Love You Three Thousand

by FireSpyGirl

I’ve known you for 10 years,

your family is my family.

You have helped me through so much,

our bond is stronger than ever

Yet I am dying inside.

I have feelings for you

And the pain is overwhelming.

I cannot let you see how I feel.

I see you with your girlfriend,

your face shines with happiness,

I feel no hatred, no jealousy.

I feel only pain because of my feelings,

also joy that you are such a big part of my life.

It’s complicated.

To tell you how I feel would be wrong,

if I could though, it would be five words

instead of three.

Everyone says “I love you,”

but that isn’t enough for me.

If I could tell you how I feel,

I would have to say;

“I love you three thousand.”

And even that may not be enough.

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:10 pm
LZPianoGirl wrote a review...

Hello! I loved your poem. This poem has the same plot as many others, person falls for their best friend, but you made it so simple and easy to read. It is also different then all the other poems with this plot because you wrote about the pain the person feels and how they suffer, instead of the confidently confronting their best friend. The grammar, spelling, and punctuation was on point and I really enjoyed reading this poem. Keep on writing and Marry (early) Christmas!

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:53 pm
WinnyWriter wrote a review...

Hey, there! Great poem!! This sort of love poem has a little bit of a different twist than many others, which gives it a new flavor. The way you have the narrator basically falling in love with their long-time best friend is not necessarily a new concept, but you've laid it out in a beautiful, easy-to-read form.

I find it really interesting that you chose three thousand. I'm not exactly sure of my own take on that, to be honest. It seems it would be easier and possibly more commonly expected just to say "infinity" or something, as that would show limitlessness, whereas three thousand sets a definite ending boundary, even though it is a high number. However, I also feel like that by using three thousand, you've avoided the "to the moon and back" idea that can feel cheap and cliche sometimes. Often saying something like, "I love you times infinity," can be simply a claim made on an emotional whim, so in that respect, I like how you've used three thousand. My imagination also sees something more in this, and that is that perhaps the narrator and her friend have a special significance between themselves for the number three thousand, sort of like an inside joke that they've kept for years, only not a joke but a special gem of some sort.

The only point of critique I have is in where you say,

"To tell you how I feel would be wrong,

if I could though, it would be four words

instead of three."

Technically, the words, "I love you three thousand," is five words. . . .

Anyway, this is a really nice poem. Keep up the good work!

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:54 am
Raelyn says...

My heart just bursted into a million bits! Bravo darling bravo!

FireSpyGirl says...

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell