z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Shanndrae Woods 2

by PickledChrissy


A shudder runs through me. I roll over. My eyes look through the sky glass, staring at the blue sky above. “Think through it slowly, Nightingale. Just figure it out piece by piece. Sort it out, make it make sense. Do what you can.”

She is getting closer.

“She has been getting closer for a while now. It isn’t a big deal. You can deal with it.”

I’m losing my grip on reality. The call is growing stronger every night.

“You are letting go, not losing it. You can grab hold again if you want too.”

I only “want too” during the day. At night… when the call begins again… I can’t hold on anymore. I’m going to cross. Maybe not tonight, maybe not this year. But I can’t hold out forever.

“Is there anything you can do to stop yourself?” I ask the question despite knowing the answer.

No. You know that. Nothing but sheer force will stop me.

“What will stop you? Is there anyone that can stop you?”

His name swirls up before my mind, rising on powerful wings that ride the wind. The Hawk. Peregrine, he will help if I ask. He helps everyone. I can ask him to watch me when there is a full moon out.

“Inappropriate,” I condemn the thought, trusting away the drop of hope. “He would do it, but I’m not asking that of him.”

I have no right to ask such a thing of him. It would put everything he has on the line. How would I do it? Have him sleep on the floor outside my door and make sure I don’t try to leave in the middle of the night? He would be publicly humiliated once it got out. His parents would most likely throw him out of the house, no one would speak to him. Except for me. But nobody cares about me. Mom and Dad love me, I think. And avoid me. Love and fear me.

I sit up, slapping my hand against the wood. “At least it is half love, Nightingale. Be grateful. It could be all hate.”

Time stretches on. I don’t move. Still in the same position, sitting and staring at the wall. Time has no meaning for me. Nothing has any meaning but the voices in my heart. Even now, in broad daylight, I can hear them. Calling to me. Begging me to come to them.

Don’t be frightened, I also can sing, Nightingale. Don’t run from what you are. Come to me. Let us sing in harmony.

Gritting my teeth, I shove her away. “No. Leave me alone.”

She fights against my push, shoving her cold mind against my soul. A flicker of malice runs from her heart to mine, curling through my being. I throw myself against her.

“No! You can’t have me,” I spit the words out, wanting to rub them in her dark face. Her eyes stare at me from within. Full of mocking amusement, they watch me. “Go away and let me be!”

With one last glint of venom, she melts away. The emptiness flows back to take her place.

Crumpling to the floor, I close my eyes. The sun shines through the window above my head. It’s warmth creeps into my skin, banishing all thought of the cold. I stay there. It will come. But until then, I might as well not move.

A flame licks my fingertips. It sears the skin, biting deep into flesh. Gritting my teeth, I don’t move, not even opening my eyes. “No. Give me more.”

The fire moves up, consuming more. My hand goes deep into the warm agony. I hold my ground. It creeps forward. My wrist goes, then the elbow. The consuming tongue tastes my arm, taking hold of the skin and pulling itself higher.

The pain builds. Fighting for silence, I hold my ground. My face stays still. I don’t let the emotions show the fear of the light that pours down upon me. Drop adds to drop, increasing quickly. Enough.

I roll over, retreating from the devouring light. Gaze lifts up and then shys away from the source of my pain. She smiles down. A blessing for most, a curse for me. The sun shedding it’s light on humanity.

Sitting up, I raise my arm. White skin stares back at me. A marble slab. Unblemished. No lines, no scars. The scars disappear. And the sun can leave no mark on me. But it brings pain. Unbearable agony. So I shroud myself. Cloaked, hood hiding my face.

I lower my arms. Black eyes turn to the ceiling. A sheen covers them, moisture staining my cheeks. Why was I chosen for this fate? There are many others that could have been cursed. But I was cursed. Nothing can save me, I cannot live a normal life. I am a burden. To my parents and the rest of the village.

“Nobody wants you, Nightingale.” the words slip out, sliding easily between attempts to drive them back. “You are a creature of the night, shunning light and the companionship of others. Who would want you?”

Silence falls. I let it come, welcoming it as a old friend. It’s gentle touch soothes my unruly passions. Slowly, it draws it’s cold finger across my soul. The emotion retreat. Falling back, they take refuge in their old hiding spot. Deep down, so deep I cannot find it, somewhere nobody knows.

Closing my eyes, I nestle against the quiet. It presses back, smiling sweetly. Rest, don’t worry for the future. It can take care of itself. Rest for now. Until your next task.

Life falls away. Peregrine, his kind smile, it disappears. My parent’s faces fade beyond recall. But silence is there. Close beside me. Loving me as only silence can.

There is no singing. Amber Shanndrae’s voice does not raise in seductive song. Silence reins. And I sleep, safe in it’s embrace. Nothing can harm me here. She cannot sing with him guarding my bedside.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 903
Reviews: 9

Donate
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:30 pm
View Likes
PersonaAlias wrote a review...



“Inappropriate,” I condemn the thought, trusting away the drop of hope. “He would do it, but I’m not asking that of him.”

Did you by chance mean “thrusting”, not “trusting”?

Gaze lifts up and then shys away from the source of my pain.

Not a complete sentence. “My gaze” is maybe what you mean. Also, I think it should be “shies”, not shys.

Black eyes turn to the ceiling.

As I said in my review of your first chapter, your description of the main character’s features sounds third person, when the rest of your story is first person. You could instead say something like “I lower my arms, and turn my black eyes to the ceiling.” That way it’s in first person.

Silence reins.

I think you mean “Silence reigns.”

I love how you personify Silence! There’s a specific term for the type of personification where you treat an abstract concept like “Silence” as a person… But I can’t remember what it is… Anyway, another splendid chapter!






Thank you! I'll fix the part with third person.



User avatar
1485 Reviews


Points: 154066
Reviews: 1485

Donate
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:25 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame wrote a review...



Hi there Chrissy!
As you tagged me in this I'm here to review as promised :) I've had a quick reread through the previous chapter, so I'm ready to go! In future, it might be nice if you put a quick recap of what's happened so far in the previous chapters at the top of your work. It helps when there is a gap between reading your chapters, or is just useful to those who are just joining the story. Just a suggestion.

I think the format you've got at the beginning of the chapter doesn't read quite right. I took a while trying to work out who Nightingale was talking to, only to realise it was herself, and even then I found the section hard to follow. It would be so much better if it read more as an internal piece of thought, or simply as 'she wondered if' etc. The dialogue interrupts the flow and I think the confusion takes away from the story.

It also means later when you use italics I'm not sure who is speaking. Was it the voices in her head all along? I think a little clarification would be good at this point.

“Inappropriate,” I condemn the thought, trusting away the drop of hope.

What do you mean by 'trusting away the drop of hope'? Do you mean 'turning away'? I find this bit hard to understand.

I like how much insight we get into the character in this chapter, but I don't think enough really happens for it to be a chapter on its own. Maybe that's something we can play around with once you've written it all?

I haven't really got any nitpicks here but hope this was helpful nonetheless. Make sure to tag me for chapter 3!
Icy






Okay, Thanks, Icy! I'll work on the dialogue.



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:30 am
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, I'm here to review! :D

I find it it a little bit funny to have Night having a monologue with herself. Not that it couldn't happen, but the format you use make it seem less serious. My suggestion is to have all this conversation put into paragraphs outside of dialogues, so rather than this:

No. You know that. Nothing but sheer force will stop me.

“What will stop you? Is there anyone that can stop you?”


It becomes this:

Night knew nothing could stop her, except maybe sheer force. What will stop me? Is there anyone that can stop me? she asked of herself. Sometimes she did this, thinking to herself. It usually helped, and she hoped it'd help now.


Something like that. So the questions, the duality can be condensed into paragraphs, making it more like a real monologue where we're having this show of her interaction with herself, how she's understanding herself better.

I sit up, slapping my hand against the wood. “At least it is half love, Nightingale. Be grateful. It could be all hate.”


Urgh, I think this is a powerful line. It's simple, but it's something that we can relate. The action that precedes it shows more of Night's character, how she's a grateful person and likes to think twice before seeing the negative. Here we could see her capacity to see the positive, and I think it shows how she manages to keep control of herself all this time. Even the thought of her not wanting to become so selfish with Peregrine (though I think eventually he would and should help and they're going to be a couple (b@w@)b and they're going to live happily ever after) tells us more about her character. Also, it would be so ridiculous if his parents kick him out for helping a girl. Like, I'm so not wanting to live with that kind of parents unless I'm forced to.

It's interesting to see how the sunlight affects her and how she tries to test her luck with it, and I'm excited to see what's the deal actually. With Amber, with the singing, with the sun. I like how you're building this suspense, and it's a nice way to make me read more of the story. Right now, we are given a taste of a conflict, and it's more with how Night's dealing with herself. I'm hoping to see a larger scheme of event concerning Peregrine, Night's parents, Peregrine's parents, and the town members in general (we're not seeing them much).

All in all, I think this chapter is very much character-driven. We are shown a lot about Night's inner self and her struggle. We are shown what she's doing to keep Amber at bay, and while there's a suspicion this is not going to last long (particularly when she refuses to get help from Peregrine), we are also shown that there are moments when Amber can't reach her, and the moment with silence is one of them. I'm wondering if silence is the way to keep her away, but I'm not sure. I think this is just one of the few times when she is left alone in peace, and I'm hoping to see something more, something big in the future chapters.

That is all! Keep up the good job! I like the name Peregrine (though it's a hassle to write his name down! xD). :D






Thank, Lightsong! I'll work on that part.




Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.
— Corey Ford