z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Girl of Fire and Brimstone (Part 1)

by AliceinBluue


This is how the story starts. Once upon a time, there was a girl born to fire and brimstone. There was a candle where her heart should have been and smoke pumped through her veins.

But nobody noticed, not at first. They did not see that the light shining from her eyes was borne of flickering flames, did not notice that her laughter hid the sound of crackling wood.

The noticing comes later.

This is how the story starts. A girl born of fire and brimstone grows, and so does her fire. It grows from a small flame to a respectable fire. It’s also more noticeable now. It flickers around her edges, wild and free. She dances with it, loves it. It is the only way she has ever known.

She does not know better.

She learns.

It is not intentional when it happens, but it does happen. The girl of smoke and ash, the girl of fire, burns someone. She rages and the fire within her rages too. It whips about her, protecting the hurt inside, protecting all her vulnerabilities.

She lashes out in the only way she knows how, in the only way her fire knows how. She lashes out and she burns.

The teachers pull her aside and say that it is not okay to hurt others because they hurt you. They say that she must be the bigger person sometimes. They say she is in trouble.

She hears the truth, the words said in between.

Your fire is unnatural, she hears. Your fire is wild, she hears. Contain it, she hears.

This is how the story starts. A girl of fire and brimstone is told to contain her fire. Told to sit pretty and act nice.

The girl agrees, because she has started to notice things. Like how all the other girls are like ice, cool and calculating. Sees how different she is from them. And so she makes a choice.

As cages go, it is not that great when it starts out. It is full of holes for her fire to escape from. But she learns. She learns how to find the weak spots, the parts that let her fire lose. She finds them, and she wills them shut.

This is how the story ends. The girl of fire and brimstone closes her fire up in a cage, she lets herself become ice, because that is what they want.

This is how the story ends. Everyone know that a fire without air will die. A fire left unattended will consume everything in its path, devouring its own life source.

This is how the story ends. Once upon a time, there was a girl of fire and brimstone, but no more, now she is a girl of ash.

This is how the story begins. Once upon a time there was a girl born of fire and brimstone, with smoke in her veins and a growing flame where her heart should have been. Once upon a time the girl was told to contain her fire, to make herself ice to fit in. Once upon a time, this girl did what was asked of her.

This is how the story starts. The girl suppressed her fire, locked it up with no air to breath and nothing to eat. For years she wilted, and willed herself to become ice.

This is how the story starts. The girl meets someone, and her fire is free and wild.

The story starts with a question. Weren’t you told to contain your fire?

The story starts with an answer. Yes, I didn’t listen.

The story goes like this. The girl with the untamed fire shows the girl with the subdued one how to get rid of the reinforced cage around her heart. When the girl’s fire tastes air for the first time in years, it leaps free and blazes throughout her, making her resplendent in her own right.

The girl who’s fore was never contained shows the girl how to be a child of ash and brimstone again. It is not always easy, the girl will often forget and try to shove her fire back into it’s cage, and the going is slow, but it is worth it. It is worth it every time the girl feels like herself again. It is worth it every time the girl fights back against those who would contain her fire, burning them with the very thing they would control.

This is how the story goes. Once upon a time there was a girl, but now there is a wildfire.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 1278
Reviews: 35

Donate
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:18 pm
wendylau98 wrote a review...



Hello AliceinBlue! Wendy is here for a quick (I hope) review! If there is anything that you hightlighted/disagree/disapprove/dislike in my review, feel free to comment or PM me. or if there is that you like/encourage/delighted from my review. Feel free to comment, PM, sent me a gift, put a like on my novel (General Behind Me), review it, comment it anything are fully acceoted with an open arms! Ps. Don't sent me a death threat.

I start the review from the top as I slowly read down. Pausing midway to type. My laptop on the reviweing and my phone on reading.

"The sound of crackling wood." Where does the wood sound from. Since it was burning fire and brimstone(which I believe it's sulfur) in place of her heart. Where does woods come from to play its role?

"This is how the story starts. A girl was born of fire and brimstone" This phrase is repeated twice. I hope that it was a copy and paste error. Maybe if you were like <the girl that was born of fire and brimstone grew and so does her fire.>

Ash? Ashhhhh??? She is a raging fire, I dont think is something to describe her yet. Like literal ash or just her burning was too much that its leave her fiery heart, cold? If she was literal ash, it would indicate that she is not this indestructive fire burning girl anymore.

Squishy bits is a major downfall. It was talking something like a raging inferno turns to squishy mushy gushy mitches (I'm exaggerating, I know. Sorry)

In the only way she knows, in the only way her fire knows how. <In the ways she knows, in the way only her fire knows>

The teachers? does it means she is in a school? What about her parents? other adults? Unless the teachers play a significant role in the future chapters. Cause teacher seems too random popping out from the smoke the girl !fuming! out.

Only just at this point, I come to realise that "This is how the story starts" is part of the lyrical story. It seems too sudden because the paragraph between each 'This is how the story starts" is uneven and no rhythmic endings.

cages? Oh, cages. It is a imaginavtive cage to contain the fire in her. She was ask to contain her fire. Never once mention caging it, So, suddenly mention about caging seems too random and sudden.

"Holes where the fire gets lose" fire burns through the holes. Fire don't get lose.

"A fire left unattended will consume everuthing in it's path, decouring it's own life source." Loving this!

This is how the story begins, therre was a girl of fire and brimsome, but no more <there was a girl of fire and brimstone, that burns no more>.

From the point of "this is how the story begins" up to the point of "The story starts with an answer" was actually kind of messy, fast forwarding and not smooth.
-This is how the story begins, i believe ther is no need to summarize everything from the top, you can, but the major problem is. It is unsmooth and was using the same words used up context. Maybe try too rephrase it using differents words bit ends up the same meaning.
-This is how the story starts, I actually have forgetten every paragaraph starting above, I belive it was the same; starts/begins.
-This is how the story starts, maybe try to change the identity of the other girl. because I thought when girl met another someone, her fire became wild and free.
-The story starts with a question. there is not much of a smooth flow or ring to it,

The story goes like this, there is not much to say about it, excellent uses of vocabulary.

I don't think a cage needs a "reinforced" infront of it. it's pretty unnecessary.

the girl who's <whose> fore<fire was never contained

Before, you have mention the fire wilted. Plants wilted. Fire dimmed, died, smoked out. (I'm not pretty sure, if you are pretty sure of the fire wilted, then go ahead).

I believeif there is ice present, the fire would have relly been extingusih completely, how is that the untamed fire girl open up an airway and thr fire would suddenly be alive (unless it's pure metaphor with no logically explanation behind it)

The girl who's fire. <whose fire>

often forget <forgets> ( the girl is a singular, s after verbs)
It is worth it every time the girl feels like herself again. <It is worth for every time the girl feels like herself again>.

burning them with the very thing they would control. <they want to control>

The ending rocks!

Overall, I beileve you are trying a more lyrical approach to this short story but it is lacking and not smooth, it seems too much repetitive instead of a great legend being preached out as a slight poetry. They are actually more word you can use in this story to enhance the vocabulary usage. The "This is how the story starts/begins" left me all confused and I need to reread a few times to get what you actually meant. Because every time the paragraph starts with this, I believe it was a repetiting story of the girl, but it was countinuing. Then in the end, when everything was done telling. Your paragraph starts with the same "This is how the story starts" I was expecting another countinued story, but to actually realized that it was a summary to all the above story. I was a hard hit to my shaft on the supposed smooth river. So, please be cautious on this writing style.

Apologized to any spelling mistake I make and donw in this review, I'm typing in the dark at an ungodly hour. So, I should go now.

Till then!

~Wendy




User avatar
21 Reviews


Points: 560
Reviews: 21

Donate
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 pm
View Likes
WyvrynScribe wrote a review...



This is amazing! I saw the second part and after reading it, I knew I had to read the first part. I love the writing style, it is very different in a wonderfully unique way. The story is very good, and the descriptions are amazing, however, this part, "It whips about her, protecting the hurt inside, protecting all her squishy bits.", feels a bit awkward when compared to the other ones, specifically the "squishy bits" part, but I think it can easily be fixed. The tone you use is very methodical, and the way you describe the character, both directly, and especially indirectly, is very nice. Can't wait to see the other parts of this story!




AliceinBluue says...


Thank you so much for your lovely review! I see what you mean about squishy bits being a bit out of place, and I am going to go change that right now! thank you! So glad you found my story and liked it! So happy you liked my descriptions, it means the world to me!



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:52 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Hi there!

Wow, I loved the narrative voice in this, although I agree with Drac that the story-starter sentences toward the end were used too frequently and got repetitive. I was also a little confused at first when the second girl was introduced, because neither girl was named, so you had this sentence like

This is how the story starts. The girl meets someone, and her fire is free and wild.


That almost made it sound like you were starting the story over again with the same girl. It wasn't until later I realized a second girl had come on the scene. I thought the original girl's fire became wild and free again because she met someone.

The only biggish problem I have with this is the end.

This is how the story goes. Once upon a time there was a girl, but now there is a wildfire.


Specifically, it's an issue of message. Because the whole story seems to be about not conforming, being yourself, not letting society force you into a box. That's great. I love that message. But at the end, when she ceases to be a girl and is now a wildfire...it felt like it undermined your intended message. Like the point of the story was not what it seemed to be, but rather that being different is dangerous and destructive and harms people - like a wildfire.

It's tough because I know you were going with the fire metaphor, and it's a great metaphor, but there at the end it doesn't quite work because of what a wildfire is like. I mean...I guess also wildfires are actually necessary (to a certain extent), like there are certain plants that won't seed unless there's a wildfire at a certain time of year, but even knowing that, it wasn't what my mind went to. I'm not sure what to do about this without changing the whole story, unless you can use something different involving fire at the end? But the only idea I have at present is the sun - fiery, bright, but also good and necessary and life-giving.

This review courtesy of
Image




BluesClues says...


Oh, although looking at the title again I see this is only part 1, so maybe you were actually going to do something with the fact wildfires are destructive. Guess I'll have to wait and see!



AliceinBluue says...


Hello Blue Africa! Thank you so much for the review! The part where the second girl is being fixed right now, so hopefully I can make it more easy to follow soon! I actually want to change that last line, cause wildfires are destructive and it doesn't tie into part 2(which has been posted *wink wink*) But yes! thank you thank you thank you for your review!



User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:07 am
View Likes
Dracula wrote a review...



Ahoy there, AliceinBluue! :P I'm here to review.

The noticing comes later.
I really liked the narrator's voice. This off-hand remark was my favourite. It's great how you gave it its own paragraph, I can almost imagine them shrugging as they say it. It's like a student asking a question and the teacher says: We'll get to that later. Another part of the narrator's speech I particularly liked was the beginning: This is how the story starts. It basically introduces them as an outside character telling the story. Something you could watch out for, for the sake of making the narrator even better, is unnecessary repetition and 'fluff'. Some repetition is great, especially with a 'fairytale' kind of tone. Some is redundant and just adds extra words. An example I found is towards the start, where you write, they did not see that the light that shone from her eyes... 'That' is said twice in close proximity, and the sentence would flow better if it was reworded to something like: They did not see that the light shining from her eyes.

She finds them, and she wields them shut.
This is only a nitpick, but I don't believe that wield is the correct word. Wield is more like holding or possessing. You might have meant welding (as in melting metal together) or 'wills' as in she used her will-power to contain the fire.

The story goes like this.
The starting sentences are very effective and useful, but as I mentioned above, don't let them get repetitive. Towards the end, you use these starters every couple of paragraphs, or more often. It gets distracting. Instead, try to have just a beginning, middle, and end and make those clear and powerful. Also, I suggest making it more obvious when the second girl comes in. I was a little confused when I moved from one to the other.

For the moral... I guess this is like poetry and there's lots of different ways to interpret it. But for me, it speaks about not conforming to society's standards and hiding your true self. It's about finding people who are like you and can support you, help you become the best you can be. It's about not hiding but breaking free. Is that similar to the message you were wanting to get across? Anyway, I thought this was a sweet little poem with a strong underlying message. Thanks for the great read. :D




AliceinBluue says...


Hello! i'm so glad you liked my story! Thank you for pointing out my mistakes, I have done my best to change all of them!

Originally I did mean welding, but going back through I didn't think that made much sense because she is supposed to be containing her fire, so I changed it to wills!

I am working on how to make the second girl a little bit more separate from the original girl to clear up any confusion. As for the repetitive nature of the 'this is where the story starts', I put them in where I felt like the story needed them, for me they were like slight shifts, every time the line repeats, the story changes slightly, but I totally get where it might get distracting.

And yeah! you pretty much hit my interpretation on the nose! Thank you for making my day!!!




If you don't know it's impossible it's easier to do. And because nobody's done it before, they haven't made up rules to stop anyone doing that again, yet.
— Neil Gaiman