12+

Dry Tears

by DeerInBacPac

I begin to shake, 

Consciously noticing the reappearing ache. 

And then I being to cry, the tears only dry. 

Never able to keep things at bay. 

To me, this is more then hell. 

And it is more then a monster. 

Now it is is only an unforgiving spell, 

Yet nothing is ever blissful. 

More then once things have crumbled, only ever the sound slight mumbles to others. 

Over and over I gasp for air, dry tears the only sign of being scared.  

Right now, nothing is okay,

Even when I am astray, even when things are fine. 

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 pm
zaminami wrote a review...

Hello Flumadiddle! Kara here for a (hopefully) quick review!

Give me your soul.

With that aside, I'm not the best at poetry but here we go!

Bold = grammar and flow issues.
Italics = suggestions and overall
Strikethrough = remove
Underline = krazy Kara komments.

I begin to shake,

Never able to keep things at bay.

To me, this is more then hell. {Hell is considered a swear. Put a language warning}

And it is more then a monster.

Now it is is only an unforgiving spell,

Yet nothing is ever blissful. {monster and blissful don't rhyme}

Over and over I gasp for air, dry tears {are the} only sign of being scared.

Right now, nothing is okay{.}

Even when {things are fine, even when they're astray.}

My interpretation:

Another depression poem, huh? Don't worry, I write a lot of those as well :wink:

Overall, I really liked! 8/10. You need to reword some of the lines and words, but otherwise the grammar is fine and I have no suggestions. I would maybe put some line breaks between the words, but that's my personal preference. Great job and keep up the great work!

Why haven’t you given me your soul yet? --

Kara

This review courtesy of

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:04 pm
Taslimalima says...

very nice . love to see more creations.some drops of tears can also explain lots.i have just read thrice. why don't bring some moist in your words?it will be more beautiful.thanks anyway.have a great day.

ThemagicalEbonyFox wrote a review...

Okay, time to catch up to the werewolves.
Hi Flumaddidle. Your resident poetry novice is back to get some more reviews done.
I'm not sure whether this is meant to be a rhyming poem as well as an acrostic, but either way I can't seem to identify a specific rhyming structure. It seems that even the poem doesn't know what to do with itself. Was this intentional?

Quick grammar thing:
"Now it is is only an unforgiving spell,"
"is" was written twice.

As with all your poems I can really feel the emotions that you put into your work. I can't even imagine what you're (or if it's not you the person in the poem) is going through. I'm still amazed that you can put these feelings into your poetry as well as making the poem deep, meaningful and well written.

Overall, another beautiful powerful poem filled with emotion. You seem to enjoy acrostics, but I would like to see you experiment with other styles in the future.
Ebony

DeerInBacPac says...

Thanks Ebony! It means a lot to me.

No problem. :)

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:51 am
Mathy wrote a review...

This is ZeldaIsSheik here, ready to review another one of your incredible masterpieces! Well, that might be exaggerating a bit, but your hidden messages and dark themes sure make them seem like pretty great poems to me! Let's begin reviewing!

The first thing I noticed was your next secret message, "I CAN'T ANY MORE." I personally like this, and it feels like a more fitting title for the poem than what you have put. Though "Dry Tears" is a good representation of how it feels to be broken inside. I really like how well you can put a simple emotional state such as a mental breakdown into words so fluently and vividly that it tears apart the very matrix of reality and seeps into a deeper part of me that I have long forsaken. The words occasionally rhyme, making the poem come to life and give the old words new meaning through the art of life, death, love, sadness, and eternity: poetry.

Now onto what your poem actually represents. It is apparent by the lines "I begin to shake" and "To me, this is more than hell" that the author is rather scared or emotionally damaged. Also, this line contained a spelling error. I corrected it. The "then" should be a "than" in this line. That's all I have to say for today. Have fun, and keep writing! ZeldaIsShiek- Out!

DeerInBacPac says...

Thanks Zelda! I don't write poetry much and this my second go at it. Should I tag you in the rest of my poetry works when I post more?

Mathy says...

Please do! And good job with your reviews! Together, we'll seize the day!

DeerInBacPac says...

Oh, yes we will! I wanna get my last.. 13 reviews in so then I can get 100 reviews in one month! Good job to you too!

Mathy says...

Thanks! Review Day is always fun! :D

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:16 pm

Charm says...

why did you tag me?

DeerInBacPac says...

I figured you might want to read this. I dunno. Sorry...

wordwing says...

oh my oh my fluma:)

DeerInBacPac says...

What wordwing?

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:58 am
popsicles wrote a review...

Dear Flumadiddle, first of all....I wish you allt he luck of the world I hope that helps...if I read this poem it looks not good...you feel a lot pain I think, right now? I hope it gets better for you...I know Life is sometimes harsh and it breaks us, we are so flexible! Life can be stupid and that let us cry. I hope you'll get over this difficult part?
Let me know how it is going please?
And the line ''right now nothing is okay''? well I think there must bes something that you can help? you know...write about it! that helps aways, maybe you can do that in a story? Or maybe you can talk about that with your parents or friends? I hope your days getting better :O
And you'll know what they say: NEVER GIVE UP!!! <333

Love: bree

DeerInBacPac says...

Bree, you have no idea how much reading that review just lifted my mood. Thank you so much.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:31 am

Hi there Flumadiddle! I have just a few suggestions and comments for your piece.

Overall Effect and Message
1) Overall, I thought this was an effective way to do an acrostic poem -- I know sometimes they can seem a little "gimicky" or juvenile, but the theme you chose as well as the message made the poem seem properly mature and sophisticated.

Use of Rhyme
2) I don't think that utilizing rhyme in this piece was effective. In poetry generally you really want the language to seem effortless and natural - like you could imagine thinking or feeling or saying those phrases. When you have really tight forms like acrostics or using a rhyme scheme the reader must be able to feel like the word wasn't put there for the sole purpose of fitting the form of the poem. The rhyming here seemed a bit forced and unnatural and there was no discernible pattern so for me it not only seemed distracting but random and messy. I am a big advocate of not rhyming if you're not going to stick to a consistent pattern.

Specificity/Conflict
3) Try to delve more specifically into the emotions here. The lines that I thought were most effective were the ones where you're really specifically describing the body movements - painting good imagery, but also revealing the speaker to the reader. The line about gasping and the first few lines about fighting off tears were well done and didn't seem cliche or forced at all.

Then as we get more into the poem there are a few lines that prevent a really vague conflict "a monster" and "an unforgiving spell" that are not "blissful" and "mumble". Basically to summarize the speaker presents the conflict as being "a bad monster that mumbles" --- this is hard to connect to because as the reader I know nothing of the specifics of the conflict -- it's like it's just a generic placeholder for the actual problem. Using the monster metaphor's fine, but it should become clear what that monster stands for. The same with the mumbling and the rest of the conflict -- as a reader I want a bit more background I want to understand what is going on so that I can have a connection with the speaker and form a connection with the piece.

Formatting
4)My last little comment is on formatting.
First off, I like that you observed correct grammar and did capital letters at the beginning of each line with bolded first letters -- this really helped make the poem look polished in my opinion and made the message pretty clear.

I would suggest combining the last two lines so that you don't have a random "e" at the end. Also it might help to chop down some of those longer lines a bit if you can just to keep the flow smooth and keep the poem looking clean on the page. But overall, it looked and read like a well-edited and polished poem
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice work! I look forward to reading more of your poems in the future.
And as always, if you have any questions about my review please drop me a comment or a PM and I can try to answer them! :)

~alliyah

DeerInBacPac says...

Thank you alliyah! I will get to work on fixing the mistakes immediately.

alliyah says...

You're welcome! :) Looking forward to reading your next piece!

DeerInBacPac says...

Would you like me to tag you in the next poem?

alliyah says...

Yeah, go for it! You're also always welcome to drop in to my "Will Review For Food" thread - alliyah's poetry reviews - if you're ever in need of a review!

DeerInBacPac says...

Gotcha!

"I never expected that I should be a queen so soon."
— Alice's Adventures in Wonderland