16+

The Moon Needs Her Night Chapter 8

by inktopus

Seeing the smoking remains of Asha's home cast a dark cloud over her. She looked behind to Yuni who stared at the decimation with a mix of horror and sorrow in her eyes.

"It is horrid," she whispered, casting her eyes to the ground.

With a sense of dread and trepidation, Asha guided them farther into the village. They walked down the middle of the main street that led to the very center of town: the hub for everything. The place where all of the village wide feasts were hosted, where the bazaar was held, the first training arena she had known. Images of Khari smiling down at her after she had made a fire flooded her memory. A faint, bittersweet smile quirked her lips as she walked with memories playing across closed eyelids.

A tiny, choked gasp forced her eyes open and her mouth dropped at what was in front of her. It was the center, but not as she remembered it. Once again, she was rendered immobile as a pile of bodies the height of herself was piled in the center of the square.

The smooth, perfect skin of children drenched in dried blood, white clothes stained red. Old, broken bodies dotted the pile as well, wrinkled and white-haired with jaundiced eyes. At the very top of the pile lay an old, emaciated man impaled with a pike that had a familiar flag tied to it, waving in the breeze. It bore the crest of the High Mage.

Yuni breathed out something in a language that Asha couldn't understand. Tears pricked at Asha's eyes and something caught in her throat. Saliva flooded her mouth and she turned away, vomiting up bile and the remains of her last meal.

She shuddered, still bent over, her eyes squeezed shut as the image implanted itself into her mind. "Asha," a small voice called. "I am so sorry."

Tears dripped from eyes that Asha thought were dried out. It seemed that they were bottomless wells and she was drowning in them.

She spat on the ground to clear her mouth of the vile taste and wiped her tears away before standing to face Yuni who had somehow paled even whiter than before. She trembled like the sheet of paper she shared her coloring with.

"They need a funeral," Asha said flatly. It was not the time to break down again. She needed to do what was necessary and move on before worse could happen to the rest of Kuwha.

"Are you going to bury them all?" Yuni asked.

Asha allowed herself a small, wan smile. "That's not what we do around here."

The traditional music played in her ears, the flavor of her favorite foods covered the taste of vomit, the heat of the fire warmed her arms. She wouldn't be able to make the feast or play the music or even recreate the joviality of the ritual, but she could build the pyre and say the right words.

Without moving from her spot, she pulled the energy from every plant around her: the sparse grass, the trampled, half wilted crops, the scraggly trees that dotted the land. A circle of death spread around her as she drained the life forces of every living plant in a half mile radius.

She reeled the energy inside her until it was a bubbling, boiling pool just beneath her heart. She sent the energy out in a pulse, raising the broken boards of the houses and other buildings in the village. Eyes still closed- it helped her focus- she piled the wood over the bodies. With a flash of emotion that she hadn't allowed herself to include in her magic since she was a young child, she lit the pyre. Fwoosh. The wood creaked and crackled at the flames consumed it.

She opened her eyes and let herself gaze at the flames crawling up the pyre. A small feeling of victory warmed her insides as she watched the flag catch fire and disintegrate into ashes.

Conjuring the words her mentor had said as he stood before the pyre into her mind, she began to mumble them to herself, getting louder as she grew more confident in herself. She lost herself in those familiar words. They always seemed to comfort her when the village lost a life. Her voice quivered for just a moment before she willed herself to be stronger. Now it was just a ritual. Somehow all the magic and mystery was gone. She knew now how Khari felt when he performed the ceremony.

Empty.

Alone.

Completing the ceremony held no comfort for Asha anymore. It was like she was a performer, pretending for the audience.

Finishing the words, she clapped her hands together and willed the fire bigger just as she remembered Khari doing.

"You have to use your own life force?" Asha had asked, awed.

"Yes," Khari had replied, infinitely wise. "You must give a part of yourself to the gods as an offering so they will take the souls of the deceased."

"The gods are greedy," Asha complained.

Khari laughed, his wrinkles smoothing out as his skin stretched over his smile. "Perhaps, but it's what we have to do. It is our duty to our people."

Asha nodded firmly. "Our duty," she echoed.

Weakened, she staggered. It was the first time in a long time that she had used her own life force, and the first time in her life to ever do it on purpose. Yuni rushed forward, catching Asha by the arms.

"What did you do?" Yuni hissed.

"It's part of the ritual," Asha explained. "I give a part of myself to the gods as payment for safe passage for the souls."

"You frightened me!" Yuni scolded as she lowered Asha to the ground. "Sit here. I am going to offer my own prayer."

Yuni stood and walked to face the pyre. She knelt and bowed, her foreign mutterings barely reaching Asha's ears. After a few minutes, she stood again.

"Night has fallen," Yuni whispered. "We must rest."

"Not here," Asha replied. "Outside of the village." She pushed Yuni away and stood, swaying. "I can walk," she said even as she clung to Yuni for support.

Yuni nodded wordlessly and led the pair out of the village.

Asha was asleep before she even lay down.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:57 am
Shady wrote a review...

Hey inktopus,

Shady back again. It's been a while, eh? I skimmed the previous chapter and am going to see if I can just jump straight back in, but I have a notoriously bad memory so sorry if I forget something that's been established in your story...

Seeing the smoking remains of Asha's home cast a dark cloud over her.

I think this is a good opening sentence, but I think you could be a tad bit more descriptive with it. I assume you mean cast a dark cloud over her as in imagery of her getting put into a bad mood -- but she is a magician afterall, so it could be a literal dark cloud for all we know. Perhaps just specify a bit?

So here's the danger of having two characters of the same gender (though I think it's awesome that you have two strong women leading this story!)... I have no idea who "she" is in this scene. I'm assuming it's Yuni but it could be either of them, really.

A faint, bittersweet smile quirked her lips as she walked with memories playing across closed eyelids.

So this might be one of those things I don't remember since it's been so long since my last review (sorry about that), but aren't there signs that this was a relatively recent attack? Is it really wise of her to walk with her eyes closed, when there remains the possibility of an enemy trying an ambush?

The smooth, perfect skin of children drenched in dried blood, white clothes stained red. Old, broken bodies dotted the pile as well, wrinkled and white-haired with jaundiced eyes. At the very top of the pile lay an old, emaciated man impaled with a pike that had a familiar flag tied to it, waving in the breeze.

This is really excellent imagery. The specifics make the scene that much more chilling, which helps evoke an emotional response in the reader. Great job there!

It bore the crest of the High Mage.

No. >:| I hate him so much.

joviality of the ritual

Are you sure this is the word you want to use here? Joviality carries the idea of being in a good mood and happy... I get you mean light hearted, but the connotations of joviality seems a bit out of place for a funeral -- even if it's more of a celebration of life sort of situation rather than a traditional funeral. But that could just be me.
~ ~ ~

This was another good chapter. You did a really good job capturing the emotion in this scene, and I like that Yuni stepped up to be supportive for Asha as she was grieving. I did think it was a little odd that there didn't appear to be any anger when she saw who was responsible for the death of her village -- I thought there would be at least a little flash of anger or revenge to overwhelm the grief even for a little while, but I didn't see any of that. Interested to see how she goes about the next chapter.

Good pacing and flow, and nice job ending on a high strung emotion. It's not a cliffhanger but there's still enough drama from the chapter and unanswered questions that I'm motivated enough to read on, so great job there.

As always, let me know if you have any questions.

~Shady 8)

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 am
liehart wrote a review...

'Seeing the smoking remains of Asha's home cast a dark cloud over her.'

As a first line, this feels more like telling than showing where I think showing would be far more effective. It really improves as it goes on, the memory contrasted with the bodies is really powerful.

The grief in this chapter is really well written, I think its best quality is how emotion has been captured. I love the idea of Asha building the pyre, and also burning the flag, as a way of resisting the High Mages while keeping her own culture alive despite efforts to destroy it. Now, take this with a pinch of salt as I have no experience of being a colonised/persecuted ethnic group, but the themes here, which despite the fantasy setting are unfortunately very real, feel sensitively written about. I'd still recommend keeping in mind what the implications might be when dealing with such issues.

I am not sure about the flashback, as it feels the story is on pause for exposition. I think it might work better if it was worked into the present a bit more.

That said, this is a very strong chapter and I'm very excited to keep reading!

Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey Storm. I had to take a break from looking at the green room so I decided to jump over here.

I read this a week or so ago but then I never reviewed it, probably because I got lazy. This chapter was a bit different than all of the other pieces than I had seen before and I guess I really started to like it at this point. Like the plot is finally starting to roll somewhere, and even though Asha's motivations were starting to be pointed out before, they're even more clearly defined now. The government has torched her village, destroying all the life and this sets her up on her personal revenge mission. Assuming she's also going to have a period of rescue missions for other like villages to try and save them from the bad guys.

It was good to finally hear a bit more about her life before and the people she knew, even if it was only for that brief flashback to her mentor. That's what I've been wanting to see out of your chapters for a long while but I figured those explanations would come at a later point in time. Wasn't quite as dramatic as I was expecting from you but still it started to happen and that put my mind at ease.

The dialogue still feels funky to me and it might just be that these characters still feel off to me. Like all of their interactions are uncomfortable, which I guess is accurate for two people who barely know each other and our now allies and enemy of the state. How they got thrown together seems rather rushed and I know that Yuni must have more of a back story, so that's what I'm hoping to see next.

PastelSlushie wrote a review...

Hello again, Stormcloud, PastelSlushie here for a review from Team Autumn on this fine Review Day. Let's get right into it!

I really enjoy how more of Asha's backstory and childhood(?) was introduced in the chapter. It develops her more as a character, and it makes her feel more human instead of a book character. How you described each part was very clear and vivid, I wasn't the biggest fan of the throw-up scene, however. Mainly because you showed a natural reaction from a person who would've seen the pile of dead bodies in real life - in fact, I feel that Asha's reaction was the most realistic part of this chapter.

The flashback seemed a bit awkward in this chapter, as it wasn't separated from the rest of the piece, my suggestion would be to put something like a hyphen to separate it from the rest of the piece, so the reader will know they're going to a different point of view. Unless you did do that and the Publishing Center glitched, it's fine.

The atmosphere and intensity are gradually building up with each chapter and I love it to death.

Feel free to reply or send a message if you have any questions or disagree with anything in my review. Best of luck in your future pieces.

Pastel

Virgil wrote a review...

This is Nikayla here dropping in for another review on this lovely Review Day!

I already forget the last chapter that I reviewed--oopsie! I'll just go off of what I read here for the review though I may end up remembering other bits and pieces from this. That being said, let's jump right in by saying that this chapter does better than the last that I reviewed in setting up scenery and building the atmosphere. At least, better than the last chapter--still not your strength in writing! At the same time, I found myself much more captivated by what's going on and the descriptions that are being used in this chapter.

They're much more vivid to the reader and more balanced with the dialogue which I enjoy quite a bit. This is what I would've liked to see more of last time. The vomit part is a little gross I have to say. This made me scrunch my face and have to turn away a little bit because this makes the impact of what's going on and the dead bodies even more impactful. This is what interested me enough to make me want to see what happens next and maybe even review this novel from the beginning--I suppose I'll end up doing that if I have the time.

The line of dialogue "That's not what we do around here." says so much in only a couple of words. The differences between their culture. That's what I want more of. Even so, the flashback to Khari is a little awkward. I wanted to see more rooted in reality or in the actual scene in the second half because there's a slight shift into telling and not showing. The end of this chapter isn't as effective as I'd hoped though. Falling asleep might've not been the best way to end this.

Maybe place the flashback before she falls asleep and have that end the chapter? Just a suggestion. What I suggest even more though is making the connection between Asha and Yuni stronger near the end because both of them feel more distant at this point and I wanted to see more of a bond. The two characters have interactions with each other that I find to be...odd? I'm a fan of Asha and her development more than Yuni. Overall though? Solid chapter. More impressed than I expected to be so nice job on that.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Woot woot!

Nit-picks and nice moments:

I forget if I've said this before or not but I think you should make it explicit why Yuni talks in the sort of stilted way that she does. Like, I understand why it is, but I don't think I would if I hadn't talked to you about it.

The smooth, perfect skin of children drenched in dried blood, white clothes stained red.

This was really powerful, particularly the fact that it's technically a sentence fragment.

Yuni breathed out something in a language that Asha couldn't understand.

That was confusing for a second because I didn't realise she'd said words.

She trembled like the sheet of paper she shared her coloring with.

That's a bit clunky.

The wood creaked and crackled ats the flames consumed it.

With a flash of emotion that she hadn't allowed herself to include in her magic since she was a young child

"include" is a bit technical for such a visceral moment.

Character: It's really nice to see some more of Asha's backstory and I'm glad that we get to see it when we see the ruins of her hometown. It makes it really poignant. I think it was a nice touch to have Yuni so furious at the end and I actually think it might have been interesting to focus on that a little bit more, maybe have Asha briefly wonder why she was so angry. Obviously not answer the question, just some foreshadowing. I'd understand if you thought that was too heavy though.

Setting: You know how near the start you mention some of the stuff from her childhood, I think it might be really poignant to do that again at some of the most charged moments, maybe just after the ritual.

Plot: Oh dear Christ gahhhh!! How did the High Mage beat them there??? Sorry this is so incoherent but grrrr I needs more.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

inktopus says...

Thanks for the review! Your comments on the plot worried me though because I haven't yet explained how the High Mage's lackeys beat them there. Oops... The second draft is going to make a lot more sense, hopefully.

Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour