z

Young Writers Society


12+

Bitter Oracle - Chapter 14 - Michael's Grief

by papillote


Bitter, an Oracle, has just found out what happened to Mike Murphy's brother, at his insistance (find out what it is in Chapter 13). Now, she's got to tell him and to decide what to do with the information.

I skipped work the following day. Mike seemed surprised when I rang at his door. I suppose he had good reasons. We had exchanged numbers, of course, but he hadn’t given me his address. Finding people, however, was my specialty. Even before my first Trance, I seemed to remember using a sixth sense to track down my loved ones. That ability had dramatically expanded ever since.

“Hi,” I said. “Can I come in?”

Grief dulled his eyes. In five words, I had ceased shielding him from the truth with my lies: “Can’t Scry right now, Mike, not until I’ve got my juice back.” Lies.

Mike just stepped aside, inviting me inside. His apartment was just the one room and a cupboard-like bathroom. “T-Tea?” he offered.

I nodded and sat at his big table. It was laden with piles of textbooks and notes. The wall behind it was papered with movie posters. ‘Casino Royal’, ‘Star Wars’ – God, I love that red on white play in the last posters…‘Bold Man’, ‘Sibyl Thirdeye, Private Eye, the movie’ – uh!

“You like cinema.”

“Y-Yeah, loves it. Cinema m-major.”

We both fell quiet. I watched him fill a cup with hot water.

“Black or green?” he asked.

“Black. Please.”

He started taking a teabag out of a box. His fingers were shaking too badly.

“He is dead,” he said, his diction crystal clear.

“Yeah.”

“I kn-knew it.” He finally managed to pick a teabag. “You’re being too polite.”

He handed me my cup. He was crying silent tears.

“I’m sorry, Mike.”

“I kn-ew it.” He shoved the cup at me when I wouldn’t take it and sat down on the bed. He took his head in his hands. “I kn-ew it.”

I told him everything as gently as I could. I sounded whiny, I thought, I sucked at compassion. I shouldn’t have come myself, I should have called Graves. Or I could have brought Colleen.

Colleen understood people, she would know what to do. Shit. What would she do? Hug him? Rub his back? Probably. I didn’t have that in me. I dug a small pack of tissues out of my pocket and threw it on the bed next to Mike, then I went to stand at the window, still cradling the cup of tea in my hands and adverting my eyes. The small courtyard underneath his apartment was filled with garbage – it still beat the sight of Mike’s teary face.

“Di-i-i-i-di-d you tell the-e police?”

I turned around, snorting in disgust. “Meh. What for?”

“Wh-h-h-”

The aborted word seemed to soak in his indignation and to swell in his throat. He started reddening. I decided to rescue him for his ire before he choked on it, “Do you know what the Open Eye does?”

The abrupt change of subject threw him off. “Th-They Scry for people in n-need.”

“Yeah, sure. They also stalk people, break into their houses, their businesses, especially in criminal cases.” He gaped at me. “Visions ain’t worth shit in a Court of Law. Ever heard of two Supreme Court cases called Reno v. United States and Flynn v. Flynn?”

Flynn-n-n…?” he started asking, quick on the uptake.

“No relationship,” I lied, chuckling. “It’s a 20** case, I was, what, fifteen at the time? Flynn v. Flynn is the Supreme Court telling us that Oracles can’t testify in court to something they’ve seen in a Vision.”

He closed his mouth and looked away from my face. Yeah, Magic Mike was catching on.

“As for Reno v. US…Reno was a detective with the NYPD. He worked closely with the Open Eye. Too closely, as it happened. Evidence got chucked out because he had knowledge of the Visions, not just of the evidence the Open Eye presented him with. Now, the rule is something called “the Black Box”. The police can only use the evidence if they’ve got no knowledge of the process by which the Open Eye obtained it. Any leak, any peek, and it’s fruit of the poisoned tree.”

“So, what? I’m-m supposed to just…know?!”

“No, Mickey-Boy, that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying we’re our own little Open Eye, right now.”

His eyes lit up. “We can-t tell the police.”

“No, we can’t.”

He fell quiet, his face went dark, tense, as he considered that. His tears had left wet tear tracks. The rivulets of salty water seemed to have dug long crevices, changing the landscape of his face.

“He scratched him,” he whispered to himself. “Where is it? K-Kyle’s b-body.”

“I don’t know.”

“S-Scry it!”

“Can’t.” Won’t. I liked Mike, but I wouldn’t hasten my death by Trancing all over the place. “I won’t Trance again for…”

He tilted his head to the side in a silent, “For?

“Fifty-five to seventy-two hours.” Hell, I was down to a two-digits countdown. The severity of my condition slapped me in the face anew, but I ignored it. “Do you know where this Arthur Menn lives?”

“No-” He faltered, closed his mouth, went on, “I-I can Google him.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:20 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi papillote,

Mailice back with another review! :D

That was a very emotional chapter. It really was a rollercoaster of emotions. For being mostly contemptuous of Mike for his weakness, I felt sympathy just seeing his flat. I think he knew from the beginning that Kyle was dead and just wanted to hear confirmation.

You managed to bring out more emotions in me with this chapter than the previous ones. It was a cold meeting and I liked how Bitter at least tried to be a little kinder and speak with some compassion. You portrayed him wonderfully over the course of the story and in this chapter. I can really imagine that this is his reaction to the news. It also shows to me again this infantile nature of his that he himself asks that he is dead and Bitter confirms it.

I liked the detail with the movie posters and how she tried to distract herself with them but also to prepare Mike a bit more gently for the news. But then I would have expected her to notice some of the other things that are in that little flat. Since flats are more or less people's refuge and represent their personality, I would have been very happy to learn more about what else is in Mike's flat. What I missed a bit was that you didn't really go into how Bitter found Mike's address. You did hint at it, but there I would have been very interested to know more about how she does that.

In terms of atmosphere, I found it to be a very cold and grey chapter. It was just the right pace and liked the focus on the two characters. It's like you get a bad news and everything around you goes silent or you disappear like in a fishbowl and you can't get out. You did a really good job of making me feel that way!

It was a wonderful chapter. I've really enjoyed the story so far. You have an excellent knack for leading the story. From the descriptions you give to the different characters, I felt like I was watching a series that only I like and out of a thousand series, it's the only one I want to come back to because I like it so much. I think you did a lot of things well and the structure of the story gave it tension and sometimes a little bit where I think you could expand on that, but on the whole it was a pleasure to read.

And yet I'm convinced that the story is far from over, it's just beginning. There are still some unanswered questions that have been there from the beginning, and also some characters that need to be explored more in depth to make a crowning conclusion. I hope and I wish that if you have the time, you will continue writing at some point and bring the story to its true end. And if that's the case, please tag me. :D Because this is one of my favourites here on YWS and it's been a long time since I read something like Bitter Oracle.


Have fun writing!

Mailice




User avatar
276 Reviews


Points: 16802
Reviews: 276

Donate
Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:48 am
View Likes
rosette wrote a review...



Hi, papillote! Hope you don't mind that I'm back for more. :D

Gosh, this was a sad chapter. </3 Poor Mike! I just want to jump into the story and hug him. I thought you did an amazing job of showing his reaction to the news. The crystal clear diction and the silent tears, and even how he sat and put his head in his hands. That all worked together wonderfully. Honestly, I'm beginning to love his character more and more, so I felt an awful lot of empathy here. But hey, that's a good thing.

I liked how short and straightforward this chapter was. You got straight to the point and progressed the story forward, which is something, I've noticed, you're pretty good at. Just a few things caught my eye that I wanted to point out. :]

His apartment was just the one room and a cupboard-like bathroom.

I mentioned it in my last review and the reviewer below me pointed it out, as well, so I won't make a huge issue out of this, but... description. We need more of it. Something that's memorable and tasty and will give the reader a good picture of the setting and... well, you get the point. :p

The wall behind it was papered with movie posters. ‘Casino Royal’, ‘Star Wars’ – God, I love that red on white play in the last posters…‘Bold Man’, ‘Sibyl Thirdeye, Private Eye, the movie’ – uh!

This phrase seemed a bit out of the ordinary, considering where she's at and what she's about to do. She came here to tell Mike that his brother is dead and the mood feels a bit sober, but then this? She admires his posters and I'm assuming what I italicized are her thoughts? (The grammar and punctuation is a bit wacky here).
The voice just doesn't fit right in this scene. I love how sarcastic and witty this chick is, but at a somber time like this, it feels out of place.

I told him everything as gently as I could. I sounded whiny, I thought, I sucked at compassion. I shouldn’t have come myself, I should have called Graves. Or I could have brought Colleen.

Now, since you just told us what happened to Kyle in the previous chapter, I don't think it's necessary for you to re-tell it all over again. I sorta like how you summed everything up by saying "I told him everything..." but at the same time, I don't. You left out a few details, like Mike's reactions as she's speaking. Does he interrupt her at any point? Cry some more? I'm also wondering how she sounds whiny. Like. Why does she think that? I kind of want to hear/read what she said just so we can see an example of how she well, sucks at compassion and sounds whiny. I don't want a re-telling of what she saw in the Trance, but I want to experience her telling the news to Mike. If that makes sense. :0

Okay. So. I mentioned description earlier, but that was only as far as setting and location are concerned. I realized, as I was reading this, that there isn't much physical description, either. I don't know what Bitter or Mike look like. Of course, this may be because I jumped in at chapter 14 :P but little hints at appearance are good to have throughout the whole story. Like, it's not just eyes but dark eyes; not simply eyebrows but bushy eyebrows. Maybe a pudgy face. I don't know what Bitter's wearing. Maybe she tucks her hands into her overalls. These kind of little hints are good to have in a story, and I'd like to see them in yours!

And that is all I have to say!
I hope you have a great day, and thanks for sharing this lovely story. :)

~rosette <3

Image




papillote says...


Thanks for another review. Yes, I suck at descriptions, I tend to focus on what people do and not on where they do it or on what they look like. I think it's more an issue of the way I look at the world translating too well than strictly of how I write, so it really helps when people point out they need a little resituating/painting the picture. Please, keep reviewing, it's always a good surprise.



rosette says...


<3



User avatar
616 Reviews


Points: 122617
Reviews: 616

Donate
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:25 am
View Likes
FlamingPhoenix wrote a review...



Hi @Shikora here with a review.

First off I loved reading this chapter. It was very interesting. I can tell it had a lot of emotion in it, and I really liked that. It also told me the connection between the characters.

Now down to the review. There is still a few things that can be added into this.

Like in between these two paragraphs i think you could add bit more.

1) Mike just stepped aside, inviting me inside. His apartment was just the one room and a cupboard-like bathroom. “T-Tea?” he offered.

I nodded and sat at his big table. It was laden with piles of textbooks and notes. The wall behind it was papered with movie posters. ‘Casino Royal’, ‘Star Wars’ – God, I love that red on white play in the last posters…‘Bold Man’, ‘Sibyl Thirdeye, Private Eye, the movie’ – uh!

Like Mike's apartment. What does it smell like in there, and i can kind of get an image of what it looks like but it's no really clear to me. Is it a mess or is it neat? Thats just a small thing i picked up.

Also when Mike is making the tea, he has to heat up the water right? So shouldn't the water be making a noise as it boils. Also describe him as he works in the kitchen. And at this part you could describe what the kitchen looks like. There are just small things like this that the writer normally misses.

Hear are some tips to writing a story, when your writing you must always keep in mind these things. Smell, feel, sight, and sound. There are lot's of other things, but these are the main things to keep in mind. it will in prove your writing rapidly.

So that is all from me. I hope you liked the review. But if it came a cross as mean then i'm very sorry. I just want to help.

I hope you have a great day and keep writing.

@Shikora. And have a great review day!




papillote says...


Thanks for the review. I'll take your comments into account when I rewrite this part of the story. Have a good review day too.





Thanks. :D




You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts.
— LEGO Batman