The Lion and The Wolf

by LittleFox

*Sorry I tried to break up the stanzas but it wasn't working when I saved changes. They are supposed to break after each period.

You are a lion.

You put your pride out in the open,

Like a rose on your chest

I am a wolf

I keep what pride I have

Locked away as if it may be stolen from me.

You are a creature of the sun

Always shining from within

I see you and feel your warmth

Spread from you to me.

But the chill in my bones

Quiets all fires.

I hide in the cover of night,

No longer warmed by the sun.

You became a lion,

But you were once the sky.

Now when I lift my eyes upward,

I see only blackness.

Flowers grow in your footsteps

But twisting brambles and thorns grow in mine

So that I cannot retrace my steps

Without spilling my own blood.

I sit alone in the falling snow

And the dry air freezes my lungs,

Constructing ice crystals in my blood.

I was once a wolf

But now I am little more

Than a shivering, whimpering dog.

Celticdeer wrote a review...

Hello, I really like this poem very much. It is darkly beautiful, romantic and filled with emotion. I do not think there is any grammar mistakes here. I get the impression that this is a love poem. It deeply and eloquently sums up the feelings of sadness, struggle, turmoil and loneliness but also feelings of love and admiration. From my perspective this is a truly eloquent, gripping, emotional reflection on a passionate yet tragic love between the lion - representing beauty and extroversion and the lone wolf - representing introversion, loneliness and hidden passion.
Anyway, that was my review and I hope It was helpful.
Keep on writing.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:15 am
Spartan118 wrote a review...

Hi this is spartan 118 here for a quick review and to make your day a lil better, so kick back and relax.
First off this poem seems like it's a love poem from my perspective but I am not sure. I love how you make it seem like there is some th thing more to this poem, like something deeper behind it. I see no grammar errors or anything error type wise. I really like your poem cause it's so deep with hidden means behind it.
Well that's my review and I hope you enjoyed it. I know it was short but oh well. I hope you keep up the good work and enjoy your day.

A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau