Friends

by fukase

There is only one way to know who i am.
be my friend honestly like a friend should be,
you'll know what is trapped inside my closet.
the pages from my diary instantly will be yours
although i put my diary in places people can
reach and i don't put a lock on it.
diaries are meant to be read, so why keep them hidden
only for yourself? why you go crazy when someone's reading
the thing they suppose to read after you die?
-
Once you're closer to me,
you will discover the kuddelmuddel 
inside of me that you will not understand
unless you google translate it.
inside the kuddelmuddel, you will know
a puppy named Lebensmüdigkeit living inside of it.
it's always following me, comforting me
whenever those crazy people start calling me crazy.
after that, my puppy always reminds me of
"Auf einen großen Klotz gehört ein großer Keil."
next day, those crazy people aren't crazy anymore
because craziness won't follow you to the grave.
-
I'm glad that you're still sitting by my side
on this bench at the playground under the tree,
watching the kids playing while the sun fades away.
you're still thinking me as someone with better paradigm
instead of someone who only knows to be weird.
i keep telling that normal person like you
shouldn't be with me. you keep telling me
"Unter den Blinden ist der Einäugige König."
and i laugh afterward, after googling its meaning.
i always forget the meaning after googling it because
i know i won't be such a person.
i know that the puppy would kill me already
if you don't give such happiness to the adorable puppy
inside of me and change its name to Harapan.

___________________________________________

Glossary.
(in simplest definition and little wrong definition, but enough to make you understand.)

Kuddelmuddel: mess.
Lebensmüdigkeit: a disease that causes the person to have suicidal thinking.
Auf einen großen Klotz gehört ein großer Keil: fight fire with fire.
Unter den Blinden ist der Einäugige König: even one-eyed person can be a king.
Harapan: hope.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:05 pm
Virgil wrote a review...

This is Kaos here for a review, as promised!

The first thing that I noticed is that your lines tend to drag on a long time and you don't end them for several lines. I'm not saying to end them as soon as they start, but it does start to feel like it's just run-on and that you need to start a new one.

This affects how the poem is read and you need to work out all the kinks with the flow because that's something that will bring you down if you don't. There are some grammar errors that I spotted throughout the poem and I suggest adding more variety to the line length because it starts to feel like big blocks of text that we're reading and it's probably your biggest fault of the poem.

I like the idea of the diaries in the first stanza but the lines that transition into it don't really do anything for me. I suggest fleshing out the imagery of this with the diary. Describe more of the atmosphere to create more of an experience for the reader. Describe the handwriting, the ink, the perhaps yellowed pages. As well as imagery, I suggest focusing on emotional impact and weight behind your lines because it's something that I felt lacked in this poem. Give us lines that punch us and tell us that they love us at the same time.

The second stanza is something that confused me. I know you have a glossary for all of your words, but they're all mostly in the second stanza to a point where they all feel smashed together. I know you're submitting this for a contest and I don't know if that's really the best thing? It felt awkwardly implemented into the poem rather than something smooth and I kind of feel like you're overdoing it.

There's a lot of more telling and internal monologue than there is showing us what's going on and using imagery (which I felt there was a lack of). There are no images that stuck in my head after I read it, nothing really memorable that stood out to me in the crowd. The flow in the last stanza didn't really work with me, more so the last few lines that you have here.

The poem is named 'Friends', but I never really got that feel across from the poem because there wasn't much of an atmosphere to set-up the tone with. Your usage of punctuation is once again inconsistent and there's a lack of imagery, so I'm going to spin you to sensory details. Sensory details are exactly what they sound like, descriptions of the five senses. This helps better immerse the reader in the poem and makes them more emotionally invested. Onto emotionally invested, that's something that this poem didn't have. I didn't really care for the characters in the poem or the speaker, and the reader doesn't really have a reason to because it feels forced into the poem. Give us a reason to care about the poem.

Experiment, edit, read, write; keep going. I hope I helped and have a great day!

fukase says...

Thanks for the red-velvet-cake review! I really appreciate it.

And what struck me the most after reading your review was about the diary. I really like the idea you have for that. I respect it. :)

Thanks again for the review. :) The review is proven helpful.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:56 pm
CClesta wrote a review...

Hey, CC here :'D

First off...I read the other reviews, and I'd have to say that I disagree with some (one :P) of them. I love the use of those words, because they make the poem stand out in a very unique way. So well done with that!

But for some things I'd recommend fixing--let's start with the first stanza.

There is only one way to know who i am.

Upon first reading, it took me a second to get what you were trying to say. I'd add a comma after "honestly" and a semicolon after "be," so it'd read, "Be my friend honestly, like a friend should be; you'll know what is trapped inside my closet.

And for:

I think that it'd flow better and make quicker sense in the reader's mind if you changed "you'll" to "you will." But in order to keep the number of syllables (if that's something you'd be concerned about), you can change "what is" to "what's"--I think spelling that out adds a little unnecessary breath anyways...if that even makes sense.

And here:

I advise that you move the word "instantly" to right after "will," and so it'd be: "the pages from my diary will instantly be yours." I think that flows nicer.

reach and i don't put a lock on it.

And here, it seems more natural to have "reach" at the end of the first line, so it'd be
"although I put my diary in places people can reach
and I don't put a lock on it."
IDK--that might just be personal preference, but you should consider it. You may not like how that second like becomes shorter (one less syllable), but in my opinion, having it that way might add to your point. Like--you inform the reader that "you have your diary where people can reach-----------(little breath of suspense)---------and you don't put a lock on it."

Now for the second stanza. I like this stanza a lot, the way it is--I don't have much to criticize in it :'D

I like the use of "Once" in the beginning, especially. It expresses that the reader is in the process of becoming the MC's friend--as is meant by the first stanza--and it really makes the reader feel as if they're part of the poem, instead of on the outside, and just looking in.

Right here:
inside the kuddelmuddel, you will know

I suggest swapping the word "know" here; it kind of threw my off. Will I simply figure out that there's a puppy amidst the mess, or will I actually get to know that puppy? I recommend making that a little clearer :)

I like the ending of that stanza O.O

i know i won't be such a person.

This is the only part that I stumbled with while reading the third stanza. It confused me a bit at first. But the rest of the stanza flows very well, and I don't have anything else to criticize :'D

Overall, I think this is a great poem. Very powerful, with a lot of meaning and emotion behind it. And it all seems very natural, too. Not forced or fluffed up in any way. And about the ending--I don't think it is abrupt. I think the timing and the length of the entire poem is fine. Of course, this probably just depends on the reader's mindset when they go into it. The poem COULD be longer--as long as lengthening it wouldn't reduce the natural feel to it.

Thank you for this work! It is very nice.

--CC

fukase says...

Thanks for the melodic review. I like it. :)

And yes, thank you again for commenting on the poem's flow and sentence structure of it. They all will be put into consideration when I edit this again.

Again thanks. :-)

CClesta says...

Np :D

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 pm
IzzyIsHappy wrote a review...

Jesus this reminds me of old Twenty One Pilot lyrics. Damn son. Thats good.
I just want to say that I think that this is amazing and the story you tell is great. That your mind (diary) is filled with all of this mess that is your mind, and the suicidal thoughts you have. The puppy named hope was my favorite part. I like the way it flows, and how it makes it easy to connect to your readers. I usually don't really like reading long poetry and the only reason I read this is because it said I needed Google translate and I was intrigued. But maybe consider putting Google translate in the begining or put them in with the words. This was very interesting and I loved it.

Keep Writing ~Whosabell

Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:08 pm
Charm wrote a review...

Hey NicolMemo!

I enjoyed this poem quite a bit but I still have some criticism. The first thing I want to say is that I'm not a fan of using those words. I believe if you need a glossary to be able to understand the poem and trust me I've done it before. With one of my poems (a poem describing a girl with flowers using flower meanings) I ended up explaining the meanings of the flowers at the bottom and I thought it was enough. Every reviewer pointed out that they didn't understand the poem and even using the glossary didn't like it. Your poem isn't too heavily relying on those words which is good but still I'm not a fan.

it would sound better if you choose to put a comma after the first 'friend'.
reach and i don't put a lock on it.

the 'although' doesn't make sense here, unless you mean 'can't' instead of 'can'.
In the second stanza I actually liked the use of 'Kuddelmuddel' since you said 'google it', it feels sort of like the reader is part of the poem. But I also feel like you used too many of those words (especially since you used none in the first stanza, then all of the sudden you are randomly spewing out words we need a glossary to understand).
I enjoyed the end but at the beginning of the third stanza I had a feeling the poem wasn't ready to finish. Though, I enjoyed the ending, somewhere in the middle something felt off. I hope my review helped and if you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me!

marmalade

fukase says...

Thanks for the cheesecake review. :) I appreciate it.

And actually, putting can't instead of can doesn't make sense there though. You might see it if I put it on different wording.
reach and i don't put a lock on it.

Making it simpler.
I will give you my diary although I usually don't take care of it and put it somewhere people can take it and read it.

And I also agreed with the part you said this poem isn't really completed when you read the third stanza. I am trying to cover up every "something felt off", but it is hard to cover up everything.

Thanks again~!
-memo

Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:50 am
Burrow wrote a review...

Well, This was a really interesting poem, and I really did enjoy it.

There were a few grammar things that I would fix, but I like how unique it is and I think overall it is a very good poem, different but good.

Just some things that I notice than can be fixed quickly:

1. diary is meant to be read, so why keep it hidden
only for yourself? -I would just add a A at the start.

2. There is only one way to know who i am.
you'll know what is trapped inside my closet. - to me nothing in the part is wrong, I loved these three lines.

3. The only other thing I would consider doing is, putting the glossary at the start, because I defiently read it differently knowing what those words mean. Some people dont have time to re-read it twice, but that is up to you, but I do love hoe you but those different words and sayings in.

Ok so overall, a very good poem and a very different one, keep it up :)

Burrow

fukase says...

Thank you for the review. Yeah, I put the glossary at the end because well, that is the sensible thing to do. I read books that has glossary in it and glossary is usually put at the end of the book.

I forgot that this poem isn't a book. I'll try putting it at the start. Yeah, after you mentioned there are some grammar mistakes in this, these mistakes start to appear. I'll try to wipe out the mistakes.

Thanks again. :)

Burrow says...

In the end you can have it at the end, but either way you should be real happy with what you wrote :)

You'd better wise up, Pony... you get tough like me and you don't get hurt. You look out for yourself and nothing can touch you, man.
— Dallas Winston, The Outsiders