z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

This could be Heaven

by FlamingPhoenix


The large crystal blue waves wash up onto the shore

The cool water washing over my feet.

Then slowly rolls back into the ocean.


Small grains of sand find their way in between my toes

As the water slowly leaves

The hot sun bakes my back as I stand in the sand.


How I long to dive into the water

To see the other world

Down in the depths of the sea.


I watch as small fish swim around my feet

When the tide slowly comes in

Their scales shining in the sunlight.


Again a cold salty breeze blows past my face

The salty smell brushes past my nose

As I breathe in the sweet sent.


Standing here in the water

As it laps at my feet

I feel at peace.


This could be Heaven


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
590 Reviews


Points: 1234
Reviews: 590

Donate
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:51 am
View Likes
Mageheart wrote a review...



Hello again! I'm back to read another one of your imagery-filled poems.

Compared to your other poems that focus on nature, this poem actually brings the reader into the scene through the narrator's observations. I'm glad you went that route - the title gives the reader expectations for how beautiful the sea will be, and the style of poem delivers on those expectations. By showing the sea through the narrator's eyes, the reader can understand why the narrator thinks it could be Heaven.

I mentioned in my review of "A River of Orange" that you should move the picture to the end of the poem, but I think the photograph works even better at the beginning of this particular one. The title doesn't let the reader know what the poem will be about - which is definitely okay! - but the picture clues them in on what they're going to read.

I also love how the last line is its own stanza. It really makes it stand out, and it makes the reader grin when they realize the poem's fulfilled its promise.

I have a couple of areas that I want to point out, but it's nothing major.

As I breathe in the sweet sent.


"Sent" should be "scent".

Again a cold salty breeze blows past my face

The salty smell brushes past my nose


You use "salty" and "past" in both lines, so you might want to change up your word choice to give the lines more variety. Here's an example of how you can change them:

Again a cold breeze blows past me,

The salty smell reaches my nose


You don't have to follow that particular piece of advice, but I wanted to bring it up in case you were struggling to come up with an alternative when you first wrote this poem.

This could be Heaven


You might want to add a period after "Heaven". Punctuation can be a stylistic choice in poetry, but it left me feeling unfulfilled when I came to the poem's ending - a period there would give a sense of finality.

Other than that, your poem looks great! Besides "Alone", I think this one might be my favorite of yours.

Thanks for the awesome read!

Image






Thank you so much Mage! Your being a great help, and I agree with everything you have been saying!
Ps: I think you might like my poem called Life Or Death.



User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:36 pm
View Likes
Lib wrote a review...



Heyo, FlamingPhoenix!

This is a lovely poem, it's like re-reading a dream, if ya know what I mean. It's really nice, I love how you explained all the details like the fishes, the sun, the ocean. That's like your talent! I'm pretty sure it is. Anyways, grammar was perfect, and spelling was perfect accept I saw one thing in this line:

"As I breathe in the sweet sent."

I'm pretty sure, 'sent' in supposed to be 'scent'. The word 'sent' means sending something or someone to something or someone. Ya know what I mean? Anyways, great job with the rhyming!

Keep on writing!

~Liberty500






Yes I know what you mean, I don't pick things like that up very well. So Thank you for the review. I guess describing things is my talent. XD



Lib says...


It is! :D





I guess your right.



Lib says...


Don't 'guess'. 'Know'. :D





Lol





Lol



Lib says...


XD



User avatar
231 Reviews


Points: 3770
Reviews: 231

Donate
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:56 am
View Likes
dogsrule5 wrote a review...



Hey Dogs here for a review!

I loved this poem, it was beautifully written, but I have a thing to point out!

sent should be spelled scent. The word sent is like sending a package or sending mail to somewhere where scent is like: The scent of the city smells as if it just rained.

I can tell your writing has improved a lot sense I met you so keep up the great work!

I can't wait to read more of your poems in the future!

Keep up the great writing,
Love,
Dogs






Thanks for the review Dogs! I'll go fix the spelling mistake soon.



dogsrule5 says...


Anytime!





I'll let you no when I have another poem on YWS



dogsrule5 says...


Great!



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 1634
Reviews: 37

Donate
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:54 pm
Louisiana15 wrote a review...



Hello!! This was beautifully written. I have a few things to comment on.

First, waves of the ocean, in literature, is how sex is described since back-in-the-day, it was improper to describe sex. Sooooo. From that, desire (not necessarily sexual desire) is perfectly portrayed. I'm not sure if you noticed that connection, but if you did, great job!


Next, I found this a little choppy, and I can see it fits perfectly with the choppy waves of the sea, but when I was reading this I wanted to feel the smooth, rolling waves and the frequent stops from periods kept me from feeling the full power of the ocean. It seemed awkward/annoying (mind blank--there was a different word I wanted to use but it slipped my mind... sorry) that I had to constantly stop at the period.


I agree with cinderellie, "salty" seen twice in stanza 5 makes it awkward. I suggest you either omit one of them or find a synonym.

Imagery is on point. It was clear, like the ocean :) You focused on the beauty of the ocean--the whole point of the poem--so, I am glad you used positive language versus neutral or negative.

I like how the final line of the poem is "This could be Heaven." It seems so out of place and random but the way you set up for it through the stanzas before it was cleverly built. That gives it so much more power and meaning for a single phrase.

Again, beautiful job!--Louisiana






Thanks for the review!



User avatar


Points: 112
Reviews: 2

Donate
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:30 pm
View Likes
cinderellie says...



I love the vivid descriptions in this. Because of them, I feel like I'm there with you. The calmness this poem gives to those who read it is magnificent. In the fifth stanza, however, I would try not to use the word salty twice, but I still love this!!






Thanks for all the kind words. I'm going to fix the using of salty twice soon.



User avatar
415 Reviews


Points: 246
Reviews: 415

Donate
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:36 am
View Likes
Eros wrote a review...



Hello, Shikora!!

This is Eros here ...again with a review for this beautiful poem of yours!

I must say, you have improved a lot upon the Nitpicks... Absolutely no error. I can't see any mistake in punctuation also and ..word choice is great. I loved the poem so much!

I felt as I was standing at the Ocean shore. The description was amazing... I felt so calm while I was reading the whole poem and the meaning the scenary is described so beautifully.
The Feelong of water splashing on the feet ... sometimes on the face... The smell--- everything. You did a great job by connecting to the readers' senses--- visual, olfactory ...touch or the feeeling to the skin..... It was awesome.

And ... The flow of the poem is very smooth too. That picture is sweet...how the fishes are swimming around your feet was so realistic.

So... overall it was an amazing poem. Loved it.

Keep writing such awesome stuff and we would love to keep reading and keep reviewing them!

Have a great day / night !

With love,
From Eros.
:D






Thanks for the sweet review @Eros! I really liked it. I'll let you no when I post another poem.



Eros says...


Yes pleeease!!





:D Could you let me know when you post something new?



Eros says...


Yeah I will!





YAY! Thank you!



User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 55

Donate
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:54 am
View Likes
mb1221 wrote a review...



Hi there,

Wow, I loved this poem! It is very brief, to the point, well-written, and understandable. As a general comment, I'd like to say that you made an excellent use of imagery in each stanza. One tiny word that caught my attention is the word "There" on line three of the fourth stanza. I am assuming you meant to say "Their" since you are referring to the scales of the fish that shine with the sunlight. (I'm sure you know the difference between "there" and "their". It is too easy to be caught off guard and make this careless spelling mistake, so don't worry too much) :)

Great job overall, keep writing!






Thanks for the review. I'll go fix the spelling mistake right away.



User avatar
293 Reviews


Points: 17344
Reviews: 293

Donate
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:23 pm
BrumalHunter wrote a review...



Salutations!

This is a pretty poem. It's simple, yet still conveys the general mood and imagery well enough. When I first began reading, I thought it was going to be a love poem, which seemed odd, given your description, but then it was shown not to be the case. I think I prefer that.


Titles are important, so I often spend some time addressing them. Here, your title is also used as a title drop for the last of the poem, which adds some weight to the conclusion. However, I'd recommend writing it in title case. Here, that would mean capitalising every word, since nouns, pronouns, and verbs are all capitalised in that format. I realise "Heaven" could simply be capitalised because it's a proper noun, but regardless of the reason, it would look more aesthetically appealing.

You've chosen not to use any commas in this poem. That's fine, but then I recommend shortening the sentences so that commas aren't necessary. Note, though, that I'd have made this recommendation even if you had used commas, since your lines have a tendency to be of medium to high length. For example, the first line could be made to look something like this:

The sapphire waves wash onto the shore

Note how the unnecessary "up" was removed, as well as "large"; the former is the equivalent of grammatical clutter, while the latter contributes nothing meaningful to your description. Furthermore, rather than "crystal blue", I recommend using an actual blue crystal to describe that water, as it both makes the poem more concise and enhances the imagery. Succinctness will lend a crisp and clear feeling to your poem.

Your descriptions are somewhat repetitive. For example, "water" and "salt" are used numerous times, and while those are unavoidable in a poem about the ocean, you could afford to be slightly more creative in the wording. Don't go overboard with synonyms, but consider using "saline" in the stanza about the ocean's saltiness ("saline scent" would be more appropriate than "sweet scent", to give you an idea), and try to cut out "water" as much as possible, since the context makes it unnecessary to specify certain details, such as into what the speaker is diving.

Finally, I feel like your poetry is lacking in emotion. The speaker is in love with the sea and feels at peace when at the shore, but why? You describe quaint moments, but none of these give an indication as to what the ocean specifically means to the speaker. Because you don't mention any of this, it's up to the reader to guess, but since the phrasing of the poem is too simple and slightly generic, the reader is left with a feeling of, "Oh, this is nice" and nothing more. Poetry ought to move people, else there's little point in reading it.


The ocean truly is a magnificant experience to the senses, so I understand perfectly why you chose it as the poem's subject. You tried to show diversity in its appeal, which is good. Work on your presentation of the text and the expression of emotion, and it'll be even better.

~ Hunter






Thanks for the review. :D I'll keep what you said in mind.



User avatar


Points: 200
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:22 pm
View Likes
Eliza says...



Nice piece of poetry






Thanks! :D





Thanks! :D




It takes as much imagination to create debt as to create income.
— Leandro Orr