MASK

by thesockpuppet

MASK

I look around and scream internally
All these familiar faces are strangers
They wear their masks
Not wanting to be seen

They act like robots instead of little kids
All the happy days are gone
Only sorrow and deadlines
With deadly irony

Adults say we’re fine
Kids say we are wrong
No right answer to be seen
Leaves you confused with misery

Why do we hide beneath our mask
Afraid to show our real selves
Children in adults shoes
Adult minds in scared children

We are too frightened to admit
The problems we are faced with
We think we are alone
But our masks divide us

Wed May 23, 2018 3:31 am
Murphy2493 wrote a review...

This was really good! It's definitely something to think about. I know when I was a teen I had many masks. I had ones for my parents, my friends, the people I didn't like, my teachers. When I graduated and went out on my own I kept some of those masks. The past year or two I have been breaking away from them and just trying to be me. Like "what you see is what you get" kinda thing.

Anyways, I think this piece was written very well. Well done!

Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 am
Wordzyy says...

The last Paragraph brought goosebumps in me.What you have wrote is very true that nobody in this contemporary world realise and react to. The metaphors are used so cleverly.Your way of thinking is inspiring, looking forward for more.

Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 am
Wordzyy says...

Radrook wrote a review...

Thanks for sharing this poem which describes a reality that most don't want to admit.
Unfortunately society expects the very young adult to suddenly FEEL like a full-fledged adult at a certain age. But this isn't as easy as they make it seem. Especially for some who have not been adequately socialized by being exposed to the realities of a life that demands self sufficiency.

For example, some young adults are suddenly hurled into a dog-eat-dog world when just a few years before their minds might have been filled with fantasies of a man arriving each year on a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer and who gives away valuable things for free. True, they try to conceal the shock behind the facade of smug self-confidence. But once in a while the panic can be seen in the eyes.

About the Masks

The masks are kept on because if they are removed they reveal weakness and weakness is unacceptable in the dog-eat-dog adult world. Taking off the mask could mean being tagged as emotionally immature and unqualified for a leadership position at the job or at church. It could mean losing the admiration of a person we want to marry. It could lead to a self image that places others above ourselves and leads to lack of self confidence. So the masks, although they might seem insincere, do have a very important function-to increase our survival potential within society.

RachMilty wrote a review...

I enjoyed reading your poem very much. It's a great topic to write about, and your theme is very clear. The feeling I got from this is that its teenagers who are hiding behind masks, but that's most likely because I'm likening your poem to my own life. That's what is supposed to happen, so great job! Your imagery is great, and so is your descriptions. I especially love the line "children in adult shoes." as I'm starting to become of adult age, I know exactly what that feels like. This poem is intensely relatable. Great job.

An existential crisis a day keeps the writer's block away <3
— LadyBug