of the expedition that unlocked the secrets of the ruins and their history.” They scowled. “If I was a year older.”


I thought he was only a few months younger, not a whole year. But this is a very big nitpick..

For the first time since learning about the ruins, Rowan hoped that the stories were only superstition.


Now that's an ending. Builds tension nicely.

And that's it for this one.

Overall: Nice chapter. Great dialogue as always. Couple of nitpicks here.

As always take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
641 Reviews


Points: 46598
Reviews: 641

Donate
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:13 pm
View Likes
Panikos wrote a review...



Helloooooo again!!

I hecking love Rowan. They're the bees knees and they make me laugh so much. When they called Cassius a rat I was absolutely creasing, especially with their mum's response. I don't know how much older Rowan is than Ember and Cassius, but I love the big-sibling dynamic they seem to have with them both. They tease them a bit, but you can tell they really care about them.

This chapter is definitely better than the last in that it feels more connected to Cassius's shenanigans in the library, though I'm surprised he doesn't bring up any of the things he overheard about trueblood and missing heirs. It would've been good to see them pry more into that particular mystery, especially as it seems long-established in my mind that the trip to the ruins is going to be dangerous. Obviously it makes sense that Cassius would be more concerned about Mishal and Isa's safety, but from a reader's perspective, I'd rather dwell on the stuff we've heard less about.

I think one of the issues with having so many narrators - as much as I love them all - is that it does feel like you go over the same mysteries and story beats several times from different perspectives. Even though it's nice to see how Rowan and Cassius and Ember mull over their worries about Mishal and Isa leaving, this is something we've already seen discussed many times already. Just make sure that each chapter advances the whole plot, not just an isolated character arc. That's one of the things that can make writing from multiple POVs so tricky.

A final note, but I found all the stuff about curses and locks very intriguing. The idea that they're almost puzzles, which can be solved and undone with enough work, gives me a really nice sense of how magic works in this universe. The little details about the nature of the curse in the ruins were really interesting, too, what with the mysterious disappearances and shadows flitting about. I can't wait until the characters get there, and I'm really excited to see exactly how Isadora and Mishal fit into this whole conundrum.

Also, happy birthday Cassius. I hope his 14th year is filled with as much chaos as the last.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:26 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



I just love your characters SO freaking much. I JUST LOVE THEM. I don't know how you manage to keep them all so individualized because there are so many but they are all so wonderful and hold their own and gosH I AM IN LOVE WITH YOUR CHARACTERS.

It has just been so fun getting these snippets into their lives and culture while also getting such good glimpses into their relationships as well. Now we see Rowan, Cassius, and Ember together, and Ma's reaction and even participation is so relatable. The reader almost kinda steps into her shoes, watching it all play out. It's just so entertaining. It's also another case where the parent on scene is depicting how normal this close relationship is between these kids and how the parents are hardly needed when they're watching out for each other so well.

Also, I freaking love pretty clothes and dress-up scenes, but I'm so terrible at writing them. I never find the words to say to describe nice clothes, but you do such a lovely job. It makes me swoon and happy with how pretty everyone is. <3

The banter on Cassius' hypothetical situation of using magic to look pretty is just hilarious.

Rowan's approach to comforting Cassius is fantastic. First off, their mother is clearly a cool mom 'cause she just knows when she needs to leave them to their own devices for a moment. She totally understands Rowan and trusts Rowan and is just like "okay, I know what you're saying, I will leave you guys alone," and just leaves. And then instead of a motherly tone, Rowan is just like straight-up "okay tell me the truth, kid." IT'S SO PERFECT.

oh omg tell me there are phoenixes in this

And now we also get a good look into their feelings about the inevitable trip to the ruins. and omg I'm jumping the gun but I was SO EXCITED when Ember mentioned the possibility of following them. like omG PLEASE DO THIS HOW FUN WOULD THAT BE

Cassius finally tells someone about the meeting (Ember's reaction is pure gold btw), and this is such a good way to go back and reflect on what the reader knows now. They're reiterating all these ideas now, explaining it in a different way that's a little more understandable, and now we're all in agreement as to the mystery of why. This is handled super well with Ember's lack of knowledge on the subject coupled with Rowan's expertise.

I find it fascinating how Ember isn't as depressed about this subject as she was earlier with Cassius and crossbow training. It makes me wonder if perhaps she doesn't like dwelling on negative feelings in general and tries to distract herself, but once in a while, the feelings just come BURSTING out and she's immediately ashamed and angry about it and such. Which would put this as a normal instance of Ember not wanting to talk about it, and instead dragging them out of the room to help her dress for the party. There was definitely emotion in that room -- Cassius' depression of them leaving, Rowan not being included on an adventure he'd be perfect for, and Ember's sadness and worry over what their friends would be walking into.

I'm hoping we get another glimpse into Isadora and Cassius' relationship, as well as Ember and Mishal's. These friendly couples seem the closest non-familial friendships (i.e., Isadora and Alanna's relationship is a sister bond). It will create a very bittersweet departure for them to see them happy and enjoying each other's company before they're wrenched apart. I'm also SO worried and excited about this mystery shroud around the ruins and just KNOW this is going to be such a fun and scary adventure, and the potential idea that at least Ember might follow and omg. omg could this be fun.




mellifera says...


I THINK ABOUT THEM SO MUCH ahh I'm so glad you love them too <333

I don't have much to say because the review is just?? awesome?? thank you!! it's so appreciated and I'm glad that you're enjoying this because I'm having so much fun haha

thank :D




You're a hairy, wizard!
— EllieMae