z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

Earth to the Moon (2)

by Elinor


It was a short walk down to their campsite. By now it was nearly dark. While we didn’t speak, he kept smiling at me. I could feel the butterflies dancing in my stomach. Soon, we were met by a girl with a round face and sandy brown hair. She focused right on Jay.

“It’s happening!” she said. Then she turned to me. “Hi, I’m Debbie.”

“Claire.”

“Hi,” she said with a smile.

We quickly followed behind her to a small camp.

Four sleeping bags of various colours, adorned with individual blankets and pillows. Centered around a fire pit and a larger tent. There were three others, all gathered around a shortwave radio. Two appeared to be my age, one had long blonde hair and a tired face and the other looked like a dark-haired Pattie Boyd. Beside them was someone who seemed at least a few years older, with perfect features, rosy cheeks and honey colored hair. They all noticed me and made a space as Debbie sat down, but stayed glued to the radio. The time for introductions was later. We were witnessing history.

“Houston, the Eagle has landed,” came a man’s voice, spoken in a thick midwestern accent. Neil Armstrong’s.

As he and Mission Control exchanged a few words, I turned back to Jay. He was still standing, off to the side, his arms crossed. “Jay?” I asked, getting his attention. He turned to me, his mouth a tight line. “Won’t you sit?”

In response, he said nothing, and turned back the way he was facing.

I felt my heart race, wondering what that had all been about.

Debbie touched my shoulder. “Don’t worry about it,” she said.

The chatter from the radio continued. Because we couldn’t see anything on television, one of the announcers explained what was happening.

“He’s taking his first step…”

Then, he said it. “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”

I had to admit, as little as I’d followed the news or really cared, my heart skipped a beat. They’d actually done it. It was hard not to be thrilled, swept up in it all. Of course, they still had to get back safely, but the hardest part was over.

Then, Jay’s voice cut through the night.

“I’d like to get to Bismarck by tomorrow night,” he said. Before either of us could respond, he disappeared into his tent.

For a moment, we sat there, staring at each other. Now that we knew the astronauts had succeeded in their mission, the radio itself had faded into the background. The girls asked me to introduce myself, so I did, and in turn they told me who they were. The honey-blonde was Helen. The dark haired girl was Sasha. Debbie had introduced herself earlier. Last was Alex, who seemed to have a look of permanent sadness fixed onto her face. My presence was so normal to them, and I wasn’t even treated like a guest but rather like I had always belonged.

Alex then asked me if my hair was natural.

“Yes.” My entire family had been redheads. I was often told I looked like Jane Asher. As if I could get Paul McCartney to want to marry me. It was an odd question though, as I was certain America had redheads. Lucille Ball came to mind immediately, but I supposed she was really a blonde.

“You’re so pretty,” she said then, barely audibly.

Me, pretty? In spite of what patrons of the diner often told me, I doubted I was anyone’s idea of female beauty.

After another moment of silence, Helen intervened. “Should we go down to the lake?” She asked.

At this hour, the water had to be cold and the air swarming with mosquitoes. I wondered where Jay had gone, and if he would re-emerge. I badly wanted to spend more time with him, to be in his presence.

Still, the unconditional acceptance of the girls made me want to spend more time with them. I reminded myself that the reason I did this was to meet new people and to live outside of my comfort zone.

“Do you have a change of clothes, Claire?” Helen asked me. I pegged her as the maternal one of the group, and not just because she was older.

“Um,” I said. It took me a minute to realize what Jay had done with my bags. They weren’t anywhere in sight. “Jay had my bags…”

Then, Sasha chimed in. “You can borrow from one of us,” she said. That was when I noticed clothes were scattered about the camp. Some dried on rocks, others on tree branches, others beside the various sleeping bags. In my plain sight, Alex took off her shirt, exposing her breasts in my plain sight, to change into an old t-shirt. I seemed to be the only one discomforted by this. She saw my expression and gave me a look.

“What?” she asked, her voice clipped.

I didn’t know how to respond. Helen caught my attention then. She stood up. “Come with me,” she said, leading me towards a pile of rocks a few paces out where a few shirts were. Then, Helen did the same thing with her change of shirt, but, unlike Alex, actually acknowledged my discomfort.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “I forget how different things must seem.” She then gave me a warm, reassuring smile, and handed me another shirt. Hesitantly, I began to change.

“I’ll look away,” she said. “But your body isn’t anything to be ashamed of.”

As she turned, I changed, leaving my shirt and my cutoffs right there. “Did Jay tell you that?” I asked.

Helen turned as I pulled the new t-shirt over my head and nodded. “He’s… well, you’ll see. If you stay with us.”

I laughed, out of nervousness, likely. I haven’t even thought towards the next day, much less any long term plans. Then, we all turned to the girls, who were ready.

Alex then began to dart into the darkness, far ahead of us.

I bit my lip. She seemed to have a chip on her shoulder and I wasn’t entirely sure why. The other girls in particular were much more warm. I figured that it had to be me, something about my sudden presence that upset her.

“Does Alex…? “ I asked. Not like me, I wanted to say, but somehow the words wouldn’t come. Sasha and Debbie, talking amongst themselves, followed her.

“She’s really nice once you get to know her,” Helen said as we then walked behind. “She’s just… she’s had a hard life.”

As we walked, I nodded, absorbing everything Helen was saying. I reasoned that she was right, that there were probably a million things going through Alex’s head that I didn’t understand.

Helen continued. “That’s what’s great about Jay,” she said, smiling. “Our pasts don’t matter. The only thing that matters is right now.”I liked that. Still, I was confused as to why Jay had reacted the way he did when all I had asked earlier was if he wanted to sit down. “Does he always leave you all alone?”

“He needs time to himself,” she said with a smile. “He wouldn’t have brought you here if he didn’t think you belonged with us.” Then, she squeezed my hand. “When the time is right, he’ll call for you.” I was almost entirely certain that she was talking about sex, but I was too nervous to ask for sure.

We’d arrived at the edge of the lake by now. Alex was already in the water, and Sasha quickly followed her. Helen went close behind, as did Debbie. They all looked to me. I stood at the edge of the lake, somewhat nervously.

“Jump in!” Sasha said.

“Is it cold?” I asked.

“No, it’s perfect,” she replied.

To hell with it. I began to laugh as I ran and jumped in. The cold stung for a brief moment, but as I emerged, I felt refreshed, at peace. I never would have done anything like this at university, never even dreamed of it. All in the water now, we waded in a circle, the moonlight softly illuminating our faces. I was probably only fifteen minutes from my flat by car but I felt much further away.

“Pretty amazing that the astronauts made it,” I said.

They all halfheartedly nodded, but it didn’t lead to the conversation I’d hoped it would. “I’d be an engineer if I didn’t hate maths.”

Alex laughed, although I wasn’t sure what was funny. I asked her.

“Maths,” she said, in a mocking tone.

“Sure, we say things differently in England.”

“Why are you here?” Alex snapped. I was increasingly uncomfortable in having this conversation around the others.

“I don’t know,” I said. “Jay picked me up, that’s all.” There was more I wanted to say, but I didn’t have the energy to fight with someone I barely knew who hated me for no reason. I turned around and swam back towards the shore. With no towel and dripping wet clothes, I was cold. I turned back for a moment and I saw what appeared to be the others comforting Alex, when she was the one that had been cruel to me the entire evening.

I made my way back to the camp, my discomfort exacerbated by the fact that I had no sleeping bag. I sat down and began to cry. As usual, I had come to premature conclusions about being accepted. Maybe I’d have them take me as far as Des Moines so I could catch a bus to Duluth. I wasn’t thrilled at the prospect of living with Mum and Dad, but at least they would give me a home while I figured things out. I realized that in the three years I’d been in the States, I’d never once felt at home. On some extended holiday from which there seemed to be no return. But maybe I could go back. I missed Laura and Millie and Dan terribly. I missed not being asked constantly about my hair and my accent and why I said certain words differently. England was my home. I let myself cry, and I suddenly became aware of a presence behind me.

Jay.

“What’s wrong?” He knelt next to me, his voice soft, his look concerned. He put a gentle, reassuring hand on my shoulder. “How can I help?”

“I don’t know,” I said. “I don’t know.”

He took me in his arms and let me cry. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 94
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:55 pm
View Likes
DottieSnark wrote a review...



Another great chapter! It was engaging, with great characters and description and you SPaG is great too.

As soon as this chapter started I was hooked. Debbie said “It’s happening!” and I actually said to myself, “What’s happening?!” Often the rehash of events your readers already know about can be boring, but you used their reactions of the moon landing to not tell us about that historical event, but about the characters and their attitudes.

I also loved the descriptions you used of the camp. You used the perfect amount to paint a word picture and my head and let me fill I the rest with my imagination. The scene came alive for me.

My presence was so normal to them, and I wasn’t even treated like a guest but rather like I had always belonged.

I loved this line. It was a really great way to set the attitudes of the cult members and give you a little insight on their interpersonal relationships and communication skills.

At this point the girls from the cult haven’t really felt alive. They felt more like writing devices than real people. But as I read on Alex started to become so much real to me. She stopped just being on of the cult-girls, but her own character who I wanted to learn about. It can be really hard creating characters who stick out and have their own personalities when you introduce so many at once who are all kind of fulfilling at same role. But you did a superb job with Alex!

I also thought you did a great job getting into Claire’s head. For example, when Claire jumped into the water I felt all of her emotions, from how it cold the water felt, to her joy as she swam to her hurt feelings and confusion as Alex snarked at her then got to be the one who was comforted by the others.

Anyway great chapter. I’m going to read the last one now. :D




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:05 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



Yaaaay! I was waiting so anxiously for the next part.

OMG THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. Hnnnnnnnnnnnng

You know, it's just super exciting to actually witness the moon-landing after all the build-up to it in with the past girls. It's like OMG. WE MADE IT. There's a certain thrill to it even for the reader. I think Claire's excitement to it was a bit sudden, so perhaps a little more acknowledgment to how passive she was about it until the girls' excitement rubbed off on her would work that abrupt emotion a bit better. I don't remember her being super excited about the moon landing in the first part, but maybe she was and was just playing it cool for Jay? Maybe I'm unclear as to what her stance is on it.

JAY. WHY ARE YOU SO RUDE.

I'm honestly surprised Claire isn't getting turned off after how BLEGH he's acting right now. He's immediately put off by the whole thing, he doesn't seem charming at all. He actually seems like a baby right now, like none of his girls are giving him attention. And since Claire is new here, wouldn't she... find that impatient? She's so independent, it seems like she'd be turned off by this behavior.

I just love that these girls are always so lovely to each other. Like they all get it and are supporting each other, not sure what to do about their emotions except endure them. Calling Claire pretty is just wonderful. I'm surprised they don't mention her accent. That seems like an "advantage" she'd have with winning over Jay, you know? Seems like a key feature to mention!

OMG WHAT DID JAY DO WITH HER BAGS ??

Ohhhh Helen is so lovely. She's so lovely. She's very conscious of the people around her, very sensitive to others' emotions. I mean they all are, but she seems even moreso. Like the narration said, she's very motherly. Her instincts are sharp.

SHE'S A PRETTY MAMA.

Omg Alex is being tested so much now. This is theeeee uh oh. Is it the fourth girl? Her patience is wearing so thin and now this BRITISH CHICK IS HERE. So maybe we ARE feeling even more threatened, and Alex is just taking it out on her. And the girls know, but Claire certainly doesn't.

AH YES, THE NARRATION MENTIONS HER ACCENT.

Omg Clarie is just homesick. After everything, all these spontanteous and rash decisions are a result of her being homsick. She just wants to go back to England, to territory she's familiar with. And now she doesn't even have her bags. my heart.

oMG GO AWAY JAY SHE DOESN'T NEED YOU.

omgomgomg there's going to be a third part, isn't there. And I'm going to hate Jay more and omgggggg.

Jabber, the One and Only!





It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey