the most important poem of my life

by AudreyAce

(It's not letting me divide up stanzas oops)

A Coming Out Poem

I always knew I wasn’t like everyone else

They saw things in people I had gone without

Girls appeal for the guys

Brought me dismay

I guess I wasn’t straight

But I also wasn’t gay

I spent hours searching the internet for clues

Bisexual, pansexual, queer, all made me confused

Definitions, spectrums, identities and terms

They definitely didn’t match me and that was for sure

These glasses I wore didn’t show me “girls’” sight

They saw things in guys I couldn’t see if I tried

And girls, they were great

As a friend, nothing more

So what was wrong with me?

I never asked that before

I liked boys in a way I guess no one else did

When they saw a pretty face

I only saw eyes, ears and lips

When they awed over looks

Only personality I saw

I was normal to a point

With one fatal flaw

Once I thought that I could never belong

I stumbled across a community, a community so small

So small it makes up only one percent

But lucky for me a hundred of it I could accept

These people felt as I have for a while

I didn’t find them attractive, but I sure liked their smile

Before you say I’m too young or naive

I understand that now I am only fifteen

But if I came out as gay, people would question me less

News flash, I’m not

But I really want to stress

This is valid and real, not some made up thing

A small group of people that feel the same way

And although coming out

Shouldn't matter at all

People will assume you're straight

Before you even get a chance to talk

I'm not gonna say I'm proud to lqbt

But I'll say this, I'm just proud to be me

So I guess what my point is

Is that I am what I am

It's not a trend, I swear

And its not to fit in

It's a label I like and one I’ll use for now

I’m asexual and happy that I know that now

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:42 am
ThatOneGuy2002 wrote a review...

Nice, honestly i am new as well and have screwed up on formatting, xD. Anyways, wonderfull!!! I love poems that are less about rhyme scheme and more about the thoughts that make up the soul of a poem. You did a fantastic job on this, congrats!! Also, awesome, I am so proud of you for getting it out, all those questions that lay pondering inside the mind, entertwining with eachother beyond the point of unravlement. You got it out! And I just want to say, todays society takes sexuality, transforming it into some sort of identification. This is further than the truth than wiser men know possible, you are you. That is the only identification that you will ever need. Anyways, look foward to hearing more in the future. :3

AudreyAce says...

Thank you so much!!

No, thank you. C:

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:32 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hey there! First of all, here is a thread on how to format poetry in the Publishing Center. I know, it's a bit annoying, but there's a way, we promise!

Anyways, onto your poem. Before I talk about the content itself, I do want to point out a few nitpicks I noticed:

I'm not gonna say I'm proud to lqbt

You're proud to be LGBTQ, you mean?

And its not to fit in

It's*

Okay, so! This was a lovely poem and I am so happy that you are comfortable sharing this with us. It means a lot to me to hear that you have discovered who you are and are brave enough to share that with the world. You are loved and accepted and you are okay just the way that you are. This was a beautiful poem and I enjoyed reading it so much. I'm super glad that it had so much emotion to it; it's so much easier for a reader to relate to a poem if they can tell that the poem was written with emotion, and if the poem is personal to the author. It makes the writing much more real and relatable.

My only problem with this is the forced rhythm. I know, metered poetry is so hard, which is why I usually opt for free-verse poetry. It's hard to make the rhythm work, but it is important to do your best to not force it, and it is easy to tell that you forced the rhythm in some spots. You have to be mindful of this as you're writing. Forced rhythm ruins the flow of the poem and will confuse the reader or snap them out of the allure, and then you'll lose their attention. For something as personal as this poem is, I suggest getting rid of the rhythm scheme altogether and opting for a free-verse poem, which will give you the freedom to be as descriptive and as emotional as possible. I know metered poetry has its appeal, but I genuinely think that something as personal as this needs the reader to focus entirely on the content of the poem itself and not the rhymes.

That's my suggestion but it's up to you. Either way, this still was a lovely poem and I enjoyed reading it. I hope this helps. xx

AudreyAce says...

Thank you so much for the review!

Ash xx

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 pm
AutumnDawn wrote a review...

oh my god... I am almost in tears... THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL AND SO HEARTWARMING.
I hate it when people judge people because they are different. I once heard a guy say lets ship all those non straight folks else where. that broke my heart. not because I am gay or anything like that.
I am straight. but I loved to understand and be there for people. so whenever I hear a new term or anything that may related or help someone one day fueled loved and treasured I study like my life depends on it.
I also have bi friends. who simply amazing. to me doesn't matter what color you are, how old you are , if you are depressed, a loner, gay , bi, transgender. I don't care who your family is. or what rumors are spreading about you.
all I care about is you. because you are a human. thats all care about. and if you are happy. anyway such a beautiful job. and I hope all good things go to you. and that you continue write such beautiful and kind things. and keep posting them.

You know, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender - people are people.- Judith Light

Yes, we become stronger when men and women, young and old, gay and straight, native-born and immigrant fight together to create the kind of country we all know we can become.- Bernie Sanders

The poetry you read has been written for you, each of you - black, white, Hispanic, man, woman, gay, straight.- Maya Angelou

AudreyAce says...

We need more people like you in this world.

Ash xx

AutumnDawn says...

thanks.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 am
Wriskypump says...

I wish I could trade you. Sounds relaxing to me

AudreyAce says...

Trade me? What do you mean?

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson