z

Young Writers Society



North Dakota (I miss you)(I love you)

by Willard


If love wasn't a social construct,
I would carve Romeo and Juliet quotes
into my arms with a butter knife
and live in a tree fort
in North Dakota.

Society couldn't corrupt it
(the screams about the death of capitalism),
so thus will speak the Kama Sutra
of emotional preservation.

There are no planes to Dakota,
but with feet or not,
I'll crawl to and fro
ignoring the sand
that soak into my wounds.

It is the east, and Dakota is the sun;
arise, fair maiden, and lovingly slay me.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:31 am
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review!

I both could and couldn't believe that this is still sitting in the Green Room. Though, I'm here to fix that problem! Let's jump right into the content of the piece.

If love wasn't a social construct,
I would carve Romeo and Juliet quotes
into my arms with a butter knife
and live in a tree fort
in North Dakota.


I'm a fan, like Hannah, of your opening and first stanza of the poem. The flow here is quite natural from line to line. There's nothing that can't be understood here, (though it is a little questionable why the speaker wants to live in a tree fort in North Dakota) and you do a good job of stating what the speaker wants to do and would do. While it seems a little random like some of your poetry usually does, the reader can tell that it isn't random due to your preciseness.

.
Society couldn't corrupt it
(the screams about the death of capitalism),
so thus will speak the Kama Sutra
of emotional preservation.


I'm not that big on this stanza. You lost me. I can understand how society ties in with this from you writing about how society is a social construct in the last stanza, but that's about it. The flow here also ends up worsening, with the second line onward being clunky. I'm going to suggest playing around with the wording in this stanza, and I do suggest that you end up rewording it because the flow in your poetry either decides to be a smooth criminal or clunky. In this case, it's the latter.

There are no planes to Dakota,
but with feet or not,
I'll crawl to and fro
ignoring the sand
that soak into my wounds.


The third stanza comes back with what the first stanza already had with Dakota, and it comes back strong. This is arguably my favorite stanza here, though I did find the usage of 'to and fro' to be a little debatable. You're talking about crawling somewhere, so where are you crawling to and fro? I understand that it means to and from, but it's a little bit awkward being in the piece. I believe you mean 'soaks' as Hannah pointed out in the last line here, but other than that, this is a solid stanza.

It is the east, and Dakota is the sun;
arise, fair maiden, and lovingly slay me.


I love the last couplet here, though we lose the aspect of the poem that revolved around social constructs and society by the end of the piece, so it's a little odd, and I wonder as to why you decided to add those parts in there. It's not that I don't enjoy them, because I do, it's just that I would like to see a little more of it in the later stanzas (though I'm not sure exactly where you would fit them in). Overall, solid piece with some great lines like in the introductory stanza that could use some revision.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I hope I helped and have a great day!

Image




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:52 am
View Likes
Hannah wrote a review...



Willard, hi!

I was immediately struck by this poem's opening. I love the sense of being aware, but also longing to be unaware. I know that love is a social construct, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming about grand gestures like quoting Romeo and Juliet in visceral, personal ways. And I love that you pair it with something infinitely more personal and specific -- living in a tree fort in North Dakota -- so we know immediately that that tree fort is as grand and full of romance as R&J. You have given us a shred of backstory, but we are already on the same emotional page.

And I felt like I was with you in the first line of the second stanza -- society couldn't corrupt that pure romance -- but the last three lines of that stanza are not coming together for me. I get the sense with the phrase "emotional preservation" that you might be going for a sense of trying to hold onto emotional memories against that force of "awareness", but I think that stanza needs to be unpacked a bit more to be reachable, especially when compared with the accessibility of the other stanzas.

I love stanza three, though I think you meant "soaks"? And the ending is working fine, although there might be a way to work in a subtle reference to one of the previous stanzas to bring a better sense of connected-ness? For example, you mention the butter knife in stanza 1, so would it fit with your poetic sense to change "slay" to "slice" or "score"? I don't think that's a very good suggestion, but something down that path might work.

I hope this review is helpful for you! Let me know if you have any questions/comments about it. Thanks for sharing,

Hannah




User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 1335
Reviews: 277

Donate
Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:41 pm
Charm says...



I'm so glad you decided to publish this one. It's definitely one of my favorite poems of yours. It's so so good!





You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken