z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Letter from Girls

by Lightsong


We do not want to
stomp on the ground, claiming
the territory. What we want is
to dance like others without
being filmed
and passed around
to elicit chuckles and laughter
or scowls and whispers.

We do not want to be confined
in a sterile white room as if
the moment we are born, our place
is either in a room of bookshelves
and pencils and textboooks or
at the back of the house where
the pot is sizzling and
the air smells of spices.

We do not want to be defined
as just 'sugar and spice and
everything nice' or become
'snips and snails and puppy dog's
tails'. What we want is total control
of how we define ourselves.
We aren't a brand to be labeled
as one thing.

And, boys, men, leave us alone
when we say, 'no.'


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 pm
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Thanks for sharing this poem about how feminist women feel.
I can understand that viewpoint since history offers evidence that women have been prevented from advancing at the same level of men. So the complaint isn’t baseless but has historical evidence to prove that men have indeed abused their power over women. For example there was a time that women were paid less in the USA for doing the same work. Being a woman automatically meant a lower wage. Then they were prohibited from voting. The freed slaves acquired that right before women did. Some universities of higher learning were closed to women.

Of course such conditions have never nee universal since cultures differ in how much authority women have had. Take the Iseni tribe of the Britons where women fought alongside men and Bodicea even led men to battle.

phpBB [media]



Then thee were the warrior queens of Nubia. Also many women in the home are the bosses. They decorate how they please, appropriate the kids to themselves, and the man is more like a henpecked visitor who is barely tolerated. This happens very often in industrialized Western societies and it is disgusting. No equal rights for men at home?

I do agree that if a woman says no it should be respected. However, if a woman really doesn’t want to arouse a man’s interest, then she should not behave as if she is seeking that interest.
Otherwise men will, ummm, become interested and feel as if they have been played with in a sadistic way when they are rejected.

Common sense should indicate that tempting people and then letting them down causes anger. So that little game should not be part of the female behavior if females really wish not to attract men. In short, doing that and demanding that men not to react is asking men to stop being men and many find that demand irrational. So it takes the cooperation of both sexes to keep that under control. But yes a, when a woman says no it should be no. Just make sure that they aren’t saying

“Yess! Yess! Come on baby! See my boobs and legs?” before saying no-that is all that is required.

Another thing is this. If indeed women want to be treated equally, then why do they use their being females to get away with verbally insulting men in public or provoking them based on the fact that they feel safe because they are women and expect the man to grin and take it? Under equality a man then would have to ignore that the provoker is a woman and react as if she were a man. But if that is done, then there are protests of abuse.

phpBB [media]


Woman kills man with heel
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1752882

In short, womanhood should not be used as a shield to abuse men in public or in the privacy of the home. Respect and be respected should be the motto.




User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 1937
Reviews: 91

Donate
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:34 pm
View Likes
Kazumi wrote a review...



Okay, some background information about me so you can know about my attitude coming into this.

I'm okay with the OG idea of feminism (gender equality), and I also think women can be worthy of praise. But I'm super afraid of what the movement's becoming right now. Particularly those "feminists" that pretty much hate men lol. I want creative freedom for me and everyone. I want to write women tailored to my own specific interests and fetishes, because that's what I want to write about. That's one of the beauties of art, which is to be able to make anything you fantasize. Plus, I want to be able to make offensive humor too, and that includes pretty terrible gender jokes too. The problem is those kinds of people are so vocal about it that they're probably gonna crash my rep just by force of angry blogging alone. You remember the last last review when I said we writers are slaves to the demands of the audience/market? Yeah. Maybe it's just an irrational fear, so correct me if I'm being too afraid.

Plus, I don't really care about it. Nothing super sexist happened to me or anyone I know. What I'm trying to say with all of this is I have very little emotional baggage coming into this. Feeling a little cynical, if you know what I mean.

Also, I'm not very good at reviewing poetry. I very rarely read them, and very very very rarely review them. Thanks in advance for putting up with my inexperience.

On to the main thing.

I feel like I've read this poem before, to be honest. In many different forms, like speeches and videos online. When you boil it down, it's saying like, don't judge me or laugh at me while I'm just doing my thing, don't predetermine my fate based on my gender alone, don't think we ladies are just pretty little meek things that can't be as tough as men huhuhu.

And I'm just sitting here like, dude, I've heard these complaints so many times already. It don't help either that it uses a simple structure, relatively direct language and unpoetic tone. It got no rhyme, no regular rhythm or plays on form either. It sounds so much like a generic feminist speech that it kinda burns me inside.

On top of that, I gotta say this is not a very good letter. It's a letter, a message from one big group of people to another big group of people. It's important because it carries the dreams and emotions of the women. But why do they have so little to say? I mean, this letter-poem is their platform to speak out against the centuries of BS women had to go through under the discrimination of bad men but they only got four short stanzas to clap back wtf?

Like dude, I feel the poem was written on forced anger. The voice is low, stern, leaking with righteous anger, but not at all seething or screaming or burning passionate about what it represents. I dunno man, just be the woman and violently menstruate all those pent-up feelings onto the paper or smth. Maybe you can start low and stern while you explain the context of why this letter is being written and the position of women right now, then progressively get more firm and ablaze as you explain what you (women) want from men, and at the very last lines the emotions are so at their peak, to the point where you could carve those words into a monument built in honor of women's rights and it would just sound badass.

I'm just cold to this. You're a cool guy no joke, but this poem feels cold. Cold, like when a terrible event happens, which you make a post about offering condolences to the loved ones, but lowkey you're not that bothered about it. Maybe you're lowkey passionate about this, but it's just not carrying that passion over very well. Or are you passionate about it? I don't know. It'd be cool if you let me know.

Yeah, that's the end of the review. Hope you got something out of it. I'm sorry if I sounded super dry or super harsh. That's the way the poem made me feel after reading. No offense to you.

But you know, you're a prolific guy so I'm sure you'll bounce back with something that clicks. Good luck in your future writinggg

-Kazumi




Lightsong says...


Haha to be fair, this is a very quick poem with no revision whatsoever. xD But I get what you mean, though imo letters shouldn't be long. Thanks for the review, btw! :D



Kazumi says...


Oh shoot, I should have considered that. I mean the process behind this poem. Darn, shoulda seen that.



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 4997
Reviews: 56

Donate
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 am
View Likes
aulyasela3597 wrote a review...



Hello! Aulyasela3597 is here for a slight review :)

I really do like how you put the idea of Feminism into a poem. I could see clearly : Objectification, Gender Inequality and Discrimination, Gender Roles, Violence against Women, and even Patriarchy in it. You really did a great job making such a beautiful poem and it is really easy to get the message inside the poem. You're from Malaysia, right? I hope we can be friends and get along so well, dear neighbor :) I'm waiting to see more of your literary works :)

Keep writing, keep improving and stay inspired!

Warm regards,

Aulyasela3597





Always do what you are afraid to do.
— E. Lockhart, We Were Liars