Home » Literary works » Short Story » Realistic

Dandelions

by JuliasSneezer

I see pretty things. I don't mean in the other stories, where you see extra shine in a mirror that leads to Wonderland, or the tickle of a cherry blossom-scented wind that means that kind spirits are looming about. I mean what people walk past every day. The things that people miss because they're chatting in cell-phones, thinking of appointments, and trying to make it home in time to catch the big game.

And that's not their fault, that's just life! Running around and trying to keep up with everyone around you, and some trying to get ahead, even. And that's okay.

I love the cracks in the sidewalks. The lilt in people's voices as they talk to one another, even just a polite greeting on the streets. I like the sound of old, musty autumn leaves that are still blowing around on a summer breeze, scraping against the ground. I like the sound of my own breathing when I'm alone. The artificial tin of music floating through the cheap speakers of an iPhone. The laugh of someone you love, even if it's fake.

I love all those things. They're the makings of fine months and years. Of fine lives. The green grass that's on the other side. But one of my favorite little things that people don't notice are dandelions.

Do you not recognize the name? It's okay if you don't, some people just don't know. They're the little yellow flowers sprouting up in the grass. The tough-as-nails flowers that can find a home in cracked dirt and splits in pavement. The complaints on people's breaths during the warm months. The seeds dancing in late summer air.

They're everywhere. I can appreciate their beauty, even if other's don't get it. Many people call them weeds. Sprouting up everywhere, despite the fact that they're actually wildflowers. Few people know that, so I take the liberty of telling them. They usually shrug it off, preferring to stick to their own rancid opinions because it's easier than considering a new one.

I once asked my mother why everyone hated them so much. She said because they were everywhere. I pointed out the fact that they were actually wildflowers, and inquired why people thought they were weeds.

"Because that's how we think of them around here."

How human of us to go around with what other people are saying without any consideration. Without any appreciation! Without considering that to the wise consumer, they can yield dyes and paints, teas and salads, nourishment in a dying world.

It's not that I'm all that passionate about dandelions, either. It's the symbolism behind the universal hate, I'd guess. That just because there are a lot that they're not worth anything. That we spray them out of our flower beds with foreign chemicals because we didn't put them there in the first place. If there were only a few in the world, they'd be coveted. Treasured for their bright yellowed blooms and bubbles of pollen. Treasured then as I treasure them now.

But for now, I pick my dandelions, and tell my friends that they're actually wildflowers, and ignore as they shrug it off and stick to their own, rancid opinions.

Because, in a way, they're all dandelions themselves.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:42 pm
ashotto wrote a review...

I really enjoyed reading this story. Especially the way you started it out, describing elements of life that you notice and cherish was very well written. I think perhaps the end was my favourite part, as the last sentence was powerful and meaningful. In all honesty, I have very little critique for this story (I know we're supposed to offer constructive criticism, but I honestly don't have any). I loved the way you spoke of little things in life, and the way your story slowly flowed into dandelions and what they symbolised to you. I think the style in which it was written was very well done, you remained within logic and reason but at the same time gave the reader the chance to imagine. Also, very well structured. Can't wait to read more of your work!

Thank you very much! Your compliments really mean a lot to me! While I only write something like this... well... I only wrote one other thing like this. But thank you so much! :D

CharlotteS wrote a review...

WOW. I love this. It's crazy. You have captured reality and have expressed it in such a manner that I just fell in love with the way you write. This was beautiful, I especially loved the phrase "because, in a way, they are all dandelions themselves." This reminded me of something I saw on the internet the other day and it brought on many philosophical thoughts.
This was logical but emotional. You are an amazing writer and I love reading your writing! I hope to find more soon.

Oh, wow, thank you! This was just a one-off sort of thing, but I really appreciate what you said. Really. :D

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:05 am
ILived says...

What a beautiful piece! Quite different than normal but I think it's something everyone should read. So trash the thought of taking this down. Maybe even something to be added in a bigger piece of writing. Or maybe you can condense it, make it something smaller, a poem perhaps. Come to think of it, a poem would work perfect.

Anyway, amazing writing but more importantly, wonderful thoughts!

Keep writing and never underestimate your work! Who'd have thought that a 1-year-old could write this well? ;)

~ ILived

Thanks for the comment, ILived (love the name by the way)!

Thank you! I've never written anything quite like this, so I appreciate the kind words. Perhaps I'll end up adding to this, but I'm doubtful. I'm rubbish at poetry also, so I doubt that I'll be making a poem out of this. But I very much appreciate the suggestions regardless.

And thank you, I've been told that I'm very advanced for a one-year-old. XD

Kimmycat wrote a review...

Hey!
This is great. I love dandelions myself and I never knew they were wildflowers. That's pretty cool. I like in the beginning how you point out that people don't notice the beauty of the world because they are always on their phones. But, that is modern tech. and it is going to be common for that to happen. This story shows how tiny little tings can be beautiful.
And I agree,
Why do people hate dandelions so much!
-Kimmycat

Thank ye' kindly! I appreciate the review, even though I'm probably going to take down this work. I'm glad you can see small things, as sometimes they're the prettiest!

issam says...

Very poetic. But, umm, overdone? Like creepily overdone? Think of someone saying all of this to you in person. Normal? Hardly. It's just not believable. And somewhere in the middle, it turns mainstream. The boring kind.

Thanks! I totally get it. I was reading this while listening to music, so I was a little side-tracked. XD

Once I had asked God for one extra or two extra inches in height but instead he made me as tall as the sky, so high that I could not measure myself.
— Malala