The Name Carver.

by alexblackwell

It was first grade
and you did something
no one ever dared to;
You drew a house
on the surface of the desk
with a bird flying
in the sky that was blue.

In fourth grade
and you did something
that was forbidden.
You took the geometrical compass
and carved your name;
The letters were incorrigible 
and wanted some space,
the 'L' was way too long,
but you were a hero,
you couldn't be wrong.

In seventh grade
you did something
every child does.
You took a permanent marker
and wrote 'math sucks'

In tenth grade
you did something
that made your eight friends cry.
You carved their names on the school bench;
You bid them farewell in a tux 
your pocket square wiped the single tear
rolling down the cheek of your crush.

12 years from then
you are doing something yet again.
The pocket square lies safe
in my priced possessions chest.
Your handwriting is elegant now
and you have a carving tool.
Fearing you'll ruin something I chide
but you've etched our names
on the wooden crib of our child.

crobbins wrote a review...

Hey, crobbins here for a review!

I'm glad to be reviewing some classic poetry again!

So, onto the nit-picks!

I did find the transition between paragraph three and four was a bit shaky. You go from speaking about light-hearted themes to dark themes. This is an abrupt transition to make, and is very hard to execute. Maybe try shifting into a time in between, talking about the events between as a transition?

I didn't find any spelling issues!

That's all I found for spelling and grammar/formatting issues!

So, I interpret this as the main character dying, and your friends' reactions, followed by the passing on of their legacy. I loved the plot as I interpreted it! (I may be completely off of what you are trying to depict, sorry!) I think that everyone has been touched by death, which makes this piece so relatable. Death may hurt us, but it allows us to come together under writing and poetry. I think this is a beautiful concept.

I loved the seamless formatting of this piece. Your ability to separate the ideas in different paragraphs while keeping the grammar and spelling impeccable astounds me. Great job!

So overall, good job with this! I loved it! I'd love to read more of your work!

-crobbins

SkyeDreamer says...

Just dropping in to say that the concept for this poem is really cool! I loved how the last stanza came as such a shock- there was nothing to suggest that they would get married, but it ties in well and is just the twist you want to end on. Keep writing!

Pentavalence wrote a review...

Hi! Pentavalence here with a review.

I enjoyed this poem, especially the first couple of stanzas. The tone's simple and sweet, and the rhymes all make sense (well, except for one. I'll get to that later.)

The last two stanzas were super confusing for me though. I'll just go through the lines that bugged me:

'that made your eight friends cry.' Eight friends? Why eight? It seems oddly specific when you could have just said 'friends'. Is there a reason?

'You carved their names on the school bench;' Why would this make them cry?

'You bid them farewell in a tux' A tux? Is this prom? Is the subject of the poem usually this dapper? For someone who was writing 'math sucks' a stanza ago, this is an abrupt change of character. Also, why are they leaving?

'in my priced possessions chest.' It should be 'prized' not 'priced'. Also, the subject switches here from 'you' to 'me', but it's just for one line and it doesn't make sense, even if they're married.

'Fearing you'll ruin something I chide
but you've etched our names
on the wooden crib of our child.'

Chide and child...I don't know, the rhyme doesn't work for me. There should also be a comma between ruin something and I chide (fearing you'll ruin something, I chide). I love the fact that the subject and speaker are married, and I know it's hard to fit a lot of information in a poem, but I feel like one more stanza between tenth grade and 12 years later would help the flow of the poem...maybe when they get married? Just an idea.

Anyway, that's about it. Keep writing!

-Penta

DrLavender wrote a review...

Hey alexblackwell! Dr Lavender here to do a quick review for you! Let's get into this!

It was first grade
and you did something
no one ever dared to;
You drew a house
on the surface of the desk
with a bird flying
in the sky that was blue.

I hope you'll forgive me for being nit-picky here. I only say what I do with the intent of helping you, the writer! In this stanza, I would suggest reworking "on the surface of the desk", to "on the surface of a desk". From my perspective at the least, it would show there is multiple desks in the room instead of just a singular desk. Also, in the last line, "in the sky that was blue", perhaps consider: "in the sky shaded blue".

In fourth grade
and you did something
that was forbidden.
You took the geometrical compass
and carved your name;
The letters were incorrigible
and wanted some space,
the 'L' was way too long,
but you were a hero,
you couldn't be wrong.

I'm a little confused when you mention the letters wanted some space. Overall, this is a great stanza, but that line just has me a bit perplexed. How would letters want space?

In seventh grade
you did something
every child does.
You took a permanent marker
and wrote 'math sucks'

I agree, it does! Well, guess it depends on the teacher. Also, I recommend a period at the last line. Your other stanzas end with one...gotta keep it consistent!

In tenth grade
you did something
that made your eight friends cry.
You bid them farewell in a tux
rolling down the cheek of your crush.

Wait wait wait, what just happened? The tone of the poem abruptly shifts from humorous and light-hearted to something more serious and dark. Did he die? Die he move? I can't help but feel a bit confused!

12 years from then
you are doing something yet again.
The pocket square lies safe
in my priced possessions chest.
Your handwriting is elegant now
and you have a carving tool.
Fearing you'll ruin something I chide
but you've etched our names
on the wooden crib of our child.

Another abrupt transition! Now we've forwarded 12 years, and I still have no idea what happened as to why your character bid farewell. On a grammatical note, I would recommend spelling out "12". You spell out "tenth" grade and all the other grades, when you could've represented them with numerical values as well, but you didn't. In order to keep consistency, that's what I'd recommend.

Overall, I did like this poem, but I just found the last two stanzas to have extremely abrupt shifts in tone and perspective!

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:30 pm
Que wrote a review...

Hey alexblackwell!

I really like this poem and how you show the passage of time throughout. I think you're letting yourself be confined by the rhyme scheme a little. Remember, it's not as important as how your poem sounds and the emotion behind it. I also think that it's a little weird that you point out in the first two stanzas that the carving is forbidden, while at the end it's a happy, positive thing because it's on the crib of a child.

It was first grade
and you did something
no one ever dared to;
You drew a house
on the surface of the desk
with a bird flying
in the sky that was blue.

In the third line, I think it would flow a bit better if you said, "that no one dared to do"- it feels like it rolls off the tongue more easily, but try some things. And also, the last line? I assume it's just a pencil drawing on the desk, so how could the sky be blue? I know you wanted to rhyme, and that the sky is actually blue, but it doesn't fit the scene very well.

In fourth grade
and you did something
that was forbidden.
You took the geometrical compass
and carved your name;
The letters were incorrigible
and wanted some space,
the 'L' was way too long,
but you were a hero,
you couldn't be wrong.

The fourth line seems kind of long and awkward. I don't think you have to specify that it's a "geometrical" compass, but maybe you could say, "you took your compass from geometry" or something along those lines. Also, I'm not sure that the word you want is incorrigible. It means incorrectable, and while that may be true of the letters, maybe you're looking for something more along the lines of illegible? Last, why is this person a hero for writing on a desk? Many kids do that. Maybe it's because it's something very daring, but it's not very clear. Maybe for the very last line you could say, "you didn't think you could be wrong", but even that doesn't quite fit. Saying that you couldn't be wrong kind of foreshadows that something will go wrong, but nothing ever does.

In seventh grade
you did something
every child does.
You took a permanent marker
and wrote 'math sucks'

I feel like along this whole poem, you're leading from childish things this person did, and how it eventually shaped his future. I think you should focus more on the things that were carved and where they were carved, and show his progression in personality through that. Exactly like this stanza says, every child does this. It's not about how this person is unique, and it's also the only one not described deeply or even about carving at all. I would suggest removing this stanza or making it deeper and more meaningful with more imagery.

In tenth grade
you did something
that made your eight friends cry.
You bid them farewell in a tux
rolling down the cheek of your crush.

In all honesty, I thought this was about a suicide. What is the importance of a goodbye in tenth grade? Where would he be going- he's not college aged yet. This seems really dramatic to me, as he's even in a tux. So I don't really understand what it's all about, maybe you could make that part more clear? Maybe the friends are crying because he kindly carved their names, but that doesn't seem very likely or moving. I'm sure you know what's going on behind this stanza, it's just that the readers do not.

12 years from then
you are doing something yet again.
The pocket square lies safe
in my priced possessions chest.
Your handwriting is elegant now
and you have a carving tool.
Fearing you'll ruin something I chide
but you've etched our names
on the wooden crib of our child.

This might be best if you write 12 out as twelve! I like how in the end, I guess he marries his crush and continues his passion for carving. In the third line, you probably meant prized instead of priced. ;) This is a pretty powerful closing, but it would be better if the previous stanza was clearer so that the readers are thinking along the right track instead of spending time confused.

Anyway, love this start! I'd like to see you take this further and deeper, but it's a good idea right now. Just keep working at it!

-Falco

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:10 pm
RossLighting wrote a review...

I thought it was amazing. I liked how it progressed in years, and the realism of it all. These things normal children sometimes do, and I feel it fits perfectly into the story. And the ending part of etching the names? Pure brilliance. I thought that part was very well done, and rounded it off perfectly. Keep writing these great poems, I really enjoyed this one!

As I said, keep writing!

-Ross

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:22 pm
PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hello, I'm here with a review.

I did enjoy the simplicity of the poem.

But these lines

the 'L' was way too long,
but you were a hero,
you couldn't be wrong.

weren't particularly good, like sabyemerald said.

And this stanza

In seventh grade
you did something
every child does.
You took a permanent marker
and wrote 'math sucks'

doesn't match the rest, because "you" were carving and while it suddenly became a marker.

But in

In tenth grade
you did something
that made your eight friends cry.
You bid them farewell in a tux
rolling down the cheek of your crush.

I was slightly confused. I was wondering what's a "tux" and "pocket square". Perhaps it would have been a better idea to "include pocket square".

I like the path you took with the poem, from how clumsy "you" started to how elegant "you" became. But I still feel that there was some parts that don't make sense, so you'll have to work on it a bit. But overall, I definitely enjoyed reading the poem.

Have a great day!

Princess Ink

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:03 pm
sabyemerald wrote a review...

Wow. I like the way you order the events chronologically, piling up the clues like some foreshadowing, to reveal the last stanza in the poem. But I think that the ideas are not organized especially in this stanza:
"In tenth grade
you did something
that made your eight friends cry.
You bid them farewell in a tux
rolling down the cheek of your crush."

I can't understand why from making your eight friends cry, it suddenly jumped to wiping the single tear of your crush.

In this part also:
"The letters were incorrigible
and wanted some space,
the 'L' was way too long,
but you were a hero,
you couldn't be wrong."

I think "but you were a hero, you couldn't be wrong" doesn't quite match. Think of an analogy that would fit in this part.

Correct me if I'm wrong but based on my interpretation, the persona became a carver right? Because if he/she is, it's great that you used elements that could depict the person as a carver. The math sucks part, however, can be removed since it didn't contribute to the entirety of the poem.

Over all, your work is a good read. You just need to arrange and unify your ideas carefully so that the message you want to deliver will be understood. Good job in this poem! Hoping to read more of your works.
-Saby

Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief