death row

by Thisislegacy

almost there,

almost there,

almost there. 

always as silent 

no voices interrupting my thought

-

lost my chipper facade 

replaced with a genuine happiness. 

my eyes started to smile along with my mouth.

with the excitement of a prisoner in lock-up, 

walking to death's row

-

Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here for a review. Any offense is unintended. Apologies beforehand if it happens.

Thanks for sharing this poem concerning a person who is about to be executed after waiting on death row for who knows how long. The way that he speaks makes me conclude that it had been a long time. It also makes me wonder whether this was one of those individuals who wanted to die all along and committed a crime to get himself on death row. After all, some people commit suicide by forcing the police to open fire on them. So this idea isn't as far-fetched as it might at first appear.

In any case, the poem does very effectively capture that moment of relief when the prisoner finally realizes that his suffering is about to come to an end. This might cause some readers to conclude that the prisoner is an atheist who doesn't believe in the possibility of punishment after death in the same way that religious hell-firists do. Such beliefs would definitely interfere with that calmness described. So it is safe to assume that he doesn't.

Also, he says that there isn't a voice to distract him. So that rules out the usual priest mumbling verses as the prisoner is led along to the chair, gas chamber, gallows, or the death via injection room.

Suggestion:

Just something that has to be tweaked.

Please note that the prisoner cannot be walking towards death row since he has been on death row before he started to walk. How he has already been on death row is described below.

Death row is a special section of a prison in the United States, that houses inmates who are awaiting execution after being sentenced to death for the conviction of a capital crime. Thirty-one of its 50 states and the federal government authorize this penalty.[1]

"Death row" is a term also used figuratively to describe the state of awaiting execution ("being on death row"), even in places where no special facility or separate unit for condemned inmates exists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_row

Looking forward to reading more of your work

Thisislegacy says...

Thank you for the information, I didn't know that. :)

EagleFly wrote a review...

Hi there Thisislegacy I am hear to do a review to you, ferst thing that I notest was that you are saying almost there to many times. lost my chipper facade this sounds a bit wered to me in some way, replaced with a genuine happiness. I think that this is just not going with the name of the poem, my eyes started to smile along with my mouth.this is sappasto be a poem about a death row and it does not sound like it to me, all that is reely said is that some of the ports seem like your doing something that's fun. so that is all that I can say about it so keep up the poem righting @Thisislegacy. :D

AnimalQueen wrote a review...

I like this. It makes you think. I can defiantly understand why a death row prisoner would long for death.

I actually don't agree with excuetion. If a man kills someone, and we kill him, what are we saying? I'm proud to be a hypocrite? It just frickin' makes no sense!

I kind of like how it's morbid. It's not because I'm morbid, it's because this poem isn't like all the others, and that's good. Difference is a good thing. I'm not saying that in a bad way, I honestly think it improves upon the poem.

I can understand why the prisoner in the poem is happy. Jail is an awful place. Another thing I object to about our society, but I'll rant about that later.

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham