Home » Literary works » Lyrics » General

Same Old

by InfiniteRectangles

If you want to hear how the song sounds, I uploaded it to YouTube. You can check it out here: https://youtu.be/_s38Uw5hQTM

These same old houses, same old town
Have got me going insane
Same old roads, same old places
Been here my whole life, I've got to get out

Same old people, same old things
Nothing ever changes in this town
Everybody wants the same old things from me
Get a job, a degree, get a life

I just want to go where no one knows me
I just want to go where the road takes me
I don't want to die in this same old town
I've got to get out before I drown

Everybody tells me what I need to do
As if I don't already know
But no one knows how hard I'm trying
To be okay, to be good, to be fine

I just want to go where no one knows me
I've got to get out before I drown

Everyone thinks they understand
But no one knows how much it hurts inside
Everyone thinks they know me
But no one knows what I need

I just want to go where no one knows me
I've got tout get out before I drown

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:30 pm
Sree wrote a review...

I checked out the link you have posted above! This song is great! You have such an amazing voice and the lyrics are so touching and just so awesome.

Loved this one:

I just want to go where no one knows me
I've got to get out before I drown

I was able to feel the situation. The lyrics just painted the picture so dang good. I was in the same boat of the lyricist.

[quote]Same old people, same old things
Nothing ever changes in this town
Get a job, a degree, get a life[quote]

Oh, yeah. That's what people say. Never could see or feel what we are goin' through.
The lines were poetic and strong!
I loved the song. Thank you so much for sharing this song.
Looking forward to more of your works.

Kind regards,
Sree.

Wed May 23, 2018 3:45 am
Murphy2493 wrote a review...

This is very well done. It has good flow and rhymes smoothly. Good job! I also think a lot of people can relate to it. I know I did. I lived in the same town for a long time and the town I lived in before that was very similar. I had people telling me the same thing and if it wasn't that crowd it was my friends trying to get me to do things I shouldn't have been doing. I remember thinking "one day I'm gonna be on my own and get out of this stupid town." and that's what I did and I am 100% glad I did.

qalbdaye3 wrote a review...

this is my first visit to the lyrics section of this website and i have definitely gotten a good impression from this being my first click! i love these lyrics because i can deeply relate to this certain subject as i have never really lived somewhere that felt like home. i have always been dreaming of just travelling the world because the world in itself is my home. i cannot simply stay in one place AAAAND die here! that is a whooole lotta routine work. i'm more of a flexible person so i can see myself
"traveling where the road takes me". you are a lyrical genius keep going ~a

ABC123 wrote a review...

Hello InfiniteRectangles.
I want to start out this review by saying that I really like these lyrics, I think they're very poignant and expressive and raw. The song itself is also very good, the tune is simple but effective. I really like the way that there is some rhyme within the lyrics, but the structure of the song is different to what I would think of as a typical modern pop song.
So I hope you keep on writing and recording songs because you have a lot of talent :)
ABC123

Thu May 10, 2018 5:06 pm
TheBlueCat wrote a review...

Hello InfiniteRectangles! Here for your requested review! I’m burning some time on a road trip(*was), so let’s get right into this, shall we? c:
Unfortunately, I am not able to listen to the recording, but I’m just going to review on the lyrics themselves and not the music anyways (like I would a poem; I’m not an expert on songs at any rate).

Clarity
You definitely get right to the point, which I was told is good for a song because hidden meanings work better in actual poems. I’ve found this to be true, and you accomplished that easily. All its parts work together nicely as a whole. It’s not confusing and doesn’t lose me at any point throughout it.

Flow
Your flow is okay, but I know it’s different in songs than poems, so I won’t lecture you. I can’t say songs are my forte, so I’m not sure if these tips will help you, but here’s what I’ve learned. 1) Flow is hard to define. What is flow? You could google it, but it probably still wouldn’t help. Flow tends to be how much you stumble and how well the words work together in my short experience, though. It’s a hard thing! 2) Flow is different for everyone. It all depends on the person and how they read it. I’ve had a reviewer say my flow was amazing and then another say it wasn’t great and hard for them to read. Okay I need to stop rambling, but I hope you can apply something xD

Imagery
Not a lot of imagery here, but there’s not really a story being told where I need to visualize anything anyways. You don’t really need to do anything here, but a being specific with certain things like, Why do you hate this town? What’s so bad about it? Really though, “Everybody” doesn’t understand you and wants you to get a life? Answering these questions could lead to better and more imagery.

Emotion
Emotion is strong to say the least! There definitely a strong feeling of hatred and resentment towards this town, but I’m still left asking as to why, which leads back to specificity in writing. I’ve been referred to a topic on yws multiple times called Specificity in Poetry I think by Rosedorn? I’ll hunt this down for you when I have internet again. Even though this isn’t poetry, poetry and lyrics are pretty close and I think that you can use something in there or use it for future poetry.

Spelling/grammar
One line with a typo:

I've got tout get out before I drown

*to

Other thoughts
Before I forget, I want to mention that you can’t keep a rhyme scheme. There are some stanzas with one and some without, which really bugged me. I would fix the rhyme scheme because rhymes in songs are really nice and contribute to nice flow.

Overall, a very nice song! Good job and keep writing~ c:

~Cat

Sat May 05, 2018 1:21 am
Quinine wrote a review...

This will be a fairly short review.

1. "Get a job, a degree, get a life" seems a bit out of place, I think a rewording would improve
it at least a bit.
2. Overall, I think the rhythm and rhyming patterns should be a bit more consistent, but that
might just be my personal preference.
3. This song has a resonating message and you have a great voice, nice job <3
4. Maybe construct a more satisfying ending

That's it, nice song! ~<3

TheMaskedAstro wrote a review...

Hey just wanted to give you my thoughts on the song.

I watch the video and you have a very nice voice! The message is very clear, that the singer (you) Doesn't want to do live in the small town and wants to get out to explore the world and follow her dreams and not do what everyone expects of her.

I really liked the guitar as well however I did noticed a few times it slowed but I understand if that was accidental. I really liked how it slowed down in the part before actually ending and the up beat tune rather then a slower one for this song was a great choice!

Over all I really liked this song (Listing to it right now in fact) and I hope to hear more like this later on as well! You have a good voice, solid lyrics and a nice up beat tune! I hope this helped in some way and I hope you have a nice day!

Thank you so much for your kind words <3

If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhasdh asdglaseuyt[bn[ pasdlgkhasdfasdf.
— Lemony Snicket