Going Into The Woods

by XxPheonixKittenxX

Once lived a young boy named Kanekí. had blue hair and the most beautiful silver eyes. He had a black jacket with a thorn-bush running through the sleeves. He was skinnier than any other kid in the school. He never really ate. He was also very pale. He was pale enough to hide within the snow. Most of the people in the school called him the “Vampire Ghoul.” That was only because of how pale he was.

As he ran through the woods for half an hour, he ended up tripping and falling into a hole. This hole was not like any other hole, though. This hole was bigger than a rabbit hole but smaller than a cave. He just kept falling and it felt as if it would be forever before he had finally hit the ground. A few minutes passed when Kanekí had finally hit the ground falling in a thorn-bush. The bush gave him only a couple of scratches on his legs. After getting untangled from the bush he got up and ran as fast as he could. Kaneki had kept running till he saw a figure appear. The figure became clearer and it turned out to be a cat. “Sir? Where are you going?” The cat said. Out of breath, he told the cat “I-I’m trying to get home. Do you know the way?” The cat gave a little smile. “I might...I might not.” the cat sat and smiled for a while. “Cat, do you know the way or not?” Kaneki said with frustration. “I do…” the cat sounded a little playful then. “But before I tell you must complete the three challenges to see the signs.” The cat was smiling at the time. “What sign’s? Where am I anyways?” Kaneki said confused. “Well sir you are in the Magical

I should tell you the three challenges so you can get along…” The cat had looked scared for real now. “the first challenge is to walk through the desert. The desert is full of Mythical Creatures. Do NOT touch any of them or you will start to hallucinate. Second, you must walk through the holy water of the ocean. Last, but not least, you will have to get past the two…” The cat paused and looked around to see if anyone was around. “Cat! What’s the third thing...I need to know.” Kaneki needed to leave now. “Calm down sir… The last thing you must do to find the signs has fought the guys…” Kaneki looked scared because of the guy before. “Wait...What guys?” Right, when he asked the question the cat had disappeared. “Mr.Cat? Mr, Cat! Well, there goes my help!” So he was on his way to get the challenges done. He walked through the Desert and walked through the ocean. He was to his last part. He really didn’t wanna fight them. He knew they were stronger than him. So he ended up with some scratches and he defeated the guys. He ran for a while longer and noticed the signs. “YES!” He ran to the signs. There were two signs. One sign said, “Left through the dark woods.” The other sign said, “Right to meet the Queen.” Kanekí didn’t want to go meet some ruler because he had not been used to meeting people as royal as a Queen so he went through the Dark Woods. He eventually found a tower. The tower had one window and no doors. So Kanekí thought he could be safe up in the tower and so he went and climbed the tower getting through the window. After getting in he had seen a small girl. He simply just said “Um...Hello?” The girl turned around from the corner and said: “Hello...I’m Kellenica and you are?” Kanekí took a while to answer and when he finally spoke he said “I...I’m Kanekí” He said it more in a high-pitched voice. Kellen said “Well Hello Kanekí... Would you be willing to help me?” Kanekí simply just said that he would depend on what it was.

She took about ten minutes to explain how she had to get out of the tower before SHE came back. Kanekí asked, “Who is SHE?” Kellen said, “It’s a witch that had cursed me into being young forever.”

Kaneki just couldn’t stop staring at her. Kellenica had blue eyes lighter than the sky, a silver fringe, and the most beautiful long golden hair. Plus she was about Kanekí’s age. He just couldn’t stop smiling at her. Till she broke the silence between them “Hello? Are you willing to help me?” Kanekí stared blankly into her eyes and said “Yes. Just follow me and we should get away from the witch and you can be safe. So the two had climbed down the tower and ran as fast as the two could. They ended up falling into a portal that had looked like a puddle of water. The portal had taken the two back to the place Kanekí had begun from. He showed her where she could stay and the two went to his room. Kellenica’s arm started to bleed, so Kanekí went to go get some bandages to cover her arm. He came back with the bandages and wrapped her arm. He stood staring off into the blank space. Then she had made Kanekí look at her and kissed him. He asked, “Why did you kiss me?” She said, “Because I like you...” Kaneki stared at the girl for a while. He heard a faint sound in the background calling his name. “KANEKI! KANEKI! WAKE UP!” He had finally woken up and realized it was his sister shaking his sister trying to get him to wake up. “Kaneki. You have a guest here for you.” The sister called her name and the girl came walking in. “Why hello. It's Kellen from school. Remember? I came here to work on the project. If that's okay with you…” Kaneki stared at her and thought “Was that just my imagination? Could I have taken stuff from the real world and put it into a dream?” The girl stared blankly at him. ‘Kaneki? You okay?” Kaneki snapped back “Uh...yeah. I'm fine” After the two started to work Kellen said “Kaneki...I have something to tell you…” Kaneki just stared at her for a second. “What is it, Kellen?” “Kaneki...I...i think I like you…” That’s when Kaneki had finally decided to tell her. “Kellen… I like you to…” So the two started to go out and lived happily ever after.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:48 pm
Amabilia wrote a review...

Hi Pheonix! Dreaming here to review!

Okay. First off, I want to discuss your beginning.

Once lived a young boy…
I feel like this is kind of a weak beginning. Perhaps something more along the lines of, “A young boy rushed through the thick woods. His mind was racing. ‘Vampire Ghoul’ the other kids called him. He was sickly and pale. So thin his ribs showed and clothes rarely fit him. He ran on the path he had made from his years of exploring the forest.”
There you are informed that,
He’s young.
The boy is bullied for being thin and pale.
He likes the forest.
I felt that your story is a bit rushed. Adding lots of detail is the key to a good story. WhatI do to add more details is I write the frame in a journal. Then I type it, adding as many details as I can. Then I type it out again, adding even more.
In your second paragraph I was a bit confused. Kanekí ran into a cat, but not just any cat. A talking one. Why wasn’t Kanekí surprised that the cat was talking? Does he come from somewhere where animals typically talk? Has he encountered talking cats before, or even, had he encountered this cat before? At the end of your paragraph you broke off and said,
”Well sir, you are in the Magical”

The magical what? And where’s your punctuation?
In the beginning of the third paragraph, why did the cat look scared? The was he was speaking in the second paragraph makes me feel like he’s more comfortable with the situation. How is he suddenly scared? Maybe add a stammer or two to set the mood.
”...Last, but not least, you will have to get past the two…” The cat paused and looked around to see if anyone was around. “Cat! What’s the third thing...I need to know.”

Hmmm… There are a couple things wrong with this part of the paragraph. First off, when a new person talks, you have to start a new paragraph. Also, I wouldn’t put the three dots after “What’s the third thing..” I would say it more like, “‘Cat! What’s the third thing?’ he paused, waiting for an answer, ‘I need to know!” Another thing is that you’re telling, not showing. Telling and showing is a kinda complex idea when you get down to the details, but the most simple it will ever get is this. You have to add more details. What’s going on in the background? What’s the light like? How about the Cat’s facial expression? What’s going on in Kanekí’s mind? I’m not very good at showing myself, but rereading and asking yourself these questions helps a lot.
“Mr.Cat? Mr, Cat! Well there goes my help!”
This sentence seems a bit fast. Perhaps, “‘Mr. Cat? Mr. Cat!,’ Kanekí threw his hands up, ‘Well! There goes my help!’”[/quote] would work better. Even if you don’t change this, Your first “Mr. Cat” in the quote is missing a space and the second one has a comma. (Just some nitpicks)
He walked through the Desert and walked through the ocean. He was to his last part. He really didn’t wanna fight them. He knew they were stronger than him. So he ended up with some scratches and he defeated the guys.
Wait, what? How did he get there so fast? Was the desert dry or cold? Was he hungry? Thirsty? What happened to the big fight? If you went through that whole situation with the cat, I would expect something a little bigger.
“Um...Hello?” The girl turned around from the corner and said “Hello...I’m Kellenica and you are?”
Why is the girl so friendly? Wouldn’t she be wondering why this random guy is in her tower in the Dark Woods?
She took about ten minutes to explain on how she had to get out of the tower before SHE came back. Kanekí asked “Who is SHE?” Kellen said “It’s a witch that had cursed me into being young forever.”
First off, you shouldn’t capitalize a whole word. If you’re using the word “she” as a name, then just capitalize the first letter. Second off, this girl has been curse most of her life and thrown in a tower by a witch. Why is she so open about her feelings? Wouldn’t that situation bury something deep in her that would be hard to get out?
“Yes. Just follow me and we should get away from the witch and you can be safe. So the two had climbed down the tower and ran as fast as the two could.
Why didn’t Kellen ever escape before? If she just had to climb down the tower, wouldn’t she have done it sooner?
He showed her where she could stay and the two went to his room. Kellenica’s arm started to bleed, so Kanekí went to go get some bandages to cover her arm.
What happened to her arm?
He stood staring off into the blank space. Then she had made Kanekí look at her and kissed him.
Woah. That was fast. I mean, I know it was a dream, but still that was pretty fast. Maybe add some more subtle hints here and there?

So this is the end of my review. (I hope I wasn’t too hard on you!) A few things to remember:
Your reader has never read this before and doesn’t have access to your brain. What would help them understand the story more clearly?
I have a “No two-word” rule. Don’t start two sentences in the same paragraph with the same word, unless the paragraph is pretty long and the sentences are far enough apart.
Always start a new paragraph when a different person speaks.
Never capitalize all of a word, unless it’s in directions or something.
A short story doesn’t have to be all that short. “Short story” practically means a story with no chapters aimed at an older(than 6 or 7) audience.

DreamingForever

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:05 am
Bluegirl135 says...

Hey, this is my first review.:D Anyway, I really liked the story line, it's really cute and fun.
I also loved the main character, the way you described him and his name.
Although, there are a few grammatical errors , but I understand you wrote this when you were younger.
You can tell you really used your imagination :D.
I also think the name of the story fits it perfectly.
Keep writing cause you're really great and i really enjoyed it :D.

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:04 am
Bluegirl135 wrote a review...

Eternity wrote a review...

Eternity here to review your lovely work!

What I think of the title: Going Into The Woods -- I like the title, but I'm curious as to how this story is going to go. I'm not sure if it'll entirely fit the plot, but I'm excited to see if you live up to it in grand detail.

What I think of the plot(line): I love the plot line, however I feel like I have read something that is in the middle of story, not something that is the beginning of a story. You jumped in a little too quickly. Personally, I think you could make this a little longer since it is a short story. Add details and try to get it so it's not so quickly written. TIP: Don't rush your writing.

What I like: I really do like this story, however, I think you could've honestly stretched it out some more. I love the idea but it could be slightly better if you add more to it. Just my opinion.

What I dislike: That it feels rushed. I'm not sure if it is just something you quickly wrote up, but I really don't like that when reading, it sounds rushed.

Character Development: Again, more detail would be nice. I think you could describe your characters more. What do they look like? Give a little backstory? Try an elaborate more on them.

Descriptions: I keep saying things regarding detail. More detail allows you to add description.

Suggestions: Heh, no need for this. I think you get it.

Dialogue: Dialogue is very cramped. When a character is talking, you always hit enter. Like this:

After the two started to work, Kellen glanced at Kaneki and said, “Kaneki...I have something to tell you…”

Kaneki just stared at her for a second. “What is it Kellen?”

“Kaneki...I-I think I like you…” That’s when Kaneki had finally decided to tell her.

“Kellen… I like you too…” So the two started to go out and lived happily ever after.

Sentence Structure: I think it's fine, just make sure they all make sense and you reread your work. Little mistakes here and there are fine because all writers mess up, but I think you could use a tiny bit of work.

My Comments: I think you have potential, and I like the idea, but again, it's too short of a short story to understand anything that goes on. Just try adding and experimenting with the plot. It'll do you some good in the long run. ^^

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:03 pm
godlypopo wrote a review...

Hey, Godly here for a review!
First of all, love the name Kaneki - it's awesome. (Yes I watch Tokyo ghoul) I love the story idea, it's interesting and unique really bringing the story justice. However there are a few things that you should consider in future pieces and when you give this another look:

Your opening is a little generic and can put off the reader. Instead of saying There was once a boy named kaneki. He had blue hair and the most beautiful silver eyes. You could make this a lot more gripping whilst keeping the initial narration by saying something more like: There's this boy that goes by the name kaneki - what truly stands out are his beautifully silver eyes that shine amongst the mess of his light blue hair. If you altered the structure of your sentences and made them more descriptive it would many times better.

Another thing to work on is not to rush the story so much. Take all the time you need to emphasise little details to truly bring the story to life - show the story not just tell it. This way it flows more and isn't as jumpy throughout.

My final improvement is more nitpick so I'm sorry. When writing you really need to check over it for punctuation and spelling errors. It makes the story a lot shinier and slick so the story itself looks a lot better. As well as that when writing speech, you need to make a new paragraph so it's clear who is speaking at what time. If you don't do this it gets confusing for the reader.

Other than that this is an awesome story with amazing potential and I look forward to seeing you improve in the future.

Best regards,
Godly :D

thanks!

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:22 pm
serendipitous wrote a review...

Hello :)
So yeah your storyline is pretty cool, it's so dreamy and duhhh! funny too. I'm sure you wrote it just for fun, but since it's a review, I'd like to tell you that there are many punctuation mistakes and.. grammatical mistakes too, and ....at a few places the tenses are wrong. However the narration is great, you could add little more details though. And I loved how you used your imagination. If you really want to keep writing you have spend a little more time I guess, besides I'm very new here too in The YWS...so lol I'm also very clueless. But you show a great potential, you need to brush your skills. Keep writing please.

Thank you for the review. I wrote this back in like 7th grade where my grammer sucks. Opps. But thanks for pointing that out to me!

I didn't mean to be mean or anything.. but haha... maybe you would want to make changes..now :)

yeah. it's fine. I wasnt much of a great writer in 7th grade

Who knows anything about anyone, let alone themselves.
— Hank Green