z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Behind the Smile

by ScarredSecrets


Alright! This is a true story! (My story). I’m well aware that the rhythm got completely obliterated at the end. Yeah. I know that but I wanted to post it for the words ^^ Enjoy!



Behind the smile there is pain

Behind the laugh, forever rain

Behind the grin there are tears

Behind the smirk there is fear

All of this due to one thing

The screams and shouts that make

     ears ring

She puts on a smile, forces a laugh

All to evade her abusers wrath

She may make jokes, seem happy

       and joyful

Watch her with her dog and seems

       nothing but playful

But it’s a facade, sadly

She would give up her life gladly

But she doesn’t. Why?

Because of the only guy to see her

      cry

Her best friend, her rock, her

       foundation

With her till the end to heaven or

        damnation

Her secret crush, her hand-to-hold

He is warm-hearted while she is cold

Shoulder-to-cry on, therapist indeed

A little spark has been planted like a seed

In a time of distress

Mutual feelings are confessed

Awkward, yet casual

They still talk like usual

Whether in happiness or gloom

Something greater may bloom

Patience is key, and he has it

She sits pondering, feeling doubt, out of habit

The secret crush, though not so secret now

Leaves her feeling why and how

Why would he like someone liked her?

Who is weak and annoying, wishing to be heard

He is feeling perhaps the same way.

Her reasoning is obviously portrayed

In the truth that she tells

Honesty is like a wishing well

The way she listens

This does more than glisten

He is supportive and caring

Also goofy and daring

Respectful and kind

Understands her state of mind

Wait there is more

Both are alike at the core

They share a childish nature

Don’t care about each other’s social stature

When one is down, the other picks them up

They won’t give up

Until one is smiling and laughing for real

They don’t need to take one out for a romantic meal

Who knows what is to come of this pair

Is there room in each heart to spare?

Behind the smile and the pain, lies something great

There is no way to escape this inevitable fate


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
45 Reviews


Points: 1335
Reviews: 45

Donate
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:16 pm
Lives4Christ24 says...



This is a beautiful poem @ScarredSecrets






Thank you!



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 38
Reviews: 13

Donate
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 am
Myers wrote a review...



Okay, it seems like there is nothing left to review, everyone has put in a lot of effort in giving their expertise. You may or may not agree with what i say here and I do apologize if I appeared harsh :)

In poetry, I tend to be simple enough to be understood easily, what's the point of writing something if your readers have to keep the google tab open, it is not like every reader here is a Keats or a Wordsworth.

But, to make it strike the readers' hearts and minds, we do use compelling words. We don't say it like "pen is red, the ink is blue...my dear friend I love you", it was simple enough to understand the love for the dear friend, but was that love based just around the pen and the ink ?

You don't have to force every word to rhyme. I found your poem at its best in the end, I felt like the writer was gradually feeling the weight of the emotions. In the beginning, it all felt to me like "the pen is red and the ink is blue".

You are young, I suggest you review other's works as much as you can, compare them all with one another, this way you'll learn a lot. You have the potential, keep it up :')






Thanks for the review! Unfortunately this poem doesn%u2019t apply to me anymore but it was just puppy-love. I like the honesty put into this review!





Thanks for the review! Unfortunately this poem doesn%u2019t apply to me anymore but it was just puppy-love. I like the honesty put into this review!



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:50 am
Radrook wrote a review...



Radrook here to provide,
a review from which you can't hide.
So better get ready to listen.
Cuz I just got out of prison.
And aint in no prattling mood.
So just sit andah listen up dude!

All joking aside, please feel free to reject any suggestion found to be unhelpful. If indeed I offend, apologies since it is not intentional. That having been said:

Thanks for sharing this poem concerning two people who seem to have been born to be with one another. Finding a soul-mate like that is really a true blessing. I like the rhyming and the spontaneous way that the poem from from beginning to end, I can imagine someone reciting this like rap and pausing at critical points and picking up the rhyme again. Cool poem man.

Looking forward to reading more of your work.






Nice poem at the beginning ^^ Thank you that is what I imagine happening when I was writing it.





Nice poem



Radrook says...


I never wrote that review nor that poem.



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 318
Reviews: 13

Donate
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:56 am
GreyMatter wrote a review...



Hello there!
Most of the things have been covered in other reviews. I am going to only tell you what I felt reading your poem. I could see the way you felt, looking normal from the outside and anything but normal from within. I liked the pace at which the poem flowed. I liked that it was quick and did not hover at the same place. I do feel a little more could be explored about the emotions involved when both are together. The last line was kind of an anti climax. It implies that what is decided will happen. I would have liked it better had you left it unsaid or maybe justified it a bit more. If this is your true story, you are one lucky girl to find someone that cares so deeply for you. I wish you the best. Keep writing.






It is indeed true and thank you so much! I see what you%u2019re saying and will heed your suggestion.





It is indeed true and thank you so much! I see what you%u2019re saying and will heed your suggestion.



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:41 pm
BluesClues wrote a review...



So to bounce off what @TheBlueCat said about emotions and imagery/figurative language--

I think these two things often go hand-in-hand in poetry. The emotion in this poem falls a little flat, although the potential is definitely there because we see that the narrator has been abused and that the person she has a crush on is her best friend who has uplifted her through all of it. It falls flat because the narrator states everything in general terms, describing the love interest as "goofy and daring/respectful and kind."

I would want to see this poem dig deeper and get more specific - I think people don't often think of specific details as "imagery" but it counts! Rather than saying "goofy and daring/respectful and kind," consider details that would show this about this person. What are some fond memories the narrator has of this person's goofiness and kindness? Is there anything in particular he's said or done that really warm the narrator's heart? Including these details will really make us feel what the narrator feels about this person.

I'm also not sure about the end - it feels like the narrator is saying this relationship is doomed, but from what I read it sounds like the feelings are mutual? So I'm not sure where this tension arises from, unless it's the narrator's own insecurities. Which I guess is fine, thinking about that again. Maybe it's just that the insecurities should be mentioned further down in the poem, closer to the end, so that it ties together more clearly.






Thank you for the feedback! I will definitely consider your tips.



User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 1846
Reviews: 102

Donate
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:10 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat wrote a review...



Hello ScarredSecrets! c: Cat here for a quick review! Let's get started then, shall we?

Clarity
You got your point across really nicely, and after a second read through, it was perfect! Most poems are supposed to be read through more than once anyways. There are a couple places where you were beating around the bush, but you reeled yourself back in really quickly, so I won't pound you there.

Flow
I adore rhyming poems, mostly because I can't ever seem to do them well myself, but your rhyme scheme was a little inconsistent at the beginning. I however don't see what you were talking about with the rhyme at the end. I think it ends off very nicely!

Imagery
Imagery, I do have to say, is a little weak at points, but I don't feel compelled to tell you to add any. I think it has it's own weird way off marrying small imagery and more descriptive parts. The thing I love about strong imagery is that I can vividly see a picture in the poem, so I guess a little wouldn't hurt? I'd suggest adding metaphors and other imagery devices if you feel like adding any.

Emotion
Emotion is a little weak, especially in a poem like this that has the potential to have a lot of emotion poured into it. I'm not sure how to advise you to add more, but maybe add more of your thoughts and feelings? Those can add a lot of personal emotion in.

Specific line thoughts
There were a couple lines that felt a bit awkward and I wanted to show you them quickly.

Behind the laugh, forever rain
I understand what you are trying to say here, but it comes across a bit awkwardly. Maybe go for something along the lines of 'it's forever raining'? I know it may mess with your rhyme scheme, but it just kind of doesn't work for me.

Watch her with her dog and seems

nothing but playful
My only thing here is that I would add a 'she' in between 'and seems'

Honesty is like a wishing well
This feels like an after thought kind of line just to keep rhyming. It may work a little bit better if you remove the 'is'.

There's also 6 lines where you suddenly made a new line just to continue a rhyme, and I'm just not a huge fan of it.

Overall, this is a wonderful poem that just needs a tiny bit of brushing up. Great job and keep writing! c:
~Cat






Thank you for the feedback. I will definitely take your advice!




The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris