12+

The Lady Lilith

by TheStormAroundMe

http://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mc3223ddbb9a0c7481d3c2d0d7e51f2f0H0&pid=15.1

Her glowing hair

Leaves trails across fingertips

Her voice like lullabies

Siren songs from her lips

Flowers behind her head

Ribbons about her wrists

How can I not paint her?

*

The pallor of her skin

Contrasts the dark of her eyes

She smiles and caresses,

But her mouth spouts only lies

Her dress drapes elegantly

As the clouds across skies

How can I not paint her?

*

The way that she laughs

With some hidden intent

The devil within her

And yet I relent

Though she seems heaven-destined,

She is surely hell bent

How can I not paint her?

*

Consumed in her vanity

Her cheeks seem to shine

A beauty so timeless

That can never be mine

How can a demon

Have a face so divine?

How can I not paint her?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:18 pm
Charlotte2 wrote a review...

I really like this poem. The imagery is so beautiful, but also really describes the meaning of the painting well. I love how you describe the confusion in the sense of: how can something look so wonderful? I read this several times over because it was written so well, and I thought the descriptions were great. I thought "How can I not paint her?" was almost too repetitive, but it doesn't matter too much because the poem still worked really well with the repetition.

Sorry for the short review, but I don't have much time on my hands.

Nice work!

Thank you for reading! I'm happy with any review you have time for.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:22 am
UriahElroy wrote a review...

Evening sir/madam! I'm a fairweather user of this website, however I'd like to review this work.

Ah, the Scarlet Woman! The Whore of Babylon! The Prostitute of Chaos!
The title was immediately noticed by my occultic occipitial lobe.

In regards to the content of the poem, I'm aware that Rosetti's "Lady Lilith" painting was the main muse. I think the poem was superficial, praising, and fluffy as a result. However, you acknowledged this by categorizing it as "Romantic" and including the image, so I can't really dig into that.
I would like to see more of Lilith's story and history included, but that's just my cognitive bias revealing itself. You seem to have the ability to make compulsive seduction, child-sacrifice, and adultery with archangels somehow aesthetic. I'm interested to see where you could take it.

Either way, that's my admittedly useless review. It's our right as artists to tell other artists to piss off, so I couldn't blame you if you did.

Best wishes!

I wouldn't have posted the poem if I didn't want feedback. Thank you for reading!

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:41 am
Astronomer wrote a review...

Hello, TheStormAroundMe.
This is Moonwatcher, and I'm here to review your poem.

Alright, so I'm kind of trying to ignore the painting at the top there. It'd make it kind of biased as to imagery, but even ignoring it you did a great job! I'm going to start off with a nitpick. You don't use any punctuation, yet you chose to use question marks. Any reason you chose to do so? I suggest using punctuation throughout the poem, or maybe removing it altogether. Another thingy, we kind of get the part where you say:

How can I not paint her?

I feel like only saying this once is enough, although I'm sure the repetition is intentional.
You used a lot of imagery, but you were describing an image, after all. But it worked, and I don't need to see the image to visualize anything so much better. I don't have so much to say, but this was an excellent poem. Good job!

Thank you for reading it!

I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical