Home » Literary works » Poetry » Lyrical

12+

That Girl

by LadyAstella

I'm not the girl that everyone loves.

I'm not the popular girl.

Barely anyone even realizes I exists.

I'm good at keeping to myself.

I like not being seen.

I don't care that no one likes me.

In the end it doesn't really matter, right?

I'm fine being alone in life.

That means I can't blame anyone except myself if my life goes wrong.

No one could love that depressed girl who always sits in the back corner.

I'm the different girl, and I don't mind.

I don't mind if everyone that I pass stops and stares at me.

I don't mind if they see me cry.

Life doesn't last, so one day I'll be happy....

One day finally.

It won't matter that I was "That Girl".

Because we'll all be dead.

And then we will all be the same.

Quinine wrote a review...

Nice poem, the tone really portrays what the girl is feeling. However, I have a few questions about this. I don't mean to offend but-

1. The poem says that she doesn't care if no one likes her. However, the entire poem is about
how "no one likes her". If she was the writer, and she took the trouble to write this, then it
is clear that she does care.
2. Like I said above, there are two conflicting ideas-one being that she doesn't care, and
another being that the reader is emotionally broken over this. How does that work?
3. What does the reader believe about death? The only thing we gather is that everyone is the
same when they are dead, and that the girl will be happy when everyone is dead.

Overall, really nice and thoughtful work.
Hope this helps,
-Quinine

Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

Thanks for sharing this poem about how unhappy a girl is about herself and the world and how she longs for the day when she along with all those who torment her will be dead. I can't honestly say I enjoy reading this type of poetry but I can appreciate when it is written convincingly and this one is. The mood of resignation and desperation are expressed very powerful.

Suggestion
Please note that in order to be happy a person needs to exist. If a person does not exist then there is nothing thee to feel; happiness. So that is a concept that made me wonder.

Also, please note that no one on this earth is liked by EVERYONE. There is always someone who either doesn't care, or dislikes us for some reason. It doesn't even have to be the way we behave. It could be our racial, religious, political, ethnic, affiliation. Or it could be that they don't like our accent. Any little thing is enough for some humans to latch onto in that irrational way.

Conversely, what we find wrong with ourselves might be the very thing that someone finds endearing. Shyness could be perceived as humbleness, or pleasant humility, as adding to femininity. Being overconfidently brash can become obnoxious and seem rather masculine to some men.

So a balanced viewpoint will take all such things into consideration.

....everyone that pass....
[....everyone that passes....]

Chitz wrote a review...

Hey!

It seems many people can relate to your work and indeed I also did. You have excellently presented the conditions that a not so girly flirty and open girl faces. I loved it. Pure from heart and soul.
If any suggestion I can give is the end seems a bit depressing to me. Even though you are different one should be proud at the last of oneself . And another reason for that sad end I felt was that I personally dont like thinking about death;when we are alive , we should better focus on that.

All in all , the piece is amazing. Cheers!

~chitz

LivitheWriter4 wrote a review...

This is an outstanding poem, and this describes perfectly how I feel. You should write more poems like this. Maybe you should make stanzas that connect instead of a line after line. That could help you really show what kind of message you are sending out with the poem. It might help, as well, if you add in rhyming phrases. Overall, you should publish this on other websites so more people can read this!

ABC123 wrote a review...

Hi LadyAstella.
I really really like this, it's a very powerful poem and it made me sit back and think.
I don't know if you've ever read either 'The Fault in Our Stars' written by John Green or 'The Infernal Devices' series written by Cassandra Clare, but both of these writers touch on a similar image to what you present in your poem.
This is a really good piece of work and I hope you keep writing!
ABC123

LadyAstella says...

Oh my goodness! Yes I have! I love those books.

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl