a book I've been working on

by kiwi63

To the readers, here's a little backstory. The girl's name is Ashlynn. Her parents are pretty rich, but they ignore her, and don't care much about her, so they sent her to a boarding school named Feather Ryter Boarding School. They paid everyone to be nice to her, but she really doesn't want that. She is very independent, she doesn't trust many people. She has dark brown hair and bright silver-blue eyes. She keeps a diary, and her favorite food is pizza. I know that doesn't sound like a very important detail, but later on in the story, you'll get it. This is the first of many uploads for this book that I randomly thought of one day, so if it doesn't have very good grammar when I first upload it, just tell me in the comments please... so, enjoy the story!

Dear Diary,

Today is Christmas Eve. The first christmas I’ve spent in this dump. People are running around, scurrying for presents for their children. I don’t know what it’s like to get presents. I’ve never gotten any. Well, maybe when I was little, but I don’t remember anything. You see, my parents don’t send me presents. All of the other kids are getting presents here, other than me. While the others are running around, showing each other the presents they got, I’m just sitting in the corner, reading a book I’ve read about a thousand times. But, you know what? I’m fine with just that. I’ve never needed any presents. They’re just something that parents give to their children to keep them in line. In truth, no one needs presents. So I’m fine. That’s all for now. Bye, diary.

Chapter 1: The day my parents sent me here

It was on my tenth birthday, actually. I don’t remember much of my life before I was here. The only thing I remembered about my trip here was arriving at this dump. I was only ten, so I was nervous, but I really had nothing to worry about. People I didn’t know welcomed me left and right. I liked the headmaster the most though. He didn’t treat me like I was rich. The headmaster here is like my only parent. He treats me like he treats his son, probably better though. His son is a stupid jock-type dude who thinks he’s super cool. But still, he’s like my brother. Anyways, I’ll tell you about my first day in school.

So, the day before, the headmaster had told me I would be starting the next day, so I should get ready. I was even more nervous than when I first got here. Since I came here on my birthday, and my birthday is christmas, everyone was on break, except the teachers, so I only met the teachers. I went to bed with butterflies in my stomach. I didn’t know how my first day would turn out. I didn’t know what would happen the next day. Would they like me? Would they be nice to me? Yeah. back then I actually cared about stuff like that. Pretty stupid, right?

When I woke up the next day, I was so nervous, I felt like I would throw up. I quickly put my uniform on, and pulled my hair up. I got ready and walked out of the room. My first class was english with Mr. Caratwe, but since his name was so hard to say, I call him Mr. Carrot. Now that I’ve been here for so long, he’s fine with it. He doesn’t let other call him that though. Anyways, back to the story. So, I walked into the classroom scared out of my wits, only to see no one there, yet anyways. The teacher was there, so I walked up to him and asked him where I sat. He looked up, and saw it was me. He smiled a huge fake smile, and got up. It’s like he thought I couldn’t tell the difference from a real and a fake smile. He showed me where my seat would be. Right by a window.

I sat down and set my bag down. Then, the people started coming. First, a couple of giggling girls, then a couple of annoying jocks, then the rest of the people came in, a big range of boys and girls. They all took their seats, and waited for the teacher to start talking. Once the kids quieted down, Mr. Carrot stood up, and said,

“Girls, boys, we have a new student today. Ashlynn, why don’t you come up here and talk a little about yourself?” I got up, and walked to the front of the class. I cleared my throat.

“Hi. I’m Ashlynn Singer, but just call me Ash. My parents are Delilah and Richard Singer. I’m sure many of you have heard of them, but please don’t treat me differently because of that. Um, that’s all.” As I walked back, everyone’s eyes were on me. Their mouths were hanging open so wide that you could fit about three pencils in them. I guess they knew who my parents were. They’re almost as rich as Bill Gates. So, they’re pretty famous. The silence was broken by the teacher, finishing up my introduction.

“So, Ash has moved here all the way from Brazil. You see that gorgeous tan, that’s what you get in Brazil. Anyways, I hope you guys will be nice to her. Uh, some things about her, she’s very athletic. She plays soccer, football, basketball, baseball, hockey and like pretty much any sport you can think of. She likes to read, any book you give her, she can read it. Whether it be a huge chapter book, or a novel, or just a comic book, she can read it within an hour. Uh, what else? She came here over winter break, on christmas actually. Um, oh! Her birthday is on christmas, which means she has the same birthday as Jesus!” He paused, waiting for laughter.

(crickets chirping)

“No one? Ok. Uh, anyways, hmm. Uh, Ash, do you have any more to say about yourself?” Then he mouthed ‘help me out here’ then put his hands together, pleading me. I mouthed back ‘fine, but you’re paying me back’ His face lit up.

“Okay, Ash, come on up!” I walk back up and sat down.

“Let’s see. Uh, well, huh, hmmm, anyways, oh, um.” the kids burst out laughing. I was imitating the teacher, but the teacher wasn’t paying attention. Then I really added more.

“What Mr. Carrot said was just enough, and I don’t think that you really need to know that much about me, but the teacher begged me, so let’s get into it. I came from Itu, Sao Paulo. I don’t know if you know where it is, but it’s in Brazil. And this tan, it’s not from being in Brazil. I’ve had this since I was been born. But I’m sure you can get a great tan there. Anyways, I’m an only sibling. I’m not used to being by so many people, so sorry if I sound uncomfortable. Like Mr. Carrot said, I like to read. I am currently reading The Girl Who Played with Fire. Many people couldn’t finish it, from what I’ve heard. Okay. now even I’m bored. I’m done.” When I finished talking, I looked over at the teacher. He was snoring as loud as a trumpet. I got up, and walked back to my seat. The teacher’s head finally slumped down onto his desk, and he threw his head up as his snoring stopped.

“Wha? Uh? What’s, uh, going on? What happened?” the class laughed, then someone said,

“You were sleeping again, Mr. Caratwe!” then the class laughed again. He was laughing, then he looked serious.

“Hey, I wasn’t sleeping, I was resting my eyes, ok? What no one knows, no one needs, right?”

The class erupted with laughter.

“Okay, back to the teaching. What were we going to talk about? Oh, yeah… math! Sounds fun, am I right?” everyone in the class groaned except for me. I didn’t see why math wasn’t fun. You get to calculate numbers, and divide, and multiply, and so many more things. The thing is, back then I was not acquainted with the day’s ‘trend’. But whatever.

Anyways, that’s not very important. Mr. Carrot started to talk about how to find the y-intercept on a graph, which, I already knew. 

camusic wrote a review...

Instead imitating the teacher I’d put mocked just so it’s more clear what she’s doing but that’s probably just me. Another thing that’s probably just me is when she’s like well the teacher asked me to I’d probably be more but sense he needed me to or something I don’t know that’s just me. When he wakes up you should have him say Let’s see. Uh, well, huh, hmmm, anyways, oh, um. Just a thought. I personally enjoy math and I’d probably say who doesn’t like figuring things and out. Math is the one thing that always follows the rules. Spelling on the other hand... But it was I really fun read I enjoyed it. I related with the trend part. Oh and again just if it were me I’d make it so like after this she makes friends with like a bunch of nerdy guys because let’s be honest if anyone knows how to make an incredibly funny joke it’s a nerd (no one my use of nerd to offense I’m a nerd myself) Fun read I’d love to see where it goes.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:47 pm
Radrook wrote a review...

Thanks for sharing this very entertaining story about a foreign student’s experience in a new school. What really drew me in initially was the mention of a dump. It seemed humorous and I greatly enjoy humor. Aso, because it describes a situation I grew up hearing about all the time concerning how some kids get gifts while others had to watch. Then I was captivated by the simplicity of the language which the author chooses in order to convey the age of the speaker and her adolescent personality. I really enjoyed the description of the teacher’s personality and how he permitted her/him? to call him Mr. Carrot but no-one else. I liked the way that you brought out the general ignorance that many have about people from other countries. The assumption that all Brazilians are tan or inevitably become tan is a very fine example.

The teacher’s smile is described as insincere. That creates the expectation that will try something dishonest eventually. If this is not going to happen, then it's best to leave it out. However, it did create tension and added drama tothe scene. mentioned.

Christmas and English are proper nouns and should get capital first letters.

All in all a very skillfully written story. Look forward to reading more of your work.

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.
— Henry David Thoreau