z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

You're Not in Love With Her

by gxldencrxwns


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

If yelling at her in an argument doesn't make your throat burn like you just downed six shots,

You're not in love with her. 

-

If her eyes can't make you stop in your tracks and make you think about what you're about to say,

You're not in love with her. 

-

If her laugh doesn't make you tense your knuckles up in fear of never hearing it again,

You're not in love with her. 

-

If her voice can't calm your worst anxiety attacks and makes you want to listen to everything she says,

You're not in love with her. 

If her smile doesn't make your chest quake and your lungs shrink but still feel refreshed,

You're not in love with her. 

If her taking off her clothes is when you pay the most attention to her, 

You're not in love with her. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
118 Reviews


Points: 18525
Reviews: 118

Donate
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:31 am
PastelSlushie wrote a review...



Hello again, gxldencrxwns! PastelSlushie here for a review! Let's get right into it!

First comment: I did find this to be quite enjoyable, but what you interpret as a "relationship" is quite toxic, and could lead to breakups, ugly ones, even. The line, "If her laugh doesn't make you tense your knuckles up in fear of never hearing it again," that is... a toxic representation of love. You should never let your anxiety or other disorders get in the way of the one you love.

Second comment: The repetitive "You're not in love with her" line doesn't work. It didn't start off strong, and if it doesn't start off strong in the beginning, it doesn't afterward. That's why it's hard to make reputation work.

Well, this is the end of this review. Sorry if I seemed harsh in anyway you didn't like. Keep writing!

Pastel




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:09 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...



I was reading this and I wasn't sure about all of it, but then I got to the last line like *slams like button*




gxldencrxwns says...


Thanks!



User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:25 am
View Likes
Willard wrote a review...



Hello, gxldencrxwns! Willard here, this is my first review in over a year, I'll be rusty as hell, and I hope you enjoy it.

You probably won't. You most likely won't. And that's okay. I'm never the happiest reviewer. I tend to be too cynical on specific things, and while I do try my best to offer the writer advice, I am not exactly the cheerleader anyone wants. Don't take any of it personal. This is just me judging the poem.

I do have a lot of problems with this poem. The biggest gripe specifically is the subject. Love. "What is true love?" "Do you feel love?" "Do you know what love is?". The last poem I posted on here had to do with love, believe it or not. Yet what makes the subject so unappealing is that it's talked about a lot. And since it's talked about a lot, you hear a lot of the same points over and over and over and over and over again. It gets to the point, especially recently, where it feels as if I'm reading the same poem multiple times. That can be okay, occasionally, because writers usually have some different flair to the words they put down. However, most of the time, there is really no true variation, and that gets so grating. That is what this poem suffers from the most. It takes a typical subject, yet offers nothing comparatively interesting and fresh. For the reader, it leaves them feeling underwhelmed (or me at least). For the critic, it leaves them angry. For the writer, it leaves you deadlocked. Take something you're especially good at, and apply it to a subject like this. If you know a lot about fantasy, use some "light"ness and add it to this poem. As of right now, it's just a generic love poem. I'm not calling it bad. I'm not calling you bad. But it's personally what I strongly feel.

However, it can't be a review if I don't nitpick.

If yelling at her in an argument doesn't make your throat burn like you just downed six shots,

Empathy. Only write things you're familiar with. I was guilty of this when I was a younger writer, but it would have been better if it had been implanted in my mind much earlier.

Your profile says you're 12, right? Okay, so this makes the opening line highly questionable because not everybody your age is a heavy drinker like that. I know people who tap out at 8, yet they're 18 and compulsive drinkers. This makes me question the authenticity of this play because this is unrealistic. I can't believe it whatsoever. Opening lines are supposed to act as hooks, and if you can't hook your reader from the start, then that isn't a good thing. Most readers want something they can relate with. And if you can't relate with it, why should they?

You're not in love with her. 

Stretch. There is, most of the time, a difference between arguing with your SO v. 6 shots. I'm not sure how to properly word it, but six shots can knock out a person and make them giggle. Arguing with your SO just makes you feel saaaaaaaaaad, man. Saaaaaaaaaaaaad, man.

If her eyes can't make you stop in your tracks and make you think about what you're about to say,

I genuinely don't know what this is supposed to mean. I feel as if your intentions got lost in translation, therefore this line falls flat. It holds no real power. It can't get the catharsis you would want out of an audience.

You're not in love with her. 

If it doesn't work the first time, chances are it won't work the second. That's the problem with repetition. If you don't start off strong, it completely fails.

If her laugh doesn't make you tense your knuckles up in fear of never hearing it again,

This is nothing against the poem, but also, this is an unhealthy approach to love. Don't hold onto fear, don't make your anxiety too prominent in the relationship, don't put the burden of your depression onto your loved one. Now, this isn't love. This is...a toxic interpretation of it.

You're not in love with her. 

;)

If her voice can't calm your worst anxiety attacks and makes you want to listen to everything she says,

exactly what I said last time. It should also be "If her voice doesn't calm you down and make you want to listen to everything she has to say". That would make the poem flow much better.

If her smile doesn't make your chest quake and your lungs shrink but still feel refreshed,


...wha? what? There is too much going on in this sentence. It sounds awkward. We know what you're trying to say, but it just doesn't work. Find a different way to say it so you could help the flow.

Codependency in relationships leads to toxicity. What you're explaining is not the healthiest view of love one can have.

If her taking off her clothes is when you pay the most attention to her, 

Something I just realized is you start every line with "If her", and I am so sorry, but it has crippled your flow. Read that last sentence over. You have to try so hard to make it work, but you're already preventing yourself from taking it a different way. You made yourself stuck, and this line is the equivalent of sticking a square block through a circle. This isn't your fault, it's the repetition's fault. That's why, as a poetic device, a lot of people don't use it. It sets you up for failure.

"If her taking off her clothes is the only time you pay attention to her," maybe?

You're not in love with her. 


Aaaaaaaaaand scene!

I was probably too cynical, but I stand by the words I have said. You still have a lot of room to grow, and I would love to see you grow. There are so many places you could take this poem. Find your voice, groom it like it's your pet, and make it your own. So, sooner or later, you could revisit this poem and give it the proper facelift it desperately needs. Nothing too personal, it's just how I read the poem

I hope you have a great day.

A groovy one, at that.




gxldencrxwns says...


I will agree on everything you say about me improving. Before I joined this site, I hadn't written for almost two years, my writing teacher found my journal full of poems and shorts and said they were all horrible and that just...ugh.

But as far as the shots go, I don't drink. That line was inspired by my friend who did drink heavily, and she's in Juvy right now for unrelated crimes. But I usually don't take my real life preferences and experiences into my writing.

But thanks for the review! I appreciate it!



User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 57

Donate
Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:57 pm
View Likes
IvoryRose wrote a review...



Sorry if I seem like a stalker, but I keep on finding your work. It's interesting that you took on this topic and yes I agree with the rating. However, I found the alcohol comparison unnecessary. "If yelling at her doesn't make your throat burn like you just downed six shots…", though I might sound like a goody two shoes, personally I would compare to the sun or use something like turn your throat into an inferno. This is a very minor thing. I did find the rest of the poem great and the ending was very powerful. Especially since it has happened to people I love. Once again you're a talented writer. Keep up the great work!! ;)




gxldencrxwns says...


Oh no, don't feel like a stalker. Review ALL my works if you want! (But please not the ones in the Dead Novels folder please no---)

But thanks again for another review!



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 1159
Reviews: 13

Donate
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:32 am
View Likes
nidkits wrote a review...



Hai gxldencrxwns,
Ok first off, this was an interesting piece. Although I could tell that the mature content flows throughout the poem it was quite enjoyable. I do love the subject you chose because the one thing we all don't realize is how complicated a relationship can be. I have honestly got to admit this is a hard subject. There is so much feel going on out and about that creating this raw, to-the-core emotion can be increasingly difficult. The one this that I also love about your work the the amount of effort you must have put into it. When you write a poem putting the words at word is so hard because it requires tons of knowledge. I feel like you can accomplish many thing out of writing literature. Some people enjoy the fact that they have a talent and some people take years of practice to create something extraordinary. I am not here to point out every mistake that you could have made because that would not help at all. I want to help writers like you to excel in the future so that I can see your work published. So please don't thank me, I want to thank you for inspiring me... :)
Nidkits




gxldencrxwns says...


Thanks for reviewing! And gosh...I think this is the first time I inspired someone with my work!



User avatar
386 Reviews


Points: 27684
Reviews: 386

Donate
Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:18 am
View Likes
Dossereana says...



Wow this is really good, I just love the way you say things, :D




gxldencrxwns says...


Thanks!



Dossereana says...


your well kim, :D



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:49 am
View Likes
lonelywoods says...



Amazing work! It's so easy to get mixed up between real feelings and sexual feelings.




gxldencrxwns says...


Thanks!



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 844
Reviews: 93

Donate
Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:19 am
View Likes
klennon14 wrote a review...



Hi there, I'm here to review your lovely piece :)

Let's begin with how much I love the meaning behind this poem. You capture the real and raw feelings of true love. The little things that add up to the big things. Love the concept.

I like how you narrow down each line to small details, and lead to a bigger premise and meaning underneath each gentle yet cutting description. Very nice effect.

Now, there are a few lines I may change up a bit. Just minor word choice adjustments that would make the poem flow more.

Let's look at an example:

Your original line: "If her taking off her clothes is when you pay the most attention to her..."

The word choice here can come off as a bit choppy. Nothing too deterring, but distracting enough where I might change it up a bit.

"If when she strips her clothes off is when you pay the most attention to her" might sound more cohesive.

Overall, I think this is a solid poem. I think if you change up some of the word choice here and there, it can be even more cutting edge. I enjoyed reading this piece!

Please message me if you have any questions or concerns (or angry rants even) about my review :)

Happy writing,

Kali L.




gxldencrxwns says...


Thanks for reviewing!



User avatar
862 Reviews


Points: 29096
Reviews: 862

Donate
Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:31 pm
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Hey there gxldencrxwns, I'm dropping in to leave you a review!

I think that this is an interesting concept, and I think that the repetition actually works quite well in this piece. That being said, I think there are a few changes you could make to create an even better poem.

First of all, I think you should take out the very first line. The additional "you're not in love with her" doesn't really do anything to benefit the poem, and you get your point across very well in the rest of the poem.

If yelling at her in an argument doesn't make your throat burn like you just downed six shots, You're not in love with her.


I like the image that you create with the shots. It's wonderful and visceral. I think, though, that this has a few too many words in it. Perhaps use fewer, but stronger words, to get your point across in a more succinct manner. For example, you could say,
"If screaming at her
doesn't make your throat burn
like downing six shots,
you're not in love with her."

This seems to be something throughout the piece that you could work on. See if you can take out words and change others to be more direct. In poetry, less is more. And feel free to message me if you want us to work on it together! I'm a busy person, but I can try to find time to open a WFP with you and hash it out. :)

I also broke the lines in different places, but feel free to use your own artistic judgment on that.

If her voice can't calm your worst anxiety attacks and makes you want to listen to everything she says, You're not in love with her.

This is the only line that I really didn't like the concept of. You can totally be in love with someone and not be able to get out of a panic attack. It's not about other people, it's about what's in your head while you're going through the attack. I don't know if this is really a message that you want to be sending-- panic attacks are highly personal and don't really depend on another person's input.

But I digress.

The end is a bit of a zinger, which I like. It also relates to relationships that I've had in the past, unfortunately.

Overall, I enjoyed reading your poem. I think that with a little work, it can be really good! I hope that this review proves useful to you. If you have any questions, feel free to private message me! Happy writing!




gxldencrxwns says...


Thanks for the review!




Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena