The Lost Dragon 6.1

by soundofmind

Chapter Six Part 1: The Clandestine in the Room

Matt leaned back into the two pillows propping up his back with a long sigh. If he stayed still, the bandages all across his chest and his arms felt comforting, instead of a too-close reminder of the pain. His eyes were closed as he hovered somewhere between being in too much pain to want to be awake and being in too much pain to actually fall asleep, but he was determined to enjoy the moment of isolated stillness. He'd learned to appreciate the quiet moments, no matter how brief they were.

There was a knock on the door. His eyes shot open.

Apparently, it was going to be a very brief moment.

"Matt?" he heard Clandestine's voice ask through the door. "Can I come in?"

Matt looked to the door in confusion. Clandestine had a knife in her leg only an hour ago. She shouldn't be on her feet.

That, and he didn't really want her to come in and see the numerous scars still visible despite the extensive bandaging. He figured if he kept his back to the wall and stayed leaning on the pillows, he could hopefully avoid prying questions, but he wasn't sure if Clandestine would be as politely quiet about it as Kaleb had been.

But Matt wouldn't refuse her coming in. So he said "Sure," watching as the door was pushed open slowly first with Clandestine's shoulder, and then the leg of a pair of crutches. He could see her wounded leg dragging across the floor as she hobbled forward, with the pant leg rolled up above the bandages wrapped around the stab wound.

Clandestine looked up at him with a smile, but he could tell she was in pain just walking over.

"Mind if I, uh, sit on the end of the bed?" she asked.

"No, that's fine," Matt said with a small nod. As Clandestine eased herself onto the bed he could feel the shift in weight on the mattress. She leaned her crutches on the side of the bed and hissed through her teeth, though it was obvious she was trying to hide it. He watched her gaze as she looked up at him, scanning him and his injuries.

"We sure got lucky havin' people who were kind enough to patch us up after," she commented, laughing a pained little laugh. "I uh. I talked to 'em and uh, they said they're just happy the worms're gone so they can hopefully work on restoring the land and workin' it more again. And! Laura's uh, hah," she looked away, brushing a loose hair from her ponytail behind her ear. "She's insisted we stay here until we're mostly fully recovered. I figure though, of course, once we're well enough to walk around again, we can help out on the farm how we can and stuff! To pay them back for their kindness!"

"That's very kind of them," Matt agreed. "Soon as it goes down from 'fire is scorching my skin' level pain to 'stinging itchy healing' pain, I'll make sure to do everything I can to make it up to them for opening up their home to us."

"And Laura's medical expertise. Don't forget that," Clandestine pointed at him with a smile.

Matt grinned. "Yes. Of course."

Clandestine looked away again, her smile slowly fading. She brushed a (now non-existent) hair behind her ear again. Matt was already used to her sort of anxious excitement as a part of her charm, but this seemed a different breed of anxiety he was reading off her. It only took him a second of thought to realize what it was about. There was a prolonged silence as both of them seemed to be searching for words, and just as Clandestine started to hesitantly open her mouth, Matt cleared his throat.

"So I just want you to know," he started, keeping his voice low, just above a whisper. "I ... I don't care that you have magic, and whether you use it or not. I'd never take it to the authorities. You're secret's safe with me. I'd never throw you to the wolves like that."

"Oh - uh!" Clandestine's eyes widened and her face fell into a momentary look of horror before she seemed to realize what he was saying. Her eyes flickered over to him nervously, only to look away again. She forced herself to stop fidgeting with her hands and held them together in her lap, staring at them.

"Th-thanks, that's, uh, yeah. I was going to ask about that, 'cause! Well, I mean, you know. I just - I couldn't with them around and all. Y-yeah," she said quickly, words almost running together.

Matt tilted his head to the side, trying to send her a smile or something else to indicate that he meant her no harm, or just something to relieve her of her anxiety. He knew any mage had every reason to be worried. Mage hunters aggressively policed the use of magic, and anyone who got put on their watch list was never seen again. But Clandestine kept her gaze fixed on her lap.

"It's alright," he said. "No worries."

Another pause. He was trying to leave space for her, but she didn't take it. So he took it upon himself to clear the air and carry the conversation.

"How long have you known you've had it?"

Clandestine looked up at him in surprise. "My magic?"

Matt laughed a little but stopped. Laughing didn't feel great. "Yes, your magic."

"Oh!" Clandestine smiled in what looked like relief and joined in with her own brief (if awkward) laughter. "Uh, I mean, I've had it since I woke up."

Clandestine met his eyes with her smile until she saw his blank lack of a reaction. Matt blinked.

"Woke up?" Matt asked with some delay. "As in, like, when you were born, right?"

Clandestine stared at him, and her whole face flushed. "Uh," she started, before falling into a mess of stutters and sounds, blowing raspberries and making small gestures with her hands in the air as if physically trying to search for an explanation. She strained a sort-of smile with her eyebrows raised. "I guess I kiiiiiiiind of don't really know how I got it exactly?"

Matt raised his brows. "I uh, I really ain't sure what you mean by got it. Aren't people just born with it and then they discover it when they're young?"

Clandestine laughed another awkward laugh, smile waning as her eyebrows drew together. "Uh... yeah. Most normal people are. I mean, even though magic isn't, I guess, considered normal now. Or uh, legal. Still normal, I guess, in ways. Since people still have it and just don't use it or hide it or are killed because of it - uh. Well, I guess that's not uh-"

"Clandestine," Matt interrupted. "That's - that's common knowledge. It's okay. I'm just confused is all."

She laughed again. Talking about her magic must not have been normal for her. At all.

"Well, I guess it's kind of complicated. Or really complicated. It's mostly 'cuz of Silva-" she looked up at him, realizing she was going to have to do more explaining. He was pretty sure he looked as clueless as he felt.

"Silva was my mentor," Clandestine went on. "She taught me everything I know about monster hunting, apart from what I've learned through experience. She was strict, but she was the closest thing to family I ever had and..." she trailed off, rubbing one thumb over the other as she clasped her hands together again. She bit her lip as she stared down at the floor with a sad, wistful gaze. He couldn't tell if she was caught in the thought of a memory or if she was just afraid to go on.

"You don't have to share," he said quietly. "If you don't want to."

"I want to," she said, so quickly that he wasn't sure if he believed her, but he wasn't going to stop her. "Things were pretty normal at the guild, but then one day Silva took me aside. She was... worried or something. She... she drugged me and locked me up in a coffin. I fell asleep and woke up - haha!" she laughed, but this wasn't a laugh like the others. This one was bitter and sad. "I woke up with my coffin washing up on the bank of a river, and a man found me and was kind enough to nurse me back to health. It wasn't long before I found out I'd woken up 100 years later to a world with guns and... all these messed up laws about magic, and I found out I had my own magic, and just, everything was... confusing." She let out a frustrated huff, finally looking over at Matt again, searching his face for a reaction.

But that was the thing. He didn't have one. At least, not outwardly. Because dragons above... what in the world was she talking about? The guilds? They hadn't been around for 100 years after the first wave of mage hunts. Did that make her over 100 years old? How was she asleep for 100 years? What kind of magic did Silva use to lock a little girl up as a human time capsule, and in the gods' names, why? Matt stared at her, for the first time in a long time, completely devoid of any act or any mask. He really didn't know what to say. Two opposing sides of him contested with one another; the cynic, and the believer, both making it impossible for him to reconcile what he'd just heard. Any rational human being would tell her she was crazy. But most rational human beings would turn her in as well.

Clandestine grew visibly nervous again in the silence and picked slightly at the bandage on her leg.

"That probably makes me sound crazy, doesn't it?" she asked in a whisper, voice devoid of her usual lively spark.

Matt's heart was tugged. He closed his eyes, and he sighed.

"A little, maybe," he said honestly. As he opened his eyes again he saw her shrink into herself - like a withering flower.

"But I believe you."

Her head slowly lifted up.

"Even though I don't fully understand."

Clandestine met his eyes with her big green ones, an innocent hope shining behind them. "Really?" she asked.

Matt snuffed in amusement, smiling. If Clandestine was lying, she was either the best or the worst liar in the world to come up with such a bizarre story. He knew what lying looked like. She was completely genuine.

"Really."

And it is the final review for the day.

First Impression: WOW!!!!! Now that's what I call a backstory. This is going to be AMAZING to explore further. I have predicted a lot of wacky twists but I can tell you that I never saw that coming. Just WOW!!

Anyway getting right to it,

He'd learned to appreciate the quiet moments, no matter how brief they were.

Interesting. Interesting.

True. Why was she allowed to walk around?

Well that's a nice addition right there.

Clandestine looked away again, her smile slowly fading. She brushed a (now non-existent) hair behind her ear again. Matt was already used to her sort of anxious excitement as a part of her charm, but this seemed a different breed of anxiety he was reading off her. It only took him a second of thought to realize what it was about. There was a prolonged silence as both of them seemed to be searching for words, and just as Clandestine started to hesitantly open her mouth, Matt cleared his throat.

Nice touch with Matt noticing that. Its only been two or three days since they met but Matt picking up on this shows their developing friendship well. I love the way you pay attention to details like that. You don't mention things like this in big attention grabbing ways but show them in the little details that ultimately come together to form an amazing picture.

Doesn't seem like anyone would mistake waking up for getting born so that's a little off right there.

I love that subtle exposition right there.

*falls of chair in excitement*

"But I believe you."

Her head slowly lifted up.

"Even though I don't fully understand."

"Really."

This is a lovely moment. I sense the beginning of a possible true friendship. I can smell it.

And that shall be it for the day.

Overall: Well the plot didn't exactly go forward here. Builds possible tension if the goblins/worms went away only to come back with reinforcements. But some amazing character development here.

Really looking forward to reading more of this tomorrow.

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 pm
Magebird wrote a review...

Hey, sound! <3 I've been meaning to review this chapter and the next one for awhile, but I kept putting it off. Hopefully, I'll be able to knock out both reviews tonight. If not, expect to see the second in the near future!

Small Comments

His eyes were closed as he hovered somewhere between being in too much pain to want to be awake and being in too much pain to actually fall asleep, but he was determined to enjoy the moment of isolated stillness.

Can I hug him? Please? Something tells me this happens to Matt a lot, and I don't like seeing my idiot son suffering.

But Matt wouldn't refuse her coming in.

I just love seeing his inner conflict as extrovert!Matt and introvert!actual him clash! The best part about this scene is that he theoretically could come up with some nice lies for the scars, but instead he's worrying about having to talk - he's totally revealing himself as an introvert to the readers, if they hadn't already figured that out.

Matt was already used to her sort of anxious excitement as a part of her charm, but this seemed a different breed of anxiety he was reading off her.

Oh, so she's charming now, Matt? I see someone has a crush already. ;)

I knew he was going to say something like this, but it still makes my heart melt when I read Matt being so comforting. <3

I see Matt's trying to keep up the whole cowboy thing with that "ain't" he threw in there. :P

Local introvert fends off local extrovert by cutting off her rambles.

She bit her lip as she stared down at the floor with a sad, wistful gaze. He couldn't tell if she was caught in the thought of a memory or if she was just afraid to go on.

I'm going to take a step back from my memeing and talk about just how much I love this one little moment. Matt's strength ultimately lies in how he can connect to people. I can joke about how antisocial he is all I want, but he's good at helping people get through hard stuff. It's incredibly touching to see him understand that this is hard for Clanny to talk about, and see him say that she doesn't have to push herself. He knows her boundaries, and he respects. It's a really small thing, but it's something that's just so him.

Aw. <3 It definitely seems like Matt's feeling guilty about having to lie, especially when Clanny's being so truthful about something so abnormal.

Overall Comments

I don't have any critiques for this chapter - I just really love how it turned out! Matt and Clanny had a sweet moment that both adds more fuel to my shipping fire while simultaneously giving them healthy connections in their life, since both of them could definitely use that love. <3 Matt was a sweetheart to Clanny, and I'm very happy that she felt comfortable enough around him to talk more about her past.

I can't wait to read the next installment!

Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:45 am
Omnom wrote a review...

Okay, I think this is my last review for the night :D

James, I have totally been there with the pain scale of “don’t want to be awake” and “can’t go to sleep”. This is similar to the pain of “hurts to stay still” and “hurts to move”. Also, someone who has learned to appreciate stillness seems to me that they’ve been in a lot of situations where their only silence isn’t good silence, liiike being in a jail cell. (Is that an Outlands reference??)

watching as the door was pushed open slowly first with Clandestine's shoulder, and then the leg of a pair of crutches.

So I’m not sure what you were trying to say here, but “then the leg of a pair of crutches” sounds weird and I’m not understanding it. Perhaps I should understand it, perhaps I’m just dumb lol but I’m just not getting it!

So I love that James even changed his inner thoughts to Matt. Perhaps this is because he’s in too much pain to do it naturally, and it works. Immediately noticeable and effective! But, why can’t there just be no secrets anymore! Clandestine showed her magic, show your scars! I just want everyone to know everything about everyone and everyone just be happy. Is that TOO MUCH TO ASK?

YES MATT BE A NICE PERSON! I want everyone to be happy, so you should be too! This just warms my heart, but I just don’t even know at this point if James believes this at all. Maybe he’s going to rat her out completely if he gets caught. Gasp oh no don’t do that.

Wait, so Clandestine lost some of her memories? Oooh interesting, interesting indeed. See, this is the kind of stuff I want to see from Clandestine. We’ve seen a lot with James about the “oooooh mysterious background” and stuff but all we’ve really seen from Clandestine is ADD, humor, and faked papers. Now we’re starting to get somewhere. OMG I’m still reading this and so she didn’t lose her memories but she was asleep for a hundred years? That’s so interesting!

Awww, this chapter was actually really heartwarming. We got a lot of backstory for Clandestine (in true, rambling Clandestine way) and James actually showed a nicer, softer side to Matt. I don’t think this will be permanent, because maybe he’s just doing this because he’s injured. Good lord, James/Matt you confuse me!

So, that’s one of the issues solved from the action scene. Matt won’t rat Clandestine out. However, we still have two more: Matt’s intense rage that happened in the cave (maybe that’s a non-issue, though) and Matt’s scars. I sincerely hope Clandestine saw them or at least Kaleb will confront him. If you’ve ever played the Walking Dead video game (probably not) there’s a scene early on at a farm where the farm owner confronts the MC about taking care of a child with his criminal past. This all happens right before a conflict, so I hope something similar to that happens here! Can’t wait to read more tomorrow! Hopefully I can actually catch up to current time xD

soundofmind says...

Also, someone who has learned to appreciate stillness seems to me that they%u2019ve been in a lot of situations where their only silence isn%u2019t good silence, liiike being in a jail cell. (Is that an Outlands reference??)

This isn't a specific Outlands reference, but it's more of just a callback(??not the word I wanna use but it is close to my bedtime) to his past being restless and well, you know he's and outlaw cuz outlands so I mean, those bounty hunters weren't the first to catch him. He's been in a bind many times.

So I%u2019m not sure what you were trying to say here, but %u201Cthen the leg of a pair of crutches%u201D sounds weird and I%u2019m not understanding it.

I HONESTLY JUST MEANT LIKE, one of the uhhh sticks of the crutch... just one... crutch(?) pokes in the door. BUT I SEE NOW HOW THE WORDING IS WEIRD LOL.

But, why can%u2019t there just be no secrets anymore! Clandestine showed her magic, show your scars! I just want everyone to know everything about everyone and everyone just be happy. Is that TOO MUCH TO ASK?

Me, staring at James with laser-beam eyes in the back of his skull: yeah, James, why can't it be easy?
James: *stares back with eyes that pierce my soul* WHY DID U MAKE ME THIS WAY THEN, HUH?
ME: ..............touche

ALSO YAY I'M GLAD U LIKE CLANNY BACKSTORY!! And I'm glad u like soft!Matt. He's confusing... especially when he's u know, suppressing parts of himself. If he's being contradictory that's probably why.

Also okay. So. ABOUT THE SCARS. HONESTLY... I think in the second draft, Clandestine might bring them up (in a later chapter) MAYBE. Or at least, notice them? I've given him one more scar (yay) since this chapter actually that's far more significant and harder to explain away - not that he's trying to anyway.

So yeah. I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing with the whole sCARS thing but I don't want to make it a "let me tell u all my scar stories" thing. Idk. We'll see.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:37 am

Hi Shikora here with a review.

What I like

As I read through this story i can just see the way your writing has gotten better. I can tell this story has been well thought out and has a very good plot to it. I really like that your chapters aren't short other wise it just gives it a rushed feeling, so great work.

The Characters

As I read further into your story I can see as you develop your characters, and how us the reader get attached to them even more. It is just very well setup. If one of your characters died i would just be hears broken so well done.

The plot

Wow this plot is very interesting right from the start you have kept me guessing. What is really good as well is that you aren't staying in one place or your not moving to quickly so that is really good.

The setting

You've built up a really good setting in this chapter. I no what is going on and what the area looks like. It's a common mistake to make in your story when your busy with your characters talking or fighting and you forget to add in the surroundings, but you, you've nailed that bit so well.

Over all comments

Well I have to say that I'm looking forward to reading the next chapter that's for sure. I'm forming a really good connecting to the characters in this book witch is really important. I have to say that you are one skilled writer and I can't way to find out what will happen next. So keep writing and never stop. I hope you have a great day/night.

Happy Review day.

Your friend
Shikora. :D

soundofmind says...

Hey Shikora!! Thanks so much for the review! I'm glad you liked it and I hope you enjoy future chapters! If you ever wanna be tagged (even if you're just reading, not reviewing) when I write new ones weekly I can include you in the tag when I post it!

Oh yes please I would love to be tagged!

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:03 am
mellifera wrote a review...

hey sound!! I'm back again :D

instead of a too-close reminder of the pain. His eyes were closed as he hovered somewhere between being in too much pain to want to be awake and being in too much pain to actually fall asleep,

So,, you kinda repeat "pain" an awful lot here? You don't necessarily Need to fix it but? I would definitely be mindful of it in the future.

also yay! more Matt!

Clandestine had a knife in her leg only an hour ago. She shouldn't be on her feet.

please Matt this is Clandestine do you really think she can sit still for so long

Also about Matt not wanting Clandestine to see his scars- is there no blankets he can pull up or would that be too uncomfortable?

But Matt wouldn't refuse her coming in.

!!!

laughing a pained little laugh

So? For this and things like it? I think something more like "she commented, and laughed. A small, pained noise." instead of repeating laugh/ing like that? But uhh, yeah that's also pretty minor so do with this as you will.

I am curious to see how their recovery segment will play out! I'm not sure how you're going to tailor that? Of course, I like that we've simmered down from the action and stuff, but I also would like to see more relatively soon? I mean, I don't want to see them hurting themselves by hurling themselves into the throng of trouble, and I want their recovery time to be realistic, but I also don't want them to grow to...comfortable?? I guess? I don't know, I suppose I'll have to leave that up to you! But I'm still excited for what's to come!

yay! he's okay with her magic! however, is there more of a matt trait, I wonder? Or, y'know. coughjamescough.

Clandestine finally looked up at him in surprise. "My magic?"

no your hands.
(also, finally? that makes it sound like it took her a while to look up at him AFTER he asked this?)

more yay! matt's making attempts to talk to her!! I love this!!

SYLVIA was this, by chance, her mentor she has thought about before? I have a feeling it's not the cowboy/cowgirl/cowperson she was relating Matt to in her mind is but? Who am I to say?

WHOA HOLY HECK Clandestine's past????? That was definitely NOT what I was expecting and just,, wow. but also!! that's crazy and I love that twist?? But also also poor Clandestine she deserves all the hugs and love <33

Clandestine grew visibly nervous again in the silence

I know you continued this with an action displaying her nervousness but I still think I would have rather had this part be a showing vs. telling part too? Like, show me her displaying her nervousness, don't just spoon feed me it.

He knew what lying looked like.

you mean you

Okay wow! that escalated very quickly?? But I really liked it! That was pretty crazy but I'm super excited that we're digging into the character's backstories now too. BOY I'm really hyped for Matt's james' history and revelation and too see how Clandestine's plays into things? Regardless, it really gives me more of a connection to her now? Like, I can really enjoy her character now and grow more attached to her. I don't know, having in-depth personalities is one thing and it's awesome and stuff, but this really drove her character home for me. I'm ready to love her more now!! haha.

And of course, you mentioned in your thread that there were? other characters? I'm really excited to meet them if that's the case and I'm not making stuff up lol.

I think that's all I have for you today!! AHH yay okay but yes, I loved this chapter as I think you can tell rip sorry I feel like I was gushing a lot. And I'm excited to see more! If you have any questions, you know you can always ask me <3

I hope you're having a fantastic time and you know I'll be around ;)

soundofmind says...

SCRIBS!!!! <3 THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEW!!!

Okay so uh,,, I TYPEd UP MY REPLY BUT I LOST IT bY REFRESHING THE PAGE LKE THE DUMMY I AM so if this seems less enthusiastic than my usual all caps and more brief know it is only because I am mourning the loss of the time it took me to write my previous reply lol

So,, you kinda repeat "pain" an awful lot here?

LOL I vaguely remember thinking that too as I was writing it but was lazy and moved on. SO THANK U FOR POINTING IT OUT NOW I WILL REMEMBER TO FIX

THERE ARE BLANKETS but he's like, on a bed. That's made. I imagine he's sitting on top of them I just.... forgot to mention that. So it'd be kind of more work than it's worth and also really obvious if he got up and jumped into bed to hide. Also it would take too much...... energy lol. HE JUST GOT COMFORTABLE,,, he is tired. Would Clandestine do that? Maybe. But Matt.... eh.

I am curious to see how their recovery segment will play out! I'm not sure how you're going to tailor that? Of course, I like that we've simmered down from the action and stuff, but I also would like to see more relatively soon? [...] I want their recovery time to be realistic, but I also don't want them to grow to...comfortable?? I guess?

I FEEL U. And though my only real response to this is uhh WAIT AND SEE LOL I hope you feel like it works out.

BUT YEAH OMG HECK I'm glad you like Clandestine's past !!! And that it makes you like her more!! I WAS SO SCARed ,,, ashdkjshlk so that's so nice to hear haaaa!

And of course, you mentioned in your thread that there were? other characters?

YES!! THERE ARE!! THEY COME UH,,, LATEr. L a ter. Some of them a while later. BUt you wILL MEET tHeM I aSsURE YOU

Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
— Thomas Neill