Comparisons Between The Education System in Australia and Indonesia

by aulyasela3597

Education is the backbone for country development. Usually most developed countries have a better education system than any developing countries. In most regions, education is compulsory up to a certain  age. In this essay, I will compare  the education system of both countries, Australia and Indonesia. There are several ways that can be applied in the comparisons. To make it simple, the comparative analysis is only done based on the age, starting from the kindergarten level up to the higher education level. Some generalizations even though have been minimized, are inevitable.

The children activities in the Australian kindergarten (3 - 5 year old) are mostly playing, dancing, singing, and other similar ones. The kids are encouraged to speak in public and also introduced to several basic important things such as safety and sanitation. In Indonesia, things are quite similar. However, the reading and math are more advanced. As a result, it is normal that kindergarten kids in Indonesia are able to read and do some basic math. However, their social skills are less developed than those in Australia. At elementary schools, the Australia system is considered more relax than Indonesia's. It is normal to watch an Indonesian 8-year-old kid cramming in the room to study math, natural science, such as Geography, and social science like History and Religion, while Australia counterpart is playing music instruments or sport. When Australia system develops almost 9 types of human intelligence is the main focus for Indonesian kids. Also, Indonesian kids are trained to memorized some scientific facts and figures in their textbooks, meaning less time for playing.

The similar differences can be also observed at the secondary level. The high school students in Indonesia often study Physics, Math, and Chemistry at the standard of first year university level. They often need additional off-school courses in order to catch up. One also could argue that the Australian education lacks of dicipline. However, when comparing at the higher  education level in both countries, the Indonesian standard is significantly falling behind the Australian's, perhaps due to lacks of funding and resources.

In general, the Indonesian system is mainly focusing on a few types of intelligence, such as logical whereas the diversity is a lot better in Australia. That is clear why it is more difficult to find great artists or athletes among 230 million populations in Indonesia than in only 20 million Australians. In addition, the Indonesian system is still mostly based on "Guru" style, the system that has been abandoned in most developed countries that prefer Socratic style of teaching.

In conclusion, depends on what do you want to be, a scientist, an engineer, perhaps Indonesian education system is good. However, Australia education system is capable in developing all 9 types of intelligence which allows more development opportunity for most of the children.

Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:37 pm
Eraspo says...

In both countries, the training is quite high-level. Up to 12 years old, children should have easy lessons, as they should have a lot of time to rest. After the age of 12, children should begin to learn fruitfully, as they will soon enter adulthood, for which they must prepare. If it is difficult for children to learn, then there are additional courses. When my child was in the 10th grade, it was difficult for him to understand mathematics. I hired a tutor for him. Now my son is studying to become an economist. He was able to find the university using https://www.listsofscholarships.com/sch ... inorities/.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:48 pm
Lord Anzius wrote a review...

Education is the backbone for country development.

- Instead of "country development", the term "national development" not only sounds better but is also in common usage.

Usually most developed countries have a better education system than any developing countries.

- I might have been reviewing and writing too many academic essays, but this statement strikes me as very definite and thus lacks a source (If a source is not necessary then that is not a problem).
- Also, "better" is a bit vague. I understand that this is only the beginning, but using some other ore descriptive term would maybe work better here, e.g. Higher quality; more efficient; more advanced; sophisticated.

In this essay, I will compare the education system of both countries, Australia and Indonesia.

- "This will be a comparative essay of the Australian and Indonesian educational systems."
- "This essay will compare the Australian and Indonesian educational systems."
- Remember that essays - especially academic ones - should be impersonal. The use of first person is usually frowned upon.

There are several ways that can be applied in the comparisons.

-Replace "ways" with "methods".

To make it simple, the comparative analysis is only done based on the age, starting from the kindergarten level up to the higher education level. Some generalizations even though have been minimized, are inevitable.

- "For the sake of simplicity the comparative analysis is done by comparing age groups, starting from kindergarten level up to the higher education level. Certain generalisations have been inevitable for the sake of effective comparison, but their use has been as minimal as possible"
- It would be good if you could list the necessary generalisations already here if there are only a few. If there are many then listing them in an appendix would probably be necessary if this is an academic essay.

The children activities in the Australian kindergarten (3 - 5 year old) are mostly playing, dancing, singing, and other similar ones.

- "The children's activities" - remember to use the genitive form. The original text would lead the reader to believe that there are some sort of child activities.
- "kindergartens"

The kids are encouraged to speak in public and also introduced to several basic important things such as safety and sanitation.

-The kids are encouraged to speak in public and are introduced to several important and basic concepts such as safety and sanitation." - the text was lacking an "are" and when you put two descriptors back to back it sounds better if you put start with an "I" word and continue with an "A" or "O" word. This is not a grammar rule, but just something that makes the text sound better.
This concept is explained quite well in this article: The language rules we know- but don't know we know

As a result, it is normal that kindergarten kids in Indonesia are able to read and do some basic math.

- As a result, it is normal for kindergarten aged children in Indonesia to be able to read and do basic mathematics."

At elementary schools, the Australia system is considered more relax than Indonesia's.

- "Australian" and "Relaxed"

It is normal to watch an Indonesian 8-year-old kid cramming in [FF0000]the[/color] room to study math, ! natural science, such as Geography, and social science like History and Religion, while ! Australia counterpart is playing music instruments or sport. When Australia system develops almost 9 types of human intelligence is the main focus for Indonesian kids. Also, Indonesian kids are trained to memorized some scientific facts and figures in their textbooks, meaning less time for playing.

- "see", "their", "a", "social sciences", "their", "Australian",
- I don't know what the green part is supposed to mean.

The similar differences can be also observed at the secondary level. The high school students in Indonesia often study Physics, Math, and Chemistry at the standard of first year university level. They often need additional off-school courses in order to catch up. One also could argue that the Australian education lacks of dicipline. However, when comparing at the higher education level in both countries, the Indonesian standard is significantly falling behind the Australian's, perhaps due to lacks of funding and resources.

-"discipline"

-"focuses"
- "This is clearly the reason why it is more difficult to find great artists or athletes among the 230 million people in Indonesia than in Australia with only 20 million people."

cyberforces63 wrote a review...

Hi, Cyberforces63 here for a slight review :)

I think your ideas are very interesting, this is the first time ever I read an analysis of comparing the education system of both countries. But I think you should pay more attention when making a clarity of your logical structure of the essay so the readers could understand what are you trying to express.

Also, there's a few grammatical errors and spellings....somewhat I found some lines of reasoning makes me even hard to follow up. So, I think next time you may want to work up a little from mistakes and keep writing and improving. Remember, keep practising!

Warm regards,

Cyberforces63

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:31 am
Relaxistence88 wrote a review...

Hello, I'm Relaxistence88, I would like to give a review.

I think this is the first time ever I've seen and read an essay comparing the education systems in countries. I would say this is a greatest piece you've made so far! This is an interesting essay, which could just use a little tightening up in terms of when to fill in a bit more detail, and when to pare back. There's a few grammatical errors and spellings....also I found some lines of reasoning makes me even hard to follow up. So, I think next time you should be more careful and cautious when writing an essay. THE KEY is KEEP PRACTISING! STUDY, STUDY AND STUDY!

And congratulations for being mentioned in the Literary Spotlight! :D I hope you enjoy your time using YWS! Don't stop writing, keep improving and stay inspired! I'm cheering for you!

Warm Regards,

Relaxistence88

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:52 pm
Battlestar wrote a review...

I've never read a piece comparing the education systems in countries as different as Indonesia and Australia before, so this was very interesting! I think your separation of the comparison into different stages of school is a good idea, but in general your sentence construction makes some of the details and lines of reasoning a little hard to follow.

If it would be helpful, I have a few suggestions by paragraph:

"Education is the backbone for country development. . . "

In terms of logical flow, it is a little unclear why you chose Australia and Indonesia specifically. Since your second sentence compares developed vs. less-developed countries, you may want to say that you chose Australia and Indonesia because you wanted to discuss the differences between countries that fit this comparison. Your third sentence disrupts the flow and distracts the reader from your main point, so you may want to take it out. I was also a little confused as to what your last sentence meant. Maybe you could write, "Generalizations are inevitable but have been minimized." or "Generalizations have been minimized but are inevitable."

“The children activities in the Australian kindergarten . . .”

I like being able to see the comparison between the two countries’ educational systems, but you jump around a lot when describing the different types of education, and it becomes a little hard to follow. You may want to split up the paragraph a little bit more or add a concluding sentence that concisely summarizes the differences.
The sentence “When Australia system develops almost 9 types of human intelligence is the main focus for Indonesian kids” is a little confusing and I’m not quite sure what you meant to say. Also, since you mention the 9 types of intelligence later in the essay as well, it would be helpful to describe what these 9 types are just in case the reader is not familiar with them.

“The similar differences can be also observed . . .”

Generally in this paragraph I wasn’t really sure what the main idea was since you start with academics and then talk about discipline. It is a little unclear in the last sentence whether the Indonesian standard is behind the Australian standard regarding academics or methods of discipline.

You should include more about Australia’s secondary school curriculum and compare it to the Indonesian curriculum in order to give some context for the last sentence. Perhaps you can add another paragraph discussing discipline since this topic doesn’t seem so relevant for this paragraph.

“In general, the Indonesian system is mainly focusing . . .
In conclusion, depends on what . . .”

I think these paragraph can be combined under your “In conclusion. . .” paragraph. The wording of the sentence “That is clear why it is more difficult to find great artists or athletes among. . .” is a little awkward and your meaning isn’t very clear. You may want to expand on the “Guru” style of teaching.

Also, since this is a conclusion, you want to recap your essay’s themes more clearly. In general, I think readers should be able to read your conclusion paragraph and understand the gist of the essay. Your conclusion should include the main things you want your readers to remember after reading your essay.

Conclusions could also include further expansion on your themes. For example, you could include more information about why differences in Indonesian and Australian educations arise from a cultural or historical standpoint.

Overall, I think your ideas are very interesting, but you may want to work on clarity when expressing your thoughts so that readers may better understand the logical structure of your argument.

Good job, and I look forward to reading more of your work!

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
— Solomon Short