12+

Scott Wood/LightBringer chapter 1: Winter this way comes

by Boluk

I remember when my life was normal. When I was carfree A time When I was just a normal kid living a normal life and was worried about whether or not I was going to pass my math test instead of worried about whether or not I was going to live another night. It all started when I woke up for school that morning. for some reason I had something in the back of my mind, but I just couldn't find out what it was. I took a quick wash and changed my clothes. Then I walked over to pick up my backpack. when I came to it I saw a thick blue book and the second I saw it memories flooded through my mind like soldiers flooding an enemy base. four days ago I had to make a book report on "To kill a mockingbird" and I spent so long  enjoying myself I didn't know It was due tomorrow until now. 

I immediately started pacing around the room knowing it wasn't my fault, [Because it wasn't  because.....yeah I'm just lazy] But then I started smelling something  delicious. "Hey Scott" my dad yelled. "you'd better get down here fast or I'll feed your bacon and eggs to the dog."  "That's odd" I muttered to myself. Still I grabbed my book bag and walked downstairs to see my dad in his rarely worn red jacket With a smug grin on his face While he scraped some food of my plate to our dog Bristo. Next to him was my  mom in what appeared to be a brand new light brown fur coat which was kinda odd since It hardly even rains here much less snows

"Aren't you supposed to be at your job" I asked him. My mom gave me a puzzled look.  "You mean you don't know?" My dad asked.  He got up from his chair And walked over to the door. He opened it and and I was greeted by snow rocketing through the front door. It was as if I was in the middle of an Ice tornado! It was in this very moment I had a realization. "No school today!" I thought just a bit too loud. I felt like crying tears of joy  but my tears would probably freeze onto my face. My dad pushed the door shut with all of his strength. Excited I  went back upstairs and put on a few shirts along with my jacket. It was orange and puffy whenever I wore I felt like I was wearing jello. I was about to leave the house when my dad stopped me. "listen sport, You cant be trusted alone  after the whole party incident last week. "But dad i'm only twelve I can handle myself" I say in the most mature voice imaginable. before my dad can say anything else I open the door and rush outside to go to my friends house. It was truly a nice day in Phoenix Arizona

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 am
FantasyWriter76 wrote a review...

Wow, Boluk, I feel you should continue this story compared to your other story, Iceling! I'm FantasyWriter76, or Fantasy76 if you preferred. I'll review this story so get ready!

The plot is very interesting, and I'd like to see where it goes! The main character, Scott, unlike his basic name, I feel he is the relatable type character. I'd also like to know how this snowstorm occurred, makes for good intrigue!

The problems begin (in my opinion), in the beginning, the title. The title is very strange because it wasn't explained what it meant. Titles make you want to read the book because the title acts as a hook, basic English. But the title is never explained. You should add a prologue which explains the backstory, then get to the story. But that's just me. Secondly, grammatical errors and punctuation. Now I usually don't go deep into this in my reviews, but I suggest you install Grammarly. It's free and improves awkward sentences and punctuation.

And that was my review! Overall, a good read and definitely the better nominee to continue the story. I give this story, LightBringer Ch.1, 4 blizzards in Arizona out of 5!

Boluk says...

Joke reaction: Wow you seem to be reviewing a lot of my works lately. At least Monster wars is safe from your criticism....right. Real reaction: Noted I'll do all I can to make this better

Boluk says...

I say that a lot don't I?

Panikos wrote a review...

Hiya, Boluk! I noticed that this has been kicking around in the Green Room for quite some time, so I thought I'd pop in and give you a quick review. I'm going to focus on different areas in my critique and tell you what I liked and what to improve on. Let's go!

Grammar

Grammar is one of the more superficial issues, but it's still crucial to get right. Here's a quick list of all the things to keep in mind:

1) Keep an eye on your capitalisation. You have a habit of giving capital letters to words that don't need them, and you sometimes forget give a capital letter to the first word of a new sentence. Remember that 'I' always needs to be capitalised if it appears on its own. Most of the time you get all of that spot on, but it has to be consistent - it's a good idea to read through your work several times for typos before you post it up on YWS.

2) You're a bit shaky on your dialogue formatting and punctuation. I'll take a section from the chapter to illustrate:

"Hey Scott" my dad yelled. "you'd better get down here fast or ill feed Your bacon and eggs to the dog." "That's odd" I muttered to myself.

The most important thing to know about dialogue is you must start a new paragraph every time a new character speaks. If you don't, it gets incredibly difficult for the reader to follow the conversation. Punctuation wise, you're not far off, but you need to remember to close your dialogue with a comma, or sometimes an exclamation mark or question mark where appropriate. Keeping those rules in mind, the above quote should look something like this:

"Hey, Scott!" my dad yelled. "You'd better get down here fast or I'll feed your bacon and eggs to the dog."

"That's odd," I muttered to myself.

If you're ever not sure about how to present dialogue in writing, the best thing to do is to look at the dialogue in a published book. I mostly learnt the rules just by following the examples of good writers. It can be a bit of a headache to get your head around at first, but eventually it becomes automatic.

3) Watch your tenses. Most of the piece is written in the past tense, which is fine, but at the beginning and the end of the chapter you slip into present tense. You need to keep it consistent. As with the capitalisation problems, I think you'll be able to fix this quite easily if you just make sure you proofread your work a few more times. Tense slippage happens to us all.

Writing Style

Once you've cleared up the scattered punctuation problems, I think your writing style will be pretty competent. You're pretty good at description, though you could definitely be a lot more thorough; it would be good if you filled us in a little more on what the house looks like. When Scott's dad opens the door and the snow comes in, it would be good if you could describe how the cold air swoops in as well, just to root your description in more senses than the visual.

Probably my main issue with your writing style is how you choose to write the introduction to the story. Even though the idea of wind gods and demons and ghouls is all interesting to me, you're giving the game away much, much too early. I never like to see stories open with what is effectively a summary of the whole plot, because it feels like you're trying too hard to convince the reader that the story is worth reading. It also means I know exactly what to expect, which takes the mystery away.

You need to let the novel speak for itself. Scrap the exposition at the beginning and start the story where it starts - in this case, with Scott waking up, realising he hasn't done his homework, then finding out there's been a huge snowstorm in a place where it barely even rains. That will get us straight to the action, straight to the mystery, and will hold our attention a lot better.

Characters

It's obviously a bit early to be forming opinions, but Scott seems like a pretty fun narrator! You do a good job at capturing his voice and personality even though this piece is so short. I think a lot of people will be able to relate to him. He's quite different to how I was as a twelve-year-old, but I like his plucky attitude.

Plot

I think the plot has a lot of promise, and I definitely like the intrigue of starting with a snowstorm in a place that is usually very mild. It raises immediate questions and makes me wonder what could be going on. One thing that did perplex me was why it took so long for Scott to realise it had been snowing. Did he not look out of the window once while he was pacing around his room? And if there's an ice tornado outside, would he not have heard the wind? It just seemed like a bit of an oversight to me.

Still, it is a pretty solid opening. My main concern is that I don't think this is complete enough to be a chapter in its own right. You do get some pretty short chapters in novels, but they have to feel self contained and like a complete unit. This one feels like it drops off a bit out of nowhere. You have more scope to write about Scott voyaging out into the snow and meeting his friends, and you could dedicate a lot more time to him investigating the strangeness of it all. When we get to the end of the chapter, I want to feel like the story has progressed a little, and that the characters are in a slightly different place to when they started. Think of chapters as stitches in a seam, each one leading into the next. Each stitch (or chapter) should help to bring the beginning of the story a little closer to the end.

So, in short, I'd say that the best idea would be to extend this chapter. Tell us about what happens after Scott leaves the house and continue to draw out the mystery of the snow storm. Then you'll be on your way.

I hope this helped! If you've any questions about anything I said in this review, please don't hesitate to ask.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:53 am
Sunshine1113 wrote a review...

Hi there! Not sure how this hasn't gotten a single review in months, but alas! I shall review it :)

I'm not really going to do any grammar criticism here, just going to workshop your plot/setting/world building/characters.

I really think you have a very good start to a story here. I really want to know more about wind gods and why there's an ice tornado in the middle of Arizona! I do think this has lots of room for growth and elaboration. You hoped into this strange surrealist world very quickly and as a result you make your readers confused and it makes it harder to follow. Perhaps you can elaborate more on the "normalcy" part of Scott's morning, this will help slow your fast pacing. Maybe elaborate more on the setting, elaborate on why Scott starts randomly pacing (he doesnt seem to have a reason to?), elaborate why it's odd that the dad is about to feed Scott's breakfast to the dog? Also, I would elaborate on why your character is feeling the way that he is, his feelings don't seem to have a real reason to be having those feelings, they're just kind of random. I also think you could spend more time world building as this does not feel concrete, it's just a whimsical surrealist story and it's hard to imagine or picture with the lack of familiar objects and places to the reader.

Overall, I am really excited to see the next chapter in this story, it's a really good start, just try to elaborate the world and your characters :)

~Sunny

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind