z

Young Writers Society



The Secret of Tayburn Zoo: 2

by ExOmelas


A/N: I had to explain this to Blues because I forgot to make it explicit, so I'm saying it here so the next chapter isn't confusing. Nobody knows the animals can talk. In the things like the taste testings the crocodiles can point to things. They seem like smart animals, but nothing biologically unnatural is known by the public.

----

Satisfied that all the animal enclosures were locked, Patrick slipped round the side of the monkey cage towards his office. There was a narrow corridor between the cage and the higher outer wall, paved by wide planks of brightly polished wood. The wall was built out of the same wood, though for it the planks were spaced out with a slight gap between each. It wasn’t enough that you could see through, really, unless you stood with your eye socket pressed right up against one of the gaps. But it was enough to let in some light and fresh air, which was always nice for the animals.

The end of the corridor was exactly perpendicular to the back of the cage, but if you didn’t know where to look, you’d have no hope finding Patrick’s office. Patrick crouched down at the last plank. It was crammed into the space, but there was a tiny hole in the far side of it. With the pinky of his right hand, Patrick pried the plank off the ground, got his hand under it, and lifted it out of place.

Below was a slightly scratched pane of glass, which Patrick lifted upwards from the far side. If you’d been sat behind him, your jaw would have dropped open as you realised how big the pane was. As Patrick levered it open, with it came the next two planks before the tiniest glint of a hinge was finally revealed.

A moment later, Patrick had wriggled past the glass, which was always difficult, because it was almost the entire width of the corridor. He wasn't exactly a flexible young man these days. But finally he'd made it to the top rung of a shiny silver ladder. He twisted and smiled at the setting sun, basking for one last moment in its pink and orange glow. Then he began his descent.

After a few steps downwards he turned sideways and reached his hand out to a slightly straggly rope which hung down from the underside of the corridor. The muscles of his arm holding the ladder tensed tightly as he used his other to thread it through a small carabiner screwed into the wall. Then he scurried down the rest of the ladder, which was roughly the height of your average basketball player, then turned his attention back to the rope.

"You need a hand?" called Treego, a small poison-arrow frog.

"No thanks, buddy," Patrick called back, "I think I have it under control today."

There was some clicking as Patrick pulled downwards on the rope, the frog-designed pulley system doing its work. Gradually, and with automatic intervals every so often to stop momentum building up, the ropes pulled the glass pane back into place.

"I love watching that work." Treego grinned at Patrick as he turned around. He was perched on the edge of a plastic grey stool beside a grainy CCTV screen, which was currently showing a wide shot of the zoo. It was a small, dim surveillance room, and they were the only two in it. And if for some reason anyone were ever to stumble across this underground level, surveillance would hopefully be the only visible purpose.

"That why you volunteer to be on watch so much?" Patrick asked.

"Indeed." Treego nodded. His eyes flicked up to the glass and squinted at something. "Also because I like to make sure you don't make a fool of yourself."

Patrick whirled round. "What are you- Oh, no."

Patrick had forgotten to replace the first plank he'd removed, which had little grooves in the side of the glass it slid into. It was just one little plank. It would be so easy to just leave it until morning. But, as he’d had to remind himself every time in the past year that he’d made this mistake, which was more than he would have probably admitted, the smallest mistake could give the real nature of this zoo away. And then where would he be?

He hung his head. "I'll be back down in a moment."

Treego turned back to face the surveillance screen. "What would you do without me?"

***

There was a Mario Kart tournament in full swing in the main lounge, as there had been for the last ten nights in Tayburn zoo. The last month it had been Halo 3, and before that the only game the animals had owned had been a Tetris knock-off that had been hidden away in Patrick's old attic for over a decade. Patrick's grandkids didn't discard many games, but Mario Kart and Halo 3 had been played so intensely that just the sight of either now incurred only uncomfortable groans.

And so Patrick had brought them to a more excited audience, certain they wouldn't be missed.

"Clover, get the heck out of my way," Dexi the adolescent crocodile snapped, "If you don't let me past Chip's going to beat us both."

Dexi was lying on her front with her short, narrow arms stretched out in front of her, desperately bashing the arrow pad on the Wii remote. She was about to lap Clover, a particularly dextrous penguin, but Chip the capuchin was right up her tail... metaphorically.

This was the scene as Patrick strolled through the door. The animals were crowded around the television, which was mounted high up on the far right wall. There was a couch in the centre of the room, facing the television, which Patrick had positioned purposefully in order to separate the left of the room from the right. The left had a collection of small wooden tables and chairs that Patrick had picked up from a car boot sale, while the right had two couches and an armchair. A relaxed side, and an even more relaxed side, as Patrick liked to say.

The screams from the narrowly beaten Dexi sounded anything but relaxed.

Smiling a little, but turning his face away so Dexi wouldn’t see, Patrick went to the bookshelf in the far left corner of the room. He ran his fingers along bumps of broken spines, trying to decide which of the scruffy paperbacks to pick up until the animals had finished with their game. He'd read them all several times, of course, even before he'd dug them out of his attic and lugged them here in the boot of his car. Maybe a gritty Glaswegian murder mystery would suit his mood, after all he had a big announcement to deliver to the animals in a moment, and he probably ought to feel tense about it.

But as he started to pry a Val MacDiarmid volume out of its place, cramped between four others, he realised that actually, his stomach was remarkably settled. He took a seventies sci-fi novel instead and settled down on one of the chairs facing towards the television, though still plenty far away.

There was a great deal more shouting and a little booing, though Patrick was used to the squabbling. He didn't look up from his book until the noise finally died down, at which point he was met with the sight of a collection of mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians trudging towards him with shoulders - or equivalents - hunched. Except for the crocodile, Dexi, who from the sharp-toothed grin on her face must have clawed her way back to first place.

The capuchin monkey, Chip, sighed and flopped onto the chair across from Patrick. "Hi, Patrick. How are you?"

"Aw, buddy." Patrick smiled with one side of his mouth. "I'm good. And I'm sure you will be soon."

Chip nodded. "Oh, I will be. Or I would be, if I wasn't certain that Dexi was taking a victory lap around the backs of all the couches."

Patrick glanced over, and did indeed spot the victorious crocodile scuttling around and jumping from couch to armchair to couch. He looked back to Chip, who was peeling the veneer off the side of the table. He leaned in close to the hunched over monkey, who was small to begin with. "Well, what if I told you I had something to cheer you up. Or at least, something to distract Dexi from her victory."

Chip slowly looked up and beneath a deep frown locked eyes with Patrick. "That would be good."

Patrick grinned. "Alright then."

He pushed his chair out and shot to his feet, causing most heads in the room to jerk around to face him, and his back to twinge.

"Hello, everyone! How are we all today? Good? I'm glad. Well, my friends, I have some news." Patrick took a deep breath and tried not to focus on the gaze of any animal in particular. "You're probably wondering why I'm sitting here reading about Martians rather than heading straight for the lab. Maybe some of you have given up on me ever figuring out what gave you the ability to talk, but I'm sure you all figure I'm stubborn enough to never stop trying anyway. Well, I've taken this rare day off for a very special reason. Tonight, I am expecting a phone call."

Patrick's chest tensed and he simply stood there for a moment, fidgeting with the zip on the pocket of his fleece trousers.

"You okay, Patrick?" Chip asked.

Patrick shook himself from head to foot. "Sorry, yes. I'll be receiving a phone call from a zoo in Edinburgh. Apparently, we're getting a new arrival. A very large female panda.”

At this Dexi finally stopped running around. She sprang over to the tables and chairs side of the room and clattered against the side of the chair Chip was sitting in.

She stared up at Patrick. "Can she, you know... play Mario Kart?"

Patrick kept his face steady, fighting the urge to nervously chew on his bottom lip. He looked right into Dexi's dark eyes and said, "I would be very surprised if she could. Because, Dexi, I think I can tell what you’re getting at. And no, she's not like all of you. She's a totally normal panda. She doesn't even talk."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
4100 Reviews


Points: 253913
Reviews: 4100

Donate
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:13 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

And we continue on.with Chapter 2.

First Impression: Well that's interesting. A bit of a conflict introduced nice and early in the second chapter which is always great.

Anyway let's get right to it,

A moment later, Patrick had wriggled past the glass, which was always difficult, because it was almost the entire width of the corridor. He wasn't exactly a flexible young man these days. But finally he'd made it to the top rung of a shiny silver ladder. He twisted and smiled at the setting sun, basking for one last moment in its pink and orange glow. Then he began his descent.


Well some really great descriptions in this chapter and rhe few that came before it. Really paints a great chapter in one's head.

"You need a hand?" called Treego, a small poison-arrow frog.

"No thanks, buddy," Patrick called back, "I think I have it under control today."

There was some clicking as Patrick pulled downwards on the rope, the frog-designed pulley system doing its work. Gradually, and with automatic intervals every so often to stop momentum building up, the ropes pulled the glass pane back into place.


Okay so later you mention that somehow the animals were hit with something that granted them the ability to talk but this seems to have somehow augmented their intelligence too. I think that should probably get a mention too.

Patrick's grandkids didn't discard many games, but Mario Kart and Halo 3 had been played so intensely that just the sight of either now incurred only uncomfortable groans.
And so Patrick had brought them to a more excited audience, certain they wouldn't be missed.


Well that's interesting. Patrick is old enough to have grandkids.

Dexi was lying on her front with her short, narrow arms stretched out in front of her, desperately bashing the arrow pad on the Wii remote. She was about to lap Clover, a particularly dextrous penguin, but Chip the capuchin was right up her tail... metaphorically.
This was the scene as Patrick strolled through the door. The animals were crowded around the television, which was mounted high up on the far right wall. There was a couch in the centre of the room, facing the television, which Patrick had positioned purposefully in order to separate the left of the room from the right. The left had a collection of small wooden tables and chairs that Patrick had picked up from a car boot sale, while the right had two couches and an armchair. A relaxed side, and an even more relaxed side, as Patrick liked to say.


Lovely description once more. Really sets the scene for the whole place. Wonderful job there.

"Well, what if I told you I had something to cheer you up. Or at least, something to distract Dexi from her victory."


Well it is definitely the latter. I don't see how he can even think of it being cheerful. The panda sounds like it will present only problems to them..

Patrick kept his face steady, fighting the urge to nervously chew on his bottom lip. He looked right into Dexi's dark eyes and said, "I would be very surprised if she could. Because, Dexi, I think I can tell what you’re getting at. And no, she's not like all of you. She's a totally normal panda. She doesn't even talk."


[Insert appropriate ominous sounding music]

And that's it.

Overall: A pretty interesting chapter. Lovely feel of homeliness with those animals playing games and fighting good naturedly with them all getting along. Patrick is currently a bit one note with his personality not really getting any sort of chance to shine through but I assume that is to be rectified later.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
453 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 453

Donate
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:20 am
View Likes
Lib says...



Oh god, Treego... xD

Ayyy, they play video games!!! I love that idea!!

I wonder... is it Patrick who gave the animals the ability to speak only to him? Or is it that Patrick has given them the ability to speak but the animals have been trained not too speak in front of others? Or did the animals already have that ability and it has something to do with the zoo??? Questions, questions.

Ooh, a normal panda. Wonder what'll happen when she arrives. O.o




ExOmelas says...


Oh hey Lib, thanks so much for picking up my story :D These are indeed sensible things to be wondering right now... read on for answers :P



User avatar
114 Reviews


Points: 6228
Reviews: 114

Donate
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:55 pm
View Likes
Necromancer14 wrote a review...



This was really good! Like the last chapter, it was a nice, smooth read.

I like the idea of animals playing Mario Kart, boasting when they win.


"Treego turned back to face the surveillance screen. "What would you do without me?""

I love this part. I do find it a lot in literature, though. The phrase, "What would you do without me" pops up a lot in the books I read. However, those books published, so what can I say? Plus, It's a funny and smart piece of dialogue. I guess what I'm saying is; don't be too typical. You'll know you've gone to far if your book starts with "It was a dark and stormy night."

""I would be very surprised if she could. Because, Dexi, I think I can tell what you’re getting at. And no, she's not like all of you. She's a totally normal panda. She doesn't even talk.""

I love this ending! It's a super unique idea, turning the perfectly common, boring idea of a normal animal coming to the zoo on it's head.

This was a very good chapter 2, interesting enough to keep me reading, so good job!




ExOmelas says...


Thanks so much! It's lovely to hear that you're enjoying my story :)



User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 5566
Reviews: 33

Donate
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:36 am
Oxara wrote a review...



Hey there biscuits so here we go

comments-
Chip slowly looked up and beneath a deep frown locked eyes with Patrick. "That would be good." Patrick grinned."Alright then." -

some of this conversation feels slightly awkward as I kinda was pulled away form the story when I got to this bit and similar bits of dialogue. It wasn't massive and I was pulled right back in with things like fidgeting with the ziper and that but I thought it worth Mentioning.

This was the scene as Patrick strolled through the door. The animals were crowded around the television-

I have said it once and I will say it again. More imagery please because right now I am imagining a either really nice place like a modern home or like a old run down underground room that was made into a makeshift room.

Praises-
despite what I said the imagery was actually pretty good and the characterization just ahh man such good imagery.

Everything was just really solid so I had to resort to just my thoughts and feelings during the chapter.

P.S. for some reason I am not quoting I am sure I am doing something stupid but I am tired and still want to do 2 more reviews.

Really good job, Keep it up,

Ox




User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:10 pm
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

I'll forewarn you, I don't have much to say about this chapter. It's a pretty solid chapter and gives us some more background about the zoo. I like that you have the cliffhanger at the end where you reveal the thing that's going to change everything. I do believe that means we'll be getting into the good parts of the story very soon. Not that other parts are bad parts, but you know what I mean.

I like the way you kept the characters simple, but gave us a bigger number of them to meet. I feel like I met a lot of the and wasn't overwhelmed. You didn't dive into every backstory of every animal in that room and you didn't spend too much time on one instead of the other. That can get frustrating and overwhelming for us so I give you kudos for keeping it on the plain side. It was nice to see the animals outside of their cages, to get to know the part of them that's so special.

A thought just popped into my head. Do the people higher up, whoever they are, know that the animals can talk? Like the people transporting the panda. I'm sure there aren't many people around who would know because Patrick is so paranoid about leaking the secret, but it does have me wondering. I guess it's like in Night at the Museum where the only people who know that the exhibits come alive are the night guard and previous night guards. Still, there have to be other people who work in this zoo and the animals can only hide so much. I don't know why I'm writing this paragraph I'm just rambling at this point...

Maybe a gritty Glaswegian murder mystery would suit his mood, after all he had a big announcement to deliver to the animals in a moment, and he probably ought to feel tense about it.

This should be two sentences or use a semi colon after "mood." The part I underlined is a complete sentence. The comma after wards makes this a run-on sentence.

I'm just wondering, why does Patrick lock the cages if the animals are just going to get out? I mean, not all of them are out there playing Mario Kart, but quite a few are. Does he just lock the cages of the ones that stay inside? That's something I'd like to see more detail about.

That's it. I'm sorry I couldn't go much more into it, but there isn't a lot in this chapter that really needs revision. It's a great chapter and I enjoyed seeing all the animals being their selves.

I'll get to the other chapters soon, hopefully. Being an adult sucks xD

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




ExOmelas says...


Thanks for the review, and happy first day of RevMo! :D

The lock thing: yeah, you're not the first to ask about that. I think I was on autopilot when I wrote that, because that's what you'd do if you were locking up a zoo.

The higher-up stuff gets revealed gradually. There's some origin explanation in the next chapter, in the one after that a display of the other workers in the zoo as well as some of Patrick's own background.

I'm starting to suspect that the pacing is a bit slow, or I made the introduction of the panda seem to soon, because I wasn't planning on bringing her in until what turned out to be chapter 7. There's some tension and some quite dramatic revelations on the way, but if it makes it seem less dragging I've suggested to the others to think of chapters 5 and 6 in a vacuum and I'll sort out their positioning and pacing in the next draft.

Thanks again for the review :)



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:33 am
Shady wrote a review...



Heyo Bisc,

Shady back again to see what in the world these animals are going to be up to in this chapter ;) Let's get started!

Satisfied that all the animal enclosures were locked,


Why is he locking them in if they're freaky smart? Are they naughty little critters? Mmmm...

If you’d been sat behind him, your jaw would have dropped open as you realised how big the pane was.


Not loving this sentence. As you know, the goal of good narrative voice to make the reader forget they're reading at all -- instead they're simply immersed in the story. And so far you've done an excellent job. I was getting really into watching Patrick try to get to his office. And then this sentence, and the use of "you" and "your" really jerked me out of that narrative haze and made me snap back to "oh yeah I'm just reading a story"

I think the sentiment is good, the pane is jaw-dropping-ly huge, but try to find a way to phrase it that doesn't include the word "you" maybe? That way your readers can stay immersed in the story. Does that make sense?

But finally he'd made it to the top rung of a shiny silver ladder.


Wait, where did the ladder come from? I might just be in my sleep-grog, but I have no memory of a ladder being mentioned. Maybe have him look at it before he climbs it or something so it's not as shocking?

Then he began his descent.


Ohhh, I see. The ladder leads down to something, not up to something. Hmm. I guess that makes sense, but maybe make that a bit clearer that that's what's going on? Or not. It's not really a huge deal, but it did cause momentary confusion to me, so in theory it might other readers, so making it clearer isn't a horrible idea.

which was roughly the height of your average basketball player,


Hahahaha! Gold.

He hung his head. "I'll be back down in a moment."


Relatable.

There was a Mario Kart tournament in full swing in the main lounge, as there had been for the last ten nights in Tayburn zoo.


What do you mean by main lounge? Is this bit a separate, hidden part from the main zoo? I'm not completely clear on the setting here. Obviously if this is hidden away you're good, but I can't think of any areas I'd describe as a "lounge" at the zoo's I've visited -- and certainly not ones equipped with game consoles ;) So I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing what you mean.

I also find it deliciously ironic that the animals lure kids away from video games, only to turn right around and be video game addicts themselves lol.
~ ~ ~

Oh my gosh, your story is so adorable. I love them all and I love the specific animals you're pulling into your story (and I also love how British it is with your car boots and all that haha). A few overall thoughts that I had:

1) I would really like to know how old Patrick is. At first I envisioned him to be a moderately young-ish man, maybe about 30 or so. Then you mention that he's not a young man, so I started thinking 50s. And then he had back pain when he stood, and I'm really not sure if that's congruent with 50s or not. And all this wondering about his age has made me realize that I know precious little about how this man looks. Eye color, skin color, stature -- nothing. I'm learning his personality, which is great, but I think a physical descriptor would benefit your story.

2) The bit about getting a new panda is absolutely freaking adorable and I love the questioning about whether or not she can play Mario Kart. Like is she gonna be like us, Daddy? sort of thing. So cute <3 However, it almost felt a bit rushed?

Like we have no foreshadowing about it at all. We don't see his nervousness, or thoughts about wondering what the other animals would think about it. We hear nothing about his lab or this phone call before his speech. And it all felt a bit sudden.

Overall, though, this was another really solid chapter. We got a bit more insight into the every day interactions of these cuties, and so far I really love Dexi and Patrick and all of them so much. Great job building likable characters that I feel invested in from the get-go!

I think that's all I have for this chapter. As always if you have any questions or want any more novel talk, I'm down for it!

Keep writing!

~Shady 8)




User avatar
396 Reviews


Points: 27
Reviews: 396

Donate
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:11 pm
View Likes
Pompadour wrote a review...



I'm late, but hello again!

So I read this as soon as I finished the first part, but I'll be re-reading as I review. I won't be scouring out any nitpicks this time, so hopefully I can actually talk about broader aspects of this novel.

Initially, I had Patrick pegged to be a middle-aged man, somewhere in his forties--maybe nearing fifty?--so I'm sort of surprised he's a grandfather, though I suppose it's not very surprising if you assume he married early or something. Uh, not sure how relevant this is to the main story, but it's a sideline thought that occurred to me; perhaps some indicators to make his age more obvious? The narrator glides over how he isn't as young as he used to be + how his muscles tense as he grips the ladder, but some more details peppered into the mix wouldn't hurt. Even if Patrick is a particularly active, healthy old man, a brief mention of the former might serve some importance.

That being said, the overall voice in this chapter is much stronger than the last one, and I'm quite enjoying it! You weave present action with past action very well; the transitions are lovely, as is the general flow. This chapter reeled me in very easily! I also liked how each of the animals poses a personality, particularly Treego, who made me laugh. I'm curious to see how the characters develop--they're still rather two-dimensional, but considering the fact that they're ... animals ... that talk ... and have human traits, I think it's great how well-established the basics are already.

I love Dexi. XD

Moving on. Your build-up throughout the chapter is great! but. The ending did feel a bit flat, because it broke the urgency you'd built up so far, and because it doesn't really contribute much to the dramatic tension for me. I like how you use humour to weigh in on the tension--that's fantastic--but the dramatic payoff in this case just isn't working for me.

I think this is because it takes a while to sink in--the reader's initially like, but wait, the animals didn't used to talk before either, right? Patrick mentioned he was doing research on them? (Also, does Patrick possess the skills for this kind of research?*) It makes sense that an animal from the outside wouldn't be able to talk, so I initially didn't get why it was a big deal. I do understand that the panda's arrival is important because it could indicate a breakthrough for them, though--so perhaps it would be harder-hitting if the chapter culminated in that fact. Is it the zoo itself that induces this magical ability that lets animals talk? Or is it something else, something to do with the animals instead?

*I know I'm being weird and picky with these details for a first draft, but. Some gaps would be nice to have filled for us at some point, if not currently! I'm curious to know what Patrick did before joining the zoo.

Did the animals only start to speak after Patrick joined the zoo? If so, was it him who built the secret passages careening into the underground, or was it the person before him? It's funny to imagine Patrick's initial reaction to all the talking animals. Now that's something I'd really like to see, haha.

Overall, another lovely chapter! I'm looking forward to the next chapter; ping me whenever you get around to updating~

Hope this helps!

~Pomp x




ExOmelas says...


To be clear, if I tell you right now that you will learn gradually how the animals gained the ability to talk and how they got to where they are now, is it okay that it's not all revealed so far? I want it to be suspenseful, but not contrived. Also was it you I asked to keep track of the speed I reveal information at? If so, good job!

As for Patrick being old, I think I decided around this point that it would just be nice if he was a grandfather? I make more of a point of it as the story goes on. It actually becomes quite crucial to his character. I think I might have just been reading a bit too much Chosen Grandma at the time... For the record he's 62, which I think I reveal in chapter 4 if I'm remembering right.



ExOmelas says...


oh also thanks for the review! :D



Pompadour says...


Ooh, I think in that case it's fine if that information isn't revealed at this point--what I am interested in is knowing Patrick's take on it, as a relatively? newer employee. Maybe even highlighting his confusion and lack of comprehension over the entire issue would help emphasise the panda's importance in the story. We spend a lot of time exploring his external nervousness; some internal dialogue might help balance the drama nicely, while still retaining the mysterious element of not knowing.

I'm an impatient reader, haha. I can't wait to find out more about Patrick! And you're welcome~ ^^



ExOmelas says...


well i guess you'll be glad to know that because you saved this chapter from the green room i've just put the next one up :P (no rush, but it's there whenever you want it)



User avatar
202 Reviews


Points: 10840
Reviews: 202

Donate
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:23 am
Blues wrote a review...



Hello!

She stared up at Patrick. "Can she, you know... play Mario Kart?"


HAHAHA.

Not that I didn't enjoy the last chapter, but I enjoyed this one a lot more! I love how mischievous the animals seem and the mental gymnastics of an crocodile running around like my brother would have after winning Mario Kart are hilariously entertaining.

Anyway, let's jump in.

The end of the corridor was exactly perpendicular to the back of the cage, but if you didn’t know where to look, you’d have no hope finding Patrick’s office. Patrick crouched down at the last plank. It was crammed into the space, but there was a tiny hole in the far side of it.

Below was a slightly scratched pane of glass, which Patrick lifted upwards from the far side. If you’d been sat behind him, your jaw would have dropped open as you realised how big the pane was.


Perhaps I'm just being a bit thick, but these bits did confuse me. I'd rewrite these bits here as I'm a bit confused with the layout. Is the exact journey important? Is there any bit you can simplify/skip over to get to the more interesting parts of his entry process?

I love already being able to see Treego's personality come out already. I'm struggling a bit to imagine him though -- which isn't normally important but I feel like in a story like this, it is (and it's way more fun ;)) How is he grinning (what does a poison-arrow frog look when he does)? Does he have a human mouth? Does his face look human in any way? Their physical description can function as a manifestation of their personality and I want to see more of that. For example:

a particularly dextrous penguin,


I know what a penguin looks like... but not a dextrous one. You could totally flesh this out by being a bit more specific: are his hands a bit bigger? Does it feel like they're just kids wearing animal costumes or does it feel almost bizarre how animals can be sitting like that?

but Chip the capuchin was right up her tail... metaphorically.

This reads a little clunky to me - perhaps "so to speak" or "figuratively" might work better? The ellipsis almost makes me wonder if you're making an innuendo!

at which point he was met with the sight of a collection of mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians trudging towards him with shoulders - or equivalents - hunched.

He pushed his chair out and shot to his feet, causing most heads in the room to jerk around to face him, and his back to twinge.


I feel like these contradict each other a little...?

, "I would be very surprised if she could. Because, Dexi, I think I can tell what you’re getting at. And no, she's not like all of you. She's a totally normal panda. She doesn't even talk."


I've crossed this out just because I feel like it's a bit superfluous and takes away from the drama -- I can see conflict on the horizon so play it up a bit! ;)

I'm really excited to see what comes next!!

~ Blues





You're a hairy, wizard!
— EllieMae