z

Young Writers Society



The Charm of Deception - Chapter 5

by Shady


Rana swallowed hard and wrapped her arms around herself protectively. She knew there was no use in lying to Aldik – he always found out the truth, whether you were willing to tell it to him or not. She still didn’t want to talk about it. “Father… ah… wants me to go to Gnamrey.”

“Ah,” Aldik said gently, settling back against the tree next to her. “And does this sudden ambition have anything to do with the prince’s attendance last night?”

Rana nodded sullenly.

“I see. And I take it you’re disinclined to go?”

“He’s threatening a marriage proposal,” Rana snarled, irritated by the cocky prince.

“Ah,” Aldik said. “And you’re not thrilled at the prospects.”

“Of being carted off to a country I’ve never been to, to marry a man I don’t know, who is more than twice my age?” Rana said angrily, though her voice lacked some of the venom it had at breakfast. She wasn’t angry at Aldik. “No. I’m not.”

“He’s very wealthy.”

“That’s the problem!” Rana said, turning to face Aldik. She felt so hopeless. “That means he can bribe Father with anything he wants to. Father is going to sell me to him. I just know it.”

“Hey, now, come on,” Aldik said, holding his arm out. He waited patiently until Rana’s shoulders deflated slightly and she moved into the hug he offered. He wrapped his arm around her protectively. “It’ll be okay. Calm down.”

“I don’t want to marry him,” Rana said, taking a shaky breath as tears began welling up in her eyes once again.

“Then don’t,” Aldik said simply. “A visit isn’t the same thing as a marriage. You have time to get out of this mess yet.”

“How?” Rana sniffed.

“You don’t know what will happen,” Aldik said. “You’re assuming things will be nice and predictable. You’ll go visit, come back and prepare for a wedding, and then go and become the queen of Gnamrey. A dream for most girls, a nightmare for the young Rana. But your life is rarely average, dear, and I suspect there are more surprises waiting for you between now and your wedding.”

“Like what?” she asked, wiping her face. Aldik had a way of capturing imaginations and making it easier to stay calm in what felt like impossible situations.

“Well how should I know?” Aldik said playfully. “You’re the one who keeps things unpredictable. How about you tell me? Maybe you’ll find a man who is dreadfully perfect for you, and you’ll be the one to propose.”

Rana snorted, smiling despite herself. That would be the day her Father disowned her, she was certain. Father adored tradition, and her being brazen enough to be the one to suggest a marriage might be enough to give him a heart attack. “I doubt that.”

“Ah, ever the skeptic,” Aldik said good-naturedly. “Fine then. Prove me wrong. Just be an average, boring bride. See if I care.”

“Why can’t I just have a career?” Rana asked, sighing softly. “I don’t see why a marriage has to be involved at all.”

“What sort of career do you propose?” Aldik questioned. “Laundry lady? Call girl?”

Rana glared at him. “Why not advisor? Scholar? Philosopher?”

“You see yourself as a philosopher?” Aldik mused.

“No…” Rana admitted slowly. “But that’s not the point. If I wanted to be a philosopher, I should be allowed to.”

“Okay, fine then,” Aldik said, shrugging. “You become a philosopher. I won’t stop you.”

“Father will.”

“If you let him.” Rana looked at him curiously, but Aldik only shrugged again. “You fight your father, and yet he always wins. There will come a point when you must choose between keeping your father happy and making your own life happy. And I hope you will have the courage to make the right decision when that time comes.”

They sat in silence for a long moment. Rana didn’t know how to answer. Aldik had spent her entire life lecturing her to stop being so bullheaded, to cooperate with her father and not draw unnecessary discipline. To behave. And now he was encouraging her sense of independence.

“Come now, let’s get you back to the manor,” Aldik said at last, standing up. He offered a hand to help Rana up, but she was on her feet before she noticed it. He smirked and put his hand on her shoulder, then walked her towards the manor.

Rana slipped inside and went straight to the parlor. She was sure Itani would be packing her things, and she didn’t want to think about the trip so she needed to avoid her room. The parlor was a stuffy room and she usually hated every moment she was forced to be there — but it was where the piano stayed.

The door was near the left side of the room. To the right, in the center of the room, was the sitting area. There were several large seats that were covered in fading pink velvet that were arranged in a ring around a low mahogany coffee table. Just behind them was an impressive brick fireplace that was currently empty in the summer heat.

An ugly mint colored rug covered the entire floor, mostly concealing a rough wooden floor below it as it clashed with the color scheme of the rest of the room. The walls had a beige colored wallpaper covering them. Scattered about the room were paintings of ancient Elstans that father viewed as hugely important, as their patriarchs of the past. Rana didn’t understand why they mattered.

The left wall was lined with a series of tall, narrow windows that flooded the room with the cool morning sun. Under the windows was a row of short bookcases that housed all sorts of dull literature and insufferable anthologies of poetry. Along the back wall sat a large piano.

Rana swiftly walked across the room and nimbly sorted through the piano books in the stool next to the piano. She selected her favorite book and set it on the piano, then settled in the proper posture for playing.

She pretended to hate the piano. She whined about each lesson her tutor gave her and was sure to sigh loudly any time Father ordered her to practice. The piano was much too feminine of a pursuit for Rana, and she didn’t want anyone to believe that she actually enjoyed it.

In reality, playing the piano was one of the few escapes that she had. She loved getting to rip the notes from the page and toss them into the air in a beautiful melody that sang to her ears. The music danced around her, whisking her to a faraway place, where she was the master of a beautiful land.

She started playing the song on the music in front of her, slowly at first, letting her fingertips barely brush the tops of each of the keys she stroked with a dreamlike bliss. Gradually her speed increased. Her fingers flew up and down the keys, stroking some, pounding others – making the perfect mixture of sounds to lift her spirit.

By the time she finished playing, nearly an hour had passed and she’d gone through the entire book nearly six times. She changed the song each time she played. Sometimes she’d repeat pages, sometimes skip over lines – sometimes play quickly, sometimes stretch the melody out. She took a song that was already beautiful and made it her own.

She sat for a long moment after the end of the last song, staring at the music book. She’d switched the order of the notes in the last line, then added a flourish of her own to make the song build to a climax that she suddenly dropped down to a soft descant that gradually faded into the silence. She liked it. She wanted to write it down so she didn’t forget it.

“That’s lovely.”

Rana started, whirling around at the sound of a voice behind her. She relaxed slightly when she saw that it was Mama. She quickly closed the song book and set it back inside the stool, wondering how long she’d had an audience. “I was just… ah… practicing a piece my tutor assigned.”

“Oh really?” Mama said disbelievingly. She sat at the piano and began playing the true ending of the song, her notes crisp and clear. “I’d thought this song ended like this. Am I incorrect?”

“No, Mama,” Rana admitted as Mama reached for the songbook.

“That’s what I thought.” She stood and stepped closer to Rana, looking down at her sympathetically. “Don’t ever be ashamed of your talents, dear. Music composition is difficult, and you can do it better than most musicians I’ve heard. That’s something to be proud of.”

“I don’t know,” Rana said, shrugging as she avoided Mama’s gaze.

“That’s why you have a mama to tell you, because I do know,” Mama said, winking at Rana.

“Do you know if Father is planning to make me marry the prince?”

Mama’s smile faltered slightly. “I know that he’s very excited for your visit tomorrow.”

“And?”

“And it’s just a visit,” Mama said. “It’s not agreeing to anything.”

“Yet,” Rana sighed, sitting down on a low couch that sat between two of the bookshelves along the wall. She was so frustrated with how helpless she felt.

“How about this,” Mama suggested, sitting down next to her. “You go and do your best to have a good time. Give the prince an honest chance. And if you still don’t like him at the end, I’ll do everything I can to talk Father out of accepting whatever offers might come. Deal?”

Rana was silent for a moment. She didn’t see the harm in that. There was no chance she was going to like the prince, she was sure. There was something about him that was off, and it gave her an unsettled feeling. But at least Mama was on her side. “Deal.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
141 Reviews


Points: 34531
Reviews: 141

Donate
Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:52 am
View Likes
Hattable wrote a review...



Heyo!

Gonna hop right in, here.

Rana said angrily, though her voice lacked some of the venom it had at breakfast.

So, “had had” is a sin and I won't be suggesting it here, but something with that meaning would read better. I think “some of the venom it had held at breakfast”, or something similar, would flow more nicely here. It's an easy way to avoid “had had” while still achieving the slightly different tense (for lack of a better word) that it offers.

“Hey, now, come on,” Aldik said, holding his arm out.

I can't quite recall Aldik's diction in his previous appearances, but so far in this chapter he's spoken more properly? Almost uncomfortably so, like he's forcing that old noble-type speech, but that's no problem. The only issue is that here, he suddenly sounds very casual, and it conflicts with his previously formal tone of voice in this chapter.

Might be something you'd wanna check over, and decide whether to change the formal bits or adjust this to fit the other style.

I think it's mostly just the order of the words, though. “Come, now,” or “Come on, now,” sounds vaguely more formal than “Hey, now, come on,”. Minor suggestion; hope it makes sense!

Also, I love Aldik's character, but he seems very soft for a war lord, lel. He's also not as adverse to helping/hanging out with children as one might expect a big important war lord to be? But that's cool, too. He's got a soft side and it's real sweet to see. I always enjoy characters like that.

and I suspect there are more surprises waiting for you between now and your wedding.”

He's trying to convince her that a wedding isn't set in stone, so maybe go for “potential wedding” or “hypothetical wedding” here.

The door was near the left side of the room. To the right, in the center of the room, was the sitting area.

“Room” is said quite a lot in this portion and the paragraph prior to it. I can't think of many substitute words, but if you can, it might be a good idea to swap a couple instances out for them.

There were several large seats that were covered in fading pink velvet that were arranged in a ring around a low mahogany coffee table.

The double use of “that” and then describing a thing or position is kind of flow-stunting. You could try something like “There were several large seats, covered in fading pink velvet and arranged in a ring--”, or a similar such edit. Whatever strikes your fancy, but I think it would read nicer without so many “that”s. “That”s make it dull and droning.

Just behind them was an impressive brick fireplace that was currently empty in the summer heat.

The “that” here could also be dropped and replaced with a comma (would need to drop “was” as well, to keep it coherent, lel), I think. It gives the sentences a nicer flow and they're more pleasant to read.

An ugly mint colored rug covered the entire floor, mostly concealing a rough wooden floor below it as it clashed with the color scheme of the rest of the room.

I'm unclear on whether the wooden floor clashes with the color scheme, or the mint rug does. I'm guessing it's the latter, in which case I'd suggest a comma after “below it”, so that it's a bit clearer that the mint rug clashes. Otherwise, it reads like the wooden floor is clashing with the color scheme (which, if that's the case, no comma needed).

Also, minor thing, and I'm not sure if it's entirely proper, but I tend to hyphenate words when I say they're [blank] colored. So “mint-colored”, “beige-colored”, etc. Again, dunno if that's correct, but if you find it to be, it's a small fix you can apply to a couple instances here.

Scattered about the room were paintings of ancient Elstans that father viewed as hugely important, as their patriarchs of the past.

I am very bad at semi-colons, so take this with at least five grains of salt, but I think the last comma there may function better as a semi-colon? Not sure on that! But maybe--

The left wall was lined with a series of tall, narrow windows that flooded the room with the cool morning sun.

You say “cool morning sun” here, but previously described “summer heat”. This gives me contradicting senses of the weather, which isn't hugely important, but contradictions are never fun, especially in imagery. I guess it could just mean the general summer heat, as the season itself is hot, and the sun is currently cool, but I'm not sure so I thought I'd point it out--

Also, this whole scene drags on a little bit with the short paragraph after short paragraph of description for this room. It's not horrible, but you might want to cut back on it a little bit. She isn't going to be in this room for too long, is she? Even if she were, you could explore various features of it as she goes about whatever it is that she plans to do here, rather than tossing it all out right away.

It also takes quite a while to get to the piano after you mentioned that this room is where she'd find it. That doesn't flow super well? But it's a minor thing.

Rana swiftly walked across the room and nimbly sorted through the piano books in the stool next to the piano.

Second “piano” can be replaced by “it”, I think. Or you could drop the first instance of “piano” and the reader can probably infer that they're for sheet music.

The piano was much too feminine of a pursuit for Rana, and she didn’t want anyone to believe that she actually enjoyed it.

Pianos are considered feminine?! This never really occurred to me. I guess I don't associate instruments with genders a whole lot, though I could probably figure out a few such associations if you asked me to. *This is fine as it is, though, haha.

She loved getting to rip the notes from the page and toss them into the air in a beautiful melody that sang to her ears.

Oops, I took this quite literally as her tearing the pages out and throwing them about the room, haha. Maybe a slight rewording could help ensure that other readers don't make this same mistake, but I'm also currently in a mindset where I take things literally, I guess, so don't fret over this portion too much.

The music danced around her, whisking her to a faraway place, where she was the master of a beautiful land.

Second comma can be removed. The ending of this sentence sounds as though she wouldn't mind being a queen (or a queen who ruled before her husband//without one, as a regular queen in this world would probably be more of a background piece and not have much say in the rule). Given her behavior throughout the story thus far, she doesn't seem particularly interested in that role, though. Bit nit-picky, but pointing it out in case you missed it.

Maybe you could change it to “master of her own life” or something, to reflect her desire for independence and freedom, but that might not be what you want to go for either-- just a suggestion!

She started playing the song on the music in front of her

I'd swap out “music” for “sheet” for clarity(?) and to avoid the sort of awkwardness of “song on the music”. “Sheet” kind of flows better, I think.

By the time she finished playing, nearly an hour had passed and she’d gone through the entire book nearly six times.

Daaang. Short book or faster player, haha--

“No, Mama,” Rana admitted as Mama reached for the songbook.

You have “songbook” as one word here, but previously put a space between the two when Rana stowed it away in the stool. Small fix, easy fix. Single word is good.

Music composition is difficult, and you can do it better than most musicians I’ve heard.

Darrana has unlocked the Bard Class!!

”That’s why you have a mama to tell you, because I do know,” Mama said, winking at Rana.

- “winking at her” would read better, to avoid repeating Rana's name so much in this exchange.

Rana sighed, sitting down on a low couch that sat between two of the bookshelves along the wall.

Sitting on something that's sat sounds a little weird. Maybe you could go for “sitting down on a low couch, set between two--” etc etc. But this is pretty nit-picky, I admit – either way is fine.

There was something about him that was off, and it gave her an unsettled feeling.

“Unsettling” may work better, but this works as well.

And that's done.


Nice chapter! Bit slower than previous ones, what with the long room description, and not a lot happened (Aldik pep talk, piano, brief conversation with Mama), but it also wasn't as long as the last one, I don't think. You at least progressed the story somewhat, so that's good. No worries about less stuff happening here.

The characters were true to themselves for the most part. Aldik felt a little different, but he also hasn't appeared since the very beginning of chapter two? So I didn't have much time to get a feel for him. He could be totally the same, and I just haven't known him long enough to recognize his behavior as consistent or not.

Getting real sick of Rana's dad. -angriest face- Her mom seems alright, but doesn't seem to have a ton of influence in her husband's decisions, or she's just been cautious of speaking out.
Aldik is definitely my favorite character, aside from the boys (of whom I prefer Wyl, I think).

Pacing and flow were both decent, and imagery was good, if a bit dragging. Overall, another good job!


Hope this was helpful!

- Hatt




User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:33 am
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said

I liked the way that you slowed the story’s tempo to bring us closer to the inner struggle that Rana is experiencing. The mother extending a comforting helping hand in the moment of Raa;s desperate need for a help is a beautiful touch. The pausing to play the piano and the way she plays it according to her own whims used to represent her fervent desire for freedom of choice is also very effective. Made me feel happy that she had someone on her side to intervene. However, I am not-sure whether the offer to help is a sincere one as yet


Suggestions

Aldik and Rana hug. Please note that as a reader I have to be told when a hug stops. Otherwise I imagine all the subsequent dialogue happening while they are still hugging. I kniow that the hug had to end since she is suddenly descried sitting away from Aldik. Exactly where during the conversation they released one another is unclear.

Also, as a male reader I identify with the young man Aldik and am familiar with how the male body feels when it comes into close proximity with a female body. Please note that in a normal healthy young human male such close bodily contact with a female causes an erection. So the question naturally arose, is Aldik gay?

Is Aldik male or female? First Aldik is called a “her”. Then Aldik is called a “he”.

They sat in silence for a long moment. Rana didn’t know how to answer. Aldik had spent her entire life lecturing her to stop being so bullheaded, to cooperate with her father and not draw unnecessary discipline. To behave. And now he was encouraging her sense of independence.


Reducing the number of times that the word Piano used would be nice.

....




Shady says...


Good points... I see now how I didn't make some of those things clear and will go back to edit. Aldik is a man -- the part you quoted was supposed to be "Aldik had spent Rana's entire life lecturing Rana to stop being so bullheaded" but I do see how that's not a clear sentence and I'll reword it.

Also, Aldik is not gay, but he is like 40, which I also don't think I made clear in the earlier chapters. I was kind of going for a fatherly/uncle-like feel for Aldik, but I do see how this scene would be completely different if he was her own age, and I'll try to make their relationship clearer.

Thanks for the help! :)




Be the annoying goose you want to see in the world.
— Welcome to Night Vale