z

Young Writers Society


Violence

The Battle for Paris : Chapter 1 : Paris.

by Leekeer, Ehtaniel


The sun gave its infamous blistering heat  which encompassed that of a wooden, torn carriage. On top of the carriage is a woman wearing a large cloak which covered her from neck height and down. The cloak hid a mi-parti or parti-colored garments made of two contrasting fabrics, one on each side, arose for men of upper- class. A large rapier glinting in the sun's light arose from her left side. On the other side was a  small bow mounted on a stock  with a mechanism that holds the drawn bow string. The horse lets out a neigh as the carriage comes to a halt. The woman eyes the surrounding area with ease as bustling merchants pass her by. The street is in enriched with roads that are newly paved and you can see the reflecting light beaming from it, the houses to her around her all were stone covered but had this marble effect as far as the eye can see. Disease ridden dogs plague the alleyway alongside the poor lower class. 

She gets out of the carriage and takes her luggage with her to a nearby hotel. As she enters the hotel she sees the beautiful plastered walls with roses dancing in rows, near the stone desk was a beautifully cut garden tree that is shaped in a spiral, there were baskets and baskets of them all placed around the hotel. A  man was standing behind the desk. His face was almost completely hidden by a long, shaggy mane of hair and a wild, tangled beard, but you could make out his eyes, glinting like black beetles under all the hair.

'' Welcome to Bon Viveu hotel. We cater for your health and specifically your needs'' He informed.

'' Meline, Meline Herdeaux.'' She replies. She then grabs her bag of denars and gives it to the receptionist. The receptionist then shows her to her room. '' This room was created by the great Avaria Noter!, one of the most famous architects to ever grace our hotel.'' He annouced. ''Sure.'' she scoffed. Like she cared about the hotel and its inhabitants. As they enter the room  it is beautifully lit by the sun as it gives a radiant shower all over Meline. The bed was hidden between two circular wooden tables and a small stone pillar. Meline not caring about the receptionist quickly pushes him out of the room. '' Erm!, excuse me ma'dam you haven't seen your bathroom ye-'' He was quickly cut short due the door slamming shut in his face. Meline then sitting on a chair near a table grabs one of her luggage compartments and reaches for a white laced letter with a name on the fore front. `Meline`.  She then opens the letter.

- Dear Meline, I know you love it there in Bordeaux but something's come up in Paris. I need you here, i fear for my life and i want you here by my-side... I fear for you too. Its not safe anymore don't trust anyone not even those you care for. 

Louis Herdeaux-

Meline's face is emotionless and her body motionless. A few minutes pass before her dream state is interuppted by noise blasting from the square. She walks to the window to have a clear indication of what going on but she sees elite swords-woman pour from east side of the street like moths to light and begin to harass the merchants of the street. It appears that one of the merchants is accused of rebelling against the king. Meline holding tight onto her rapier as the commotion continues. The Swords-women begin to un-sheathe their rapiers and target a small  man with long dark hair that was as watery as fish jumping on a boat to escape certain death. His face was so dirty it was as a smoker's lung had created a face. He began to ran, fearing for his life he pulls an innocent bystander and whips out a small crossbow. 

Meline impatiently ran  out of the room, down the flight of stairs, pass by the receptionist and through the door and into the now deserted street. She quickly un-sheathes her rapier. ''Let him go!'' She exclaims. '' Not until you and these heartless women let me go alive!.'' He cries. One swords-woman not heeding his word, impulsively runs towards the man,  but the man shoots the bystander out of fear. '' No!!!'' She shouted. The man then fires at the swords-woman, the arrow is disloged  into her eye immediately killing her. Meline runs towards the man quickly dodging his arrows, she then jumps onto a cart and lunges towards him, impaling him. His cries are silenced by the blood clotting in his throat. His lifeless body  rolls onto the bloody pavement once shiny as silver. One of the swords women approach her. Her face covered in freckles, Her eyes were serene blue and her hair was short and blonde. She was wearing dark, blue battle armour covering her from the feet to the neck. '' You have great fighting skills, we could use with another recruit.'' She suggested. Meline staring at this woman replies, ''I have other things to do, but thanks for the offer.'' Meline casually walking back into the hotel telling herself to forget the whole thing. The swords-woman standing there, observing Meline. '' She's here.'' She says to herself. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 1350
Reviews: 13

Donate
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 pm
Chaska wrote a review...



Leek!
Okay, so as promised I'm here with a review. I'm gonna run through the chapters one at a time so bare with me.
I'm gonna run through nitpicks first and then we shall get to the good stuffs, so here goes:

The sun gave its infamous blistering heat which encompassed that of a wooden, torn carriage.

Okay, so first off I dont think that 'infamous' is really the right word to use here. I think just 'the sun gave off a blistering heat' would do fine.

The cloak hid a mi-parti or parti-colored garments made of two contrasting fabrics, one on each side, arose for men of upper- class

I think this sentence just needs re structuring. It sounds like the garments rose for men of upper class, but I think that perhaps you mean that she did?

specifically your needs'' He informed.

Okay, so you need to have some form of punctuation before you close those speech marks, either a comma or a full stop. It should probably also be 'he informed her'.

Avaria Noter!, one of the most famous architects to ever grace our hotel.

After Avaria Noter just use the comma, if you want the ! then put it at the end of the sentence. I'm pretty sure that was probably just a typo though.

'' Meline, Meline Herdeaux.'' She replies. She then grabs her bag of denars and gives it to the receptionist. The receptionist then shows her to her room. '' This room was created by the great Avaria Noter!, one of the most famous architects to ever grace our hotel.'' He annouced. ''Sure.'' she scoffed.

So here I'm going to give an example of what I mean. After each person talks you should begin a new paragraph, grammatical rules are bleh but they make things easier to read. So, to use this section as an example it should probably look something like :
''Meline, Meline Herdeaux.'' She replies.
She then grabs her bag of denars and gives it to the receptionist. The receptionist then shows her to her room. '' This room was created by the great Avaria Noter, one of the most famous architects to ever grace our hotel!'' He announced.
''Sure.'' she scoffed.

white laced letter with a name on the fore front.

The imagery to describe the letter here is beautiful. I'm not sure fore front is the right word to use though. 'her name on the front' would be fine.

by my-side

Just get rid of the - here

like moths to light

Nothing wrong here, just wanted to say I love this simile.

began to ran

began to run

Her face covered in freckles, Her eyes

Capitals in the middle of a sentence... no no Leek, stop that xD

And that's it. Mostly these are grammatical errors. My suggestion to help spot these, read your work out loud to yourself, if something sounds a little off look over it and perhaps change it. It will just help spot these kind of errors yourself. I know Zoom has already mentioned it, but perhaps look at your tenses in places too, it can sometimes disrupt the flow of the piece when the tenses change, but again no biggie.

Your imagery within this piece is beautiful! You've made it so easy to picture everything in this chapter, and the detail you put into the fight scene has carried through in this chapter which is great! I love how fast paced the fight scenes are as well, it mirrors what I presume is the fast pace of the scene in how it plays out in my head if that makes sense.
I also absolutely loved how you've used a cliffhanger, makes me want to read on straight away. It definitely keeps the reader interested. So as for that, I'm going to go and read the next chapters. Hopefully this helped.
Chas




Leekeer says...


Well thanks Chas



User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 344
Reviews: 126

Donate
Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:11 pm
Aleta wrote a review...



First thing I noticed in here was the imagery. Very well done on this part. I can imagine the blistering heat and starved dogs foaming at the mouth.

The sun gave its
This is just a suggestion, but gave seems a bit out of place here. Perhaps the sun shed its infamous blistering heat on the...[or shone].

On top of the carriage is a woman
So she is actually riding on the roof of the carriage? Or did I just misinterpret this?

A large rapier glinting in the sun's light arose from her left side.
Hm. I feel like arose is too awkward here. You could try: which peeked out from her left side(if you wanted to). This is only a suggestion.

The street is in enriched with roads that are newly paved and you can see the reflecting light beaming from it, the houses to her around her all were stone covered but had this marble effect as far as the eye can see.
Spotted a run-on here. It starts to become confusing around when you say "and you can see". Also, "to her around her all were" sounds odd as well. I would suggest rewording most of this. Here is an example so you can think of something:

The street is enriched with newly paved roads. Even the poor men could see the reflecting light beaming from it. The houses all around here were stone covered but had a marble effect as far as the eye could see.

She gets out
I think gets is a bit too overused in literature just because it sounds elementary. You could replace it with she steps out or something like that.

As she enters the hotel
Comma here.

she sees the beautiful plastered walls with roses dancing in rows, near the stone desk was a beautifully cut garden tree that is shaped in a spiral, there were baskets and baskets of them all placed around the hotel.

No bath salts for you! One of your weaknesses is run on sentences when you are describing everything. I think the way you could resolve this is type it out however you want to at first then break it down into manageable sentences that would make more sense. Like this:

She sees the beautiful plastered walls with rows of roses. Near the stone desk was a beautifully cut garden tree shaped in a spiral. (Etc, etc)

glinting like black beetles under all the hair.
Ooh. Nice imagery.

She then grabs her bag of denars and gives it to the receptionist. The receptionist then shows her to her room.

You say 'then' repeatedly here. I'd say if you just switched around one of the sentences as far as word choice goes it would sound better. Let's see about the second sentence here.
*The receptionist guides her to her room.
*The young man/receptionist beckons for her to follow him down the hall.
(just some examples)

As they enter the room it is beautifully lit by the sun as it gives a radiant shower all over Meline.

The beginning of the sentence makes me think the sentence will end with the same theme but it quickly transitions. You are providing good imagery with definite potential but if you slowed down and made sure to ask yourself 'is this awkward or not?' maybe it would help. Stating that the room itself is beautifully lit by the sun and throws its radiant rays on Meline would probably sound better.
Ex: The room is beautifully lit by the sun, throwing its radiant shower all over Meline.

Meline not caring about the receptionist quickly pushes him out of the room.
Commas needed. *Meline, not caring about the receptionist, quickly pushes him out of the room.

quickly cut short due the door slamming shut in his face.
I think just leaving it at cut short would sound better. But this is only my thought.

`Meline`.
Those little ' are not needed here. Only the italics.

anymore don't trust anyone not even those you care for.
Make sure to separate this. Ex: ...anymore. Do not trust anyone, not even those you care for.

interuppted by noise blasting from the square.
*interrupted

what going on but she sees elite swords-woman pour from east side
*what is going on

Meline holding tight onto her rapier as the commotion continues.
It should be holds, not holding. Melanie holds tight onto her rapier as the commotion continues.

smoker's lung had created a face.
This is just confusing itself. You could say...his face resembled that of a smoker's damaged lungs. Or something similar.

I did not bother with correcting the last paragraph as I did not want to correct every single little bit. :)

STRONG POINT
Imagery, imagery, imagery! I can imagine every single thing in this story. It gives me kind of an Arab vibe, you know?

WEAK POINT
Awkward sentences, awkward terms. Run on sentences.

I liked this one.




Leekeer says...


Aleta thank you for the review and its suppose to be a french vibe but its ok. AND DAMN YOU FAST!!!!!!!.
better review than some people (zoom). -_-



Aleta says...


aww thanks you we all know zoom is a pathetic piece of human trash(lolz)
it was kind of french in the beginning because I imagined her wearing the cloak and I imagined gloves kind of. than it seemed arab to me at the end, don't know why



Aleta says...


inform me when the next comes out though you've piqued my interest



Omni says...


Hey now, no need to call people names



Aleta says...


I was kidding lol



Leekeer says...


Yeah me and zoom sorted it out. Its all bees and fun.



User avatar
154 Reviews


Points: 10017
Reviews: 154

Donate
Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:04 pm
Zoom wrote a review...



This is difficult to read due to how often you switch tenses:

Present:

On top of the carriage is a woman wearing a large cloak


Past:

On the other side was a small bow mounted on a stock


Present:

The horse lets out a neigh as the carriage comes to a halt


Past:

the houses to her around her all were stone covered


The switching makes it too hard for me to focus on what is happening. I feel as if you wanted the piece to be written in present tense, but it feels more natural for you to use past tense. I highly suggest either writing this in past tense so that you can be more consistent, or spend more time reading and writing present tense until it comes completely natural to you. This is one of those errors you cannot get away from, and will make or break your writing.

Glancing further on, I can see your paragraphs are also quite long. I also suggest to work on your formatting by starting a new paragraph whenever you introduce a new idea, concept, subject etc

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll do fine. If you do happen to re-write in past tense let me know and I’ll be happy to re-review.

Zoom




Leekeer says...


I find this review meh-like but informative to say the least. And when you review its seems to be a nitpick not a review. Review's balance between your thoughts on the story not '' oh you wrote in present tense thats what destroyed your story'' thats just being a jerk. And if you review closeley you can see that i intended to do switches to create an even more realistic view towards my story but describing a character is always past tense how could you do it present tense, you brought zero concrete evidence towards it and you didn't enjoy my work cause it had switches between them if you look at stories you could almost critically assert many of them having switches. You need to review better than this because you only brought descriptions and actions were too hard for me to read because of course descriptions have to be in present tense not past and actions have to be in past not present mostly. I find this review very off. I don't want a review to say the chapter was too hard to read because of the switches i wan't grammar mistakes, things to make my work better. But what you pointed out didn't it was just blatant misreviewing. As a reviewer myself please work on your reviews next time. Because next time you could just completely destroy your image as a reviewer.



Zoom says...


If I stop reading a story then I'm not going to have a lot of thoughts to share about it, and if I stop reading extremely quickly, I'm pretty much only going to share the reason why. I personally find such information to be extremely valuable to an aspiring writer. If you compare your view count to review count you will notice that not a lot of people will do the same as what I did. Like I said, switching tenses is something that a lot of readers cannot work around, and I thought it was necessary to draw your attention to that as it is the most glaring downside to this piece. There aren't a lot of ways of doing so without coming across like a "jerk", however I did offer to re-review going forward.

Also I'm not concerned with my "image" as a reviewer. I joined this site stating I will offer my unfiltered feedback, and it will always be constructive and not flat-out criticism. My "image" is therefore intact.



Leekeer says...


Thank you for the review though. Kind of got it in the wrong way but its alright.




A wizard is never late. Nor is he early; he arrives precisely when he means to.
— Gandalf