Home » Literary works » Poetry » Dramatic

November 30th

by clancy

Falling against the wall

Everything blurry in the jolts

Lights flickering

Then darkness consuming

Screams lost in the guttural rolling of the earth

Running through the wreckage of

Fallen books

And broken glass

Aftershocks keeping

Only fear intact

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:07 pm
Leenedres wrote a review...

Sounds honestly like such a traumatizing thing to got through. Have you personally experienced one?
If not then congrats on writing such a good poem with high quality words!
This is the first time I read a poem which isn't about something nice and happy and I'm glad I did!
I wonder if that really is what it feels like to go through an earthquake..
Great job!

clancy says...

Yes, me and my family are currently living in Alaska and have felt them pretty often, though the size and intensity of this one made it far different. Definitely a terrifying experience and I hope to write more poetry about it soon. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:04 pm
Leenedres says...

Sounds honestly like such a traumatizing thing to got through, have you personally experienced one?

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm
Leenedres says...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:03 pm
Leenedres says...

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 am
Nenchjre says...

all I noticed was ur thumbnail... ima douche

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:59 am
hermione2001 wrote a review...

This is very realistic and raw which I really enjoyed. Also the length of the poem also fit into the aspect of fear and terror. A couple suggestions. First I would maybe take out "then" in "then darkness consuming" and just leave "darkness consuming" because I think it will convey the in the moment fear and unknown more realistically. I hope that made sense and it's completely up to you. I'm not judging just making suggestions. Just again, I really LOVED this and I can't wait to read more!

-hermione2001

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi clancy, welcome to the site! It sounds like this was a pretty terrifying event for you! I can't imagine going through an earthquake. Natural disasters are so scary, because there's so little we can do against them or even really to prepare.

The poem portrayed that terror really well - I get the sense that the speaker is going through the earthquake as the poem is happening around them. The main theme seems to be fear, unpredictability, and destruction.

As the other reviewers mentioned "than" in line 4 should be "then" - you use "than" for comparisons and "then" for transitions. :)

I also wasn't quite sure what to make of the last two lines:

Aftershocks keeping //
Only fear intact

-> I kept trying to read "aftershocks keeping" as it's own line, and couldn't make sense of it - it sort of works when you add the end line, but I think the division is a bit awkward really.

As for other suggestions, you do a good job describing different aspects of the environment and even get a bit of figurative language in there -> "darkness consuming", "fear intact", "guttural rolling" - those are nice, they add some depth to just the bare-bones description, and give a really full visual and emotional description for the reader.

I do think there could be maybe more description about what exactly the speaker feared - I mean I can make those cognitive leaps myself and guess but it wasn't absolutely clear what their fear was except the source of it being the destruction. I think you could also do even more with the figurative language - some lines were rather plane "fallen books" "broken glass" - what was the broken glass from? what did the fallen books look or sound like"? What was the emotional and physical impact of seeing those? Because it's a rather short and simple poem, I just think the main source of improvement might be in digging a bit deeper into the specificity of the whole event to paint a fuller picture.

Here's an article with some ideas for adding more specifics into poetry, and why it improves writing: Specificity in Poetry

That's all I had! Keep on writing! :)

~alliyah

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:48 pm
interstella wrote a review...

Hi, Clancy! This is a gripping poem. I love your descriptions, they allow me to picture the terror of the earthquake (I hope you Alaskans are doing okay). I especially like the line "the guttural rolling of the earth." It conjures up a raw, chaotic feeling.
My only critique is that "than" should be spelled "then." Also, maybe you could include some more details about the earthquake besides visual imagery? I suggest describing the reactions of those involved in the quake, and how they expressed their fear.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:28 pm
JulietWrites wrote a review...

Excellent use of word portrayal. I can really feel the situation! My two critiques are: I feel like the story should be longer. You're giving a lot of visual imagery, but not so much of the feeling of the story. Another thing- you say *than* darkness consuming when the proper word would be *then* darkness consuming.

When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him.
— Euripides