How Was Your Day? - Chapter 21.2

by Que

Finnley began to draw out the spell he intended to use, not realizing until that moment that he'd memorized it, or knew it well enough to fill in the gaps. When he was finished sketching the spell, Mr. Vaughn cracked open the book to confirm it.

"Everything is set up right," he said approvingly. "Now comes the hard part. You know the words you need to activate it, but it's more than that. The spell is going to take energy from you, but only with your permission. You will be completely in control of your spell, even if you don't feel that way."

"I'm not sure I understand," Finnley said. He could imagine the spell using energy, costing him in some way, but controlling it? All the control seemed to be in the spell itself, in the words he had written to direct it.

"Well, when you activate it, it begins to draw power," Mr. Vaughn explained. "Not very much, mind you, since this is a small spell. Still, as long as the spell is working, it will be taking something from you. This is completely dictated by you -- you can make the spell a bit more powerful by feeding it more energy, and if you have several active spells, you can prioritize. The spell cannot take from you any more or less than you are willing to give. Does that help?"

“It’s better,” Finnley admitted. “Maybe it’s something easier to understand while I’m doing it myself.”

“That’s probably true. Well, are you ready then?” Mr. Vaughn asked.

“Yes.” He was decided now.

“Good. It’s just a sheet of paper, and since there’s no one sleeping to defend, the energy draw is going to be nearly nothing. Now, say the words, and stay calm.”

Taking a deep breath of the warm attic air, Finnley said the activation as clearly as he could. As soon as the last word had left his mouth, the spell lit up before his eyes, sending him scrambling backwards. The spell immediately went back to normal, leaving Finnley startled and unsure. As much as he’d seen Mr. Vaughn do spells, he hadn’t quite been ready for his own to do the same thing, to see the light that represented his own magical abilities. Somehow, he hadn’t been quite sure it would work.

Mr. Vaughn had been quietly laughing, but now his face straightened, leaving only a glimmer of a grin. “Well done. Scared you a bit, but I’m sure it won’t happen next time. You physically pulled away from the spell, but you also closed it off internally, which is why it stopped working. You didn’t keep it going long enough to get the feel for it. Try again.”

Finnley once again recited the proper words, then stared in wonder as the spell glowed a sort of silvery blue. He smiled at the spell, and at Mr. Vaughn’s direction, searched inside himself for where the energy was coming from. It was really quite strange, but he could understand much better now what Mr. Vaughn had meant.

“You’re doing quite well with this,” Mr. Vaughn observed, but Finnley only shrugged.

“It’s not that hard. And it doesn’t take a lot of energy, like you said.”

“Still, you’ve got the talent,” Mr. Vaughn mused. “You better not get too confident. A little fear would do you good, so you don’t use magic when you shouldn’t. There are still some things you should worry about.”

Despite the warmth and coziness in the old fashioned attic, Finnley shivered a bit. “Don’t worry,” he said, “I’ve still got plenty to be afraid of.”

“Alright then. Draw out the spell one more time on a different piece of paper and activate it, then I’ll let you go.”

Just a few minutes later, Finnley was out the door, books tucked under one arm as he hurried through the streets of the small town. Without thinking, he bounded up to Mia’s neighbor’s house and knocked on the door. A petite, older woman answered and let him inside, where Mia rushed up to him. It was only then that he remembered his plan had relied on stealth.

“Uh, Mia,” he said awkwardly. “Hey.”

“Hi,” she replied, eyebrows shooting upwards. “What brings you here… with your magic books?” As soon as she said the words, her eyes widened and she pulled him along into the guest bedroom that had become hers — he could tell by the presence of plants clustered about the room. She shut the door behind the two of them and scrunched up her eyes. “Almost got caught with you and your magic. It’s not about magic, is it?”

“Actually…” In the middle of thinking up a lie, Finnley floundered and decided to go for the full truth. “I was worried about your nightmares. I found a spell that I thought might help, and Mr. Vaughn said I could do it and… I just wanted to help,” he finished lamely.

Mia still looked suspicious, but after a moment curiosity overcame her suspicion. “Can I see it?” she asked.

Finnley showed her the bookmarked page — he had been too cautious to dog ear it. “It’s this one. It’s supposed to help with sleep, so that you won’t be troubled by nightmares.”

Mia considered it for a moment. “I’m game,” she said with a shrug. “Well, as long as my parents don’t find out.”

“They won’t,” Finnley assured her. He flipped her pillow over and, with her permission, began to draw the spell out on the back of it.

“It’s so tiny,” Mia commented. “Will the size affect how effective the spell is?”

“It shouldn’t,” Finnley said evenly, though the thought had never crossed his mind and he wasn’t entirely sure if it was true. “The only thing that should matter is how much energy I put into it. And it should have no noticeable effects for you, other than the disappearance of the nightmares, hopefully.”

“Sounds pretty good, actually,” Mia said. “I… those nightmares scare me more than I care to admit to anyone.” She looked at the ground, and Finnley went over to hug her. “Thank you,” she whispered. 

Panikos wrote a review...

Hiya, Querencia! Pan dropping in again. Let's get to it!

I like that magic involves has an instinctual side to it as well as being quite a technical pursuit. It's a good balance of the precise and the mysterious.

the spell lit up before his eyes, sending him scrambling backwards

Give us more detail about what the spell actually looks like. What colour is it? How bright is the glow? Does it have a particular sound? Or even something more unusual like a scent?

He smiled at the spell, and at Mr. Vaughn’s direction, searched inside himself for where the energy was coming from. It was really quite strange, but he could understand much better now what Mr. Vaughn had meant.

Is there any kind of comparison or description that you could come up with to make this sensation easier to visualise? Is it physical? Can he feel it in his stomach, his chest? Or is it just a mental thing? I'd like to have a better idea of how it actually feels to control the energy.

she pulled him along into the guest bedroom that had become hers — he could tell by the presence of plants clustered about the room.

I love that Mia has managed to surround herself with house plants even while staying in a house that isn't hers. It's like plants are just drawn to her life moths to flame.

“Sounds pretty good, actually,” Mia said. “I… those nightmares scare me more than I care to admit to anyone.”

I still find it weird that the actual content of the nightmares hasn't come up in conversation yet. Finnley hasn't even wondered about it. I don't know if you're holding back on it for a reason, but it does seem like the kind of thing Finnley would muse about even if he felt too shy to ask Mia about it outright.

Overall, my thoughts on this chapter are pretty similar to my thoughts on the previous one. I'm still loving finding out more about the magic. I feel like you have a really good system worked out and I really want to see Finnley tearing his hair out over the arrangement of a really tough spell at some point. I feel like he might have more difficulty with the control side of things rather than the academic side, because he seems to be getting along with the magical language and diagrams pretty well.

As I mentioned in an earlier review, I feel like this whole plotline would carry more weight if Mia's nightmares felt like they'd been a consistent problem. She said in chapter twenty that she hadn't had this nightmare since she was a little kid, so it feels weird that she's talking about it now like it's something that's completely incapacitating. I mean, it can't be pleasant, but it doesn't feel like the most pressing problem a character could have in a story like this.

Still, I am beginning to wonder if this spell is going to have unforeseen complications. I sort of hope it does, because that would make the whole plotline feel like it had a stronger point to it.

~Pan

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hi Que!

I've been reading through the chapters up to here but been too busy to review them, but now I hope I'll be able to catch up to the ones in the GR.

I love the magic system here. I think it's a great idea to cast spells by a combination of symbols and voice magic. And it's also methodical, perhaps almost technical. What I'd like to see in the rest of the story is maybe not only successful sides here, but also the dangers. I believe that magic is like a knife--it's immensely useful for stuff like work in the kitchen or in survival situations, but dangerous if you cut yourself or if it's used as a weapon. Mr. Vaughn's warning on NOT being overconfident might somehow play out later?? Anyway, I'm looking forward to understanding the deeper parts of the magic later on.

I thought Finnley's surprise after casting the spell made a lot of sense. It was understandable that Finnley'd be unsure about how everything worked. Even though he's talented, in the beginning I'm pretty sure there'd be bumps on his progress in learning magic. But as much as I liked his initial reaction, I also felt as though he was too ready to cast the spell again. I'd have imagined him calming down and gathering up his nerve (?) again to draw it out once more. I'm also wondering if there were any visceral responses like his heartbeat picking up a bit or his hands going clammy. I don't expect them to be so strong, but perhaps adding a line or two about it might help?

In "Just a few minutes later", I feel as though a scene break would benefit ? It's a pretty big jump--inside the attic to outside--it wasn't too confusing to me, but it felt a tad abrupt. Maybe a more descriptive transition like "After Finnley had cast the spell one more time and waved good-bye to Mr. Vaughn, he bounded..."

Maybe one extra little note I have here is that I would have liked to see more of Mia's curiosity of the spell. I mean, I can imagine her looking at the symbol, but it would be nicer if it were more obvious. Maybe she's watching over Finnley's shoulder as he writes it down and maybe tracing it herself over the sheets with the thoughts "So this is really going to work, huh?" Or something like that.

The hug at the end was sweet <3

Anyway, these comments above are just my opinions and some may be completely off to helping you improve your story, but I hope this helps.

-Ink

Que says...

Thanks for returning to this. <3 I've missed having your reviews.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 am
neptune wrote a review...

Hello again, Querencia! I reviewed your last chapter and am back again since I see this piece here in the green room! I also thoroughly enjoyed the previous chapter (though not knowing much about the plot since I jumped right in) so I'm excited to get the chance to review this one. :D

Also, I'm not sure if I said this in my review from earlier on, but I apologize if I don't quite understand the premise of this. I'll try to review major concepts and the writing style in general, not the plot. Hopefully I'll refrain from giving false plot development feedback. If I do get something wrong please let me know!

It's very late where I am, so I don't know if this is just my eyes, or if this wasn't mentioned/mentioned earlier on, but I'm confused with what spell Finnley is casting? It was on paper but I'm unsure of what the purpose of the spell is? What does it do? I think this must be mentioned in earlier chapters because I'm guessing based on the end of the chapter that it helps cure nightmares. It constantly was being referred to as 'the spell' and I'm wondering if there is a name to it?

Anyway, I thought the sudden practice of the spell shift to Mia's house was a little abrupt. One minute Finnley is struggling to practice a spell (which I assume is the one to help Mia?) and the next he is about to use it on Mia. The plot in this chapter definitely has much more context than last chapter, in my opinion, but the awkward and sudden shift in setting and climb in plot of this chapter was rushed.

(What if the spell backfires/doesn't work? >.>)

I don't have much history with Mia and Finnley's relationship, but Mia seems awfully comfortable with Finnley's spell casting skills. Honestly, if someone were to put a spell on me to not have any more nightmares, I'd be all for it, but I would be sure it were someone who knows what they were doing. Finnley seems a little confident, yet also slightly new at this whole spell thing? I suppose Mia is desperate to rid the nightmares from her sleep, but yikes... That's a lot of trust.

I enjoyed this chapter much more than the last one! I'm seeing some good progress in plot and power with Finnley here, and things are definitely taking place. I feel like last chapter was a filler/informational chapter; the headway towards bigger events. And now, we're getting even closer.

Hopefully this review helped. If you have any questions please ask!

Que says...

Woah I don't think I got a notification for this. 0.0 Uh, anyway, this is late, but thanks for the review!

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann