z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Fairy Lights

by Mari1901


I’ve always found seeing the ocean soothing. I don’t particularly like swimming. Never even considered joining the team in High School, but the presence and the sound always had a way of loosening the tension in my neck. I doubt it will work a miracle today, but whatever helps.

I followed the hostess to the table in the area that was reasonably secluded. Waves lapping just a few meters away and fairy lights glowing. It looked too…romantic. “Is this table okay?” She said in the upbeat tone I had learned to use as well when I worked in costumer service.

I eyed back inside, saw the people and the cheerful atmosphere, and then turned back to her. “Uh, yes. Here is fine.” I smiled and took a seat.

“Excellent! Your waiter will be here in a minute.”

“No worries I am waiting for someone.”

I texted Gareth where I was so he could find me. He arrived fifteen minutes later. It was not reproachable because I had arrived ten early from the time we had set. The lights casted a yellow aura around him.

“You have to stop being so punctual, princess. It makes me feel like I am always running late.” He leaned down to kiss my lips and took his seat.

“Next time I promise I will linger in the shower for longer.” I looked down at the menu even though I had already made my decision before arriving. Something light, definitely, like a salad. But today I thought I shouldn’t order the one I liked best with shrimp. My stomach had been feeling funny all day.

“Make sure to invite me.” He slipped his hand into mine.

“Sorry?” I said and drew it back to take my glass of water.

“To the shower…” He said it slowly like he was afraid I wouldn’t be able to catch his meaning again.

“Oh, I am sorry. I’ve been a tad distracted today.”

He frowned and leaned forward to tuck my hair behind my ear. “What is worrying you?”

“Nothing. Well, no, yes. I mean, I actually wanted to talk to you about—”

“Are you ready to place your order, guys?” The waiter startled me and I jerked my head up. He realized what he had done, and color crept all over his pimply face. “I-I could give you one more second if you want to finish looking at the menu.”

Gareth gave him his signature smile that was almost guaranteed to put everyone at ease. “That is quite alright. I’ll be having a Pineapple Fiesta Chicken Wings and a bear. And this lady over here wants lemonade and a shrimp salad.”

“Of course. I will be right back with your order.” He dashed off leaving us virtually alone again.

I brought the glass to my lips but didn’t sip. “I can speak too.”

“Come again?”

“I can speak—to the waiter, I mean. I could have asked for my own food.”

“Oh, I just—you always ask for that. I assumed.” He raised his hand. “But we can call him if you want to change it.”

“No, no.” I reached for his hand, so he would lower it. “I will eat that.”

“Then I don’t understand the problem.” He said and drew patterns in my hand with his fingertips.

“Well, that I am not a child. I can speak for myself.” I pulled to cross my arms over my chest but he held on tighter to my hand

He rolled his eyes. “Princess, it is not such a big deal. You can order for me the next time if it will make you happy. Now please relax.” He leaned forward and brushed his lips to mine.

“It is not that,” I said while he still was too close.

“Then?” He tugged at my bottom lip.

“Don’t. We are in public.”

“Everybody who sees you will understand why I need to do it.”

“I said no.” I tried to squirm back all that my chair would allow.

“Fine.” He clasped his hand around my neck, brought me closer to kiss my forehead, but then finally released me. “I’ll save it for later.” He winked and pulled that smile again.

I cleared my throat.

“So have you thought what are we gonna get your mother for Christmas?” He spoke before I could and completely sidetracked me.

“No? I guess, maybe a book… or a shirt. Didn’t she complain the other day that she didn’t have nearly enough colors in her closet?”

“We better make up our minds quickly. The closer we get to the holidays, the higher the prices get.”

“Yeah. Honestly, I hadn’t been thinking about it much. You know? The semester is about end and I still need to turn in a bunch of papers.” The nasty feeling of anxiety started to gnaw at my stomach. The amount of work I had to do could be better measured in piles rather than pages. I hadn’t been putting it off, but still the load seemed unsurmountable.

“You always worry too much about school. Worst that can happen is that you drop out and join me.”

“Not funny.”

“Not a joke. But, princess, seriously you always stress yourself into being sick and then get good grades. I don’t see the point in repeating the pattern.”

“You say it like doing well in school is not worth it.”

“It is, but when you are applying for a job they’ll ask for a title, not a report card with tons of golden stars on it.”

I sat back on my chair and crossed my arms. The action was twofold. I was also starting to feel cold—the night seemed oddly chilly for this part of the country. “You are wrong.”

“You have such pretty eyes, but you choose to glare at me all the time. Breaks the magic.” He chortled. “I am not trying to fight you know. I just said it because you really shouldn’t put so much effort.”

“I meant it. You are wrong. Getting good grades did get me…” I trailed off. We were getting dangerously close to what I wanted to talk about, but we were approaching it the wrong way. The atmosphere was simmering.

“Got you what exactly?”

“There is a program in the university—I spoke to the office the other day to see if I qualified. I doubted it, but I do. Qualify, I mean. I asked for the information not thinking I would actually carry through with it, but, you know, now it just seems dumb not to. Like wasteful.”

His face had lost all traces of a smile. He reached for both of my hands this time and enveloped them in his. They felt huge and moist around mine. “What does—what is this ‘program’?”

“I can take a year of my studies in Eastwood.”

“That rich kid university in Tebund?” He raised one eyebrow.

“That’s the one.” I nodded slowly.

“You wouldn’t get along well with that bunch. I bet they’d eat you alive the first chance they got.”

My eyebrows puckered. “They have some of the best courses in my—”

“What am I even supposed to do that far inland?” He snorted. “Mighty difficult to move my diving business to a lake with toxic waste.”

“You don’t have to come with me.” I wanted to move away my hands. They felt disgustingly clammy.

“And send a pretty girl such as yourself all on her own? Guys would be fawning all over you to say the least.”

“I really want to go.”

“I get it, princess. But you are not going alone, and I can’t drop everything on your every whim.” He chuckled again, but his eyes held a deep rooted annoyance. Like he had overindulged me with this conversation and now it was time for us to move on into another topic.

“I was not asking for permission.” I took a deep breath. “And I didn’t expect you to come with me.”

“What are you suggesting then? That we should break up?” He said it as if that could only happen in a parallel universe. Something so far from reality that it was not worth our consideration.

I looked at him straight in the eye, but was unable to speak. I wanted to say the words. I had rehearsed an entire speech in front of the mirror, but now a simple “yes” would have done the job.

The waiter harrumphed to make his presence known this time. “A shrimp salad for the lady.” He said as he placed my meal in front of me. “And wings for you, sir.”

“Ah, thank you very much.” He smiled. “I am nigh starving.”

“You are very welcome.” The waiter smiled back and was quick to leave again.

Gareth turned back to me. “You know, I think the book is a better idea for your mom.”

“What?”

“For Christmas, silly.” He laughed and moved one of his hands to cradle the back of my head. “You are really adorable when you look confused like that.” He kissed me softly and then tugged my bottom lip.

We haven’t spoken about it again.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 224
Reviews: 10

Donate
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 pm
camusic says...



Aww her calls her princess that’s so cute!! You can definitely tell a girl wrote this cause I mean how many guys like this do you know? Instead of saying “Don’t. We are in public.” I’d probably say “Don’t silly we’re in public remember!” I said turning red. But that’s just me. Moist wouldn’t be my choice of words to describe someone’s hands. What she’s going to break up with him. *sniff* Wait what gah I’m torn I think that she should go to her school but I also think those kinda guys are rare. Write fast I want to see what happens!




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 224
Reviews: 10

Donate
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 pm
camusic wrote a review...



Aww her calls her princess that’s so cute!! You can definitely tell a girl wrote this cause I mean how many guys like this do you know? Instead of saying “Don’t. We are in public.” I’d probably say “Don’t silly we’re in public remember!” I said turning red. But that’s just me. Moist wouldn’t be my choice of words to describe someone’s hands. What she’s going to break up with him. *sniff* Wait what gah I’m torn I think that she should go to her school but I also think those kinda guys are rare. Write fast I want to see what happens!




User avatar
38 Reviews


Points: 1769
Reviews: 38

Donate
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 pm
writer1204 wrote a review...



Hey, there! Writer1204 here with a small review!

You know, I stumbled into your story quite by accident, and I really have no idea why--but it feels like I know your writing! It's almost like I know you. It's super weird, but I absolutely loved that.

Anyhow, story-wise, I thought it was a fairly simple plot. You didn't overdo it, which is something I essentially enjoy. You gripped the story line and brought it to the climax without it seeming forced or scripted. I do admit there were instances where I wanted to jump into the scene itself, grab Gareth by his neck, and throw him into the far, deep end of the ocean in hopes that I don't hear the word 'Princess' ever again. And perhaps it was just me, but this girl? Come on. She's close on the 'To-throw-into-ocean' list. Obviously it doesn't mean there's something wrong with your story--since clearly it was supposed to be this way and each story has a different meaning behind them--but she bugged me. All the way. (Truth be told, that means you did a splendid job with characters, bringing them to make the reader feel something is a trait every writer yearns to have.) And it wasn't only that. THE ENDING, though. Holy fuck. It's like you grabbed a baseball bat and swung it right into the reader's face. It was a different ending, and kudos for that. As I said, it's better to have unexpected sometimes, and you definitely delivered good content.

Overall, I thought it was a nice piece of work. Short, enjoyable, and very light but different at the same time.

Good job, and I hope I can see more of you around here. So weird that feeling of knowing you already. Oh well. Crazy writer stuff, right?




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 8

Donate
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:47 am
View Likes
HarshLynx wrote a review...



Hello there! Time for a review! Right off the bat, before I've even read any of the story I'm already invested solely off the title. "Fairy Lights" is a very enrapturing title and lead me straight to this piece. Don't take that for granted, a good title is very hard to find and arguably one of the most important elements in top seller. But that's a whole 'nother discussion all together.

So I have a strange style of reviewing as I read. And as I'm reading, I'm falling in love with your writing. The reason? Characterization. One of the five elements - and in my opinion the most important - of writing and you do an amazing job. The internal dialogue is perfectly balanced to the style of writing and the point of view that it just flows very naturally. Not to mention that I can immediately feel a connection with and to this character. She's just so believable! The more I read, the more I love this character.

The dynamic between her and Gareth is also skillfully written. These feel like real people to me.

Okay, I've finished and aahhhhh. I love this story line so much. The writing is skillful, the characters are believable, and the plot draws you in despite being so simple. I know writers hate to hear this since we're our own worst critic and always have to believe something is wrong with our work, but I cannot find anything here that needs critiquing. Excellent job!




Mari1901 says...


As a writer of course I believe everything I write is crap, but I don't mind at all when people tell me the opposite. Hahaha If anything it is encouragement to keep going. Thanks so much for the review and for being so sweet about it! <3



HarshLynx says...


Why of course! I tell only the truth.



User avatar
494 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 494

Donate
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:31 pm
View Likes
Holysocks wrote a review...



Hey there!

The thing I liked about this story was it's shining a bit of light on how some relationships can be. In a world full of media that tells us about Prince Charmings and Happy Endings, this story reminds us that there's some really unpleasant people in this world. But that's not even the best part, the best part is is you created a villain to your story, that isn't a monster. I mean yes, he's not ideal for this woman, but it doesn't mean he's a bad person. Sure, they're in what appears to be quite an unhealthy relationship, but still, he could still possibly redeem himself. That's pretty cool, because that's something not a lot of professional writers can do; create a villain that isn't all bad.

Though I will say, Gareth is not someone I like right now. I think our protagonist really needs to get out of this relationship because Gareth seems to be a bit of a control freak. And control freaks are just not good to have in your life. Though the thing I like about people/characters like Gareth, is there's a side to them that is very interesting. Controlling people can often come from a place where they weren't in control at all. They're afraid of losing control, and I think that's what makes characters like this very interesting, because they're not acting out of spite, or because they want to harm the person, they're acting out of fear. Or I think in most cases, anyway. But who knows.

I feel like the dialogue in this could be a little stronger. It feels a little stiff in the sense that it feels more cliche- like there's not a unique way that these two talk to each other. I guess the romance part of it seemed forced as well- I get that the protagonist is pulling away from him so that could add to some of that. But in general, it didn't feel like a real relationship. I'm not trying to be mean. I just mean for instance when he shows up and kisses her on the lips or when he calls her 'princess'... it feels a bit tacky? Maybe this was your intention. I could see it being that he's someone that likes to put a show on when he's with her, as part of the controlling thing. But I don't know. My advice to help the dialogue feel a little more real is to just listen to people (not movies/tv, REAL people) and just pay attention to how they talk and the things they say. It's interesting! When you start listening to people, you realize just how complex communication is and cultures and everything. It's beautiful. I'm going to link you to an article by a lovely Linguist here on YWS: Linguistics and Dialogue, Intro (it's actually a very interesting/funny read! I remember it as the "please pass the salt" article).

The ending was both disappointing, and awesome. I say this because I was really rooting for the protagonist! I really wanted her to stand up for herself and ditch mister control freak, go to her awesome university, and have a lovely life! So it was disappointing for me when it seemed to end where she kinda gave up. But at the same time, I know how hard it can be to leave a relationship like that, and how it ended is EXACTLY how it feels, trying to leave. It's like you're stuck in a nightmare, but the nightmare isn't quiiiite scary enough to wake you up. So you're trapped there.

I thought it was a splendid read! Keep it up, my friend! And I hope this helped you some!

-Holly




Mari1901 says...


Thank you very much for the riview! You are right that the word "princess" was supposed to feel like that, but I will definitely give that article a read. And by the way, you shouldn't feel bad about giving feed back because you don't come across as mean at all. I am here to be told the things that I could improve and not only to receive compliments.
Thanks again!!



Holysocks says...


You're welcome, Mari! And thanks for the confidence boost; sometimes I feel like I'm being too harsh lately with my wording! And yes I love that article! It may not apply much to the dialogue you got going on here (though it has stuff that applies to pretty well all dialogue I think) but even so, it's a really good article to read I found.



User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 29
Reviews: 49

Donate
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 pm
View Likes
lelu wrote a review...



Hi! First off, let me say that this is a good idea. You're smart to not automatically give your protagonist a perfect ending. Plus, the boyfriend is not the stereotypical pretentious jerk. He is a jerk, yes, but also with the potential to become something better. I would hate to have my bottom lip pulled like that, hahaha...Okay. Few flaws: Grammar is pretty good, but they barely ever use contractions when they speak to each other, which makes it seem like a story for younger kids or just awkward. Otherwise, I have a hard time finding problems. One is that "the lights casted a yellow aura around him." It should be "cast." I apologize for not putting this in a spoiler, as I'm not quite sure how to do that. Punctuation needs work here and there, though usually it's fine. Like me, you sometimes also fall into the snare of sentence fragments. For example, "Waves lapping just a few meters away and fairy lights glowing" is not a sentence by itself. Overall, this isn't that bad. Slightly disappointing that the girl doesn't manage to break up with him, but whatever...




Mari1901 says...


Hello!
Thanks for the review



User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 am
View Likes
Esthon says...



I really did love this piece of writing, so thrilling and grammatically flawless. Write more, I'll be waiting to read and learn from your amazing masterpiece.




Mari1901 says...


You are way too kind. <3




First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew