The Hero's Brother (7.1)

by mellifera

It was the day after Isha had done her best to explain what was going on with the coterie, and with Shiloh. Carter had been restless all night, still unable to conceive why Shiloh had ended up in the coterie in the first place.

He hadn’t gotten a chance to ask how long she had been with them. Now, as they travelled in a formation on the horses – heading for the Crossroads – Carter hadn’t quite worked up the courage to approach Isha or Gideon yet.

Was it something he had done to push her to such an extreme? He and Shiloh didn’t fight often, and they never fought badly. Even comfortable enough to have an argument with his sister, Carter didn’t like raising his voice. And he had known enough discomfort in his life to do his best to be flexible.

She had never hinted towards anything like this. Shiloh wasn’t a criminal- his sister was gentle but stood her ground. She wasn’t afraid to take up a challenge, or do the dirty work, or put herself in harms way. His sister had been, for all intents and purpose, the exact opposite of criminal. If anything, she would have been the crime fighting sort of hero from their adventure stories.

Still, Isha’s accounting…Shiloh suddenly spooking? She was impulsive. Often times she’d bought things, namely for Carter, even if he insisted he didn’t need them- especially since they hardly had the money for it. Once, she’d challenged a knight accompanying a passing caravan to a duel once, just because-

Oh. Oh. Shiloh had won that fight. Carter had always wondered how. He’d never seen Shiloh sword fighting before.

“Why is the cat here?”

Carter jumped in his seat, enough that Reese quickened her pace until Carter shushed her and leaned back, giving her reins a soft tug. She chewed the bit but put her head down and relaxed.

Then he looked up to see Gideon, walking Villa next to them, watching him cautiously. Carter glanced around, as if somebody else would have some sort of answer for him.

Whisper was riding a short distance away from them, and although they weren’t facing Carter, he had a distinct feeling they were watching Gideon closely. Koshar was, surprisingly enough, somehow draped on the saddle in front of them. Achille didn’t seem concerned by this, despite the nervous glances he sent everything else.

A glance towards Isha revealed that she was watching him. Or Gideon. He wasn’t sure, but either way, she was smirking, but looked away when they made eye contact.

He cleared his throat, a tightness coiling around his chest. “Um. What did you-?” Carter turned back to Gideon.

“The- her cat. What’s it’s deal?” Gideon nodded towards Whisper and Koshar. Bird song trilled above them, somewhere behind Carter, and a few scattered leaves fell from the trees around them.

“Oh- Koshar is, well, um. He’s their cat? I mean, he’s been with Whisper for as long as I’ve known them.” He adjusted the reins in his hands, the ebony leather sliding against the brown, calloused skin of his hands.

Gideon opened his mouth to speak but paused as his brow dipped. “Them?” he asked.

Blinking, Carter met his gaze. Warmth spread across his face, but he forced himself not to look away this time. He swallowed instead. “Oh that’s- yeah? Winnie is- goes by they and, um, them? They don’t mind she, and her, I guess. But they’re not like- it’s just that they don’t-” Carter shifted in his saddle, frustrated at his own inadequacy at speaking.

But before he said anything else, Gideon’s gaze shifted curiously past him to Winnie, and he stewed for a moment. Then his brow twitched again, and he nodded. “Oh,” he said, looking away towards Isha in front of them. “I see.”

Carter shifted in his seat again, pressing his heels down in his stirrups and hugging Reese’s barrel. Gideon sees? What did that mean? Was he going to look down on Winnie, just like everyone else in the village? Was he going to be as close-minded and self-centred as to think it affected him?

He glanced down to Villa instead, hoping the sight of the young mare would calm him. Instead, he found Gideon held Villa’s rein tight and she kept bouncing her head up and down. She had a sensitive mouth and preferred softer contact than most of the horses.

His own grip tightened on his reins, but not enough to pull on Reese’s mouth. She still wickered at him softly and her ears swivelled. Carter gave her some slack, and then glanced irritably back at Gideon.

After a few more moments of silent riding that was making Carter only perpetually more uncomfortable, he cleared his throat. Loudly. Gideon glanced over at him in surprise. Carter frowned at him.

“Can you not- You’re pulling on Villa’s mouth,” Carter said, gesturing to Gideon’s hands. For a moment, Gideon looked perplexed, glancing down at the reins as if they were some sort of foreign object he’d never seen before. Carter felt a fire stoke in his chest. Doesn’t he know how to ride? “The- um, the bit. You’re pulling the reins back too far. She’s sensitive.”

Gideon gave him an odd look. “It matters?”

Indignation burned in Carter’s heart and he met Gideon’s gaze head-on, his gaze hot. “Yes, it matters. I’ve- I’ve taught her. She knows how to- how to round, but you can’t pull on her mouth. Loosen your- loosen the reins and let her stretch her neck.”

Still squinting his eyes, Gideon looked away from Carter towards his hands. He let the leather slide carefully from his hands, until Villa stopped tossing her head. Instead, she arched her neck and levelled her nose, chewing more contentedly on the bit.

When Gideon glanced back up at Carter, something softening in his features, it finally dawned on Carter that he had been practically ordering Gideon around. His face grew hot, as if held on the edge of a flame, and he quickly glanced away, his stomach churning.

He didn’t regret it, not really, but it didn’t stop the nausea rolling inside of him.

Villa and Gideon were still beside him, and he could feel Gideon’s gaze burning into the side of his head like a scalding iron. Carter felt his ears grow hot too and became quickly thankful that his head of dark curls covered his ears, so that Gideon could not see how red they were.

He kept his gaze steadfastly ahead, when he realised that sunlight was pouring through the trees ahead of them. He could see the edge of the forest as it opened into a field, or at least a crossing, and the sky swallowed the earth beyond.

“The road’s ahead,” Isha called. “We’ll should be coming to the Crossroads shortly, if the route I checked was correct on the map.”

She then spurred Fabella on into a trot, and the rest were quick to follow. Carter glanced towards his side as they came to the edge of the lush forest – which was certainly less intimidating and much more comforting in the daylight – and saw Whisper nudging Achille closer to him and Reese.

The ground crunched under the relentless hooves of the four horses. Carter couldn’t help but fret over the possibility of one of them stepping onto a rock, or something that would otherwise injure their foot. He was careful back at Bazzoli’s about keeping the horses well cared for, but with little supply and Gideon breathing down his neck, he wasn’t sure how much he could do if one of the horses fell lame.

They had to break their line to find enough space between the trees, but they all managed to break away into the yawning field. Carter blinked as the sunlight beat down on them, glaring into his eyes and blinding him momentarily.

Once the daze had worn off, he found that Isha had been right- ahead of them lay a worn, but well enough kept dust road. It was just ahead of them on a slope from where they were in a slight ditch of long and unkempt grass.

Carter slowed Reese to a walk, not wanting her to misstep and twist something anymore than he wanted her to step on something. He brought her up the slope first, and curiously, everyone else seemed to follow his lead.

Now, out of the shade of the trees, Carter had to admit that even as hot as it was out, the sun kissing his skin felt good. It felt like a blanket being wrapped around him, as though he were a child again and Shiloh was tucking him into his bed for the night.

He sighed, and turned Reese to follow after Isha and Whisper, who were just ahead of him and had encouraged both their mounts to trot again. He nudged Reese with his heels, and she quietly and dutifully obeyed.

Gideon brought Villa back up next to him again, and Carter felt the impending sort of doom that came with a conversation. A glance towards Gideon found him scowling, and Carter could feel all sorts of walls shooting up around him. He had been hoping he was past the scowling, grumpy Gideon. Evidently, he was not.

Then Gideon glanced over at him. “Isha told me she wants to train you,” he said, his voice reserved.

Carter tilted his head before he could think about it. Gideon sounded…unsure? What is he trying to get? Gideon had already made it clear what he thought of Carter. Was he mocking him? Here to tell him he had changed his mind now? To turn back to Midvale?

“You’re going to need it. She wants to train you in physical combat, but it would be best for everyone if you learned how to fight with a sword, or a bow and arrow. At least knowing how to defend yourself. Whisper too, she-” Gideon’s jaw twitched. “They need to learn as well. You- you can’t stay with us if you aren’t going to be useful when combat inevitably falls upon us.”

As Gideon’s words processed through his mind, Carter felt both it and his stomach start to swirl. He wanted to learn how to fight no more than he did last night. That had crossed his mind to- he knew if it came down to it, Carter would probably take a sword to himself than to someone else.

Before he could begin to even consider how to respond, Isha abruptly slowed Fabella to a walk and held up her hands. “We’re here.” She pulled Fabella to a halt and turned back to face Gideon and Carter. They rode up to meet her, although Carter nudged Reese with his right heel to walk up to the far side of Whisper, where he was blocked from Isha and Gideon.

Sure enough, ahead in the distance, Carter could see the posts, erected into a wall in a circle, around what must have been the Crossroads. From here, it didn’t look that big, definitely not bigger than Midvale.

There was a watchtower that stood tall, almost imposing, in front the spiked wall of the outpost. He could see a gate beside the watchtower, and guards that stood on either side of it, armour glinting in the sun’s glare.

Even from where they stood, Carter could smell smoke, from a wood-fire most likely, and rich smells from, undoubtedly, caravans coming through with trade goods.

“Come on,” Isha said, nudging Fabella forward again. “Let’s not wait for the Crossroads to come to us. Hope you all have your grocery lists, we won’t be here for long.”

She and Gideon started off ahead of them, while Carter hesitated to exchange a glance with Winnie. They gave him a quiet smile, one that did wonders to settle Carter’s nerves, and dipped their chin to him.

“Whatever you’re thinking about your sister, stop.” As Carter blinked and his brow furrowed, Whisper shook their head in a sort of exasperated fondness. “I know you well, and I know you’re blaming yourself, so stop. Shiloh wouldn’t have wanted that.”

They gently nudged Achille to step closer to Reese, so Whisper could reach out to touch Carter’s forearm and rub it gently, like a parent would.

“You know Shiloh better than anyone Carter. Trust in your own heart, in your own knowledge. You know whatever mess she got herself in was not born out of malice.”

Carter met Winnie’s eyes, dark and calm, ever watchful and vigilant, and felt a weight roll off his shoulders. He let out a heavy sigh, and his chin dropped, but he still gave them a weak nod.

He didn’t know how they always knew what to say to make him feel better. It was honestly like a special sort of magic that they had. It was, at the very least, somewhat exciting to believe, even if it weren’t true.

“Come,” Winnie spurred Achille forward with a bright smile. “Let’s not keep our companions waiting.”

Warmth blossomed in Carter’s heart, and, in lighter spirits, he asked for Reese to follow suit beside them.

word count: 2,195

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:10 am
Querencia wrote a review...

Hello again!

as they travelled in a formation on the horses

What kind of formation? For protection??

Ahhh I was hoping this would be addressed at some point, seeing as Gideon has been using "she"! :)

“We’ll should be coming to the Crossroads shortly, if the route I checked was correct on the map.”

Since the Crossroads is where they can restock supplies, it seems fairly important to be sure of the route and the map! If there's uncertainty, the map might even need to be checked again. They're probably not in danger with supplies (though I haven't seen them actually have food I don't think?) but getting lost wouldn't be great. Would Carter be concerned about this possibility?

He brought her up the slope first, and curiously, everyone else seemed to follow his lead.

He sighed, and turned Reese to follow after Isha and Whisper, who were just ahead of him and had encouraged both their mounts to trot again.

A little disconnect here as to their ordering? Unless Carter is only leading them in pace in that first quote.

I really appreciate this coming from (the all-knowing) Whisper, but it feels a little misplaced? Carter was thinking about her at the beginning of the chapter, but his thoughts have since drifted from horses to Whisper's pronouns to conversation with Gideon, so I wonder if the bit about Shiloh earlier could be moved, or maybe more dispersed throughout to make this advice seem more timely?

I really liked this chapter! Sort of an interlude, but I did like to see the "they/them" talked about, and the fact that Gideon actually used it. ;) And, obviously, he wants Carter to train with sharp objects, as Isha already said he might. I do also greatly enjoy seeing the horses and their personalities, but I think that you might need to be a little careful so that it doesn't overshadow other key things that are happening--obviously the horses are important to Carter, so they're emphasized a little more, but they shouldn't distract too much from Plot Things. :)

Also, I love Koshar riding in front of the saddle somehow? Fantastic.

-Q

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:43 pm

The pacing of this segment was awesome, really! Considering we just got out of camp after a night of dialogue and calmness, the ride was equally calm but contained some really good bits that I think were necessary. Particularly, Carter's thoughts pertaining to Shiloh and what he learned of the previous night.

In fact, starting this chapter with that kind of narration was really good and led in to the segment super well! Very smooth transition.

I like the conversation with Gideon about Villa. This is actually an incredibly significant conversation here because we finally see a glimpse of the courageous Carter that could potentially be useful later on. He stood up to Gideon for the sake of the horses he cares about dearly, and while he did realize afterward what he had done and grew embarrassed for it, this is still a powerful scene for him early on and constructed well enough to tease the reader. Like yes, Carter can do this. We just need to weed it out of him!

And to keep things moving, we do happen upon the Crossroads now, or we see them at a distance. I don't know how long they've been traveling, but it must've been a couple hours or so to back up the necessity for setting camp last chapter. If they were only twenty minutes away from the Crossroads, they probably would have just gone all the way there without camp (unless for reasons unspecified), so I'm assuming they were traveling for a while in this segment.

OH before I get into Carter's conversation with Whisper, I wanted to say I like how Gideon reacted to hearing about Whisper's preferred pronouns. He seemed adult-grumpy about it, but he's not disrespectful. He even went out of his way to correct himself later, so this is also a powerful moment for Gideon's character. I'm sure he'll tell Isha at some point, and she'll pick up on it pretty quick with no trouble. But I'm proud of Gideon!

So I enjoyed Whisper's discussion with Carter. It reinforces the reason they're here for Carter and how necessary they are in keeping Carter calm through this scary ordeal. Now it was weird to hear that Whisper started the conversation by saying they knew he was thinking about Shiloh, but that was a while back. Arriving at the Crossroads, Carter wasn't thinking about Shiloh.

This is the spot! In fact, I don't think he really thought about Shiloh since the beginning of the chapter. I like how Whisper's conversation is tying back to that narration at the beginning, but I don't know if it's right to start the conversation this way either. Perhaps Whisper saying that it'll be okay, addressing his more recent concerns like with Gideon or the horses or the Crossroads, and that they ALSO know he's been blaming himself for what happened, referring to the beginning here.

I'm not sure if that makes sense? Basically, my first reaction to Whisper's dialogue was, "wait, was he talking about Shiloh? nnnnno, he's thinking about the Crossroads and Gideon ?? OH ARE THEY REFERRING TO THE START??!"

I'm making a big deal out of nothing! XD

I'm enjoying this chapter though! Like I said, I think the pacing is excellent and things are progressing well. Looking forward to what'll happen to them at the Crossroads!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:49 pm
Messenger wrote a review...

Trying to sneak in 2 reviews since I have some extra time, so sorry if it's a little short. Trying to get back on track where I can give you reviews as you post but I guess we'll see.

just a couple thoughts I had on this chapter.

1) You mention how even though it was hot outside, Carter enjoyed the warmth. My question is, what is the weather? Because a couple of chapters ago it seemed like it was more of a chilly fall-ish setting, and in chapter 6 they just made what sounded like a really big fire, but would you really want/need a large fire if it was the middle of the summer. Sounds really hot to me.

2) I like that we got some more info on Shiloh through Carter's memories. We got to see a lot about her character and personality, how she is almost a mother to Carter. Which made me wonder: what happened to their parents? I don't remember if you mentioned anything about that, but it did make me wonder if that will ever affect anything.

3) I'm glad that you got us moving in this chapter. You didn't take any more time with the fire, and even though you start out with us in Carter's mind, we are still moving all the time, and already approaching Crossroads, which is awesome!

4) I loved the conversation between Winnie and Carter, and along with that, I noticed that you used Winnie more in this chapter instead of Whisper, when it was a more intimate friendship type of talk, rather than Carter telling Gideon about Whisper.

5) Speaking of Whisper, it sounds like perhaps the magic involved may not be so much like fireballing hurling magic, but perhaps more like that one X-Woman who can control people with her touch. Perhaps Winnie doesn't have the same, and maybe the analogy of Carter being soothed by the conversation was JUST an analogy, but I want to believe that magic is coming, so I'm sticking with my theory haha

More to come soon
~Messy

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:13 am
soundofmind wrote a review...

*swoops in* Here and back again with another review for you!! Again, hoping something will be helpful lol.

Okay so, I love that like, in last chapter's review I was like "oh I wanna see Carter looking back, wondering about Shiloh and the coterie" and then BOOM, you was already on the same page lol. HERE IT IS! YAY!

I like how Carter's beginning to feel like maybe he doesn't know Shiloh as well as he thought - because well, obviously he doesn't since a large part of her life was kept secret from him.

I like this little detail, but a part of me wants... MORE details lol. Like, a part of me wishes this was like a full flashback instead? I want to know more of the context as to why Shiloh challenged the person to a duel? If there were repercussions after, if police intervened, or anything like that. But at the same time, I feel that might be too bulky or drawn out in terms of pacing?

This is really only a small nit-picky thing, but I kinda wonder if the bird trills and stuff could be put before this piece of dialogue somewhere? I dunno, maybe it's just a personal thing, but I feel like little setting details like this, unless they're really relevant to the conversation or reactions between the others as they converse, aren't super... important? It almost feels kind of random. Like, don't get me wrong! I like it! I like that image! But I almost wish it came sooner. Idk where exactly you could fit it in. Maybe after Reese relaxes or something. I'm not sure. Anywho, movin' on haaaa...

He wasn’t sure, but either way, she was smirking, but looked away when they made eye contact.

I have a feeling Isha is entertained by the awkward and tense relationship between Gideon and Carter haha. To be fair, it is very entertaining... and provides a lot of opportunities for little comedic moments b/c of their contrast haha.

Warmth spread across his face, but he forced himself not to look away this time.

I like that this... kind of implies that he's tryna be more brave 'cuz he's gonna stick up for his friend. It's pure aND HE MUST BE PROTECTED.

Aww... it's interesting that Carter feels so bad for ordering him around, but I also wonder if he feels bad less about the ordering and more about the way in which he ordered Gideon around? Maybe just because he was a little harsher than he felt he should've been? 'Cause I mean... nothing's wrong with telling Gideon to ease up so Villa's more comfortable (but I get!! It's not that easy for Carter!). But like! In a way I'm kinda proud of Carter. I know it's always easier for him to talk about horses and stuff in general so it was nice to see him develop a little, or just show this side of himself that's passionate about caring for horses and making sure they're okay. I keep wondering about Gideon's reactions. I feel like Gideon's always a little surprised by Carter every now and then, lol - probably because I have a feeling that Gideon is used to working with and talking with people more like Isha, and other criminal types, and not people as soft and sensitive as Carter. NOW I WANNA KNOW LIKE, did his expression soften b/c he felt kinda bad, or because he wanted to make Carter feel more comfortable??? I NEED GIDEON'S POV. STAT. Okay I know it's all been from Carter's POV so I probably won't but MAN do I wanna know what's going on in HIS head.

“They need to learn as well. You- you can’t stay with us if you aren’t going to be useful when combat inevitably falls upon us.”

... okay so. I DOn'T hATE THIS BIT WHERE GIDEON TALKS ABOUT FIGHTING, and it works! But I also feel like... it's almost not differentiated enough from his talk with Isha, so it kind of feels like the same kind of conversation and thought process again? I dunno if there was something specific you were aiming for with Gideon bringing it up apart from him saying "I think you SHOULD learn to use a sword" unlike Isha? Idk. I mean, that's legit. But it did feel a little like "oh I've read some of this before."

You know Shiloh better than anyone Carter.

I like Winnie. They're really sweet. A part of me kinda wishes there was more lead-in to them saying this with Carter's thoughts from the beginning of this chapter? It's not a huge deal, but I kind of felt like I had to go back up and read back about how Carter was blaming himself and whatnot.

BUT YES, Winnie is a good voice of reason and I'm glad Winnie grounds Carter so well. I really want to know more about them, but I know the focus is on Carter!! Like, agh, I just... I wanna know more about ALL of the side characters. Isha is probably the one I feel like has had the least interaction w/Carter directly, so she feels a little less tangible than the rest. But I still love them all.

I'm rooting for them, and I really hope they make it through the crossroads safely!! AAAaaa

<3 Hope you're having a good day!!

mellifera says...

sOUND your reviews give me life bless you these are amazing and I love reading them <333 (sorry I haven't been responding though!! D: )

it's good to know you'd like to see Gideon's pov (;

I hope you're having a great day too!!

soundofmind says...

AA no prob and hh I'm glad you're liking my reviews :,,)

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:19 am

Hi Shikora here again to review your work.

What I like

Wow I can really see things moving along in this chapter. And the name you chose for this story is really starting the fit in. I no I said this in the last chapter but I'll say it again. I really like it that your chapters are long first off because I really like long chapter as second is that it doesn't feel rushed.

The plot

In every chapter I read I can see the plot coming into play even more. It just makes me want to read even more but sadly you haven't posted the next chapter yet.

Characters

With every passing chapter i find out even more with every character you have in this book. it also is really good because I'm forming a really good connection with them like you have.

Setting

The setting in this chapter is really good I have such a clear image in my head. And I know what is going in. Even though your writing is so good I'm going to share something with you that helps me write even better. So what I do is list these things off in my head sound, feel, sight and smell. With these things my writing is a lot better then it was before. So keep up the good work.

So that is all from me and I hope you never stop writing and have a great day/night.

Your friend
Shikora. :D

mellifera says...

Thank you for your review!

I admit that I could have done a better job with sensory descriptions, but thank you for bringing it up! I'm super glad to hear you're liking the story!!

I hope you're also having a great day/night!! Thank you again for the review :D

Your welcome! I'm glad I could help!

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:59 am
Dossereana wrote a review...

Hi there @scribbleinks I am here to do a review on your work.
I think that your doing grate job here right now I think that there is a lot of deatal to this I like you sens of ten chin here. I really like the names that you have here it really is good. okay I do think that you talk a lot there is not really any description in this. also I am a bit confused of who the mane Character is to.
what dose the soundings look like.
what dose the mane Character look like.
I am not even shore if it is a boy our a girl right now.
also I think that you should start going in to you mane characters thoughts a bit more so we no a bit more of what he our she is thinking right now.
also what dose the characters feel like are the sad happy over joyed, or are they made, frustrated, skied afraid, or are they between. see you have to have some more description to it. it dose sound like Isha is the mane character though am I right our am I wrong.
also were are they right now.
are they in a hospital.
our a dentist.
our are they just living in there home. and see what dose there home look like. I do think that there is a short amount of description here. So that is all that I can say. So keep up the good work.

@EagleFly out to seek and kill

mellifera says...

Hey! Thank you for the review :D

I'm not exactly sure what you're confused about? Are there specific places you felt lost? I know in the beginning I failed to give proper descriptions, but I did mention several times afterwards they were in a forest on horseback?

And ah, Carter is the main character, and he is referred to several times as a male? I'm...sorry if that's not clear? I'm not sure how Isha could come across as the main character because she's hardly involved in this chapter?

I'm happy to answer any questions you have or to try to clear up any confusion! I'm just, not exactly sure what you're confused about?

But still!! Thank you for the review <3 I appreciate it, and I hope you're having a wonderful time!

Dossereana says...

you seem to menchan Isha I a lot and as peshly in the beginning part

I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal