z

Young Writers Society


12+

cardboard castles

by Evander


we rip into our cardboard castles, waiting for childsize scissors make the edges smooth;
the light from the outside world fades away with the promise of pizza lingering, never spoken.
we wait for political revolution, despite not knowing what "distribution of wealth" means,
because all we know is that melted popsicles taste delicious in front of PBS Kids on the TV;
we watch animated teachers tell us that learning is necessary in bright colors,
entranced without knowing the reasons why.

hunger rumbles in our bellies while syrup coats our tongues, as mom yells at us
for the plastic we left on the floors from forgotten popsicles.
"let them eat pizza," he whispers.
historical context is lost on this soul.

we left our cardboard castles by the pizza boxes, as our father dragged them back
because you can't throw out memories that you've never made and the past holds tight
our history books are forgotten on plastic shelves crushing under the weight of ignorance
"marie antoinette was a type of puppet, right?" and then the lesson ends before it began

this message has been sponsored by our mathbooks,
nine more pages you we can leave the apartment.
because history will repeat itself, so what's the point?
this is made possible by children like you,
stunted in your living room as roaches crawl on wrappers.

Thank You.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 149
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:37 pm
summerdepressionexe wrote a review...



Hey, this is Summerdepressionexe; I have a quick review for you.

This piece is beautifully disjointed. It doesn't have much in the form of an overarching 'plot,' but it all falls under the same message, which is why it works.

I love the line "we wait for political revolution, despite not knowing what 'distribution of wealth means, because all we know is that melted popsicles taste delicious in front of PBS Kids on the TV." It takes me back to my childhood and really shines in your theme of innocence.

In the future, I would suggest doing a quick grammar and spelling check on your work before posting it. I saw quite a few typos, which is not a big deal on this site, but may cause some problems if you ever try to publish your work.

Lastly, I love how you use capitalization to your advantage. The entire poem is lowercase, except the last line, which makes "Thank You" all the more powerful.

Anyways... have an awesome day, Evander, and keep writing!! :)




User avatar
862 Reviews


Points: 29096
Reviews: 862

Donate
Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:36 pm
View Likes
Morrigan wrote a review...



Hey man, you know I love you, so I'm not gonna bother with the whole "this is great but--" and I'm gonna just ramble on about whatever I see at the moment.

So the poem starts out with an ambiguous pronoun: we. While I think that sometimes this is all right, I really want to know who the "we" is specifically in this poem. I think that it would anchor the poem a little more in reality because you've got a lot of stuff going on here, and I think a more concrete anchor would help this poem come into its full glory.

waiting for childsize scissors make the edges smooth;

I like this image, but did you mean "scissors to?"
Also, I think it's clunky. I've never waited for scissors to do anything on their own, and that's the image I got here. Using a stronger, more descriptive verb would benefit this. I also think that "safety scissors" would be more effective than "childsize." Safety implies that someone's given you the scissors with the expectation you're going to stab someone, whereas childsize is a little less poignant and meaningful.

the light from the outside world fades away with the promise of pizza lingering, never spoken.
This is kinda wordy. I would probably pare it down so it says something like, "the outside light fades with promises of pizza lingering, never spoken." Overall, I think you should go back through the poem and clean up some wordiness. It doesn't seem like you stuck to a rigid meter form, so concise seems to be the best way to go here.

means,
because all we know

Technically there aren't supposed to be commas before because (this also irks me) but I pointed this out because I think a semi-colon would work nicely here instead of "because." It just would feel so right, man.

we left our cardboard castles by the pizza boxes
Can the castles be made of old pizza boxes? I feel like this would further integrate the symbol of the castles and the pizza boxes, even if it's stretching the truth of the matter a little bit.

as our father dragged them back
I'm not getting a clear image from this. Where is he taking them? I feel like it would have more significance if he was throwing them out or something.

the past holds tight
Yo I think you would benefit from having punctuation at the end of this bit.

Dude I really dig what you're putting down. I love all the recurring objects that seem to point to a larger point; I love that you do make a larger point at the end, how everything connects like PBS and Viewers Like You. I think the theme that you could develop more is the history side of things. I feel like that one was the most vague, and I feel like there's more of a story behind it. But I'm just not getting it right now.

Altogether, keep doing what you're doing because you've got a knack for this kind of thing. I hope this review proves useful to you! Happy poeting, Castor!




Evander says...


Hmm, yeah, I've run into a bit of a problem lately with using nonspecific pronouns. I think that's mostly because most of my recent poems are based off of events in my head, as opposed to things that actually happened with the people I'm referencing. (Like my brother and I did actually eat melted popsicles in front of PBS Kids, we did have cardboard castles [although I can't recall building them], and there was a roach infestation in my old apartment.) I'm a bit wary of being specific and dragging him into this, when these events didn't really happen like I told them in the poem. (The bit about revolution actually draws upon how I used to shout historical/political phrases without context, and how he does the same now, but that never really happened when we were both little kids at the same time. We also both never had lessons on French history together.)

(wow long paragraph. apologies for that.)


The cardboard castles are actually based on the boxes that our homeschool books came in. If you cut the boxes just right, then the inside make it look like a cardboard castle. Here's a picture from Google:

Image

I guess I could change it to pizza boxes? But I think it would lose an aspect of it being tied to the faulty homeschooling I'm going through.

I'm not getting a clear image from this. Where is he taking them? I feel like it would have more significance if he was throwing them out or something.

Oh! That's a reference to current events. Even we don't have space for those cardboard boxes, my dad refuses to throw them out. I imagined him dragging them back into the cluttered, roach infested apartment. I will definitely expand on that and make it clearer!

I'll definitely be sure to develop the history side of things when I expand and rewrite this!

(Also thanks for the punctuation help. <3 )

Thank you sooo much! I seriously owe you.

-Castor



Morrigan says...


Yeah, man, no problem. It was a pleasure to read!

If you want me to help you in a writerfeedpad sometime, just hit me up and I'll get in there and type all over your poem. :)



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 372
Reviews: 11

Donate
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:59 am
2001cvs wrote a review...



Hmm. I will get to the point.

There was a little disjoint between the stanzas, it didn't seem to be one continuous flow. I understand some of the messages given, but there are unclear.

Try to space out your lines more, it confuses the reader a little bit with everything jumbled together. Also, the beggining of each line should be capitalized.

Keep up the god work! And don't be discouraged!

-Caroline




User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 1538
Reviews: 61

Donate
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 pm
View Likes
Jadefox wrote a review...



Hi Castor,

Thank you for posting this piece :) I enjoyed the nostalgic imagery and the current criticisms. The recurrent imagery of the "cardboard castles" and food ( :) )definitely tied the poem together and conveyed the sense of helplessness in access to information and the current climate. Overall, you truly have some powerful imagery throughout the entire piece.

I have a couple of criticisms. I don't claim to be necessarily a solid poet or an avid poetry reader, however there were a couple of things I noticed. I noticed you have a pattern in the funnel length. The first and third stanzas have longer and more complex phrases while the second and fourth are more simplistic. While I believe this pattern can help give the reader a break from the complex stanzas and emphasize particular statements or final imagery, I struggled with finding the flow. As I read the poem, I felt as if it was a bit disjointed within the stanzas themselves. There didn't seem to be a clear direction from one phrase to the next within the stanzas.

If you were hoping to communicate a sense of anger or frustration through this structure, I understood that more through the imagery than the structure and pattern. Free form poetry doesn't necessarily have to have a pattern, but it felt in your poem that you meant for it to have some sort of effect from the pattern/structure. If this is something you want to work on, I would suggest simply reading it out loud or reading too people because you'll catch where it's awkward, typos, or where it doesn't work.

That being said, I think you have a solid foundation of imagery and ideas all throughout the poem. I hope my criticism doesn't discourage you! My complete intention is for it to be constructive :) Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

All the best,

Jadefox




Evander says...


Thank you so much for the review!

The disconnect with the stanzas is probably aided in part by the fact that I wrote this during a poetry jam where I kept on tabbing out and tabbing back, so I never really had a consistent flow in mind while writing. I'll definitely try and work on that when I edit it.

Gah, I knew I forgot something! Yeah, I'll definitely read this out loud and try to find the awkward bits.

Don't worry; your criticism is completely welcomed!

Thanks so much,

-Castor




That smells like the inside of a tropical rainforest.
— Yoshikrab's friend