z

Young Writers Society



Relaxation

by ThemagicalEbonyFox


A calming wave that washes over my long hair;

A breath of fresh air in a crowded city.

Even though I stand alone, I do not feel the loneliness that often haunts me.

I am free.

(I'm quite new to poetry so all advice is valuble.)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 389
Reviews: 17

Donate
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 am
popsicles says...



I love this short little piece

I'm relaxed now :D






Thank you. :)



User avatar
54 Reviews


Points: 167
Reviews: 54

Donate
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:32 am
View Likes
woahhitherepal wrote a review...



Hello I'm here to review your poem a little (:
okay so the only thing that bothered me about you poem was the flow. I feel as if some of your sentences could've been worded a little better. Otherwise I didn't find any grammatical or spelling errors so great job!!
now don't get me wrong, for you to be new to poetry, this is a very good. just work on the flow a little bit fren (:
I look forward to seeing more from you!!
have an amazing day and an uLTRa spooky halloween!!
>Adrian






Thank you for the feedback. :)


Random avatar
popsicles says...


it was not a problem ;)



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:32 am
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



I like the poem because I have struggled with those circumstances frequently and it does convey the mood of loneliness very well.

Here are some suggestions:

There has to be a visual ballance of lines that doesn’t distract. If one line goes on too far, it will prove distracting to the reader’s eye. I would also arrange it on the page like this:

A calming wave []washes over my long hair;
A breath of fresh air in a crowded city.
Though I stand alone,
I don’t feel the loneliness that often haunts me.
I am free.

That prevents that third line from sticking out too far.
Also, all totally unnecessary words are removed for economy of expression.

Thanks for sharing!






I'm not very good with structure yet so thanks for the tips.



User avatar
245 Reviews


Points: 192
Reviews: 245

Donate
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 pm
View Likes
ChocolateCello says...



Hey so I'm going to leave a comment- not a review- because I don't have any specific suggestions but I thought I'd try and help with a few general suggestions.

When it comes to poetry, it's good to use lots of literary devices. Clever similes and metaphors tend to show the best success rate. Vocabulary is also important- especially when you're writing a shorter poem like this one. If you're only presenting presenting a few words to the reader, make sure they're powerful.

I'd like to also suggest more sensory descriptions. One way to pull readers in is by describing things that connect strongly with the five senses. A good friend once told me that smell is one of the strongest senses. I'd also suggest some sound and some texture focus. Those ones are often less focused on but they can really add a lot to a work.

Keep up the good writing!
-ChocolateCello






Thank you for taking the time to comment on this. I'll try and improve on this kind of stuff next time I write any poetry.



User avatar


Points: 106
Reviews: 2

Donate
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 pm
View Likes
Amsivana wrote a review...



Hi,

This poem seems to be having a very positive note. It has a very new way of telling how we would need to approach life in this busy world. I have heard lines previously like " I feel lonely though I am among people" but what you have on your work is very refreshing. You have a good style of looking at things. Keep writing and have fun :)

Thanks,
Amsivana






Thank you.



User avatar
206 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 206

Donate
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 pm
View Likes
DeerInBacPac wrote a review...



Hello, E.E here for a possibly quick review and maybe some utter nonsense! Grim is here as well, drinking some hot cocoa! So, lets get started! :D
So, for your first time this is quite good. I did not notice any spelling or grammar mistakes so that is fantastic! The flow was done rather well, everything blending well. Your imagery was teriffic as well.
Now is when I dissect your poem and see if I cant get its meaning right! So, in this short poem, you are saying a rather large amount, no? You are telling us, the reader, that you are free form things that once plagued you like anxiety or depression. Your mind is not cluttered any longer and you feel like tons of tons of weights have been lifted off of your shoulder. The vibe, per say, that the pome gave me, I dunno. I don't like it.
Otherwise, I liked the poem in all honesty. Keep up the good work and Happy Halloween! I need to go now, Grim has some more dead to reap and I ran out of cocoa for him.






Thanks for the review.



DeerInBacPac says...


No problem




Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher